Sports Interactive Community
antbonc

CM's without Defend duty

yes, many times, thought it has to be said that DLP/s is a more defensive role then a couple of other once you can set on d

It is possible, although funnily enough, I actually found the problem to be more during the build-up phase than the defense. With a sensible enough framework, you can make it work. Probably too much trouble to be worth it though.

Same as Falakh, I've used dual DLP/s, with CB on defend and everyone else (I think everybody else) on attack using mainly a counter strategy. Works out to global mentality with CMs slightly deeper and CBs deeper in a 4231. I think its roughly the same as SFrasers' Meet The Team (although he tweaked more heavily). Didn't use the tactic/framework too much but never noticed any glaring tactical holes. I should probably note that my 2 CM's were defensive/playmaker types and not all-action get-up-and-down the pitch types which undoubtedly helped.

Actually, thinking about it I'm pretty sure I've used all 2xsupport roles and 1xattack role in a 433 shape (DM, CM, CM) which was fine too.

How "defensive" a CM role/duty is, depends on a) Forward running. b) Mentality relative to his team mates. And to a slightly lesser extent c) Roaming, creative freedom and runs with ball. Example: A DLP on either defensive or support duties would both be "defensive" midfielders, just one slightly more so than the other. A central midfielder with no forward running, low(ish) mentality, no roaming, low(ish) creative freedom and no running with ball would be as "defensive" as you can get 'em. I currently use a DLP/defend and CM/support combo in my 4-2-3-1 tactic. I would happily give the DLP a support duty too, were it not for a) I don't really want a player in that position to attempt to run with the ball too much. b) The players I have for this position/role are very good defensively, and very good passers, but just good creativity and decision making. I therefore want to limit their creative freedom somewhat. Hence DLP on defend duty, and not support. Once I get hold of a player with both very good defensive abilities and very good passing, creativity and decision making, I will happily give him a support duty (but with no running with ball). He would still remain my primary "defensive" midfielder. Alas, such players are rare, and hard to get.

So, to the OP's question: Yes, it's possible to make a successful tactic without any of the CM's on defend duty, as such.

I have currently a nicely working tactics with a DM set to DM (S), and two CMs as CM (S) and CM (A); it's all within a 4-1-2-2-1 formation.

IMO you don't need to have a defend duty as long as one midfielder is set to hold up ball, but their mentality and closing down will determine how keen they will defend and screen the D-line. DLP(s) has a defensive mentality, hold up ball as yes, and high closing down so it works.