The Scandinavian Shankly: From paupers to kings.

withnail316

You may think Everton are larger than life, but maybe scale down the logo just a tiny bit... ;)

Heh, big logos are my thing, man. This one isn't even as big as the Bodo one I'll look for another though :thup:

EDIT: The new one chops about a quarter off the original one... let me know if it's still too big.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For what it's worth, I hope you do take it. We really need someone to knock those red ba... devils off their perch! :D

Weird that they should dominate that much, but I guess it's because you only loaded the PL now and all those seasons have been simmed...

What he said. :D

Good luck!

However, we do have quite an old squad, and 18 (EIGHTEEN!!) of our first team are out of contract in the summer. I suspect there'll be a fairly substantial player turn-over in the next couple of windows.

That's rather common in my experience, especially at bigger clubs.

November & December

PL: Newcastle 1-5 Everton

A dream first game at the club, against a side I was interested in joining. Winger Niall Thackery put us in front after quarter of an hour, and midfielder Pedro Matos made it two seconds later. Korean striker Hwang Keun-Ho then grabbed two before half time for a perfect first 45 minutes. Young midfielder Milton Lancaster scored his first for the club in the second half, capping off a dream first game.

PL: Everton 1-1 Liverpool

My first home game was the derby against a strong Liverpool side, and they were in front within 20 seconds. Niall Thackery levelled 10 minutes later, and although we pressed for a winner, in the end a point was a fair result.

PL: Manchester United 3-0 Everton

Any thoughts I had about this easy evaporated at Old Trafford in a men against boys type display.

PL: Everton 2-0 Fulham

A much better display brought our first home win. Winger Charlie Keane scored his first for the club from distance, before he squandered a chance for a second from the spot. No matter, Hwang Keun-Ho sealed the points from close range with twenty minutes to play.

PL: WBA 0-4 Everton

Wowzers, I didn't see this coming. A truly magnificent display and another clean sheet, with Charlie Keane scoring two more. Hwang Keun-Ho and Federico Galloway got the others.

PL: Everton 5-0 Leicester City

The foxes are really struggling this season, and we were in no mood to be merciful. Keane, Matos, and OG and a Joseph Corbould double sealed a comprehensive win.

PL: West Ham 2-1 Everton

A disappointing end to 2035, but considering we played for 80 minutes with 10 men I can't complain too much. Winger Sam Deane grabbed our goal, but we weren't quite good enough on the day.

NewYear_35_36.png

Everton_FC_logo._1.png

Everton Football Club

Mid-season report 2035/36

It's been an interesting first few weeks at Goodison. I'm obviously happy with how things are going on the pitch, although with so few players it's difficult to get too excited - two or three more injuries and I'm no idea how I'll scrape a team together! I have been busy off the pitch building the squad though, with a particular eye on signing young English players. I have six players arriving in January, although to pay for it we are allowing five players to leave the club.

Transfers out

I showed you all an image of our best player, Federico Galloway when I arrived. As much as I'd have liked to keep him, he was adamant he wasn't signing a new deal, so I offered him out for £20m. There was lots of interest, and he agreed a deal with AC Milan to leave in January. Also going to Italy was defender Jordan Jenks-Gilbert, who goes to Atalanta for £9.25m. Slovenian striker Matej Gregonic is off to Celtic for £10m, while goalkeeper Shawn Burrows joins QPR for £1m and winger Karl Woolcott is off to Bristol City for £500,000.

Transfers in

Paying in instalments has been a God-send for us this winter. We've spent a ridiculous amount of money, but it was absolutely needed.

Striker Stephen Blackburn had a release clause for £210,000 in his contract at Swansea, and we managed to beat both Manchester clubs to his signature.

Stephen_Blackburn.png

Midfielder Roy Phillips is familiar to me after having worked with me at Bodø/Glimt, and he's become a fine player. He arrives for £12.75m from Blackburn

Roy_Phillips.png

Winger Will Simmons is another expensive addition, he'll cost £10m from Newcastle

Will_Simmons.png

Next to arrive is defender Dale Judd. I'd been watching him while in Norway, and while I could never quite justify the money there, at 23 he's well worth the £11.25m he'll cost us.

