Sports Interactive Community
fayon

FM in the Cloud (Computing)

I am not talking about Steam Cloud for saving games.

I was thinking on the posibility of playing FM on my cell or tablet, but this is obviusly heavily limitated by the processor capabilities of the cell and the database size of the game.

Therefore I think that in the future a portable FM could be made using just the interface in your device, sending the actions through internet to te "SI cloud' and waiting for the response (when you press continue, the loading screen). Probably the only thing that wouldn't work so well will be the process of the match itself, because of it being in real time.

The benefits of the cloud computing are as mentioned before the portability of the game, but most important, this method allows the players too play the game with lower computer requeriments, so more people would be encouraged to buy.

The most important limitacion i can think of is the investment on the processor of the "SI cloud" (maybe this could be financed via subscription - not that i would like to, it's up to SI).

It would be great if an SI member could tell us is this has even been considered in some way, or am i being too imaginative.

The big problem with this idea was shown when Sim City was released recently. They wanted an always online connection, which wasn't great, but it's achievable for one person to have a decent enough connection. The problem comes with the other end - what happens when thousands upon thousands of people want to connect? That's when problems start.

In principle, it's a decent enough idea, but I just don't see where the real need for it is. It's an "If-it-ain't-broke" situation - seems that it's just to allow people to play on other devices, but I think there's better ways of doing that than the faddy cloud IMO

Sim City is a bad example. Their servers were responsible for networking users together and processing areas of the game.

I believe FM needs to take steps forward in this direction. Little by little with each edition. The ability to save you're games to the Steam Cloud would be a start and optional to users that want to utilize it. I'd like to see this built upon and lead to the FM Database being hosted online, to streamline the database with more up to date player transfers and updates. Give the researchers better access to the data and the users the newest version of the database, regardless when they start the game.

Sim City is a bad example. Their servers were responsible for networking users together and processing areas of the game.

I believe FM needs to take steps forward in this direction. Little by little with each edition. The ability to save you're games to the Steam Cloud would be a start and optional to users that want to utilize it. I'd like to see this built upon and lead to the FM Database being hosted online, to streamline the database with more up to date player transfers and updates. Give the researchers better access to the data and the users the newest version of the database, regardless when they start the game.

Good point I suppose with the relative jobs of the servers, that's taken. Can't really argue with any of the points you make, although I think SI will still like the separation for their transfer updates. It suits their "when-it's-ready" attitude to updates. Having a policy like yours would certainly bring benefits if SI wanted to go down that road, but not sure they'd get much benefit.

Moving the game simulation to cloud is exactly what I'd love as a development. I hated those long simulation processes. Also I always had to narrow down leagues before starting a career not to wait for all the simulations.

As I see it: your team matches should be simulated locally while all the rest of leagues could be simulated in the cloud.

Playing video games in the Cloud is an area people have been working on for a while, just do a Google search for "Play games in cloud". There might even services available right now that might do exactly what you want. Just keep in mind that while "Cloud" sounds fancy (I used to do marketing for a cloud company), it really is nothing more than a computer which you can access through some interface; be it your phone, iPad or PC. So all you really need is an install of Football Manager on a capable (virtual) computer with a fast internet connection and the software to make the game appear on your screen. SI really isn't needed if you want to make this happen, since there is no need for a central database.

Theoretically FM is almost the perfect game for Cloud Gaming, since responsiveness is not essential and the graphical demands are limited. It does however mean you need to always be connected to the internet and it will most likely involve monthly fees. Also keep in mind that FM works best on a higher resolution screen, so you might run into scaling and responsiveness issues, like not being able to click a certain button, on your phone.

There is also the security and data integrity. I would assume that Steam would have redundancy built in to mitigate any server issues and data getting nuked. The Cloud can disappear.

I just don't trust the cloud. And not in the way that some luddites don't trust technology. I just see it as being miles away from actually being the norm in a gaming sense. As with any technology, there are certain "trail-blazers" who are making use of it. I can't remember the name of the console that is basing everything in the cloud (or is it PC-based? Can't remember) and that's good to have. There are going to be a lot of attempts, probably just as many failures, before it becomes anywhere near the norm.

I just see far too many problems with cloud gaming, just thinking about FM alone. People bitched enough about having to jump the hurdle of Steam - if you move to the cloud, you're guaranteed to have some kind of program that acts as the middle man. It's liable to be worse than Steam, and probably more obtrusive.

Then, as Transk says, the cloud can disappear. No can about it actually, it will. And it probably won't be a rare occurrence. Now imagine the anger of someone who can't run FM13 on their computer for whatever reason - now imagine that times 100,000, or however many people want to play at that moment. Anarchy.

Just continue to optimise the current game so that it's a managable speed, and keep it the way it is. The cloud will stop being a buzzword in a few years anyway, and we'll have moved onto something else.