Euro 2008...OOTP Style!

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SECOND HALF

53 mins (SWITZERLAND 2-1 SPAIN):

Valquez: "Gokhan will take the free-kick for Switzerland inside the centre-circle...plays a low ball forward to Esteban in plenty of space...he has time to turn and play a ball to the edge of the box where Frei is the recipient...he shoots immediately, I don't think Casillas is that aware of it! FREI SCORES FOR SWITZERLAND!! Incredible stuff! The Swiss have taken a two goal lead! But it's a howler by Casillas! He really wasn't paying attention there and he didn't move at all! Switzerland have a great chance of progressing now!"

Honeydew: "It was Frei's quick thinking to shoot first time that should get the plaudits here, Casillas will know he should have done better but it was still a well struck finish. The Swiss have been clinical tonight and there's nothing really Spain could have done to avoid this situation. Strangely enough, they've been outclassed so far! They will need to get themselves into this a bit more or else they're out!"

SUBSTITUTIONS (Spain): Vicente & Raul OFF Mikel Arteta & Silva ON (both tactical)

58 mins (SWITZERLAND 3-1 SPAIN):

Valquez: "Frei does just enough to keep the ball away from Fabregas, and sprays it out wide to Fernandes...he runs forward, shields the ball from Lopez, and looks to pass it back to Gokhan...he recieves the ball, and runs forward into space...plays a one-two with Alex Geijo who is on the edge of the box...he knocks it wide, and hammers it with the outside of his foot from around 20 yards out! GOKHAN SCORES FOR SWITZERLAND!! Unbelivable! It's Inler Gokhan's second goal of the game and it's Switzerland's fourth! They're extending a huge lead over Spain here! They seem to be the masters of long range, three goals coming from outside the box and the other just inside! Spain are fading without a trace here!"

Honeydew: "If you look at the stats, both have had 6 shots on target. The difference has been Switzerland have been much more clinical. Spain musn't be pleased, conceding three goals from long range is not waht you want! Gokhan has put on a masterful performance, two goals and dominating the centre. I asked if Spain would react after Frei's goal and they didn't, surely they're out of it now?"

78 mins (SWITZERLAND 4-1 SPAIN):

YELLOW CARD: Ludovic Magnin (Switzerland) is booked for holding onto the shirt of Joaquin (Spain).

87 mins (SWITZERLAND 4-1 SPAIN):

YELLOW CARD: Pirmin Schwegler (Switzerland) is shown a yellow card for pulling the shirt of Fernando Torres (Spain). He now has to serve a one-match suspension.

Valquez: "Joaquin to take the corner for Spain...he whips in an outswinger towards the near-post...Iniesta catches it on the half-volley and hits it at goal! INIESTA SCORES FOR SPAIN!! The ball fell level with the penalty spot, and with Iniesta completely unmarked he did a fine job of half-volleying into the bottom left hand corner past a sea of players! Is that just a consolation goal or is there hope for Spain in this match?"

Honeydew: "It's important. There's not long left at all in this match, but that now gives Spain a chance, can they get two goals in the next 3 minutes and however long we have of injury time? It's highly doubtful, but from the things we've seen this tournament, you never know..."

YELLOW CARD: Andres Iniesta (Spain) is booked for tripping over Julian Esteban (Switzerland).

YELLOW CARD: Cesc Fabregas (Spain) is booked for obstructing Alexander Frei (Switzerland).

90+5 (of 4) mins (SWITZERLAND 4-2 SPAIN):

Valquez: "Antonio Lopez holds up the ball on the left hand side, with whistles erupting around the stadium calling for full-time...he moves it forward to Fabregas, who plays a lovely aerial ball crossfield to Sergio Ramos...he plays a good ball forward to Joaquin on the right wing, who has plenty of time to play in a cross...lofts a cross to the far post, where Silva can head it back across goal! SILVA SCORES FOR SPAIN!! Another goal back for Spain! Silva races quickly back to the half-way line with the ball, surely there isn't enough time for another?"