Dale%20Judd.png

Goalkeeper Matt Martin was signed by me as a youngster at Bodø/Glimt, but he couldn't quite get ahead of Darko Djedovic. He's spent most of his career out on loan, but he's a steal for £800,000, and perhaps he'll fulfil his "next Peter Shilton" tag at Goodison.

Matt%20Martin.png

Finally, Paraguayan full back Jose Fretes comes in for £7.5m from Serbian side Vojvodina, and should hopefully solve our most problematic area.

Jose%20Fretes.png

January

PL: Reading 2-2 Everton

A disappointing draw at a relegation struggler, but they had signed Thor Fremo from Nordsjælland, and he scored twice for them. In the end we needed a late leveller from Sam Deane for a point, Milton Lancaster got the other.

FA Cup 3rd Round: Everton 7-2 Mansfield

This was a little more open than I'd have liked, but I can't complain about our creativity. Dale Judd scored twice, Hwang Keun-Ho got three and Will Simmons and Mel Gwnyedd got their first goals for the club.

PL: Sunderland 0-0 Everton

Much the better side, but we just couldn't find the break through. We also lost winger Niall Thackery to injury, which probably rules him out for the rest of the season.

PL: Everton 2-1 Tottenham

A really even game, but our solid home form continued with a good win. Dale Judd had us in front early on only for Spurs to level straight after, and just when I thought I'd have to settle for a point, striker Darren Stubbs celebrated his new £115,000p/w contract in style with a ferocious finish in the last two minutes.

FA Cup 4th Round: Everton 3-1 Sunderland

I'm under no illusions about winning the Premier League this year, but I do have an eye on the FA Cup, so I'm delighted with this victory. Sunderland took an early lead only for Quentin Abraham to power home a header from a corner after 10 minutes. A Fretes stunner from range put us in front, and Darren Stubbs pounced a loose ball in the box to seal it.

PL: Everton 2-1 Wigan

Wigan are having a decent season and they gave us a real fright here. They led for the best part of 75 minutes, but Thomas Chatzidrosos and Dale Judd both scored from set-pieces to give us a very fortunate victory.

Jan_36.png

Good start to your Everton career! And at least Man Utd are being knocked off their perch - with a vengeance...

Yeah, I can't complain! United have not quite recovered from losing their manager in October, and City are flying. I play both City and Chelsea next month, so it could be a big few weeks for us.

February

PL: Everton 0-0 Manchester City

I'm quite happy with a point against the leaders, who haven't lost a league game for nearly four months. City were the better side on the day, but some dogged defending ensured we picked up an excellent point.

PL: Chelsea 3-2 Everton

The score doesn't tell the story of this game, and I can have no complaints over the defeat. Chelsea were 3-0 up after half an hour after a tactical experiment on my part completely failed. We improved in the second half, but two goals in the last 10 from Hwang Keun-Ho and Nicky Coleman were too little too late.

PL: Everton 4-0 Aston Villa

I persevered with the tactical tweak for our home game with Villa, and it certainly worked out this time. A double apiece from Darren Stubbs and Stephen Blackburn saw us pick up a fantastic victory.

FA Cup 4th round: Everton 0-0 Swansea City

Really disappointed with a dour goalless draw in the cup. We simply didn't do enough to break them down, and to make matters worse we also lost Stubbs to yet another injury - that's three in my time at the club.

FA Cup 4th round replay: Swansea 1-2 Everton

Swansea are flying in the Championship, and have lost only two home games all year. They started brightly and went in front, but two second half goals from former Swansea striker Stephen Blackburn were enough to set up a quarter final tie at Arsenal.

Feb_36.png

March

PL: Southampton 0-2 Everton

A really solid away display, and a deserved victory. South Korean Hwang Keun-Ho continued his fine form with both goals.

