The Scandinavian Shankly: From paupers to kings.

withnail316

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

UEFA Champions League Final

Saturday 27th May 2023

FK Bodø/Glimt v Chelsea

Stadio Olimpico, Rome, Italy

Stadio_Olimpico_2008.jpg

Bodø/Glimt run to the final

CL_run_to_final_23_BG.png

Chelsea run to the final

CL_run_to_final_23_Chelsea.png

A second successive Champions League final then, and I still can't quite believe we're here. It's been a tough run for both clubs, and I'm expecting a very even final. You may remember we met at the quarter final stage last year, drawing 5-5 on aggregate so we went through on away goals. Chelsea are into their third final in five years, but they haven't won the trophy since 2012.

We had a slight midfield shortage for the game, with both Tronstad and Jacobsen carrying knocks, and we'd also lost right back John Wold for three months with a hamstring problem on the morning of the game. My big decision was whether to go with in form Kristoffer Lindseth over Dario Torres up front, but in the end the Uruguayan got the nod. We therefore went with our customary 4-4-2, with 8 Norwegians in the match-day squad.

First half

Chelsea started really brightly, dominating possession and forcing save after save from Wolff. We just couldn't keep the ball, so I shouted "retain possession" from the sidelines, which slightly improved things. After 15 minutes we lost left back Dentuco to injury, so Osmundsen shifted across from right back, Kleiva dropped into the right back role, and Gouano came on to play on the wing. The change worked, and from a long ball from Osmundsen, Kleiva flicked forward into the path of Sandsund, who smashed home from 18 yards on the counter. 25 minutes in, and somehow we were in front. Our joy was short-lived though - a horrible error from Baros allowed Chelsea's Vincent-Day a chance from 6 yards, and they were level just two minutes later. That was how things stayed until the break.

HT: 1-1

Second half

No changes made at the break, although I told the players I expected more from them and got a reaction. We stopped allowing Chelsea time to dominate, and carved out a couple of chances, and on the hour mark we took one. Torres played a give and go with Sandsund before his shot was blocked, but Sandsund won it back on the edge of Chelsea's area and found a couple of yards of space. He let fly from just inside the area and his unstoppable effort found the top corner. 2-1, with 30 minutes left to play. Chelsea pressed and pressed, forcing more saves out of Wolff, and they couldn't force a leveller. Despite us only having 35% of possession, we'd done it. Another Champions League trophy:

FT: 2-1

CL_Final_23.png

Right then, just thought I'd let you know I'm going to make a slight change to my updating style. As I said previously, I became a dad a couple of weeks ago, so I've not quite got as much time as before. As a result, I've got less time to play, so rather than updating every month I'm going to make them more sporadic. I'll still update with all my European games and on youth intake day, but the domestic stuff will be much more limited. I'll probably update at the half-way stage of the season, and then my season summary at the end of the year, but I'll see how that goes.

Hopefully there'll still be enough to keep people interested, but I just need a bit of time to play the game.

Almost there :D

Yeah, not bad at all....

Excellent work. :applause:

Cheers, fella

I just read the entire thread, one word: AWESOME!! These kind of careers just inspire me to start a new game on FM! Good job dude, keep it up!

Thanks, man. And best of luck with whatever new career you pick up.

Hey. Great to see this thread back online, a really great story. Don't worry about letting fatherhood getting in the way of keeping us updated, we'll manage in the meantime and when the kids have grown up and will do anything but spend time with their parents you can always come back to Football Manager :)

Hey. Great to see this thread back online, a really great story. Don't worry about letting fatherhood getting in the way of keeping us updated, we'll manage in the meantime and when the kids have grown up and will do anything but spend time with their parents you can always come back to Football Manager :)

Glad you've enjoyed it, fella.

We got ourselves into pot one for this year's Champions League draw... not that it got us an easier draw:

CL_Group_23_24.png

This is also the first year we've had two Norwegian representatives in the Champions League. Rosenborg are the lowest ranked side in the competition, and ended up in a group with Ajax, Bayern and Atletico.

supercupm.jpg

UEFA Super Cup Final

Friday 1st September 2023- Ulleval Stadion, Oslo, Norway

FK Bodø/Glimt v Valencia

Another Super Cup final, and this one is in Norway too. Once again I want to win it, and so the strongest side possible was picked. Valencia have a good record against us, we've won just one of the four meetings, so this should be a tough game. They have also been taken over by a tycoon this summer, and so they are likely to be doubly tough.

