Sports Interactive Community
llama3

Pairs & Combinations Part 1: Central Midfielders

After watching the DLP-S operating in FM14, I feel like he gets forward more and supports attacks than in FM13 so may not be the best idea as part of the "2" in a 4-2-3-1.

After watching the DLP-S operating in FM14, I feel like he gets forward more and supports attacks than in FM13 so may not be the best idea as part of the "2" in a 4-2-3-1.

I tend to find he sits well, in fact my criticism is the opposite, doesn't give me enough of an incisive passing threat in the games I play him with a BWM(D).

I tend to find he sits well, in fact my criticism is the opposite, doesn't give me enough of an incisive passing threat in the games I play him with a BWM(D).

llama3, you don't find that the BMW-D still goes all over the place in your 4-2-3-1 set up? I would definitely feel safer using the DLP-S next to him, as you do, but I'm always hesitant to pick a BWM in the AM triangle set up. Generally I stick to CM-D as it seems a safer bet yeah? Especially in a more fluid system anyway.

llama3, you don't find that the BMW-D still goes all over the place in your 4-2-3-1 set up? I would definitely feel safer using the DLP-S next to him, as you do, but I'm always hesitant to pick a BWM in the AM triangle set up. Generally I stick to CM-D as it seems a safer bet yeah? Especially in a more fluid system anyway.

Yeah I am sometimes wary, sometimes I make up for it by dropping the "2" to the DM strata, but it benefits some games. I don't play him in every game, I change what roles and duties I select during each game depending on opponents. Its either a DLP(D) & BTB(S), or in games I want to be more defensive its BWM(D) & DLP(S). The former is Arteta & Ramsey/Wilshere/Diaby the latter is Flamini & Arteta

I'll also weigh in about having no defensive duty. I have a three-man DM triangle, as you call it, with a regista (support, obviously), advanced playmaker (support) and central midfield (attack). The regista, simply because of his deep positioning, provides good defensive support. Often he is right between my two centrebacks, seeming almost like a half-back. I have had the best defensive record in the league in all my four seasons so far (third-last finish, midtable finish, promotion, and now mid-table... all with no central midfielder on defend and all with the fewest goals conceded)

I'll also weigh in about having no defensive duty. I have a three-man DM triangle, as you call it, with a regista (support, obviously), advanced playmaker (support) and central midfield (attack). The regista, simply because of his deep positioning, provides good defensive support. Often he is right between my two centrebacks, seeming almost like a half-back. I have had the best defensive record in the league in all my four seasons so far (third-last finish, midtable finish, promotion, and now mid-table... all with no central midfielder on defend and all with the fewest goals conceded)

An interesting little tactical nugget there. It is what SFraser alluded to when he talked about "Defensive skill in an Attacking Shape or Attacking Skill in a Defensive Shape" - i.e. you have attacking skill but in a defensive shape.

I've just come back to FM after a 3 year hiatus. Like Lathund above I have been using a 4-1-2-2-1 with a DM 2x CM & AMR/L's. I have the DM(D) as an Anchor a CM as a AP(A) and one as BBM(S), the AML as a Winger(A),the AMR as a IF(A), and the forward as a F9(s). Bear in mind I am playing with Worcester so my players are not elite by a long way (mind you neither are the opposition lol). Going forward this set-up can provide beautiful play and I am 2nd in the league so far in goals (52 in 26) but I have also conceded 45 with a lot of 10 goal games (think back to Ozzie managing Spurs or Keegan at Newcastle, more recently). So I need to experiment a bit more with the DM role, as this clearly isn't working, and/or possibly switch with this becoming a support role and having one of the 2 MC's take up the defensive duties. The other option is to make either of the AM's into a support role but I'm loathe to do this as this part of the tactic seems to be working.

Sometimes certain roles or duties conflict with your defensive plan - i.e. a high pressing game with an anchorman, or a compact shape with a ball winning midfielder.