PL: Everton 4-1 Blackburn

Charlie Keane opened the scoring here after three minutes with a thumping header, although picked up a knock soon after. Hwang Keun-Ho put us back in front after Blackburn scored a penalty, and Stephen Blackburn fired home from 20 yards just after half time. Will Simmons applied the gloss to the finish with a volley 10 minutes from time.

PL: Nottingham Forest 0-1 Everton

Forest are fighting for their lives and they played really well here, but Roy Phillips settled it on the day with a peach of a chip.

PL: Everton 1-0 Norwich City

This was a really tight affair, and we simply didn't perform as I know we can. Nevertheless, Hwang Keun-Ho fired home his 19th of the season with five minutes to play to give us a largely undeserved win.

FA Cup quarter final: Arsenal 2-5 Everton

Wow. Our best performance since I arrived by some distance, and we're into the FA Cup semi final. Darren Stubbs has struggled with injuries since I arrived, but he ripped the Gunners to pieces and grabbed a hat-trick. Will Simmons and Stephen Blackburn got the others, and we'll meet Championship side Stoke City at Wembley next month.

PL: Arsenal 1-5 Everton

Arsenal were still licking their wounds a week later, and I picked the exact same side who almost repeated their last performance. Darren Stubbs scored another hat-trick, Stephen Blackburn scored another brilliant individual goal, and Hwang Keun-Ho scored at the death to open up a 12 point gap on 5th placed West Ham.

March_36.png

April

PL: Everton 4-1 Newcastle

An excellent display against a side who weren't far from challenging for the Champions League qualification spots. Stephen Blackburn put us in front before Stubbs scored a double, and Quentin Abraham sealed it late on.

PL: Liverpool 2-0 Everton

With the run we've been on I fancied us to get a result at Anfield, but a poor first 30 minutes cost us. We improved in the second half, but ultimately we weren't good enough on the day. Disappointing.

PL: Everton 2-1 Manchester United

The best way to get over derby disappointment is to play your next biggest rivals straight after, and we were excellent. Stephen Blackburn put us in front after 10 minutes, and although United levelled just before half time, Roy Phillips' penalty secured a big win.

FA Cup Semi Final: Everton 2-1 Stoke City

A really tense affair at Wembley, and the it took until the 92nd minute to decide who was going through.The first half was dour, but Dale Judd nodded us in front after 55 minutes. Stoke levelled in the 82nd minute after a sloppy pass in our half, but Hwang Keun-Ho popped up in the 92nd minute to divert an Abraham header goal-ward, and send us into a first cup final since 2009.

PL: Fulham 0-2 Everton

Incredibly, this result has put us within three points of Manchester City with three games to go, although I can't see them losing any of their games from now on. Stephen Blackburn and Quentin Abraham got the goals.

April_36.png

May

PL: Leicester 0-4 Everton

An excellent display against the already relegated Foxes, with Darren Stubbs running riot. He scored all four, and even missed a penalty in a near-flawless team display. Man City were on song too though, winning 3-0 away at West Brom.

PL: Everton 1-0 WBA

A really tight game, but a winner from Hwang Keun-Ho sent us top of the Premier League for the first time under my stewardship, although City could go back to the top with a win against Fulham on Saturday. In the meantime, we have the small matter of the FA Cup Final against Chelsea.

PL: Everton 0-0 West Ham

When I took over back in November, I'd never have imagined we'd be in the title picture this season, and certainly not on the last day. Alas, it was not to be though, and we couldn't find the breakthrough we were looking for, while Manchester City beat rock-bottom Leicester 8-0. A shame, but it's been a magnificent season regardless.

Final_table_36.png

The FA Cup Final

Saturday 10th May, 2036

Chelsea v Everton

Wembley Stadium, London

Wembley.jpg

Chelsea have had a really good season, they have one piece of silverware won already in the shape of the League Cup, and they had only missed out on a place in the Champions League final on away goals. A massive challenge for us, but fortunately we were only missing one first teamer, the winger Will Simmons. I decided to play Roy Phillips out of position on the right hand side rather than one of my more experienced wingers, and I hoped he'd continue his good form in a different role.

