Players height

I was wondering if any of you guys knew if a players height on here makes a difference? or is it all down to jumping and heading stats ? Basically want to create a team that plays similarly to Stoke where no-one is under 6ft but wondered if the height would make any difference at all ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Well height makes a difference to the jumping attribute in general, a taller player will be more likely to have a higher jumping attribute.

Within the ME when a player challenges for a ball in the air he makes a decision if he needs to jump or not - If he jumps jumping is used, if not height is used in the calculation.

In theory, a tall player should have decent heading stats. If he's tall and his heading is 10 or below, though, then he's one of those guys that pundits often moan about: "He should be better in the air given his height/build". I might be wrong, but technique's going to play a part there, too (there's a technique to heading the ball well, as I'm sure we all know).

Jumping...actually, the taller the player, the lower the stat might be, purely because he's not that used to having to jump, and the taller you are, the more effort it takes to get off the ground (a 5' 8" or 5' 9" player may be capable of fairly prodigious leaps). Again, pay close attention to the jumping stat. The higher, the better (but jumping uses energy, so make sure he also has good stamina and natural fitness. Agility might also come into it...as well as anticipation, concentration, decisions and probably bravery - he can have heading and jumping stats at 20, but if he's a bit of a chicken, he won't put his head in when it might hurt).

But...yes, height makes a difference. :D

thanks for the replies but as an Arsenal fan I can indeed tell you that tall players have a good jump example being per mertersacker. Anyway I know computer game aside how different attributes contribute to aerial ability I just wondered if the creators of the game have made height a stat worth noting or if its in the game for just more detail.

I wrote this in a previous post:

kind of on topic.

How does the game deal with height? If the two CBs are 6' 8" and the opposing striker is 5' 8" but has better attributes, what wins out?

All that matters is Jumping (plus other attributes that come into play like Bravery, Anticipation, Heading). Height is a cosmetic attribute, although often it is linked to the player's jumping.

Depends the height of the cross and the jumping of the striker but often he will lose out on crosses

Nope. If this were the case we wouldn't see all these tall players have such high jumping (like the crappy goalies in the above screenshots). A big 6+ footer wouldn't be agile enough to jump so high, and small guys would have big leaping attributes because it's easier for them to spring up, but this is not the case. Short guys have low jumping, and tall guys high in game (usually).

thanks for the replies but as an Arsenal fan I can indeed tell you that tall players have a good jump example being per mertersacker. Anyway I know computer game aside how different attributes contribute to aerial ability I just wondered if the creators of the game have made height a stat worth noting or if its in the game for just more detail.

I refer you again to my earlier post:

"Within the ME when a player challenges for a ball in the air he makes a decision if he needs to jump or not - If he jumps jumping is used, if not height is used in the calculation."

I wrote this in a previous post:

All that matters is Jumping (plus other attributes that come into play like Bravery, Anticipation, Heading). Height is a cosmetic attribute, although often it is linked to the player's jumping.

No, it changed in FM11 or was it FM12, height is no longer just cosmetic.

Les Ferdinand was only 5ft 11 but one of the best jumpers I've ever seen. He was like a salmon.

Whilst that is true, the point is that the attribute labelled "jumping" in FM does not mean "how high can they jump". It's "how high can they get their head".

That's why Peter Crouch has higher jumping that Patrice Evra or Noel Hunt.

Not entirely off topic... I'm wondering how exactly are height and jumping linked when it comes to player development? I have a 5 star 18 year old regen, 186cm tall but his jumping is only 10. I put him on 'Jumping' traning focus and he improved to 12 over a season. How much can I realistically expect him to improve? It is limited by his height, right? If I can't get him to at least 16 I'd rather train him into a fullback then.

Not entirely off topic... I'm wondering how exactly are height and jumping linked when it comes to player development? I have a 5 star 18 year old regen, 186cm tall but his jumping is only 10. I put him on 'Jumping' traning focus and he improved to 12 over a season. How much can I realistically expect him to improve? It is limited by his height, right? If I can't get him to at least 16 I'd rather train him into a fullback then.

If he' is 6"1, his jumping is currently 10, will probably max at around 14 and average at 12.

If he' is 6"1, his jumping is currently 10, will probably max at around 14 and average at 12.

His jumping is currently 12, it was 10 when he was 16/17. I guess I can't expect him to improve as much I was hoping. Fullback it is then! Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

i agree (without proofs, and i cant be bothered to search for them) that height is important factor when it comes to headers, jumping, etc. Sometimes i had tall players 190-200 cm with jumping like 12-14 and they were beasts in the air. Being tall made them not have to jump so high

i agree (without proofs, and i cant be bothered to search for them) that height is important factor when it comes to headers, jumping, etc. Sometimes i had tall players 190-200 cm with jumping like 12-14 and they were beasts in the air. Being tall made them not have to jump so high

This is false. Your 12-14 jumping players probably won headers because of their complimenting attributes like strength and positioning. Height in isolation does not help a player be good in the air in FM. If you take two otherwise identical players but one with jumping 20, height 180cm and the other jumping 12, height 200cm - assuming that both go into a challenge the shorter player wins the header every time.

Archived