The game started brightly for us, with Dario Torres hammering an effort from 20 yards against the post. We were dominating midfield, and Paulo Sergio caused havoc out on the left. His cross was met on the volley by the other winger Kleiva, but his effort was well saved. We thought we were in front in the 35th minute, when Dentuco's cross was powered home by Sandsund - but the goal was erroneously ruled out for offside. That brought Valencia to life, and early in the second half they were in front. We didn't deal with a free kick, and striker Dennis Hofmann put them in front from close range. I decided to press on, throwing players forward and bringing on a third striker, but we couldn't force a leveller and conceded again late on after an error from keeper Wolff. A shame, but if we're to lose a final I'd rather it was this one than any other!

SuperCup_23.png

How long do you think you might keep going? You haven't got any further to go and as you said you have too much going on with Withnail Jr to start anything afresh. I wouldn't blame you for taking an FM break soon.

How long do you think you might keep going? You haven't got any further to go and as you said you have too much going on with Withnail Jr to start anything afresh. I wouldn't blame you for taking an FM break soon.

Not sure, really. I won't be able to play quite so intensively for a while, so I might keep plodding away with this and see where we end up. I'm definitely due a break though.

• 3 weeks later...

BodoGlimtlogo.jpg

FK Bodø/Glimt - Season summary

League (Tippeligaen)

Media prediction: 1st (of 16)

Final_table_23.png

Cups

Norwegian Cup: winners

Norwegian_Cup23_fixtures.png

Champions League: 2023 winners

CL_Final_Group_2324.png

CL_group_results_23.png

World Club Championship: winners

WCC_23.png

European Super Cup: Finalists

Top scorers

Dag Even Sandsund: 44 appearances (41 starts): 34 goals (22 in the league)

Dario Torres: 37 appearances (31 starts): 27 goals (13 in the league)

Kristoffer Lindseth: 33 appearances (21 starts): 26 goals (17 in the league)

Paulo Sergio: 41 appearances (39 starts): 13 goals (6 in the league)

Positives

An incredible season, really. A second Champions League title and a third double in a row, we've been excellent on the pitch. The status of the league is really beginning to climb, and I've set myself a new target of hanging around long enough to see it move into the top five leagues in Europe. If not for having seventeen players called up for international duty on the day of a game, I'm pretty sure we'd have gone through the entire league campaign unbeaten. We also saw one of our youngsters win the player of the season award in the first division, after he scored 16 goals for Kvik Halden, and then this happened too:

Stadium_exp_23.png

This will take the stadium capacity to more than 30,000.

Concerns

Other than it taking me so long to finish the season, none at this stage.

Ambitions

As I've said, I'd like to get the Norwegian top flight into the top five leagues in Europe. It's gone up to 13th at the moment, which is already a significant increase.

Surprise of the season

Another European Cup!

Player of the season

Dag Even Sandsund

Attendances

Lowest attendance - 18,217 v Strømsgodset

Highest attendance - 20,247 v Dortmund

Average attendance - 19,654 (19,652 in the league)

Finances

£41,249,679

Best_XI_23.png

Some of these numbers are really piling up. What I am pleased to see though is that 9 starters of the best XI are Norwegian. I'd love that to continue, but we'll need much better youth intakes to see that, I fear.

BodoGlimtlogo.jpg

FK Bodø/Glimt - Season preview 2024

Media expectation: 1st (of 16)

Board expectation: win the title

Transfer budget: (remaining) £10.5m

Wage budget: £426,000p/w (£100,000p/w under budget)

So it's been slow progress with this over the last few weeks as I get used to fatherhood, but I'm not planning on jacking this thread in just yet! I'm finally at the beginning of the new season, and hopefully we'll be even better this time around. Rosenborg really rose to the challenge last year, and with the money they took in from their European adventure (they finished 3rd in their Champions League group) I expect them to be strong again this time around. As for us, we've spent a bit of money this window, including £8m on a familiar face...