Chelsea run to the final: Watford, Portsmouth, Tottenham, Fulham, Manchester City

Everton run to the final: Mansfield, Sunderland, Swansea, Arsenal, Stoke.

First half

Incredible. Chelsea had the first shot in anger after three minutes, but a good save from Toko was followed up by a strong challenge from Fretes. He then found Phillips, who switched play to the left hand side, and he in turn fired a cross to Darren Stubbs to smash us in front. Just four minutes later it was 2, as Lancaster and Matos exchanged passes before the former picked out Stubbs on the right. Stubbs' cross found his strike partner Stephen Blackburn in space at the far post, and the Welshman fired home. After half an hour it was three, Abraham broke up a Chelsea attack and fired a diagonal ball to Niall Thackery on the left, who put an early cross on to the head of Blackburn for his second. Chelsea were all at sea, and just before half time we had a fourth - Thackery finding Stubbs this time, who nodded over the keeper and into the back of the net. An unreal first half - Chelsea 0-4 Everton

Second half

Niall Thackery picked up a knock at the end of the first half so he was replaced by Sam Deane on the left. Chelsea improved, and after an hour they were on the board through Marlon Bermudez. Two minutes later it was 2-4, as former Bodo man Stefan Van der Linden slotted home from the spot, following a Milton Lancaster foul. Any initial panic was short lived, as straight from kick off, Deane beat his man and found a perfect cross for Darren Stubbs to turn home for his hat-trick. Chelsea hit back with 13 minutes to play, a second goal from Stefan Van der Linden, and with five minutes left it was 4-5, Van der Linden again. This time I panicked, stuck men behind the ball and squeezed the space, and it took a goalline Judd clearance to prevent extra time, but we'd done it - just. Chelsea 4-5 Everton

FA_Cup_36.png

Everton_FC_logo._1.png

Everton Football Club

Season summary 2035/36

League (Premier League)

Predicted: 7th

Finished: 2nd (Champions League qualification)

Cups

FA Cup: Winners

League Cup: 4th Round

Top scorers

Darren Stubbs: 31 appearances (25 starts): 25 goals (18 in the league)

Hwang Keun-Ho: 43 appearances (29 starts): 22 goals (15 in the league)

Stephen Blackburn: 22 appearances (21 starts): 11 goals (6 in the league)

Positives

A really good first season in England, then. I'm delighted that we were able to win a trophy, and to be involved in a title challenge too was incredible. I'd have been happy if we'd just squeezed into the Europa League, but to get into the Champions League is something else. However, all those extra games means we're going to need a deeper squad, and with 6 players out of contract and leaving this summer, I'm going to have a very busy couple of months in the transfer market.

Negatives

I can't think of any. We've got more than £20m in the bank and with more to come, I'm hopeful of having a squad strong enough for another title challenge next year.

Ambitions

I'm not going anywhere, so my target is to turn the club into contenders every year. European football is my minimum ambition, although the board may expect more after the way this season has gone.

Surprise of the season

Being involved in the title race on the last day, as well as that ridiculous cup final...

Player of the year

TBC

Attendances

Lowest attendance: 11,100 v Scunthorpe (League Cup)

Highest attendance: 39,571 v Liverpool (Premier League)

Average attendance: 34,519 (37,496 in the league)

Finances

Everton_FC_logo._1.png

Everton Football Club

Season preview 2036/37

Media expectation: 6th

Board expectation: qualify for the Europa League

Transfer budget (remaining): £15m

Wage budget: £1.35m (£80,000p/w remaining)

It's been a very busy summer then as we look to continue to build from a decent first season. Unfortunately I've missed out on most of my transfer targets as Manchester United have gone nuts in the transfer market (£75m and counting) so I've not been able to buy the English core I was looking for. Hell, I've even lost out on one of my targets to Wigan, of all clubs. Anyway, I'm still fairly happy with the deals we've done, and with three weeks of the window left, I'm hopeful of adding one more player, with a ball winning midfielder my primary target.

