"Master File"

Nido

I guess thread necromancy is banned as in most sites, but... question comes from this old topic I have at my bookmarks as the main topic =P

Thing is, in the past I was frustrated after making many new leagues and rules just for the game to get errors here and there because of clashing IDs and such, so I took a big hiatus from editing, didn't touch it since FM12 tbh, but I love to add that personal feeling to my games and since a new FM will come in some months, well... I was thinking on making some edits on FM13 in anticipation :D

Idea is to create a master file, creating most unavaiable competitions, maybe some clubs, and some modifications especially regarding to Nations, like updating some national team, captains, and so. You know, minor stuff but tedious and time consuming x_x! Then, once everything is set and done, I'd just load database, create the nation rules and done, hoping no ID issues will happen.

Did someone already test if this helps to avoid ID clashing? Or should I test it myself and check? How many nation files should I run together to be sure it really works? Should I drink coffee or hot chocolate while doing it? 8D

Well, that for now ^^U

We only create change files now, a list of changes to apply. We also have two unique IDs now to help with clashes.

The database is only changed when we load it within game, not in the editor which just creates a list of changes "to be made".

I guess thread necromancy is banned as in most sites, but... question comes from this old topic I have at my bookmarks as the main topic =P

Thing is, in the past I was frustrated after making many new leagues and rules just for the game to get errors here and there because of clashing IDs and such, so I took a big hiatus from editing, didn't touch it since FM12 tbh, but I love to add that personal feeling to my games and since a new FM will come in some months, well... I was thinking on making some edits on FM13 in anticipation :D

Idea is to create a master file, creating most unavaiable competitions, maybe some clubs, and some modifications especially regarding to Nations, like updating some national team, captains, and so. You know, minor stuff but tedious and time consuming x_x! Then, once everything is set and done, I'd just load database, create the nation rules and done, hoping no ID issues will happen.

Did someone already test if this helps to avoid ID clashing? Or should I test it myself and check? How many nation files should I run together to be sure it really works? Should I drink coffee or hot chocolate while doing it? 8D

Well, that for now ^^U

This only works for FM12, with FM13 only SI created DBC files will load up if placed in the specified folder in the thread you linked. You also cannot load these files up in the FM13 Editor as SI have encrypted the files.

There is something really sad about SI these days, they do everything they can to stop people who wants to make the FM experience better. Don't know what has happened, but many years ago they used to release the code sopeople could create tools, like editors scouts etc. Now they hide it, and when people find out about it to make their games experience better, SI makes a code to stop people from doing it. Sadly SI isn't about customers and game players anymore, it is about profit.

That they stopped players from making a master file with the decoding of the .dbc files, and the work against people using the advanced panels shows it all. Before it was that they loved the custom made comps and stuff, even one SI employee declaring his "love" for the advanced panels, now they just try to stop the custom created stuff.... And instead relesing a unfinished project (editor) as the finnished article...

There is something really sad about SI these days, they do everything they can to stop people who wants to make the FM experience better. Don't know what has happened, but many years ago they used to release the code sopeople could create tools, like editors scouts etc. Now they hide it, and when people find out about it to make their games experience better, SI makes a code to stop people from doing it. Sadly SI isn't about customers and game players anymore, it is about profit.

That they stopped players from making a master file with the decoding of the .dbc files, and the work against people using the advanced panels shows it all. Before it was that they loved the custom made comps and stuff, even one SI employee declaring his "love" for the advanced panels, now they just try to stop the custom created stuff.... And instead relesing a unfinished project (editor) as the finnished article...

Have you had a look at what EA has developed into? Or any major software company? It's their intellectual property, so they can pretty much do or restrict as they wish.

What does that has to do with SI, they don't need to go the same was as EA even if it is in a way smaller scale. Yes they can do what they wish, but SI should have stayed the way they used tobe and still claim they are: "gamemakers for the gameplayers". Not like they are now: "making small scale adjustments each year so we earn a hell lot of money from the gameplayers and at the same time limit the gameplayers possibility to add to the game..." The way SI worked before was for sure better....

The way SI worked before was for sure better....

I feel the same way about McDonald's...and Microsoft...and any reasonably successful company. Eventually, business wins over the fans every time. And I would wager that it's a very small percentage of FM owners who want to have anything to do with the database editor.

Actually Microsoft is alot better on customer care,

This is an amusing statement. SI is far superior to microsoft in customer service. SI's big reporting forum is very effective it's just that most people choose not to use them.

While I like the advanced panel on the editor, I understand why SI can't allow access to it. People don't know how to use it properly and they brake the game. Then they come in here moaning. The editor keeps expanding, perhaps someday it will add functions to perform most of the things the advanced editor does.

Depends though when I had trouble with windows 8, they connected with me after 5 hours and fixing the mistake. The thing with the editor is that SI could have done more development between the versions, since a lot of stuff in the advanced panels do work and still they aren't included in the game, not everything with the panels destroys the game.... Seems to me that they just slow down the development to make sure they have something new to release each year. I my opinion they aren't done until it's possible to edit current competitions instead of doing them from scratch, that is posible as we've seen with the adv. panels, so to me it is obvious that they haven't made that possible because they would have difficulties coming up with something new the next time around.

Still though if they feel so strong about the adv. panels, the decision to stop people from making their own master file is plain stupid. What kind of trouble would that do that I did some changes and saved that in the dbc folde so that I spared my self some trouble when editing??

Archived