Sports Interactive Community
wazza

FM14 - What club will you start with and why?

Most likely the club I support, Ajax. Basically kick off every new FM version with them, not in the last place because of the familiarity with the club and players :)

Bury. My team. Under new ownership, with an entire squad of new players (we just signed our 22nd player today) with new ambition and new money.

IRL, the owners want to get to the championship in 5 years. I want to see if I can do that.

Don't like using English clubs while the game is in Beta so might start with a team in the lowest reputation league and go from there :)

As usual I'll start with the best team in an easy league. So Celtic for a season or two. Once I'm used to the game I'll probably manage Monaco.

But I'll most likely choose a team in Italy. Can't say no to that league.

Bury. My team. Under new ownership, with an entire squad of new players (we just signed out 22nd player today) with new ambition and new money.

IRL, the owners want to get to the championship in 5 years. I want to see if I can do that.

We did that, signed 22 players (charlton). Got promoted to Championship! Good luck Bury!

I will most likely start as Arsenal.

I like Pool and Spurs but to many changes to make managing them interesting.

Bury has signed 22 players, apparantly 2 more going to them as well.

that will be a fun one as the money is there, I had fun on FM13 pre january update with them, with 2 poachers banging in silly ammounts.

Brisbane Roar, as usual. Then work my way up through the lower divisions in european leagues.

I think I will hold off buying FM14 as I'm currently well into a save with Kettering doing dafuge's FM13 challenge. Once I've completed the challenge, or got as far as I can (currently in the Premier League and just won the FA Cup) I'll start on FM14. I think I'll try Gundo's FM13 European Adventure Challenge™ as I like the idea/challenge of managing abroad, as I haven't done it for years, since the Championship Manager days (showing my age!)

Real Oviedo, just as last year. Although I am tempted to give Cultural Leonesa a go now they are back in Segunda B (I played them in FM2009 and they are my most successful team to date).

Either:

Aston Villa: Currently enjoying FM13 save with them and like new additions.

Spurs: For a 'have you seen how cool my squad is ' save.

Lille: The team i support. Plus an extra challenge with a gutted squad against Monaco & PSG.

Nantes: Ive been wanting to do a Nantes save since FM10.

Gosport Town: To placate the wife.

well thats a hard one for me - it actually is as the challenge has been getting bigger each season - Pompey of course!

The one good thing about our descent down the professional football ladder is that FM gets more interesting each year.

But you know, I'd quite like it to stop now.

AFC Telford like I always do, first goal with every new FM game is turn AFC Telford into world champions

Just reavaluating - the clubs I may go for are:

Unemployed - most favourable at the moment as I have never started this way before and it sounds interesting going for lots of interviews at the beginning of career in FM14 which I don't know if that will happen if you just pick a club

York City - a low down league club close to the area I live

Hull City - The club I support, but would like to see what Steve Bruce can do with them in the game before I take over later in my career

Pompey - a club slipped down the league ladder - would be a challenge to restore former glory

Rangers - could prove to be too easy

Wolves - to attempt to stop the slide down the league

Bury - Recent takeover could be interesting team to manage

North Ferriby United - In the BSN and also local to me

I'm a massive fan of taking a small team to the top. So much so that in 4 versions of FM I have never actually managed the team I support, Palace. This year I may just play them, as it should be a pretty tough challenge to keep them up. Other than that I want to do another Penya Encarnada save (haven't done one for a couple of versions) and an 8th tier English team.

Wonder if you pick a club to manage at the beginning of the game you have an interview before been accepted for the job - would be interesting

I have all ways started with Hartlepool which is the team that I support but for FM14 I will either start as unemployed with a sunday league rep or a team from Conference North.

Always a BSP or BSS team. I like to take note of player improvements up the leagues for any future PRM team save. Mind you I keep telling myself to wait for 15, but no doubt I will relent around xmas.

Decided unemployed will be more realisic may do what other people have suggested and wait for first batch of jobs to be filled.

Either Liverpool (my club) or start unemployed but intend on making it 1 career save. But I do say that every edition of the game and it never turns out that way. I usually have 7-8 saves ...

Gornik Zabrze because i was born there and i want to win the first title for them since 1988 (like i did in FM13). But after a couple of seasons including some switches to bigger clubs, i will start a save with Bayern, because the AI will once again totally destroy them (last non Bayern save they only won 1 title in 10 years and sold all top players without replacing them).

Could be unempoyed non english team - hope there are a few biggish clubs to take over - on FM 11 I managed to start at Ajax on a Sunday league rep - god knows how

Either Liverpool (my club) or start unemployed but intend on making it 1 career save. But I do say that every edition of the game and it never turns out that way. I usually have 7-8 saves ...

Me too. Every single year I go in with the intention of playing one save only throughout the year. Only ever done that once.

Not sure yet, Evian TG in Ligue 1 (I like the kit), Yeovil Town could be fun in the Championship, my usual save in Wales, most likely to be Rhyl, and possibly, even though I hate them, Whitehawk in the Skrill South.

Also, when it gets released, a English Pyramid down to level 8 and be Burgess Hill seeing as I've put the players onto the game

Wolves could be good choice

I usually start with a nice easy job at Man United to get my eye in, before then tackling a long-term game at Welling United.

The others that interest me this year are:

- Aston Villa. The likes of Benteke, Lowton, Weimann, Westwood etc will all be improved. Good young additions in Luna and Okore.

- Southampton. Wanyama, Lovren and Osvaldo - phwoar. Plus the young talents like Shaw and Ward-Prowse.