The good news is that now my squad is more balanced, so I'm hopeful that we can cope with the extra problems playing in Europe will present us. To do so we needed to get rid of some major deadwood, so no fewer than 13 players have left the club on permanent deals, although we only got fees for three of them. Pedro Matos moved to Villarreal for £5m, Hwang Keun-Ho went to Palermo for £5m, while winger Charlie Keane joined Bolton for £1m. In addition to those leaving permanently, youngster Mel Gwynedd joined Dundee United on a season-long loan.

Transfers.png

Transfers in

Brian Holdsworth One of our problem areas was at centre back, and while Holdsworth isn't the greatest player in the world, he's a decent option especially for free, and will act as cover for Judd and Abraham, at least until Ray Royle is ready to step up.

Dawid Ostrowski I'd tracked the Pole from the moment I left Nordsjælland, and I was delighted to get him for £7.5m. He's particularly useful as he can play on both flanks, but he'll primarily play on the right.

Simon Babangida: Another familiar face, and at another decent price. Babangida was sold to Ajax for £5.5m when I left Nordsjælland, and the Dutch side put an £11m minimum release clause in his contract. I was more than happy to pay it, and he improves us immensely on the left.

Dennis ten Heuvel: I took my scout's advice on this one, with the Dutchman joining us for free. I'm not overly convinced, but I'll give him a chance and see what he can produce for us.

John Jairo Ortega: I knew we needed to improve up front this year, as Stubbs suffered with injuries a lot last season, and I felt his stand-in wasn't quite good enough. Ortega joins us on a free from Metalist, and provides us with a really good option. Indeed, I see no reason why he shouldn't start for us.

Mike Hoffmann: The former Dortmund winger had been released on a free this summer, and while he may be the wrong side of 30, he's far better than Charlie Keane, who was my original back-up option on the right.

Bernd Witt: This is the signing I'm most happy with. Witt might be 34 in a few days, but he's a legendary striker from his days with Germany and Juventus, and we beat both Manchester United and Real Madrid to his signature. His physical stats are decent too, so I'm hopeful we'll get a couple of seasons out of him, providing he can avoid injury. Not bad for free, anyway.

Loan deals in

As I've struggled to find the midfielders I've been after on permanent deals this summer, I've signed two on loan. Firstly we've signed Torgeir Stenerud from my old club Bodø/Glimt, who is likely to start as a BWM unless I can find one in the next three weeks, while Jakob Eskilden had left Nordsjælland just after I did and joined Manchester United. He'll arrive as back-up, although I'm hopeful we can get a permanent deal for him at a later date.

August

Community Shield: Manchester City 0-4 Everton

This game will always be a friendly to me so I can't take it seriously at any level, including on FM - but I have no complaints over our performance. We simply blew City away, and Stephen Blackburn put in his best performance since he arrived at the club. He grabbed three, and made another for Will Simmons, as we tore the champions to shreds.

PL: Reading 1-3 Everton

On to serious business then, and another solid display. Blackburn again put us in front before Reading levelled with a header from a corner. Simon Babangida scored his first for the club from 25 yards to put us back in front, and Bernd Witt sealed it from the spot with 5 to play.

PL: Everton 4-0 Swansea

Always good to win your first home game, but to do so in style makes it all the sweeter. Darren Stubbs nodded home his first of the season five minutes before half time, but it took three goals in the last 15 minutes from Phillips (2) and Ortega to seal it.

PL: Blackburn Rovers 1-2 Everton

A scrappy affair on the road, and we weren't helped by an injury to our keeper Thomas Toko, but Matt Martin was an able deputy on the day. Stubbs and Blackburn have both started the season strongly and were both on the scoresheet here.

