Sports Interactive Community
diddydaddydoddy

Whats the real difference between an attacking wing back and a defensive winger?

Playing as Liverpool, BR likes Johnson/Enrique to play very high up the pitch and I want to replicate that in FM. Is it as simple as an attacking wing back's priority is defending over attacking and vice versa for a defensive winger?

Thoughts/advice welcome

(mods move if it needs to be in Tactics forum)

Wing Back's don't act as they should in real life and usually struggle with the defensive side of the game whereas a defensive winger will attack but he will also do the defending job for your team aswell.

Playing as Liverpool, BR likes Johnson/Enrique to play very high up the pitch and I want to replicate that in FM. Is it as simple as an attacking wing back's priority is defending over attacking and vice versa for a defensive winger?

Thoughts/advice welcome

(mods move if it needs to be in Tactics forum)

Well IMO:

An attacking fullback will start from a deeper position and make lots of forward runs ahead of the ball as well as dribbling more while defensively he should close down the opposition and attempt to win the ball more often.

A defensive winger starts from a more advanced position and rather than making lots of forward runs will look to turn and make himself available for passes, he'll play shorter, safer passes as the team moves forward only making deep forward runs when space becomes available. Defensively he shouldn't dive in as much and try to stay between the ball and his goal harrassing the opposition whilst keeping the defensive shape.

Well IMO:

An attacking fullback will start from a deeper position and make lots of forward runs ahead of the ball as well as dribbling more while defensively he should close down the opposition and attempt to win the ball more often.

A defensive winger starts from a more advanced position and rather than making lots of forward runs will look to turn and make himself available for passes, he'll play shorter, safer passes as the team moves forward only making deep forward runs when space becomes available. Defensively he shouldn't dive in as much and try to stay between the ball and his goal harassing the opposition whilst keeping the defensive shape.

I reckon you have got it. Couldn't of put it better myself.

I also feel the wing back position is not represented well in the ME. In FM they try to be like a hybrid of FB/W positions whereby they fall into a back line like in a traditional defense but dart forward instantly when the team wins position, sort of like a full back with an old school long forward arrow. Meaning they will rarely be in a position to fully commit to either role and they're useless in transition. A defensive winger seems a much better representation of how a wing back should behave, although not ideal.

Well IMO:

A defensive winger starts from a more advanced position and rather than making lots of forward runs will look to turn and make himself available for passes, he'll play shorter, safer passes as the team moves forward only making deep forward runs when space becomes available. Defensively he shouldn't dive in as much and try to stay between the ball and his goal harrassing the opposition whilst keeping the defensive shape.

Kind of what I thought but put much better than I could have done.

How would you set up Johnson/Enrique?

Kind of what I thought but put much better than I could have done.

How would you set up Johnson/Enrique?

I play Johnson and Enrique in the full back position but with their roles as Wing backs. Johnson is an attacking wing back and Jose is set to support. Though I do concede half my goals down Johnson's side so I'm thinking about changing him to supporting aswell.

Really pleased with my wingbacks in my tactics. They are getting right up to the edge of the box and sliding passes in as well as doing the odd run to the byline. I set them to man mark the opposition wingers, and they do a good job there as well.

I play Johnson and Enrique in the full back position but with their roles as Wing backs. Johnson is an attacking wing back and Jose is set to support. Though I do concede half my goals down Johnson's side so I'm thinking about changing him to supporting aswell.

I have Enrique (because of his pace he gets caught out of position less often and can transition to attack faster) on attack and Johnson on support, it works quite well. My right side is super-solid and my left side is a little more protected an my BWM plays on the left side of central midfield.