Is anyone else let down by FM14 feature revelations?

Is anybody else a bit disappointed so far in most of the "new features" revealed by SI? Most have been "added question to press conference..." Who cares!? Press Conferences are stupid anyways IMHO. There have been a few good ones I've seen, mostly around scheduling issues and player information, but it really seems like 1 out of 3 are yet another "press conference" question. I'll probably still purchase it, but I really don't think the community as a whole wants more "press conference" crap.

What kind of new features are you expecting exactly?

I'm quite excited to the changes they've made to tactics this year. Not everyones cup of tea I appreciate, but the direction they have gone over the last few years with the TC has been excellent.

What kind of new features are you expecting exactly?
The kind of new feature for me would be that SI pencil in the tunnel, nothing more unrealistic when a player gets red carded and you have to watch him sit on a team mates knee, suits you sir :D

^^ Lighthearted post.

tbh this release seems to be the mother of all FM releases.. I havent been this excited since the CM/FM breakup!

and you 1/3 of the features are related to press conferences :rolleyes: - ALOT of the smaller features are little things that will elevate the game from great to bloody fantastic! Its the little things that count..

SI cant really change how football is played and/or invent new rules and competitions.. and those things are more or less perfect in FM so what do you expect them to add to the game? For me the sheer number of smaller features just tells me that FM has really come a long way and they now have the possibility to focus more on the smaller things and create the smooth efficient gaming experienc. Previsouly they introduced new major changes every year which ended up breaking 15 others things and then 5000 threads appeared on the forums complaining about all these new bugs.. this era is dead now, I believe, and we will see a better and more finished game every year from now on! - (and yes I know bugs will still be introduced.. I just think it will be far less than previously) - as a programmer myself I know that the more mature your software gets the less prone for bugs it is. (also heavily dependent on the skills of the programmers as well :p)

tbh this release seems to be the mother of all FM releases.. I havent been this excited since the CM/FM breakup!

and you 1/3 of the features are related to press conferences :rolleyes: - ALOT of the smaller features are little things that will elevate the game from great to bloody fantastic! Its the little things that count..

SI cant really change how football is played and/or invent new rules and competitions.. and those things are more or less perfect in FM so what do you expect them to add to the game? For me the sheer number of smaller features just tells me that FM has really come a long way and they now have the possibility to focus more on the smaller things and create the smooth efficient gaming experienc. Previsouly they introduced new major changes every year which ended up breaking 15 others things and then 5000 threads appeared on the forums complaining about all these new bugs.. this era is dead now, I believe, and we will see a better and more finished game every year from now on! - (and yes I know bugs will still be introduced.. I just think it will be far less than previously) - as a programmer myself I know that the more mature your software gets the less prone for bugs it is. (also heavily dependent on the skills of the programmers as well :p)

Exactly this!

Agreed!

Plus, I would rather have developers focus on improving existing features, and workout the bugs than to keep adding new features. FM already has its fans, they don't need to keep adding fancy new things. They need to take what they have and keep tweaking it each year.

There are a lot of fairly bland sounding tweaks, but when they all add up, it should make for a better all round product.

I'm pretty excited about the tactical changes. To be fair, they sound like significant changes with Player Instructions and new Roles, so it's not like all the "features" are minor.

There's been a lot more features anounced than just the press conferences. If you've missed them, I suggest you read up on them.

Also, I don't see what's wrong with improving press conferences. There's been complaints by many a user that the press conferences felt too generic & repetitive. What's wrong with SI trying to improve them?

I agree with others above, it's been a long time since I've been this excited about the release of a new FM.

I'm looking forward to FM14 more than any version for the past few years. I think there has been some great little improvements following on from the staff overhaul last year which was a terrific development imo.

I'm disappointed that pre-season in FM has again missed out on an overhaul this edition, but maybe that could be a "big" feature of FM15!

I'm really looking forward to this year's version. When there isn't a lot of MAJOR new additions to the game, it tends to mean that the rest of the game has been refined and will generally work much better than the previous year's game.*

*I never bought FM13 so don't know how well or badly the game was. This was based on FM12 being a massive improvement on FM11, and FM10 being a massive improvement of FM09.

There's a singular match engine. No 3d or 2d specific engine.......

Whatever, he doesn't like it, as most people don't. Stop looking for an argument.

Anyway tactical and individual orders are the big things for me. Hopefully they'll sort out the players always wanting to move on, adjust the away penalty and make the game smoother experience. Hopefully this time they'll test it thoroughly. I don't want to see silly basic mistakes like the press bemoaning a player's omission as he's on great form when his last game was seven months ago (slight exaggeration), little things like that makes it seem like no testing went on at all.

No. I don't want there to be sweeping changes year on year for the sake of it. I want to recognise the game i'm playing. An updated roster alone is enough for me to buy the game every year. Thirty odd quid for a years worth of entertainment is an absolute steal.

The introduction of Steam Workshop is a bigger feature than we've had since the 3d match engine. Giving the players the tools to make more game modifications is a step in the right direction, especially given the strong community FM has.