August_36.png

There was an air of inevitability about our Champions League draw, too. A great test for us, and no pressure from the board to progress. I'll have an eye on 3rd at the worst, though.

CL_Group_36_37.png

September

PL: Everton 4-0 Aston Villa

Really pleased with this performance, especially as I'd rested a couple of players ahead of the Champions League game in midweek. Quentin Abraham put us in front with a thumping header after 25 minutes, and a Will Simmons drive made it two just before half time. John Ortega made it three with 20 to play, and Blackburn found the net late on for an outstanding victory.

Champions League Group B: Fiorentina 1-3 Everton

It's a really difficult Champions League group, so I'm delighted to get off to the perfect start. Darren Stubbs scored either side of half time, and although Fiorentina pulled one back with 20 to go, a lightning quick counter led to Will Simmons smashing home on the volley from 12 yards with five minutes to play. Excellent.

PL: Everton 1-1 Tottenham

Really disappointed with a draw here as we absolutely BATTERED Spurs. Darren Stubbs put us in front after half an hour but we couldn't find a second, and former Bodø/Glimt winger Liam March punished our profligacy in stoppage time.

Capital One League Cup 3rd Round: Leicester City 2-0 Everton

I must admit, I'm not at all disappointed to have been knocked out of the League Cup earlier on. It's difficult keeping a relatively small squad of players fit for the league, let alone with Europe and cup ties too. The board weren't greatly impressed, but they'll get over it (I hope.)

PL: Manchester City 1-1 Everton

A really good point at the home of the champions thanks to a solid defensive display. Will Simmons had put us in front after half an hour on the break, and although we led until the 70th minute, I'm still really pleased.

September_36.png

Hope you can do it this time.

I think the title will be out of reach for a while yet. Our first XI is really strong, but other than up front and in the near future at centre back, I'm yet to be convinced we have enough depth to look at anything more than a European spot. If we can avoid injuries we can finish in the top four, but I'd be happy with 6th I think.

October

Champions League Group B: Everton 0-1 Bodø/Glimt

A really good display against my old club, but in the end they were just a little better than us. Elton Lalifi has become a goal machine since I left, and his free kick on the stroke of half time was enough for the points.

PL: Fulham 0-3 Everton

A good response to our midweek defeat, with Stephen Blackburn running riot. He grabbed a hat-trick, his second of the season already.

PL: Everton 5-0 Newcastle

This was a battle of the top two, and we ran them ragged for 90 minutes. Darren Stubbs and Quentin Abraham both scored a brace, and a perfect Blackburn chip put the icing on the cake.

Champions League Group B: Everton 3-1 Valencia

This was a wonderful display which gives us a great chance of progression. Blackburn put us in front, and despite conceding from a corner, a double from Witt in the last 10 minutes ensured we'd join Bodø/Glimt on 6 points at the halfway stage.

PL: Middlesbrough 3-1 Everton

I'm painfully aware that some of my 2nd choice players aren't good enough for a side that wants to challenge for honours, and this game confirmed those fears. I'd had to make five changes following the Valencia game, and we just didn't have the quality needed to compete. Will Simmons scored a great free kick, but by that point we were 3-0 down, so it mattered for very little.

October_36.png

November

PL: Everton 3-0 West Ham

A great display. I'd just made Torgeir Stenerud's loan deal permanent, and he scored a rocket after 3 minutes to celebrate. Strikers Blackburn and Stubbs got the other two in an excellent win.

Champions League Group B: Valencia 3-0 Everton

Again I'd had to make lots of changes ahead of this game, and we simply weren't good enough on the day. No complaints.

PL: Everton 2-0 Norwich

Our home form has been excellent since I've been at the club, and Norwich were no match for us. Darren Stubbs scored both.

PL: Derby 1-2 Everton

A really even battle, but ultimately we took our chances. Will Simmons fired us in front after quarter of an hour, and although Derby levelled straight away, Bernd Witt got the winner after an hour from close range.

