Good players out of contract but won't accept deals with clubs

Has anyone else noticed there are certain players who will not accept contracts with lower league/lower reputation teams despite the fact they have been without a club for months?

Martin Pattison (ex Burley) was released by then in January. He has now had offers from myself (Yeovil), Leeds and Wigan and rejected all the deals despite the fact he has been without a club for around 6 months. Surely he would accept some sort of short term contract just to get back into football?

Similar with Keane the young Man UTD CB - he was released on June 1st and has had no club. The t/fer window closes in 2 weeks and he will not agree a deal to go anywhere!

Fair enough I appreciate he may be hanging out for a 'bigger club' but I am offering more than he actually wants per week and he accepts the offer when in negotiations but then a few weeks later rejects the offer and the transfer is cancelled.

I agree, players should gradually lower their expectations, both in terms of desired club stature and wage expectations, over time the longer they are without a club, maybe some slower than others based on personality type with player agents overriding this factor to a degree.

I also think that maybe the player reputation should also take a hit if they sit too long without a club as well.

Yeah I agree. I have seen the likes of Rory Delap demanding 17k per week despite the fact he is without a club and is 36 years old. Surely he should be doing what he has done IRL and be prepared to drop the divisions for less money but more of a chance of first team football?

Bump another example of this found this morning. Will Hoskins of Brighton - decent player, could play Championship football was released at the end of the 2013 season. He now wants 11k per week which I cannot offer and he won't negotiate. No one else has shown any interest in him or made any offers and he is just sat without a club with only 6 days of the transfer window left. Surely he would be willing to accept less money just to get back into football?

But don't free agents have additional time to sign for a team even after the transfer window closes?

They do yeah, but these players have now been out of contract for about 2 and a half, nearly 3 months. They have missed the whole of pre-season and have effectively fallen onto the scrap heap....

Archived