Sports Interactive Community
Zoetermeer

The Next Xabi Alonso?

I have a Real Madrid save going where my goal is to re-Spanish-ize the squad. I'm emphasizing youth development, but as my policy is not to extend the contracts of any non-Spaniards in the squad (except maybe Ronaldo), I've spent a decent amount bringing in good Spanish players as replacements. But I'm having a hard time identifying anyone good enough to truly replace Alonso in the current crop of young Spanish midfielders. Unfortunately some of the best candidates are at Barcelona and are untouchable (and it wouldn't be realistic to buy them anyway). There are good defensive midfielders out there, but I need a true deep-lying playmaker who can get to 20 passing and creativity, great anticipation, and can play defense.

In my opinion, guys like Herrera and Benat just aren't good enough. They're good players in their own right, but they'll never reach the level of an Alonso. I've thought about Pardo, but I'm not sure he'll ever get there either -- and he costs a lot.

Maybe the answer is to just wait for a regen -- though Alonso will be long-retired before I have a chance to develop a 15-year old to take his place.

Anybody have any possible solutions?