*Football Manager 2014 - ANNOUNCEMENT*

the introduction of ‘cloud save’ technology

Ahahaha. My save is 504MB. It would only take me a year to upload it.

Remember, developers, not everyone lives in London with a fibre connection. Thank you.

(I know it's optional)

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ahahaha. My save is 504MB. It would only take me a year to upload it.

Remember, developers, not everyone lives in London with a fibre connection. Thank you.

(I know it's optional)

Yeah, some of us live in Newcastle with fibre optic connections! Won't somebody think of the children!

"More realistic transfers" - FM13 offered this and I found myself paying 20m for young players valued at 800k. Is this being adjusted? FM13 brought so many great new ideas but I really would like to get back to bargain hunting and pretending to be Arsene Wenger. I'd also like player value to vaguely indicate... you know, player value.

Any news on this specifically?

• Administrators
i hope your not suggesting that Liverpool are a 'smaller' club! ;)

We were waiting for someone to bring that up! :D

More of a 'if a player outgrows the club' shall we say, certainly in the Suarez case.

I am really excited about the "More sophisticated board interaction." What I would like to see is the ability to request the board override their maximum salary allowances for a particular player so long as you have plenty of salary left over. There have been plenty of times that good players have been willing to negotiate, but I simply cannot offer them a large enough salary even though I have only half my cap or so used up.

Was thinking about skipping FM14 but there are a few good things being added.

"The FM experience is also more customisable than ever before, as the integration of Steam Workshop tools make it easy for managers to create and share customised FM content and experiences such as photo/logo packs, new and custom competitions and even tailor-made in-game challenges using the new Challenge Editor which has been incorporated into the free-to-download Pre-game Editor."

I am a big fan of the Steam workshop from other games, changed my entire Skyrim experience, having this for FM is really great and this alone could be tempting enough for me to buy FM14.

That's really good to know, being able to keep my squad together far too easily was the only real issue I had with FM13. Really looking forward to FM14.

I'm hoping my players will do things like announce they leaving on a bosman, turn down contract offers and just become unhappy a lot more easily. In 31 seasons on FM13 i've barely seen any of my players do these things.

I've found that time and time again I can keep a player by promising him the world within a year or two, then if I fail to achieve my promise, then I can simply re-offer him the world when he's mad again. Thus I hope you are right. At the same time, I've had issues where I have accomplished the promise and the player claims I have not. Or other times, my club has been growing substantially, but a player still claims it's too small.

I am a big fan of the Steam workshop from other games, changed my entire Skyrim experience, having this for FM is really great and this alone could be tempting enough for me to buy FM14.

Interesting, I've never heard of it before. What do you enjoy about it?

Interesting, I've never heard of it before. What do you enjoy about it?

Basically players make extra content,music,graphics, basically make changes to the game.

You can look at the list of the player made changes and if you see something you like you simply tick a box and that change will now appear in your game, you can select as many things as you like and it will be added to your game.

I would expect to see lots of photo packs and logos added rather quickly, different skins, would not even be surprised to see alternative commentary added.

The list is endless of the things you can see in games when using the workshop in other games such as Skyrim and I can see it adding a lot to FM.

It´s time to abandon this greedy, wasteful ridiculousness of yearly releases of basically the same game. Have annual downloadable database updates (for a fair price) and then release major new versions of the main game say every third or fourth year. Then people will have time to really play through each game for many seasons, the game will have time to get properly patched and finished and each new release will have major overhauls after being worked and improved on for years.

It´s time to abandon this greedy, wasteful ridiculousness of yearly releases of basically the same game. Have annual downloadable database updates (for a fair price) and then release major new versions of the main game say every third or fourth year. Then people will have time to really play through each game for many seasons, the game will have time to get properly patched and finished and each new release will have major overhauls after being worked and improved on for years.

Do you really expect that to happen? Far, far too profitable for them ever to consider not releasing the game yearly. Still, they aren't forcing you to buy it. Why don't you just skip a few FM's? It's win win for you. You can play through for many seasons, SI still get their money which helps them develop the game further.

Basically players make extra content,music,graphics, basically make changes to the game.

You can look at the list of the player made changes and if you see something you like you simply tick a box and that change will now appear in your game, you can select as many things as you like and it will be added to your game.

I would expect to see lots of photo packs and logos added rather quickly, different skins, would not even be surprised to see alternative commentary added.

The list is endless of the things you can see in games when using the workshop in other games such as Skyrim and I can see it adding a lot to FM.

Sounds like it has a lot of potential! Thanks for explaining.

Just don't buy it if you dont want it. It really is that simple.

Here’s how other announcements will happen over the coming months.

I’ll be teasing one feature a day, each week day, starting tomorrow on Twitter twitter.com/milessi with lots of info from twitter.com/footballmanager too – we’ll be playing feature roulette there every weekday from Monday 19th.

These will then be rounded up every Football Manager Friday at the FM website www.footballmanager.com, alongside videos going into more depth on teased features or showing match engine footage at youtube.com/sigames.com

There are far too many new & improved features to discuss all of them – so we’re leaving loads for you to find for yourselves too!

Rest assured that everything in the Football Manager Friday round up will be linked to from these forums.