In the end I decided to switch the DM to a BWM(d) and put the AMR onto a Support role. So far so good with only 4 goals conceded in the last 6 and those were 2 each in 2 matches. What's even more pleasing is I don't seem to have lost any of my attacking potency as I scored 14 in the same period.

Greetings guys. i want to know the best suty to give a combination of a deep lying playmaker and a box to box midfielder. the midfielders i have currently in my team are BBM & DLP mostly so i made a tactic to accomodate them. well a BBM is support automatically. but i wanna know if its better to have my DLP on support or defend. the best roles for my DLPs are support according to reports. i have Thiago & Verratti. the reason for this is i find that during matches opposition get this odd through through these 2 and then mostly a goal comes in. i have my DLP on support duty currently. i dunno if i should make it defend rather and wont that limit maybe their qualities? I play a 4-2-2-2 with a winger and an AP(wide) with a target man & poacher. cheers

Spot on - switch to defend

great gonna try that. sent you a private message llama. need some help on a few player instructions as well so i could create the tactic i want though. cheers

Hey Llama,

Another quick question - how would you go about compensating for an MC (A) in an MC-MC-AMC midfield?

I am trying to re-create the Aaron Ramey role. Ozil is the AM and not going to be particularly adept at the 'Runner' role. Not sure about the MC(D) yet. Possibly Wilshere, possibly a new signing. I guess I am really asking about the implications for the rest of the team.

I personally would only use 1 if the wide midfielders were disciplined enough in their role and duty to help out defensively, otherwise you will massively expose your team on the break. You will need to make sure the central midfield partner will be very disciplined, and the AMC does not get in the way of your advancing CM(A) - so good roaming and movement are essential.

Great thread :)

In my Fulham, save, with full updates after relegation, I play my team a narrow 4-4-2 diamond.

CWB(A)-----CD(D)-----CD(D)----CWB(A)

----------------Anchorman(D)------------

-----------DLP(S)----------BBM(S)--------

----------------------AP(A)-----------------

---------------AF(A)---------T(A)----------

I can say I am leading Championship with 23 won, 3 draw, 3 losses =72 points so still a good few matches left to be played but the second position is 51 points :)

llama3, I noticed that you don't mention a three-man DM-MC-AM combo, is this because you generally don't recommend it, or because you consider it to be used so rarely it's not worth the attention? I currently play with a 4-1-4-1 DM Wide Asymmetric formation, with the DM in a DML position, the MC in an MCR position, and the AM in the AMC position. The roles are Defensive Midfielder (defend) for the DM, Deep Lying Playmaker (Support) for the MC, and Advanced Playmaker (Support) for the AM.

This is the first time I've tried playing with a formation like this, but it seems to be working. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.

llama3, I noticed that you don't mention a three-man DM-MC-AM combo, is this because you generally don't recommend it, or because you consider it to be used so rarely it's not worth the attention? I currently play with a 4-1-4-1 DM Wide Asymmetric formation, with the DM in a DML position, the MC in an MCR position, and the AM in the AMC position. The roles are Defensive Midfielder (defend) for the DM, Deep Lying Playmaker (Support) for the MC, and Advanced Playmaker (Support) for the AM.

This is the first time I've tried playing with a formation like this, but it seems to be working. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.

I too would be interested in llama3 thoughts on three man DC-MC-AM combo. I too have found this combo to work well in FM15 with Defensive Midfielder (Defend - hold position) for DM, Roaming Playmaker (Support) for MCR and Attacking Midfielder (Support) for the AMC.

I too would be interested in llama3 thoughts on three man DC-MC-AM combo. I too have found this combo to work well in FM15 with Defensive Midfielder (Defend - hold position) for DM, Roaming Playmaker (Support) for MCR and Attacking Midfielder (Support) for the AMC.

It can work. I am not a massive fan, just because I feel it creates natural holes and space for the opponents to play in, but there are merits in it. As long as you balance the roles and duties well it can work.

I used this (with wingers at MR/AML and a flat back four) in the beta and had a decent amount of success with it. The playmaker and AM dropped into the obvious holes to defend quite effectively.