Champions League Group B: Everton 3-0 Fiorentina

Delighted with this victory, and it means we're safely into the last 16. We'll have to win in Norway to win the group, but I'm more than happy with second. Witt stayed in the side after his goal at Derby and he grabbed two more here, while Dale Judd thumped home a header for the third.

PL: Manchester United 0-1 Everton

United absolutely battered us. They HAMMERED us, but they were woeful in front of goal. Darren Stubbs scored with one of only two shots we had in 90 minutes, and we clung on for a greatly undeserved win. Still, I won't be complaining.

PL: Everton 0-2 Southampton

Typical. This was an exact replica of the United game, only Southampton scored with both of their two shots.

PL: Everton 6-2 Arsenal

This was nothing short of magnificent, with Darren Stubbs running riot. He bagged a hat-trick, and made two for winger Mike Hoffmann. Bernd Witt scored the other, to cap off a really solid month.

November_36.png

The eagle-eyed of you may have noticed Man United are missing from the 18 sides you can see - they're 19th, having won 2 games all season, and they recently sacked manager Niklas Pedersen, who had replaced Brendan Rodgers in February.

Think another pause of this thread is incoming. I'm missing the struggle that FM provides towards the bottom of the pyramid, so I'm going to start another save for a while, and come back to this later.

I know the feeling. It'll be an interesting change of pace starting on FM16 in a small league with shorter and simpler seasons, though it probably won't be long before I miss my Ipswich side :D

• 2 weeks later...

December

Champions League Group B: Bodø/Glimt 4-1 Everton

We played really well on my return to Norway, and despite falling behind in the first half, we levelled through a brilliant Blackburn drive just before half time. The second half was really even, but 15 minutes from time we conceded a second after falling asleep at a corner. I responded by asking the players to be more adventurous, and we were caught out twice on the counter. A shame, but I'm delighted to see us going through regardless. We'll meet Palermo in the last 16.

PL: Chelsea 0-1 Everton

Chelsea are having another decent season, and this was a really even game. Niall Thackeray got the only goal on the stroke of half-time, following up after a Bernd Witt shot was saved from close range.

PL: Everton 5-0 Sunderland

This was an excellent display, and Sunderland just couldn't live with us. Quentin Abraham scored two brilliant headers, and Simon Babangida got a double too. A close range Ortega header really put the icing on the cake.

PL: Liverpool 1-2 Everton

Nothing sweeter than a derby win, but Liverpool put up a hell of a fight. They went in front after half an hour, but Bernd Witt levelled from close range soon after. It looked like we'd both have to settle for a point after an even second half, but 10 minutes from time Stephen Blackburn popped up to drill home and send our fans into delirium.

PL: Everton 6-0 Wigan

We're certainly finding the goals at Goodison Park at the moment, and Wigan were simply swept aside. Bernd Witt scored another double, and Babangida scored the goal of the season so far with a wonderful chip. John Ortega, Stephen Blackburn and Milton Lancaster got the others.

PL: Everton 4-0 Reading

Our home form is beginning to remind me of my time in Norway - just relentless at the moment. Will Simmons, Stephen Blackburn and Darren Stubbs (2) put the struggling Royals to the sword in a very one sided affair.

December_37.png

January

FA Cup 3rd Round: Notts County 0-3 Everton

I've always got mixed feelings when I play against my own team in real life, but the lads didn't have that problem. We ripped them to pieces, even with a second string team picked. Thackeray, Witt and Hoffmann the goalscorers.

PL: Swansea City 0-6 Everton

We've scored plenty of goals in recent weeks, and this was one of our best displays yet. Stephen Blackburn scored a marvellous hat-trick, Darren Stubbs scored a couple, and Will Simmons, who has been attracting the attention of England manager Wayne Rooney in recent weeks, bagged the other from distance.

PL: Everton 4-2 Blackburn

We were magnificent going forward here, but very sloppy defensively. Thackeray, Hoffmann, Judd and Stubbs with the goals.