Honeydew: "A good team move from Spain, but why hasn't it come earlier? Surely the whistle will be going as soon as we kick off, Spain must have left it too late now..."

FULL TIME: SWITZERLAND 4-3 SPAIN

SWITZERLAND ARE THROUGH TO THE EURO 2008 FINAL

SPAIN ARE OUT OF EURO 2008

Valquez: "I'll be honest, I didn't see Switzerland getting out of the group stages, let alone reaching the final of this tournament! But somehow they've done it, they've defeated Spain who were strong favourites, by 4 goals to 3. Bunsen, your thoughts please!"

Honeydew: "Pinch me Luis, I must be dreaming. Surely this isn't Greece all over again? You can hold nothing against the Swiss, they've been brilliant all tournament, Frei and Gokhan have stood out. Spain could have made the final, they had 4 more shots on target than Switzerland with less shots, but as I said early the Swiss have been extremely clinical. We said they'd need to play well if they wanted to get to the final, and they played that off perfectly. Spain will see this as a huge missed opportunity to gain their first trophy in quite some time."

Valquez: "Well now we know the two teams who will compete to become champions of Euro 2008; Portugal and Switzerland. This tournament so far has been full of surprises, shocks and free-flowing football. Can Portugal go one step further this year? Can Switzerland keep up their impressive form for just one more game? We'll find out next time, for the Euro 2008 Final. But for tonight, goodnight."

Overview and Match Stats

Swiss Stats

Muller's Reaction

Spanish Stats

Puyol's Reaction

Swiss Press' View

Spanish Press' View

The Swiss have done it again, and this time it's Robert_296 who is leaving us, his manager will now be retired.

Congratulations to haza555, you've also reached the final of Euro 2008. I'll just sort out some screenies of your squads for you to make your decision on the final teams.

Bunsen Reviews - The Road To The Euro 2008 Final - Portugal

Honeydew: "Hello, I'm Bunsen Honeydew, and in the build-up to tomorrow's Euro 2008 Final, I'm be reminding you all of how our two finalists, Portugal and Switzerland, got here from the beginning of the finals group stages up to now. First of all, we will discuss the progress of Portugal, and I'll also be assessing their chances of winning the tournament tomorrow."

Croatia 2-2 Portugal (Gomes 2) - Euro 2008 Group Stages - 7th June

"It was a tentative start to the finals for Portugal, Croatia very much matched them and I'd go as far as saying they were the better side on the night, although they only drew level thanks to a stoppage time leveller from Arsenal striker Eduardo. Nuno Gomes was in fine form, as he has been for most of the championship, bagging a brace for the Portuguese, the first being a scrappy finish after outmuscling Simic and the other a long range shot, beating Pletikosa who was trying to get back to his goal. A solid, if unspectacular start."

Portugal (Ronaldo 2) 2-1 Switzerland - Euro 2008 Group Stages - 12th June

"This match will be very interesting to bear in mind going into tomorrow's final. The only team to have beaten the Swiss so far this tournament is Portugal, and they'll be looking to do it again. In this game though, again Portugal were not at their best; Switzerland had plenty of chances to win the match. But a double from Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo in the second half did the job, after they trailed to an early Inler Gokhan goal. It was a case of right place, right time for Ronaldo for his goals, the first heading into an empty net after Benaglio failed to claim a corner, the second a tap in after Benaglio spilled the ball into his path."

Portugal (Veloso) 1-1 Sweden - Euro 2008 Group Stages - 16th June

"You can look at the result, a draw against Group B's whipping boys and say it was a bad result, but it marked the arrival of Portugal into the tournament as a force. Although they failed to win, they dominated the match, and thanks to results going their way they were able to qualify at the expense of Croatia. Miguel Veloso of Sporting Lisbon had given them the lead, firing home after Gomes' shot deflected into his path."

