What's wrong with my training? Help needed...

Hi

I manage Chelsea in the first season. It's January the 5th. I'm doing very well at the moment. We're top of the league by 8 points and still in every cup competition. My players do get good ratings. I play either a deep 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1.

But in this save my players definitely seem to stall in their development. Usually, Lukaku, Mata, McEachran and several more players use to have potential star rating by 5 now. They play a lot too. This time my players have one or a half star rating less. I have an assistant manager who are very good at judging potential. When my ass manager presents the monthly training report, there are often no players who he mention have developed well. Usually, I always have brilliant training reports.

What could be the problem?

I have general training set to low, or sometimes average. I use individual focus heavy. Match traing set to 20%. The thing is, I'm not doing anything special to what I use to do. The only thing I can think of is that my playing style is quite demanding. I use maximal closing down, but I can't believe that should be the problem, since I have quite a large squad and rotate pretty much.

It's frustrating to not see the star ratings increase as the usually do, especially since I am doing very well and the players get game time.

It would be very interesting and helpful if I could hear your thoughts on this.

Anders, Sweden

The potential rating doesn't change. It's the rating that your assistant/scout/coach thinks the player could achieve under ideal circumstances. When that rating changes either your staff member giving the rating has changed opinion or something drastic has happened (severe injury, not playing for a long time, reaching old age etc.)

It's also good to realize that the star rating is a relative rating based on your teams current ability. If you are playing as a low league club those players you mentioned will all have a 5 star rating, if you are playing as a team that has all top quality players those players will likely only get a 3 star rating as they will be average in relation to your current team (consisting of all top quality players). If you are playing as a top club it's very hard for a player to get a 3.5 star rating because you can't be better than the best.

When a player gets better his current ability (ca) gets closer to his potential ability (pa), his potential ability doesn't change. When looking at a players development focus on watching his attributes increase and on the training reports of your staff.

btw. I would personally put the general training a little higher and decrease the individual focus if necessary but that is mostly a personal preference thing.

Do you let your players rest before and after games? Together with match preparation and two games a week, that sometimes leaves no or very little time for training. However it will leave your players with better condition I recon, which might be the reason for your good runs in the league and cups.

It might also just be the case that the star ratings at the club has changed and the squad has gotten better.

Thanks for the input. What makes me worry is that when I look at a lot of players' training overview/development I don't see any green arrows. There are too many players who don't have green arrows when I look at their charts. I haven't noticed this before in this way..

Archived