FM 2014 Pre-Release Beta - Official feedback thread.

Last night I tried to sign Bernard. Shaktar and I agreed on 18 million, plus a few add-ons. The total came to about 22 million. Then, when it got to confirming the deal, the 3rd party wanted 10.5 million. I assumed would have to pay the 22 million and the 10.5 million if wanted to sign Bernard.

I cancelled the deal and clicked on Bernard again. Under make offer, I saw the option to Encourage Agent Ownership. I wasn't too sure what it was, but I thought I'd experiment. The third party didn't agree on a low percentage, so I went to a higher percentage (35% I think). It then took me to a Make Offer screen and it allowed me to agree a deal for less money (around 20 million in total). However, this time when I went to confirm the deal, the 3rd party demanded 22.5 million. Again, I assumed I would have to pay both parties, and that the deal would be about 45 million! I cancelled this deal as well, and backed away from Bernard.

Could someone please explain the Encourage Agent Ownership option? It doesn't seem to have much benefit to it?

Also, the game never actually confirmed that I would have to pay the agreed fee AND the third party fee. It doesn't give you a total, but it does say 'Purchase All'. Am I right in assuming that you pay the transfer fee AND the 3rd party money?

Also, I'm playing as Liverpool. I didn't think players can be owned by third parties in England?

Thanks.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone else finding your central defenders to be constantly getting below 80% during or after a match? In previous FM games they've usually been the ones with the best fitness levels after matches (rarely dropping below 85% in a normal match schedule), in FM 14 they seem to be the ones with the lowest.

As an example, my head physio says that Per Mertesacker is in need of a long rest - having played 18 games by the beginning of December, while Koscielny "could do with a rest" after 19 matches within the same time frame. None of them have had injuries in my save so far either. These two are also consistently at the bottom fitness level-wise.

I'm expecting this to happen to box-to-box midfielders at best, not to central defenders.

For inevitable questions about team instructions, the ones that affect the defenders are:

Push Higher Up

Use Tighter Marking

Use Offside Trap

I've also checked for rest before and after matches.

Also, during highlights, why am I being shown the opposition's player ratings and fitness? I know I can click to see my own team, but that should really be the default.

Do you have any examples? Have you tried negotiating them?

yeah a few , it just seems that they are very high , for example Fabio Coentrao wanted 38k appearance money and 110k wages , ok he is a good player but someone asking for 38k on top of 110k seems high , I managed to get it down to 28k after negotiating

might just be certain players?

Really like the transfer system so far , so much better than fm13!

Would like to second what Nico said a couple posts up about central defenders burning energy faster than most other positions. Oddly it seems like strikers burn the least energy. And I don't use most of the same instructions as stated in that post, so I don't think its use of the push higher up instruction.

I have a couple of issues with the pre-match "scout report" page.

The opponent's formation in the top left corner alternates between the two formats in the images below, and I'm not really sure why all that information couldn't be displayed on a single pitch, with the names below the strips.

2qizlfr.png

rjkxhs.png

What purpose is served by the first of the two images, where you can only see the formation and squad numbers of the players, but not the names of the players?

In addition, the league table on the right is squashed to the extent that you can't read any of the teams' names. Surely stuff should be resized to make those visible? And my team (Kilmarnock) isn't highlighted in this table, which I presume is a bug rather than a really rubbish new feature?

Everything has improved other than this valuation system.

I was after a striker for my Liverpool team as Sturridge was awful in my first season. Chelsea initially wanted 121 million for Lukaku. I got them down to 61 million after a lot of bartering. I moved onto Javier Hernandez (reluctantly). United wanted 93 million for him- I got them down to 51 million. Obviously, I didn't pay 51 million as that's absurd. He rarely plays in real life!

I ended up changing my tactics slightly and pushing Suarez up as a central striker, and then I signed a few wingers. One winger I signed was Yarmolenko. He was valued at 7 million and I paid 10 million for him. I accept you usually have to pay more than what players are worth to sign them, but Lukaku and Hernandez aren't worth more than 15 million on my game, so why on earth would they be valued at over triple that by their clubs?

Now that FFP has been included in the game, it will be simply impossible to sign some players without getting points deducted. In around 2018 in FM13, Neymar was priced at 145 million. If the valuation system is the same this year, there's no chance of signing any big names early on with FFP now being included.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I agree with an earlier post in regards to the coloured bar showing the players efficiency in a certain position. It's so hard to see whether it's a bright green or a darker green, and was much better in 2013.