Holland 2-4 Portugal (Gomes 2, Moutinho, Ronaldo) - Euro 2008 Quarter-Final - 19th June

"By finishing 2nd in the group, Portugal put themselves on the harder side of the draw, and they thrived. This is their most significant result (and important) of the tournament so far, Holland had been playing exquisite football in the Group Stages and looked a shoe-in to at least reach the Semi's, and with Portugal's form prior to the game you could be forgiven for thinking this would be a comfortable Dutch win, and with them being 2-0 up after 15 minutes helping this fact. But Portugal fought back with a tremendous performance; Gomes starting it to make it 2-1 with a fantastic header from Valente's fast cross, Moutinho equalising before half-time with a high effort from the edge of the box. Ronaldo gave them the lead on 75 minutes, after a fantastic solo run down the left his cross came back to him, and he promptly rifled it into the top right hand corner. That man Gomes, who started the comeback, completed it with 4 minutes to go by slotting home after a one-two with Deco. At this stage, I'm sure Portugal fans noticed they might be in with a shot this year."

Portugal (Ronaldo, Gomes, Nani) 3-2 Germany - Euro 2008 Semi-Final - 25th June

"This game is also crucial to determining Portugal's Euro 2008 credentials; in particular their never-say-die spirit. Leading up to this game Germany had been the ones getting the late goals, and did live up to that with Klose making it 2-2 at the start of stoppage time. However supersub Nani fired home a rebound even deeper into stoppage time to highlight Portugal's willingness to keep going until the depth, which is important for the final as Spain managed to get two late goals against Switzerland despite losing, showing that the Swiss may become suspect in defence late on. Earlier headers from Ronaldo (at the front post from a cross) and Gomes (from a corner) had twice given Portugal the lead."

Star Man So Far: Nuno Gomes

"The Benfica frontman has been integral in Portugal's success so far this tournament. His goals got them off and running during the Croatia draw, and his two goals against Holland inspired them to victory. He had another fine perfomance against Germany, scoring their second and getting the assist for Nani's winner, as well as a Man of the Match performance. He's been getting better as the tournament has gone on, and I'm sure Switzerland will be wary of the tournament's joint-top scorer."

Can They Do It?

"Momentum has been building for Portugal as the tournament has gone on. They started with several fairly average performances, but have really hit the high notes since the knock-out stages. They also have the psychological advantage of beating Switzerland already this tournament, as well as wanting to avenge their Euro 2004 final defeat, Portugal should be feeling confident and very much ready for this final."

Bunsen Reviews – The Road To The Euro 2008 Final – Switzerland

Honeydew: “Hello, I’m Bunsen Honeydew, and I’m back for the second half of my “Road to the Final” review, this time focusing on hosts Switzerland. The Swiss, ala Greece, were nowhere near favourites to have gotten to this stage of the tournament, but they’ve got this far, and the question to be focused on is; can they go the whole way?”

Switzerland (Frei 2, Djourou, Gokhan) 4-2 Sweden - Euro 2008 Group Stages - 8th June

"It was an unexpected start from the Swiss - a feature that seemed to continue through every game! Although Sweden were poor this tournament, the credit has to go to Switzerland who were the better side and came away with a deserved three points. Alexander Frei, the lone striker, put them 2-0 up with two close range strikes, Djourou headed a third before half-time, and Inler Gokhan sealed it in the latter stages of the game, with a long-range strike, the first of many this tournament from him. This was the first major shock by Switzerland, and it was the first of many."

Portugal 2-1 Switzerland (Gokhan) - Euro 2008 Group Stages - 12th June

"Although the result was not a shock, the performance of Switzerland was more notable. They were the better side, and really should have won with the chances they had. Inler Gokhan got his second of the tournament, with a powerful shot from the edge of the box, after a strong run towards the box. This is Switzerland's only defeat to date, and it's against their final opponents. I'm sure the Swiss will have learnt from this competition, which should only stand them in better ground for the rematch."