Is anybody else a bit disappointed so far in most of the "new features" revealed by SI? Most have been "added question to press conference..." Who cares!? Press Conferences are stupid anyways IMHO. There have been a few good ones I've seen, mostly around scheduling issues and player information, but it really seems like 1 out of 3 are yet another "press conference" question. I'll probably still purchase it, but I really don't think the community as a whole wants more "press conference" crap.

You've got to be joking there are far more new features than just the press conferences - suggest you take the tunnel vision glasses off and look at the wider picture.

When I first looked at the features I was a little disapointed until I looked at the bigger picture and what they will fetch to the game. Especially like the new tactics creator, Job interviews so you may not get the job depending on your answer, board and your philosphies, expanded press conference which will impact your players morale etc more

IMO the features that are added will complete FM13 which imo was a half completed game. Can't wait for new features which will immensely improve the gaming experience

OK, glad to be proven wrong. Yeah I'm excited about the DOF changes to be honest. Will be nice to specify what player I want. Also going to steam to get DB/graphic edits will be nice. I was probably just grumpy because I can't stand press conferences (in real life or in the game). Just wish they could be turned off in regular mode. Also the tones are silly, but maybe they got rid of them?

Have you ever seen your own heart? I'm guessing no, but I reckon you still accept it's there, even though you've never seen it.

To continue your metaphor, if a doctor attempted a thousand times to find your pulse and didn't find one, then you'd doubt your hearts existence.

I do hope it gives the press conferences more variety. Tired of answering the exact same 3 questions every time a former player is playing his club.

It will be the same 4 questions now per player lol. Tbh I don't mind press conferences, yes they are dull and boring but still part of the managers life and what you say does affect the players, so you have to be strategic in your answers

"As most dont", care to explain? Are you saying most people dont like the 3d representation from FM13, or most dont like the match engine from FM13? I would say both are massively incorrect.

Both, and that's what I mean, you're going to defend (the engine) until hell freezes over; hence pushing for the argument. -_-;;

Let's just agree I'm 'incorrect' and his dislike of the engine is wrong. Would that satisfy you?

Both, and that's what I mean, you're going to defend (the engine) until hell freezes over; hence pushing for the argument. -_-;;

Let's just agree I'm 'incorrect' and his dislike of the engine is wrong. Would that satisfy you?

Well, you initially said I was the one looking for an argument, not the user you quoted in this post. :D

The match engine in 2013 was absolute garbage on release.

So much so that I have barely played 2013, it got better with patches but I never got into it. 1800 hours on FM11, 1750 hours on FM12 , 476 on FM13.

Hopefully 2014 will be better out the box and looing forward to rediscovering my passion for FM after what is pretty much a year off (relatively speaking) following a solid 12 months of FM12 (which I loved).

So for new features Im not overly fussed if there are huge bounds forward, I just want a nice solid game this year.

To continue your metaphor, if a doctor attempted a thousand times to find your pulse and didn't find one, then you'd doubt your hearts existence.

Wouldn't - I'd just think he was an absolutely rubbish doctor.

I'd agree, but the prices of £20-30+ for a 'new' game and you have to ask is it worth the money? For me yes, but completely understand those who are underwhelmed and thinking somebody is taking the pee a bit.

Pricing and annual release with four months of patching strategy as us being testers for free work for SI, sure they're making tidy sum so what the hell. I'm happy and in to looking forward to it.

His like or dislike of the ME is his opinion, however your statement that most dont like it, is incorrect.

I don't know about everyone else, but I felt the difference between FM12 and FM13 was quite substantial, and anytime you see somewhat of a revolution with a game, there are going to be glitches that need fixing and/or ideas they probably wanted in FM13 but didn't simply have the time to implement them without fixing the initial problems. Interface wise, I know the difference between 12 and 13 isn't much, but we certainly have had to tweak our tactics for the newer ME. Maybe I'm just talking out my arse, but hey! :p FM14 certainly seems like more of an evolution from FM13 to me, but I thoroughly enjoyed that game aside from a few things, which SI seem to have focused on improving and/or eliminating. I'm extremely excited!

Let's face it, you can pretty much guarantee, no matter what, that the below will be true on release

1) There will be bugs. Probably a lot of them, but mostly minor

2) A good proportion of people posting on the forums will say they hate the game

3) A lot of "GAME BREAKING BUGS!!!1!!1!2131" will be reported very loudly

4) Someone will proclaim the game itself to be the worst in the series yet

5) The development team's ability will be questioned

6) Someone will put their smug face on, and say "maybe you should test it next time"

I could easily go on, but one thing will certainly be true...

7) The silent majority will find very little real problems, and just enjoy the game

Basically, SI cannot win, and there will be the inevitable ****storm come release day. But most will just calmly get on with the game and probably *gasp* actually enjoy it.

Am I the only one who wants an overhaul of the 'facegen' system?

How many years ago was this introduced and the quality now pales in reflection to what we expect computerised people to look like.

Graphics are a great way of introducing 'freshness' even if they are cosmetic. The generated faces look tired and generic now almost ten years since they were introduced.

Archived