We also received a bit of a financial boost after one of our transfer clauses was activated. Defender Edgardo Caivano, who was sold to Feyenoord for a record £8.75m a couple of years ago, left for Bayern for £17.5m - half of which ended up in our coffers. Result! We also spent money on infrastructure, with the stadium being expanded and the training facilities updated once more. All in all, it's been an expensive winter!

Transfers_winter_24.png

Players out

A couple of decent fees in there you'll see. I decided that French midfielder Romain Lavergne was too inconsistent and too injury prone to become a mainstay of my side. Considering he only signed six months ago on a free, I was more than happy to take £5.5m and a 50% sell on for him. I also took a gamble last year that Brazilian striker Renatinho was a better bet than Polish striker Krzystof Lagiewka, but I was completely wrong. The Brazilian also has a 50% sell on of his £4m fee. Other than that, the players to leave permanently have never really been good enough.

Of the loan deals, it'll be good to see 17 year old striker Tord Eliassen get some regular football in the Adeccoligaen. Kvik Halden were perfect for Aleksander Ottersen last year as he played every week and scored 16 goals, on the way to winning their player of the season. That taste of first team football improved him immeasurably, and he'll be involved with our first team this season as a result. Hopefully Eliassen and the others have similar joy this time around. The loan deal of Robert Gluhak is simply to buy me some time to decide about his contract - he needs games, but I now have three options for his position, and so it's perhaps time he moved on. We shall see.

Players in

Krzystof Lagiewka Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and admit you got a decision wrong. That's precisely what happened with the Pole - as I said, I gambled that Renatinho was a better bet and sold Lagiewka last winter. Renatinho couldn't hit a barn door, while Lagiewka scored 25 for Molde, finishing just behind Sandsund in the Golden Boot race. Whoops. Molde make a quick £5m profit, we get our striker back.

Joaquin Bobadila: The young Argentine provides us with additional cover defensively, meaning we've now got five central defenders I think I can rely on.

Nicolas Follet Another £10m signing, but I'm delighted with this one. As he's only 18, he's another who will become home-grown, and it now leaves central midfield as one of our strongest areas. He's been signed as a hot-prospect too, so no rush with him despite his fee - and we beat both Manchester United and Real Madrid to his signature. Progress!

Right, on we go. Just time for one pre-season friendly though before we play Atletico Madrid in the Champions League last 16 tie. Not ideal, but there you go...

500_games.png

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

UEFA Champions League- Last 16

1st Leg: Atlético Madrid 0-0 Bodø/Glimt

A solid first leg display, and I'd have taken the clean sheet at any time, but considering we were so short of match fitness it's even sweeter. We didn't offer too much going forward, but I'm hopeful our home form will see us through. (We've lost one home game in all competitions in the last four seasons - and we're unbeaten since we moved to the Bodø/Glimt Stadium.)

2nd Leg: Bodø/Glimt 1-0 Atlético Madrid

Phew. We really didn't deserve this, but I just don't care. The visitors were much the better side in the snow, but 20 minutes from time Dag Even Sandsund bundled a John Wold cross over the line from 6 yards, and we held on to see us into the quarter final.

Remember me saying that I was struggling to find Norwegian players who'll improve us? Well, it would appear the international manager is having an even bigger problem with it than I am - Norway have just dropped to record low of 106th in the world. That's behind giants of the world game like Estonia, Albania, Slovenia, Belarus and Cyprus.

On a related point to my last post, the more I'm playing again, the itchier my feet are getting. I've had some disastrous attempted moves in this career, but I've recently had something of a tidy-up of my laptop, and so I'm tempted to try again.... however, I'll probably stick it out until the end of the season.

I'd expect the next youth intake to be key to any decision I take though.

Good to see this thread and your success still going :thup: Big expansion, facilities improved again, good money in the bank, I think even if you do leave they will still be a very strong side thanks to your hard work.

Cheers, mate. It's been a really enjoyable career, I can't recall ever growing a club to this kind of level at any stage before, but I do hope if I move on they can sustain it.

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

UEFA Champions League- Quarter Final

1st Leg: Bodø/Glimt 4-3 Manchester City

Just absolutely ridiculous. I'd wanted to try and keep it tight, but we got the complete opposite. Dario Torres put us in front after just three minutes, finishing emphatically after a mazy run. City were level soon after as we failed to deal with a hopeful free kick, but Sandsund put us back in front after 12 minutes from the penalty spot. 10 minutes before the break we had a third, Arild Hauckland smashing home a loose ball, but City scored twice at the start of the second half as we fell asleep from two corners. Frustrating, but Gouano won it late on with a rocket. An outside chance of progress, but we'll need to work on our set piece defending!

