Your best "worst" player?

I have a central defender that from the time I approached him on a free, my staff has always told me he is "not needed" and/or "not good enough", and the best rating he has got from ANY staff is 1.5 stars. He's always been my 3rd or 4th option at DC, yet here are his stats:

1st season - 7.47 avg in 17 apps

2nd season - 7.51 avg in 30 apps

3rd season - 7.26 avg in 38 apps

After his 1st season, we were in a higher league. The most surprising thing was when he won the Supporters Player of the Year. The staff still say to get rid of him in almost every meeting.

Do you have a guy like this?

I had a DC that I brought up with me to the SPL, and as my team improved, his rating from the coaches dropped from 4* to 2*, although his production was always great (7.5+) Wasn't flashy, just stood his ground and did his job. But I picked up a couple 4* studs for cup-cover, and he got all whiny and said he was going to exercise his free-agency rights, so I let him go at the end of his contract. We're in 1st place, everyone's happy, but the board's still whining about letting him go (they called it an "aberration")

Junior Agogo for me, he's quite slow, bad attitude and wanted high wages. I signed him for my Tranmere side due to the fact that we couldn't score a goal to save our lives. My scout told me not to bother, the fans were disappointed with the signing and after 3 games of getting a 6.3 or below I was wondering what made me pay this guy £1000 per week. However, he has now scored 14 goals in 22 games, pushing me to 2nd in the league. He also scored a last minute winner v Watford in my cup game and scored twice in injury time against Bournmouth who were 1-0.

On the flip side, he has failed to turn up for training twice and disagrees with just about everything I say.

Mahrez Bettache (regen not the fulham one) absolutely awful stats rated a single * but whenever I entered a match and I asked the Assistant on his recommended team he said choose him at dm 10.75 tackling 85%+ passing and finished off with something like 9 goals top quality I don't know how such a bad player could play in cl finals and big matches against the big teams and just bossed everyone

when Juve came in with a 17 million bid I just sold him and he proved to be crap for them so a great decision

Some managers just seem to get the best out of people. I remember my friends old save with arsenal in fm08 where he transformed bentdner into a 30+ goal per season machine.

yeah that can be done I have used him with some success he has great stats for a good striker but I know he gets too complacent bad sportsman and isn't consistent I got 14 goals out of him which I took as in my formation the striker has to bring people into play.

Mark Noble is another great player that falls into this category really

On the other end of the scale though, my worst "best2 player was falcao at spurs. Never really clicked with the rest of the team but i am putting that down to how little i knew about tactics and what the player roles actually did at the time.

I have a newgen who came through my youth system and is now 31. When he first came through at 16 he was highly rated for my team, as we were in league one. 15 seasons later I have won the Prem four times in a row and he is only rated 1.5 stars and hasn't been above two stars for a long time.

Yet he has consistently been clearly my best attacking midfielder, ahead of 3.5/4 star players (I never see anything over 4 any more) despite not even being natural for that position (only accomplished). I have tried various other supposedly top players and supposedly more talented young players in that position, and he has seen them all off. He consistently gets one assist every two games plus 10-15 goals per season (in all comps). It's not like his attributes are outstanding for attacking mid either; his passing is only 13 for instance, his technique only 12, don't think his flair/creativity is anything special. He does have a great work rate (20), pace (17), acceleration (20) and teamwork (17) though so I guess that means he chases every ball, gets to a lot of them first, and then generally does something good for the team with it.

I checked his CA/PA and it is 151 so he's handy but should be no better than squad player for a truly top side. I'm genuinely bemused at how he has seen off all rivals for his position. I'm guessing the game is factoring in the fact he loves the club, is settled, is a "legend" etc and that gives him an advantage, coupled with his physical & team attributes. But I'm still surprised how good he is compared to many more talented rivals.

Barnabas Marko. He had nice weighted stats for a target man, but wasn't fantastic and only cost my NEC side £725k. Was rated at 2* when he joined and I only played him as one of my bets strikers got injured. He went on to score 26 goals in that first year and by the end had scored 120 goals in 128 games. Brought him to Dortmund with me for over £10m and he was rated even worse. Was just as successful and by the time he finally retired he had scored 323 goals in 539 games. A lot of which he scored under AI managers as during Dortmund/NEC I only had him for 8 years. Superb player, I can only assume he had amazing hidden attributes.

centerbacks always do well in FM13. if you check the best player by "avg rating" in the EPL every season, it'll always be a centerback

for this reason i never buy 4-5 star centerbacks anymore. they're overpriced and you can get decent performances out of 2 or 3 star centerbacks

centerbacks always do well in FM13. if you check the best player by "avg rating" in the EPL every season, it'll always be a centerback

for this reason i never buy 4-5 star centerbacks anymore. they're overpriced and you can get decent performances out of 2 or 3 star centerbacks

I have a 1.5 star CB leading my team in average rating right now.

He's slow, dumb and has very little skill, but he's got 20 jumping, 18 strength and 16 heading. Crossing against him is useless.

This explains my guy's success, because he definitely has nothing more than size and strength.

I've got a top quality team, but my backup LM/LW isn't actually that great in comparison(great technicals and Physicals, but my first choice smashed him in all 3 categories). But he frequently gets into the team and outperforms my first choice, despite my first choice being perfect for the role.

Archived