Here we go again. Players get nervous for no (or totally bogus) reason, you play really well in a match of no real importance and much better than the opposition but instant poor result every time. This completely unrealistic scenario has completely spoiled the game play in the last 3 or 4 versions of FM. It is utter nonsense. No solution:

- changing tactics doesn't work (and why should tactics resolve the issue of a nervous player anyway?).

- replacing the player doesn't work. Like a disease, someone else becomes nervous instead.

- telling the player there is no pressure rarely works.

Also, very little evidence of any relation between player ability to handle pressure and them getting nervous. This is just cheating through terrible programming.

Yoki - as Chelsea and Man Utd are Liverpool's rivals that has a huge influence on inflating the price.

Sturridge cost Liverpool 12 million. Then if you look at recent transfers going the other way, Meireles and Benayoun went to Chelsea for I think 12 million and 6 million respectively. Hardly big money moves. Okay, Torres was 50 million, but that's a bit of an anomaly. At least he was proven to be a top level striker at some point in his career, Lukaku and Hernandez are hardly in the same category.

• Administrators
Here we go again. Players get nervous for no (or totally bogus) reason, you play really well in a match of no real importance and much better than the opposition but instant poor result every time. This completely unrealistic scenario has completely spoiled the game play in the last 3 or 4 versions of FM. It is utter nonsense. No solution:

- changing tactics doesn't work (and why should tactics resolve the issue of a nervous player anyway?).

- replacing the player doesn't work. Like a disease, someone else becomes nervous instead.

- telling the player there is no pressure rarely works.

Also, very little evidence of any relation between player ability to handle pressure and them getting nervous. This is just cheating through terrible programming.

Please raise the issue with examples on our bugs forum and we can look into it - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/347-Match-Engine-3D-and-Team-Talks

Thanks.

The purpose of the Profile is to show you a snapshot of the player specifically and not how the player rates in comparison to another player. You can always right-click on the player's name when viewing a list of players and select the "Compare With" menu option for quick access.

I don't want to compare him with another player, but to see how he ranks among all players playing at that position at the club. This info would be very useful in Player Profile.

Sturridge cost Liverpool 12 million. Then if you look at recent transfers going the other way, Meireles and Benayoun went to Chelsea for I think 12 million and 6 million respectively. Hardly big money moves. Okay, Torres was 50 million, but that's a bit of an anomaly. At least he was proven to be a top level striker at some point in his career, Lukaku and Hernandez are hardly in the same category.

Big difference though. Chelsea and United are not looking to get rid of Lukaku and Hernandez.

Can I ask a quick question regarding UI performance; is it a known & fixable issue? With an i7 and 580 I'm getting pretty poor performance in terms of the interface. The search bar takes too long to drop down, some parts like tactics can be really noticeably bad... I muddle through and if it's like FM2013 I'm sure if I switch off the GPU 'acceleration' it'll run smoothly again but without the bells and whistles. What's the chances of this being fixed?

...that being said the new interface, especially with the zoom option (which is a godsend!) is a fantastic improvement.

After playing it for a few hours it really feels like beta. A lot of small bugs/quirks that at this state have absolutely no right to exist especially considering the fact that they existed in previous games. One example: scrolling down the players list in 'Search player', going into player profile, click 'Back' and BAM - you're once again in front of the list and must once again scroll it all the way down.

Anyway, what I found weird is the fact that physios, goealkeeping coaches and general coaches (including fitness ones) were thrown into one bag when deciding about the limits for the current staff role. It's silly imho and completely unrealistic - one of another changes made by SI that could be put under category called 'it was good, we wanted to make it different/better but we broke it instead'. WHY MUST YOU DO THIS EVERY YEAR? Some features which actually work shoudl stay the same!!!

Well my first run through has been a disaster.

I have played FM since 2010 (and CM for 15 years!) always play Villa and this season is so hard it is unplayable. Beneteke is absurdly underrated as is the rest of the squad (Delph, Agbonglahor, Lowton, Guzan etc). I am finding the new tactics set-up difficult to work (why change a system that wasn't broke!). Really not enjoying the game so far.....

Well my first run through has been a disaster.

I have played FM since 2010 (and CM for 15 years!) always play Villa and this season is so hard it is unplayable. Beneteke is absurdly underrated as is the rest of the squad (Delph, Agbonglahor, Lowton, Guzan etc). I am finding the new tactics set-up difficult to work (why change a system that wasn't broke!). Really not enjoying the game so far.....

I dont know what you are doing but the game is way too easy actually at this moment. So it has to be your tactics.

I've mentioned this now for the last two releases. I was happy when you added the extra "type" of leagues you want to apply for when you go on holiday however I really really really really want to be able to slect which contries I apply in. So tired of going on holiday and my assistant applying for countries I do not want to apply for in.