PL: Aston Villa 0-1 Everton

A very mediocre display, but Roy (of the Rovers) Phillips popped up with a scorcher from 30 yards deep into stoppage time to secure a priceless win.

FA Cup 4th Round: Everton 6-0 Burnley

Burnley are a League One side these days so I played a second string once more, but Bernd Witt took his opportunity with both hands. He scored all six here, and now has 17 for the season. Not bad for a player who is constantly a substitute.

PL: Tottenham 3-0 Everton

This was always going to be difficult as Spurs are going well this year, and we couldn't live with their expertise from set-pieces. All three goals came from dead-balls, and they kept us really quiet at the other end. A bad day at the office.

PL: Everton 2-1 Manchester City

The battle of the top two, and thankfully we did enough on the day to get the points. Stephen Blackburn's 20th of the season put us in front after 10 minutes, and Niall Thackeray, who has taken full advantage of Babangida's time at the Cup of Nations, popped up with the second just before half time. City pulled one back at the start of the second half, but they couldn't find a second.

January_37.png

9 points clear already? A great season so far!

Yeah, a bit of a surprise. If I can win the league this year I think I'll finally bring this career to a close. I'll have won titles in three countries, so in essence there'll be no more empires for me to conquer. It'll allow me to focus solely on my new thread, too.

• 3 weeks later...

February

PL: Everton 2-1 Fulham

A tough encounter at home against Fulham, and we fell behind early on from a corner. We responded well though, and a goal each from strikers Stubbs and Blackburn secured a good win for us.

FA Cup 5th round: Everton 1-0 Birmingham City

A tougher game than I expected against our feeder club, but we just had enough on the day. Mike Hoffmann got the goal on the hour, smashing home from 25 yards after beating three men.

PL: Newcastle 1-1 Everton

I'd been offered the Newcastle job just weeks before this game, but I knew we were in for a tough game against a side chasing Champions League football. Once again we fell behind early on, but Stephen Blackburn popped up with a leveller in the 88th minute, smashing home a close range volley after the Magpies failed to clear a free kick.

PL: West Ham 1-2 Everton

Our run of falling behind continued here, and I lost the plot with the players at half time. They reacted brilliantly, with Ortega and Hoffmann both scoring headers from Babangida corners, to ensure we finish the month well placed at the top of the table.

Feb_37.png

LOGO%20CHAMPIONS%20LEAGUE.jpg

UEFA Champions League- Last 16

1st Leg: Everton 0-1 Palermo

A hugely disappointing night at Goodison. We were the better side, but we simply couldn't find the break through. It was almost inevitable then that the Italians took the only real chance they created. Frustrating, but at 1-0 we still have a chance.

2nd Leg: Palermo 2-1 Everton

Gah. This defeat really hurt, especially as they were there for the taking. Stephen Blackburn levelled the tie inside a minute, but Palermo quickly restored their lead with a free kick. Despite us creating plenty of chances, it was the Italians who scored again 15 from time, capitalising on a Dawid Ostrowski error, and that was that.

March

FA Cup 6th Round: Liverpool 0-1 Everton

A really tough game in the quarter final, but we should have been out of sight by the end. So many chances spurned, but Simon Babangida's 7th minute drive was enough to take us to Wembley once more. We'll meet Arsenal in next month's semi.

PL: Everton 1-0 Middlesbrough

A really tight game of few chances, but Bernd Witt has been an important player in tight games this year, and his 20 yard finish on the stroke of half time was enough for the points.

PL: Norwich 1-4 Everton

One of our strongest displays of the season, despite falling behind early on. Darren Stubbs ended his brief drought with a close range header to level things, and then Witt, Eskilden and Blackburn put the Canaries to the sword in the second half.

PL: Everton 2-1 Derby

Very tough game, and Derby were a little unlucky to leave with nothing. Witt scored again to break the deadlock, and the German made the winner for Abraham with a brilliant cross, to ensure we maintain a decent gap at the top of the league.

March_37.png

Archived