For some reason i'm blocked from following you?

Just seeing the words "cloud" and "saving" together in a sentence is enough to make my love-spuds shoot right back up where they came from. Cloud saving is only good if you can maintain the internet connection required to access it, and the uptime of the servers where the data is stored. I don't need to iterate what happens if either goes down, and that either going down is not uncommon. Just please tell me it's optional. I don't know anyone, personally or otherwise, who doesn't appreciate having physical copies of their save data, even if it's just to make sure they always have a backup. Cloud saving takes a lot of that freedom away.

Just seeing the words "cloud" and "saving" together in a sentence is enough to make my love-spuds shoot right back up where they came from. Cloud saving is only good if you can maintain the internet connection required to access it, and the uptime of the servers where the data is stored. I don't need to iterate what happens if either goes down, and that either going down is not uncommon. Just please tell me it's optional. I don't know anyone, personally or otherwise, who doesn't appreciate having physical copies of their save data, even if it's just to make sure they always have a backup. Cloud saving takes a lot of that freedom away.

Yeah, was thinking the same thing here. The term ‘cloud save’ technology and the requirement for a broadband internet connection in the game specs left me feeling cold and clammy. Online activation I can live with, but if you NEED an internet connection to play then unfortunately I'm out for the first time in 15+ years. I play the game on my laptop on places where I haven't got 'tinternet.

Please can you confirm the cloud save is optional and that you don't need a connection to play the game-

Please can you confirm the cloud save is optional and that you don't need a connection to play the game-

I hadn't even considered that it might not be optional. That would be a very bad thing.

Hoping that the overhaul in the -more realistic transfers- will include loads of activity especially regarding your own players if x player has a ave rating of 7.54 (as an example) and your fighting off clubs to keep the player in question.

As I've mentioned many times, the transfer windows come and go with not alot happening.

Looking forward to this years release :thup:

Praying for the following fixes:

1) General improvement in the performance of narrow tactics. I found in FM13 that if you were trying to play through the middle it was very tough to score goals. Playing with 3 CMs or 3 STCs too frequently saw them all standing right next to each other and being completely ineffectual.

2) No more teams repeatedly making the same offer for the same player after it has been rejected.

3) Greater effectiveness of loans in player development. Almost every loan of a player to a Championship or League One side would result in a "that was a waste of time" message upon the loan's completion. At the very least more transparency in what has positive/negative effects on player development is needed.

Other than that I found FM13 to be very good and I think marginal improvements to UI and the 3D graphics are all that is needed.

On the new FM if you're a semi professional club will we able to offer amateur contracts to players?

As when working on a tight budget it's impossible to break even/not suffer a huge loss as your constantly having to pay weekly wages, and sometimes good amounts for back up players. An example in real life would be FC Halifax. They're semi professional in the Skrill Premier but have majority of their players on amateur contracts where they don't get paid during the summer, just when the season starts and competitive games resume. Feel adding this feature will really make being in charge of little clubs more enjoyable and more of a chance to progress.

Like any Steam cloud save it is completely optional.

That's a relief, thanks. So can the game still be played offline as usual? There is no REQUIREMENT for an internet connection once the game is installed and activated?

I was expecting/(hoping) them to not make it out like 1,000 was in any way a meaningful number.

1 amazing improvement is better than 1,000 made for numbers' sake etc.

Then scroll through the changes and see if that 1 change you wanted was there.

I got as far as 'Steam workshop' and was basically sold, that is huge for me.

Some other person may scroll past that and see something else, with every release you have to expect such a high number given the complexity of the game, some are very small and others are real game changers, it depends on the player.

I didn't say I wanted only one change. Just that every year it says "1,000" improvements, and every year it sets people up to be disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited for FM14, just sad that I will be no doubt fully sucked into the exact same questionable advertising rigmarole that goes on in identical fashion every year.

Then scroll through the changes and see if that 1 change you wanted was there.

I got as far as 'Steam workshop' and was basically sold, that is huge for me.

Some other person may scroll past that and see something else, with every release you have to expect such a high number given the complexity of the game, some are very small and others are real game changers, it depends on the player.

This, people need to stop fixating on the number, and look what for it is they want from the game. I'll probably benefit overall from the 1000 changes, but really bug fixes aside, I'm only looking for maybe a dozen things I want in the next installation. And if they are there and they sell me in the demo, then I'll buy it.

I didn't say I wanted only one change. Just that every year it says "1,000" improvements, and every year it sets people up to be disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited for FM14, just sad that I will be no doubt fully sucked into the exact same questionable advertising rigmarole that goes on in identical fashion every year.

I wasn't saying you only wanted 1 change, more along the lines of when you scroll through the changes is there 1 thing that stands out, or maybe even more that makes you think, "damn that is what I wanted", forget about the number of changes as I can bet you would not notice them all while you played the game.

Just focus on what you feel would make the game better for you and look at the list of changes.

Steam Workshop /big cheer.

even this date will be the release date?

Availability: Preorder now.

Release Date: 29 November 2013

It's a guess. They do this every year, most places get it wrong. No official set date yet. Unless I've missed something they said before Xmas, so anything october/november usually.

Archived