Many thanks

Has anybody noticed that occasionally after a goal is scored the game will not advance until every single player has taken their position for the ensuing kickoff? This happens even before the replay is shown and it doesn't happen after every goal. It's one of those things that wouldn't be quite so big of a deal if it weren't for the fact that I only seem to notice it after those *($LKJ 94th minute goals that make you drop points.

Has anybody noticed that occasionally after a goal is scored the game will not advance until every single player has taken their position for the ensuing kickoff? This happens even before the replay is shown and it doesn't happen after every goal. It's one of those things that wouldn't be quite so big of a deal if it weren't for the fact that I only seem to notice it after those *($LKJ 94th minute goals that make you drop points.

This was an issue on FM13 as well. It's not every goal as you say.

On another note, is goalscoring a bit unrealistic for anyone else? There's four or five goals a game for me every game at the moment. I've seen the odd 8-2 and 10-4 result too, with players score six goals a game. Assume this is just a natural part of the beta version of the game that needs to be fine tuned?

This was an issue on FM13 as well. It's not every goal as you say.

On another note, is goalscoring a bit unrealistic for anyone else? There's four or five goals a game for me every game at the moment. I've seen the odd 8-2 and 10-4 result too, with players score six goals a game. Assume this is just a natural part of the beta version of the game that needs to be fine tuned?

Yeah. Been reported a few times. Defensive issues. Will be sorted hopefully in time for full release.

Big difference though. Chelsea and United are not looking to get rid of Lukaku and Hernandez.

Yes, but in real life they'd fetch nowhere near that much. Hernandez, maybe upwards of 15 million? Chelsea paid a lot for Lukaku, and he's better now than he was, so maybe 25 for him?

Neither would cost anywhere near 50 million.

sorry if this has been asked - but is it possible to "tutor" a young player any more? I cant seem to find it

There is 2 ways.

Click on a player. Under "Overview" there is a sub-section called Private Chat. It's just that this button has been moved.

The other way is to click on a player and go to the Development---->Training tab. The bottom right hand side of the screen will list 3 possible tutors for the player.

Yes, but in real life they'd fetch nowhere near that much. Hernandez, maybe upwards of 15 million? Chelsea paid a lot for Lukaku, and he's better now than he was, so maybe 25 for him?

Neither would cost anywhere near 50 million.

No way. Would you sell someone as lethal in front of goal as Hernandez or Lukaku for that little to one of your main rivals? IF Hernandez leaves, it won't be to a club in England. Lukaku is someone Chelsea will really want to hold on to. They won't want to sell at all, let alone a rival club. They're telling you to pay over the odds for him if you want him. Completely normal.

The purpose of the Profile is to show you a snapshot of the player specifically and not how the player rates in comparison to another player. You can always right-click on the player's name when viewing a list of players and select the "Compare With" menu option for quick access.
<br><br>I don't want to compare him with another player, but to see how he ranks among all players playing at that position at the club. This info would be very useful in Player Profile.

I am not sure if this is the bug or it could be due to my tactic but I seems to conceding awful quite a lot, no matter what tactic/instruction I tried, I am guaranteed to let in a goal or two. Is that a known bug or?

I am playing as Burnley and although I wasn't conceding that many goals I certainly wasn't doing very well. When I looked at the number of shots, the opposition consistently had. 20+ shots every game. I found I was continuously tinkering with tactics but nothing seemed to work well enough. I brought the shot count down but only by playing very defensively with only 1 striker. In the end I went back to basics, played 1 DM as Anchor, 2 MC, 1 AM and 2 ST with simpler tactics and suddenly I stopped losing and the shot against count was way down even to teams at the top of the league.

So, if you're like me, you may have overcomplicated the tactics leaving your players confused and ineffective. Hopefully, I have turned it round in time to avoid being fired (Roy Keane has already made his interest in my job known to the media!).

Is anyone else having severe problems with fitness in their second season?

The first season i would rotate my squad like usual and i had no problems. I'm now eight league games into my second season (16 in total) and i can't play one match without having to rest 4 or 5 players because their condition is 80-90% going into the next match. Focusing training on fitness hasn't helped in the slightest, neither does giving players a day or two off training. I'm rotating more than i ever have before and still it isn't making any difference, it's becoming really hard to field a team now. I literally cannot field the same player twice in a row unless i want them to play at 90% of less.

great thank you - i did this and found it however the option to tutor is greyed out when i am in the conversation for some reason

There is 2 ways.

Click on a player. Under "Overview" there is a sub-section called Private Chat. It's just that this button has been moved.

The other way is to click on a player and go to the Development---->Training tab. The bottom right hand side of the screen will list 3 possible tutors for the player.