Croatia 1-2 Switzerland (Gokhan, Muller) - Euro 2008 Group Stages - 16th June

"Another shock result for Switzerland, however this time the performances from each team was quite even. Once again, that man Inler Gokhan scored, this time a deflected shot from inside the box after Croatia failed to clear a corner. Muller headed home a second from a free-kick from the right. With 6 points, the Swiss were shock winners of Group B, and were left with a slightly nicer knockout stage. I had predicted them to go out at this stage, they were certainly surprising everyone!"

Turkey 2-3 Switzerland (Frei 2, Geijo) - Euro 2008 Group Stages - 20th June

"This was another important result for Switzerland, the Turkish side had been free scoring (and free conceding), they were able to limit them whilst grabbing the required goals to put them through. Alexander Frei was the hero of the round, slotting home twice after perfectly timing runs to get past spaces in the Turkish defence, along with an Alex Geijo penalty. Switzerland dreams were growing fast at this point."

Switzerland (Gokhan 2, Fernandes, Frei) 4-3 Spain - Euro 2008 Group Stages - 26th June

"The biggest shock to date. Even though Switzerland had come so far already, and overcome several big teams, Spain's form going into this had them, in my opinion, as favourites for the Euro 2008 title. Although the teams were fairly equal, Spain having more shots on target, Switzerland were extremely clinical, with a several of long-range shots. Inler Gokhan started it with a trademark long range shot, this time deflecting off Raul Albiol on it's way into the net. Fernandes scored his first Swiss goal, after a brilliant passing move around the team, with Frei adding a third from long range, about 30 yards out. Gokhan curled home his second of the match, and fifth of the tournament, again from outside the box. This sharp-shooting was enough to put them into the final. However, their late semi-collapse, in which Spain went from 4-1 down on 86 minutes to 4-3 by full time, highlights a possible weak point for the Portuguese to take advantage of."

Star Man So Far: Inler Gokhan

"5 goals. 3 assists. And he's a holding midfielder. Inler Gokhan has been the undoubted star of the tournament so far, and no doubt will be by the end of it. Few would have known much about the Udinese central midfielder before the tournament, but the half-Turkish midfielder's stock has really risen. He has scored in each game of the tournament so far for Switzerland except the Quarter-Finals, and is one of the several joint-top scorer so far in Euro 2008. Another long range goal, another strong performance, could really help Switzerland in the final if they hope to beat Portugal."

Can They Do It?

"They've shocked us enough so far this tournament that we shouldn't be surprised if they go one step further and win the whole thing. As hosts, they'll have the entire nation's support behind them, although the game will be played in Vienna the crowd will certainly be behind them. As I've already said though, their previous defeat against the Portuguese will be a factor; whether they have learnt from it and can beat their opposition this time around or whether it will perhaps be a mental block for the game is yet to be seen."

It's a shame Holland went out quite so early, as Sneijder could have been a contender due to his performances earlier in the tournament, RvP possibly for top scorer as he is a joint-top scorer with 5 goals and only scored in the group stages.

Thanks for the comments guys, helping me finish this all off! Especially those who's teams are already out of the tournament/those not even involved, much obliged. I'll try and split out the final a bit and flesh it out a bit more, as it's quite a big game...

Portugal vs Switzerland - Euro 2008 Final - Ernst-Happel-Stadion, Wien - Sunday 29th June 2008

Valquez: "On 16th August 2006, we began with 50 teams looking to join Austria and Switzerland. Today, there are just two remaining. Welcome, to the Euro 2008 Final! Tonight's match will no doubt be one of the spectacles of the tournament, and we will be watching 2004 finalists Portugal facing co-hosts Switzerland, both vying toget their hands on the new version of the Henri Delauney Trophy. These two teams have already met once this tournament already; in the group stages just two weeks ago, where Portugal defeated Switzerland 2-1, how will that result factor into today's game? Before we go any further, I must introduce you, for the final time, to Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, who will as always be providing his expert analysis before, during, and after the game.