2nd Leg: Manchester City 4-1 Bodø/Glimt (City progress 7-5 on aggregate)

Ouch, my pride. We fell apart defensively in the second leg, and no matter what I tried we just couldn't get a foothold in the game. Sandsund put us in front after just three minutes, but that was as good as it got. City completely overwhelmed us, so I can have no complaints.

Will be great to see what that bunch can achieve.

Yep, and most of our first team are only in their early 20s too. I can see a transitional period coming where we cut out of some of the deadwood, but even if I do leave the new manager will have plenty to work with. I won't be doing a Fergie!

This has been coming for a while, but finally confirmed:

Sandsund_record_goalscorer.png

If you remember, he was the first real graduate of our youth system, and he's gone on to become a club legend. Incredibly he's not even 24 yet, and he's now scored 171 goals for the club.

Dag_Even_Sandsund_May24.png

So here is how the first third of the new season has gone....

10_games_results_24.png

10_games_24a.png

10_games_24.png

Apologies again that there is less detail than before in my updates. As I said, now I've got less time I'm trying to streamline how much info I put into this so I can continue playing.

A big decision for me tonight. I've been offered a job at one of the big 4 clubs in one of the top 3 leagues.

Not normally the type of club I'd choose to manage, but I'll be able to take my best player with me if I leave.... Very, very tempted.

All to be revealed in the next day or so...

Conragtulations on your awesome run. Earlier in the day I was looking through the FM career forum and being a Liverpool fan I was drawn to your page. Had a look, didnt take much notice initially, thought I would read the first page and then leave but something hooked me in, I found your run captivating, couldnt stop reading,long story short spent better part of the day going through the all the pages.

Did anything ever come of Kvik Halden, in you earlier post page 3 I think, you mentioned that an american businessman bought the club and would invest 17m?

Don't go. Partly because of that young generation you've got, partly because getting sorted out somewhere new will be more effort than you can give it with a baby, and partly because with CL success in Norway there's isn't really a step up for you to take.

Conragtulations on your awesome run. Earlier in the day I was looking through the FM career forum and being a Liverpool fan I was drawn to your page. Had a look, didnt take much notice initially, thought I would read the first page and then leave but something hooked me in, I found your run captivating, couldnt stop reading,long story short spent better part of the day going through the all the pages.

Did anything ever come of Kvik Halden, in you earlier post page 3 I think, you mentioned that an american businessman bought the club and would invest 17m?

Cheers, fella.

Firstly, welcome to the forums. I'm glad you've enjoyed my thread, the Shankly link seems to have drawn in a few Liverpool fans! In fairness, it could have been Stein/ Busby/ Clough, but I appreciate it anyway. It's been a lot of fun, but it's even better that people have enjoyed it.

As for Kvik Halden, they got promoted to the second tier three years after their takeover, and three years later they are well placed to get promoted this term. They've become our feeder team, but they've stood by the same coach since 2013, so I'd love to see them get promoted to the top flight this year.

I'm interested to see who this new club may be :D
Don't go. Partly because of that young generation you've got, partly because getting sorted out somewhere new will be more effort than you can give it with a baby, and partly because with CL success in Norway there's isn't really a step up for you to take.

The club was Valencia, but I've turned it down. I do fancy managing in Spain, but I like to build clubs, and it'd feel a bit too easy starting at such a big side. I am sorely tempted to move, but a) it won't be until the end of the season if I leave and b) it won't be to such a big club. Too easy.

Probably a good move not going to Valencia in all honesty, I don't mind managing big clubs in smaller leagues but bar getting used to the game for a season when a new FM comes out I just can't be a top side (unless they have been relegated or something so I can rebuild)

Very rare I even do that. I usually start somewhere like Hereford or Mansfield on a new FM, although my very first save on 13 was at Lechia Gdansk! I have to go back to FM10 for the last time I spent any major time at a big club, which was five seasons at Juve, although I had about half a season at Inter on FM13 too.

I do think I've made the right decision, although I'm still tempted to leave at the end of the season. We shall see...

Archived