Sports Interactive Community
glenjamin

Can a player punch a referee?

Just read on a different forum that a player received a 9 month ban for punching a referee after being sent off. I've been playing FM since 05 and I've never encountered this. Shennanigans or a really rare event?

I've certainly never seen it, and I wouldn't think it is actually possible in game

I think arse command went extinct at some point shortly after CM became FM.

Yeah, I think in ye olde days it may have made an appearance, but certainly not in any recent iteration.

I remember encountering something like this with Juan Sebastian Veron while he was still at Man Utd. Can't remember properly if it was for punching, but he did something after being sent off and was banned for an enormously long time.

In the long, long ago of CM there was a file you could edit/add (I can't remember which) that would allow silly stuff like this to happen. Garry Neville once spat on a spectator and received a season long ban in one of my games, and a number of players were sent off for 'Offensive gestures towards the crowd'.

It definitely used to be there, but I always thought they'd coded it so only regens can do crazy stuff. Actually I didn't know if it was still in the game, as it didn't happen very often; maybe just once in all the time I've played it, and it wasn't one of my players, so unless the player was bookmarked, you wouldn't know. However it doesn't seem that long ago I thought about buying a player, only to find that he was serving a world-wide ban for this kind of thing. How time flies. I think it should make a comeback, but only for regens, but boy, would it be frustrating if one of your star players did it.

but I always thought they'd coded it so only regens can do crazy stuff.

If memory serves it was set so that only regens would do it by default, but the arse command allowed existing players to do it too.

It was pushing the referee, not punching. It came in the version after di Canio did it for Sheffield Wednesday IRL and was in the game for one or two versions.

Yeah it was there a long time ago, but its kinda pointless being in the game, too dangerous for SEGA now a days anyway.

I wouldn't add it:

Would seem silly to add this while they have the fair play banner in the start screens.

This will only lead to more bugs, people will complain if this happens too often or not often enough.

If they do add this again, then I want to have a command that allows me to hit a player.

So basically there's been no proof that you punch a referee especially in the latest editions of the game?

On a related note, do they have anything that has such a low probability of occurring? Basically once every century, over all leagues everywhere, playable and non-playable?

I'm thinking like lightning striking the pitch during a game as it did in the DRC, though nothing so dramatic and horrible obviously.

Emmanuel Pettit got a nine month global ban for me after he pushed the ref over.

So basically there's been no proof that you punch a referee especially in the latest editions of the game?

Its not in the game now a days, so not possible, not unless you have edited things, and even then im not sure you can edit this into the game.

With a real player, it's impossible.

With a newgen, it might​ happen.

100% in the old days similar things happened. I remember Calton Palmer (I believe if memory serves me right) getting an 8month ban on FM or CM. (likely CM as was in my youth when I lived at home and was at School etc.)