And as a special treat, we will be joined by two experienced former managers in the studio to join us for such an event. The first is a Serbian managerial legend, he look over relative unknown's Legends United in 2006 and guided them to the Premiership and then dominance, while at the same time taking the job at Serbia & Montenegro, with the help of some of his Legends players gaining much more success. That man of course, is Dragan Hizidovic, welcome Dragan and it's a pleasure having you here."

Hizidovic: "Thank you for the kind invite Luis."

Valquez: "Our second special guest tonight is the former Shetland Islands manager, Ally MacDonald, who was last seen in management two years ago, competing against brother Jock for the title of the best side in Scotland. Welcome Ally."

MacDonald: "Thanks Luis, hopefully I've come here for a good game of football!"

Valquez: "Now, Bunsen Honeydew has been very busy with his pre-final pieces, so naturally we must now let our respected analyist have his word on tonight's game. Bunsen, who could be the winners of Euro 2008?"

Honeydew: "Well Luis, as I've already stated it's a tough one to call. Before this tournament, it would be Portugal without a doubt. But the Swiss have been magnificent, playing some beautiful football and pulling off some great shocks, none bigger than the semi-final defeat of Spain. I highlighted the importance of the Portugal-Switzerland group game, and that will play a part. The Swiss should have won that, but the Portuguese showed that they were able to get a result without playing well. There could well be a mental stigma in the minds of the Swiss players tonight about that previous result. It would of course be a perfect fairytale, much like Greece in Euro 2004, if Switzerland could win this tournament, especially one they are co-hosting, but my gut instinct is that Portugal should win, but football is unpredictable."

Hizidovic: "No offence to the Portuguese, but I'd say that Spain are a bigger and better national team, and the Swiss were able to beat them, so realisitically another big performance could see a win for them today. I'm a big fan of Inler Gokhan and I hope he can run that midfield once again, it'll be an exciting match."

MacDonald: "I think the thing to note as well for Portugal is there hasn't really been a stand-out player. I saw Bunsen's pre-final review and I agree with the performance of Gomes, but there's also Deco who's got several assists, Ronaldo has got himself 4 goals as well. Portugal has that strength in depth, while Switzerland has done well, other than Gokhan, Frei, perhaps Schwegler, who has shone out performance wise?"

Honeydew: "It's not necessarily a case of individuals, the Swiss have put together many team moves. Their formation works excellently with the players that they have at their disposal."

Valquez: "If you don't mind me interupting, the teams have just been announced and we'll quickly run over them, starting with 2004's runners-up Portugal:

Portugal: Ricardo; Bosingwa, Valente, Carvalho, Pepe; Tiago, Moutinho; Quaresma, Deco, Ronaldo; Gomes

Portugal make no chances once again, despite Nani being the hero against Germany. They also stick with their 4-2-3-1 formation.

Switzerland: Benaglio; Degen, Magnin, Djourou, Senderos; Fernandes, Gokhan, Vogel; Geijo, Esteban; Frei

The Swiss are forced into making one change; heart-breakingly Pimin Schwegler was booked late on against Spain and misses the final with a one-match suspension, Johann Vogel replaces him. Will that loss hurt Switzerland Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "It may well do. Switzerland have been fairly consistent with their team selection, especially since the knock-out stages. Of course they lost Vonlanthen to a knee injury but Esteban stepped in well. Vogel has not started a game for the Swiss this tournament, he's made three sub appearances but only played a total of about 30 minutes. The Fernandes-Gokhan-Schwegler trio has been pivotal to their success and the breaking up of that trio for the final due to the suspension is another key factor. We'll have to wait and see how it goes, it is a final afterall and that could bring the best uot of them, and Vogel."

Valquez: "Well the players are now walking out onto the pitch, and will soon be lining up for the respective national anthems. We'll now head down to the pitch, and get ready for the start of tonight's action, and the Euro 2008 Final!"

