Player valuations is not realistic or accurate

I'm really enjoying my game as FC Twente with the new patch, but one thing bugs me, as always with FM.

Why are the player valuations so inaccurate?

If a player is valued at 5m, surely I should be able to buy him for 5/6/7m? Instead I have to keep increasing the fee till its more like 12-15m? It gets tedius after a while.

Bale is valued at 25m, Ronaldo at 35. Why not just show the sale value? 60m or 80m etc...

Surely a value is what the club is prepared to sell at? The original value is just pointless.

Guest Satchy

The market fluctuates though, based on a number of things. That could include the player's performances in the league, or on the international stage. Depending on whether it's just one team interested in the player or a handful, his value could also go up.

Player valuation doesn't take into account length of remaining contract, what it would actually COST for the team to replace that player, etc. I always look at player valuation as a comparative value of members of my team or when comparing one of my players to a similar player on another team - I don't think I can just ring up the other team and offer that amount to buy their player, especially if they've just locked them up with a 4-year contract. When I see another team in my league valuing a player at 200K, I know it's going to cost me $1m+ for them to even talk.

Also, is anyone going to seriously debate that Ronaldo is worth 34m? Why not just have a realistic value? Is there something wrong with the game engine?

That would be stupid to change because you may value ronaldo at 80 mil while i might only rate him 60 mil it all varies from manger to manger. Besides alot of players don't sell for there "dubbed" value in real life

I get that, but surely someones value is the cost to buy him?

If I walked into a shop and saw a mars bar for 50p, I wouldnt expect the shopkeeper to say no its 1.50.

Surely a value should be a sale value?

Sometimes, your scouts will report a player is valued at $16,000 but can be acquired for "free" - the player has value, but the team would prefer to give them away and dump the salary. Doesn't make them a bad player, just means the team doesn't need them and doesn't want to feed them - that's why sometimes you find a fine-looking pure-breed dog at the animal shelter. :rolleyes:

Value is just a calculation of reputation and the contract. It is what they sell for if they are transfer listed. If they are not, demand will determine what they'll sell for, along with the club's willingness to sell of course.

It is the 80m of real life that are not realistic sales values - they are overpriced because the club didn't wish to sell.

So the analogy in #5 is not actually correct. It would be more accurate to say that the Mars bar was transfer listed at 50p, but if instead you wanted the Mars bar that the store's owner had placed on a gold plaque because it was the one his revered, late father gave him when he was a kid that made him decide to become a snack store owner in the future, what you'd have to pay for that one would be another thing entirely, wouldn't it?

Mars bars are not a valid comparison because they can easily be replaced. A better comparison would be a valuable painting say by Van Gough.

Normally when a painting is valued the price given is the amount the owner can expect to get if he wants to sell it. Say it is valued at £20m. If I went to the owned and offered £20m for it I would almost certainly get turned down, if he was willing to accept that price he would have already sold it. As it is unique he might not be willing to part with it even if I offered £50m.

Values in FM appear to be similar (i.e. a best guess for the amount you can SELL him for). If a player is near the end of his contract his value goes down as the club can get him in a few months for free so if you put him on the market you wont get the amount you would if he had 3 years left. If you offer a player at his valuation price sometimes he sells sometimes he doesn't. If other clubs are interested in him you can get more than the valuation price.

To use an old stock market phrase, a profit is only a profit once it is realised. A similar point of view can be taken with player values as the true value is only known once a player is sold, before then any listed value is purely an estimate & should never be relied upon.

Also, is anyone going to seriously debate that Ronaldo is worth 34m? Why not just have a realistic value? Is there something wrong with the game engine?
Because then you would know at any given time what you could buy/sell a player for, there would be no deciison making involved and it would be totally and utterly awful

One word: Negotiate.

Many players do sell for above their value, but you can usually find quite a bit of room to chip away at the pricetag. For example, my most recent signing was for a Brazilian U-20 keeper that was valued at $45k and still has two years left on his contract. I made an enquiry to see what the team wanted for him, and they responded with $250k plus a 45% future sell-on clause. I responded with a non-negotiable offer of $150k. They refused. I came back with $160k and they agreed.

This also works in the other direction; I just sold my starting CB and CM during the season after teams came out of the blue with offers; my $5million-rated CB was sold to a club that offered over $8million for him, and my CM (valued at $6million) brought in a bid of $16.9million from QPR, followed immediately (and ultimately trumped) by Sunderland offering $17.1million. Neither player was transfer listed or demanding a move to a bigger club, but with several years left on their contracts the game apparently figured that I wasn't going to accept bids any lower.

ok one thing that annoys me is AI being unrealistic. i.e - so IRL Cardiff agreed an £8m fee with blackpool for Tom Ince. On football manager they want upwards of £15m the fee to buy certain/majority of players is far, far too high.

Sale values also vary by player happiness and form. I've seen good players who have been sold for close to their Market value because they were out of form. Players request transfers quite regularly on the game so looking at the transfer list can get you real bargains.

Archived