I did a quick holiday sim to 2034 to check out the state of the long-term save. It looked good but there were a couple of issues I noticed:

--Relatively few players have any PPMs, let alone the 2 or 3 that some players have in the starting database.

--I don't think I saw any world-class level players who were two-footed (or even remotely two-footed (i.e. Very Strong/Fairly Strong)).

--An overly high (in my opinion) percentage of the "new" managers play a $$@ formation.

--This is based more on a gut feeling than anything, but I feel like there isn't a wide enough range of player templates (i.e. there appear to be few ball playing CBs, quick keepers, etc.)

great thank you - i did this and found it however the option to tutor is greyed out when i am in the conversation for some reason

Usually if you hover your mouse pointer on the greyed out text, a tooltip will tell you why it is greyed out.

For starters, I want to make my great satisfaction at this wonderful game, congratulations to the entire team Sigames, I'm passionate about FM and I am very excited about the result of the beta! I complained that much in 13 fm the slow game compared with 12 fm, am very pleased with the speed of the passing of days, is very fast! I hope that optimize even more, because the grace of the game manager and not be weighed! : )

Here the notebook was a lot of noise when the game was going for in itself (3d or 2d), as well as spending a busy day in the transfer market, I see that it has improved! ! ! Regarding the interface found it very good, clean, organized'm just waiting for the dark skin which I always play. Interaction: press - players, these general characteristics of the game were very good, all I ever asked!

The 3d here fell the only star who had (in 12 was 1 star is now zeroed), but did not see any difference in the quality of the graphic to why I am not a fan of 3d, 2d liked very much to the back of the graphics when have prevented, goal or any bid now and still appears to player photo, sensational! I came to comment here on the forum about this if I'm not mistaken had in 06 fm!

Well now I will comment on errors that would like to see improved:

- Here before a game when I click to go to match and appears "teams are warming", it takes a while to appear escalations

- When I click on reports or ask for directions to the crew takes a little screen appears, not instant and I think as it should be

- When I click on tactics, also takes a bit to show the field with the players.

- When I click on preferences takes to appear all the page settings, was instant in FM 12 and FM 13

And I leave a question, it would be possible or the game is already more optimized for the full version?

Am enjoying it so far, but the game is so rigid - I slightly criticized the club for not investing more in youth training facilities, and was told that in order to keep my job I'd need to get 11 points out of the next 15 available. I got 9 points, as during one game my keeper went off injured without a replacement on the bench and I duly lost. I'm (Brentford) sat very comfortably in 2nd place, having just beat Wolves in 1st place 3-1 away from home. I'm also in the quarter finals of the League Cup, beating Arsenal and Sunderland along the way. I got sacked for getting 9 point instead of 11. There's no team in the England where this would happen - cruising for promotion, quarter finals of a domestic competition with a League One team, and I've won 18 out of 26 since I took over.

Sorry guys I'm sure I've seen this but before my eyes start to scroll into my head.

I saw miles mention something like 250 bugs reported and fixed.

Are they updating them into beta version?

or waiting until full game is out?

Also if I start a career game on beta. Then change something in the editor when it comes out.

Am I correct in saying I will have to re-start a career game after messing with editor?

cheers guys

When is the beta 'updated'?

Where can i view the changelogs?

Is there big fat sticky topic answering those that I am so blinded I seem to miss it?

I think it was Neil Brock that said they'll only update the BETA if there was something major that needed fixing.

I guess the best we can hope for is to catch as many bugs as we can to have a more polished game at release.

This should be sooo removed. I mean, surely Rooney plays differnetly in different formations. If he is in 442 and 4231 I'd imagine his roles would be different his purpose on the pitch would be different.

Another not so clever idea is to get rid of playmaker and target man tick boxes. Setting advanced playmaker and automaticaly making him the playmaker has no sense. I just want player to play as advanced playmaker, i do not actually want all the balls to go to him.

same thing with target man. except now i can not specify if i want a ball to be played onto head or into space. i believe that is unnecessary removal of options. a small step backwards in a huge leap forward this year FM seems to be.

Actually, in a 442 and 4231 it will be different. 2 Strikers are STCL and STCR, where the single striker is ST. So here you can give Rooney two different instructions for the two tactics. The problem is when you have multiple formations with one striker up front or multiple with 2 strikers. Same goes for the other positions.

I would second the idea about including some indication as to the true transfer cost of a player.

It looks like not only are agent fees now deducted from transfer budget, but so is the first year of the players loyalty bonus.

At least that is the only thing I can think of for why I bought two free agents without paying agent fees and it still debited over $300K from my transfer funds to sign them both!

Archived