- Wolves. Sleeping giant in League 1.

- Spurs. In all likelihood going to lose Bale, but Willian, Soldado, Chadli, Capoue and Paulinho makes for a very exciting team.

Will take up my customary youth obseesed Man Utd save that I have had over the last 3-4 years as my main save but will probably have a couple of other saves as well. Thinking about Bremen and Fiorentina mainly, maybe a lower league and South American team also.

Going for unemployed as I want to work my way to the top of the Hall of Fame.

No one. I will spend about 2 weeks playing with the editor to create my own database (and maintain it as the actual season goes on). The database I am using for FM13 has over 22,000 amends from the actual game one.

I much prefer to do this now and run holiday games. If I do ever play now as a manager, I choose a national team at random.

I think I'm starting with PSG. I like playing with big clubs that have fat transfer budgets, but ever since I started playing FM (with FM11) I decided I'd never play the same club twice just to keep things fresh and interesting. So that means no Real/City/Chelsea/etc.

This time I'm going to start with the club who has the most violent fan base. I have to figure out which one.

Benfica, because is my favourite club.

This year, i will also play with my home town club, Barreirense, because they got promoted and for the first time they will be a played club in FM! :)

I'm going to start with as small a side as possible, then try to earn global fame and fortune. Thinking about going for Scottish Third Division - perhaps Berwick?

If there's a fairly quick way to bring in lower leagues within the English Football Pyramid (I seem to remember it was previously possible to add the 7th tier just by ticking a box in the editor in one edition), might go lower still. Anyone know if this will be the case?

I'm going to do what I have never done, load the editor,add uk regional leagues and start unemployed. It's not going to be easy!

I have only just added the extra lower leagues on FM13. Once I've improved/destroyed Wigan athletic (I'm hoping the former) I may go to the bottom and see how I do on tight budgets etc.

Tough one. Might go to the Championship, and some Eastern European country.

No one. I will spend about 2 weeks playing with the editor to create my own database (and maintain it as the actual season goes on). The database I am using for FM13 has over 22,000 amends from the actual game one.

I much prefer to do this now and run holiday games. If I do ever play now as a manager, I choose a national team at random.

Why do not play the game? What enjoyment do you get from running holiday games? I'm curious.

The worst club in BSN/BSP. Its getting harder and harder every year. It used to be so easy but now in FM13 it took me a few years to get anywhere.

Nice to see Wolves a popular choice, as it should be aslong as the Wolves researcher gets the youth players correct, Ill be starting with them obviously

Probably start with Ebbsfleet United ...The Monaco of the BSS. :D

Then dominate Europe with PSG.

In FM11 I took Leeds United

In FM12 I took Shefield Wednesday

In FM13 I took Rotherham

This year Im not sure yet but will find something interesting surely.

I usually take the team to European Champions Glory then just hop around other clubs until the next Football Manager.

Why do not play the game? What enjoyment do you get from running holiday games? I'm curious.

I've played the game since it began and although I still enjoy it, taking a team and just building it up to glory doesn't have the same appeal for me now.

I now like to make my own databases and see what happens. At the moment I am running a game where I have given every premiership team 200 million pounds of transfer money, removed all debts, given them 500,000 wages, left their reputation the same and removed every player from every team (premiership only).

I'm finding it fascinating to see what teams sign what players and how long it takes for a club to implode.

Sadly what I find time after time is reputation is all that matters. It doesn't matter how much money a lower reputation premiership team has, a quality player would rather go without a club than join a lower club (no matter what wages they can pay).

I hope that FM14 addresses this problem because you can't tell me that the only reason QPR got in big names last season was because of their reputation!

This time I'm going to start with the club who has the most violent fan base. I have to figure out which one.

Enjoy your Millwall save.

I always start unemployed with sunday league experience and some of the lesser footballing countries of western europe loaded (down to the bottom). So I probably end up somewhere in fourth tier Norway or 2nd division Iceland. It depends on what leagues are included in FM14. If Dutch Topklasse (3rd tier) is in this time, I might go for that (as I'm dutch and it would be realistic to start in my native country). But if the Luxembourg leagues are in I might go for that. Can't go much lower than that!

I started my FM13 career at Morön BK in swedish 4th tier, 18 seasons later, and 5 languages richer, I find myself battling for promotion to the PL with Sheffield Wednesday. I started my FM12 career at minnows Cookstown Olympic in Northern Ireland. That really is the bottom, they don't even have a dressingroom IRL. That's exactly the way I like to start a career!

Bradford City for two reasons........

1, They are my team

2, Anyone who has been on planet earth knows we are going places :)

I'll play as Newcastle as I support them. That will last no more than 2 seasons and then I'll start my mandatory Journeyman Game which starts in South Africa (because that's where I'm from :p)

I've played the game since it began and although I still enjoy it, taking a team and just building it up to glory doesn't have the same appeal for me now.

I now like to make my own databases and see what happens. At the moment I am running a game where I have given every premiership team 200 million pounds of transfer money, removed all debts, given them 500,000 wages, left their reputation the same and removed every player from every team (premiership only).

I'm finding it fascinating to see what teams sign what players and how long it takes for a club to implode.

Sadly what I find time after time is reputation is all that matters. It doesn't matter how much money a lower reputation premiership team has, a quality player would rather go without a club than join a lower club (no matter what wages they can pay).

I hope that FM14 addresses this problem because you can't tell me that the only reason QPR got in big names last season was because of their reputation!

Thanks for the response. You've got a very good point about reputation. I hope SI address it, too.