KICK OFF

11 mins (PORTUGAL 0-0 SWITZERLAND):

GOOD CHANCE! Inler Gokhan (Switzerland) has a long range drive well stopped by Ricardo (Portugal) low to the right of his goal.

17 mins (PORTUGAL 0-0 SWITZERLAND):

GOOD CHANCE! Tiago (Portugal) has a shot well blocked by Diego Benaglio (Switzerland) at the near post, after being set through by Deco (Portugal).

25 mins (PORTUGAL 0-0 SWITZERLAND):

CROSSBAR! Alexander Frei (Switzerland) rattles the crossbar with a header from 6 yards after a cross from the right wing by Philipp Degen (Switzerland).

34 mins (PORTUGAL 0-0 SWITZERLAND):

GOOD CHANCE! Deco (Portugal) attempt a long range blast which is well tipped over the bar by Diego Benaglio (Switzerland).

35 mins (PORTUGAL 0-0 SWITZERLAND):

YELLOW CARD: Joao Moutinho (Portugal) is shown a yellow card for tripping up Alex Geijo (Switzerland).

40 mins (PORTUGAL 0-0 SWITZERLAND):

Valquez: "Ricardo to take the goal-kick for Portugal...punts it long upfield, and Nuno Gomes is able to get a head on it on the edge of the centre-circle and flick it on...Quaresma has it about 35 yards out with only Djourou to get past...however he's noticed Benaglio is way off his line and tries an audacious chip from long-range! OH WHAT A FINISH! QUARESMA SCORES FOR PORTUGAL!! Magnificent vision from Ricardo Quaresma! He could have ran at goal instead, but he noticed Diego Benaglio was standing just short of the penalty spot, and superly lobbed the ball over him, deep into the left corner of the net. A goal worthy of any final, a truely fantastic goal!!"

Honeydew: "You said it there really Luis, magnificent vision by Quaresma to spot Benaglio out of goal; but the harder part was his ability to strike the ball so sweetly that it dropped beautifully into the corner. Both sides have been fairly equal so far but it's Portugal who strike first and have given themselves the advantage, right before half-time!"

45+2 (of 2) mins (PORTUGAL 1-0 SWITZERLAND):

Valquez: "Deco will take the corner for Portugal...he aims the ball at Valente just outside the box, but Senderos can stretch his neck and get a head on it...however it's right back onto that right-hand side of the pitch so Deco can run and collect the ball...plays a quick ball central to Nuno Valente right outside the box...he plays a fantastic ball back across the line to Deco, who's in a perfect position to whip in a low cross down the byline! Tiago attacks it at the near post! TIAGO SCORES FOR PORTUGAL!! Switzerland failed to properly clear the corner and Portugal have doubled their lead, with virtually the last act of the half! It's Tiago with the goal, he remained in the box after the corner, and was able to connect with Deco's low cross down the line! Could this be Portugal's year?"

Honeydew: "You can't really blame Senderos for the header away there, Deco did brilliantly to find Valente in such a small gap and then the same happened but in reverse! A great one-two, the main question mark for me is why no-one got to that front post before Tiago, or why no-one was still there marking it. Alex Geijo got near but he was coming from the same direction at Tiago, which put him at a disadvantage. You could suggest Benaglio could have come for it as well."

HALF TIME: PORTUGAL 2-0 SWITZERLAND

Valquez: "As it stands, Portugal would become European Champions. Would you agree that the result is deserved so far?"

Honeydew: "I would agree, Portugal have definately been the stronger team, highlighted by them creating several chances before the end of that half, and they were rewarded with two goals. What must be noted is that will be a huge psychological blow to Switzerland; 6 or 7 minutes ago they were heading for a 0-0 at half-time. They didn't seem to react either, after going 1-0 down, in-fact Portugal just became slightly dominant. Worrying signs for the Swiss, but who knows, the half-time break could well be a blessing."

Hizidovic: "What I picked up upon was the performance of Benaglio. If you remember back to when Switzerland played Portugal in the group stages, he had an awful game, flapping at a corner and also spilling a shot into the path of a Portuguese player. He's not really having a good game tonight either, he was way out of position for the Quaresma lob, and he should have controlled his defence better after the corner which led to the Tiago goal. It may be harsh to single him out this match, but it's not really a good time in the tournament to be having an off day..."

MacDonald: "I think the previous meeting between the side has affected Switzerland. They were dominant in that match despite losing, this time Portugal are the better side, so far. Switzerland will either need a bit more luck, or just improve all over the pitch if the are to get back into it, we've seen them do well this tournament and I'm sure they can do well."

Honeydew: "It's an interesting point, perhaps it seems that Switzerland have been easing off? They were dominant in all their group stage games despite not winning one, then against Spain they were fairly equal, and today the opposition are the better side. It may well be a case of "one game too far" for Switzerland, but we'll have to wait and see, no doubt they'll suprise us all now and pull a rabbit out of the hat!"

SECOND HALF

48 mins (PORTUGAL 2-0 SWITZERLAND):

OFF THE LINE! Alex Geijo (Switzerland) hacks Deco's (Portugal) cross-shot off the line.

GOOD CHANCE! Nuno Gomes (Portugal) has a close range shot blocked away by Diego Benaglio (Switzerland).

52 mins (PORTUGAL 2-0 SWITZERLAND):

Valquez: "Gokhan takes the corner for Switzerland...outswings it towards the 6-yard box...where Djourou can get a head on it! DJOUROU SCORES FOR SWITZERLAND!! The Swiss are back into this! Johann Djourou rose highest amongst a sea of Portuguese players to head Switzerland a goal back, with only 7 minutes gone in the 2nd half! This match is certainly not over yet!"

Honeydew: "A good set-piece by Switzerland, and they needed something like that to give them a bit more of a foot-hold in the game. Looking at the stats Portugal are still the better side but that goal will certain help to push the Swiss on for the rest of the game, at 2-1 anything can happen."

60 mins (PORTUGAL 2-1 SWITZERLAND):

Valquez: "Moutinho picks up the ball, and lays it quickly onto Deco...he looks up and finds Gomes, who is trying to find some space outside the box...he plays it wide to Ronaldo, who races into the box alongside Degen...was he held back there? He loses control and Djourou punts it clear...but a whistle has gone! The referee is pointing to the spot! Penalty for Portugal!! The referee awards Portugal a penalty for what seems to be a shirt pull by Philipp Degen on Cristian Ronaldo!! Was that a slightly harsh decision? I'm not sure, the referee has now booked Degen as well. Suprisingly Ricardo Carvalho will step up to take the spot kick for Portugal...runs up...and fires it low into the right hand corner!! CARVALHO SCORES FOR PORTUGAL!! The Portuguese have re-established their two goal cushion from the penalty spot! Some of the Swiss players may have disagreed but all that matters now is that their side is 3-1 down with half an hour to go!"

Honeydew: "I've looked at the replays, and I'd agree with the referee there, Degen was pulling Ronaldo's shirt back which stopped him from being able to get to the ball, subsequently stopping a possible opportunity. A silly thing to do indeed, Ronaldo may well have not even shot let alone scored, and it's given the Swiss a harder job. It's deserved for Portugal, who have had all the chances this half (on-target) except for the Swiss goal."

YELLOW CARD: Philipp Degen (Switzerland) is booked for pulling the shirt of Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal).

62 mins (PORTUGAL 3-1 SWITZERLAND):

OFF THE BAR! Johann Djourou (Switzerland) hits the crossbar with a header from Inler Gokhan's corner.

86 mins (PORTUGAL 3-1 SWITZERLAND):

Valquez: "Djourou picks up Valente's poor ball forward in the corner, he squares it back to the keeper Benaglio...Gomes and Deco are onrushing but he easily lofts it upfield...however possession is lost as it goes straight to Pepe, and he passes it forward to Deco who is unmarked about 30 yards out! He holds the ball away from Senderos, and sets Quaresma through down the wing past Magnin! Inside of crossing he tries to drive in a low shot...Benaglio parries it away, but Nuno Gomes has a chance to slot into an open net from 7 yards! NUNO GOMES SCORES FOR PORTUGAL!! That must seal it now! Portugal go 4-1 up here with only 4 minutes of normal time to go, and they're looking very likely now to be the winners of Euro 2008, it's Nuno Gomes with the goal and he moves clear at the moment as top scorer of Euro 2008 with 6 goals!!"

Honeydew: "It must be all over now for Switzerland, and you have to say it's a deserved fourth. In this half, Switzerland have only had 2 shots on target, while Portugal have had 5. It was a good move, helped though by Benaglio's poor kick to Pepe, which led to a route of attack. Benaglio was mention earlier in the Swiss being behind, could his performance have cost them the European Championships?"

87 mins (PORTUGAL 4-1 SWITZERLAND):

Valquez: "Degen picks up the ball from Geijo after the kick-off...he runs down the wing...keeps going...gets as far as Valente and plays in a cross...his cross reaches Frei, he knocks the ball down, takes a shot! Deflection off Carvalho! FREI SCORES FOR SWITZERLAND!! Instant response! Degen's cross found Frei, although surround by a couple of defenders he muscled out some space and got a goal back! Surely they can't get back into this now?!"

Honeydew: "Good strike by Frei, but it seemed without that deflection that show was going wide! Some bad luck there for Carvalho, but surely it's too late in the match now, surely..."

FULL TIME: PORTUGAL 4-2 SWITZERLAND

PORTUGAL ARE THE CHAMPIONS OF EURO 2008

SWITZERLAND ARE RUNNERS-UP

---------

Valquez: "Captain Deco walks to the front of the podium, in front of the new Henri Delauney Trophy...he picks it up, and raises it aloft his head! Cheers ring out from around the stadium and the Portuguese players seem to be having a mini-disco on that podium! PORTUGAL ARE EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS!!"

----------

Valquez: "That's it, Portugal have won the European Championships of 2008, defeating co-hosts Switzerland 4-2 in the final. Describe you feeling of this match gentlemen."

Honeydew: "It's deserved. The suprising thing in this match, for me, is that Switzerland never really got going, which they've done so well all tournament. Of course, you can look at their two headers that hit the bar, and say they could have been level, but Portugal deserved this victory, and have successfully avenged their Euro 2004 defeat. Congratulations Portugal!"

Hizidovic: "It was minor mistakes here that has cost Switzerland a chance of the Euro 2008 title. Benaglio was highlighted in the first half and again, you could place fault at his door for the fourth. Degen could be blamed for the third, a needless pull back on Ronaldo though he was virtually clean through."

MacDonald: "But Portugal played well, they put on a good display, played good football and won the match, they've been strengthening throughout the tournament."

Valquez: "That match concludes the end of Euro 2008, and the victors of this tournament are Portugal. I'm sure their fans will be celebrating this victory long into the night. I hope you have enjoyed our coverage of this tournament, and for the the last time, goodnight."

Overview and Match Stats

Portuguese Stats

Portuguese Press' View

Bird enters Portugal's Hall of Fame

Portuguese Fans Reaction

Deco's Reaction

Carvalho pays tribute to boss Bird

Portuguese FA assess performance

Confirmation as Champions

Swiss Stats

Swiss Press' View

Muller's Reaction

Swiss FA assess performance

Confirmation as Runners-Up

Bad luck for haza555, he ends the tournament as runner-up with his Switzerland team, but did a brilliant job to get this far. Commiserations.

But congratulations to birdy123, who along with his Portugal team has won Euro 2008!

All that's left now, is an end-of-tournament summary, as well as some various screenshots of tournament stats.

Archived