Managing in the MLS

Everything is done by trades and allocated funds. The allocated funds act like a transfer budget, I find it best to try and trade my own players for international slots and then use that slot to get some foreign players on free transfers. The problem with the MLS is if you sell a player to a foreign side for say £10 million you wouldn't get anywhere near that much put back into your own club and would receive a boost of less than £1 million in allocated funds. There's a lot of rules but it is a fun league once you work out how to get players.

Yes it took me a couple of seasons to get used to it all. I think you're best to acquire as many assets (international slots, draft picks, allocation funds etc) as you can in trades for players you don't want, so you can then use them to trade for the players you do want.

It is also worth noting, if you didn't know, that you can pay hard cash for players that are playing abroad, and not just what is in your allocation fund.

Finally after about three or so seasons, quite a few older top european players become available for free when their contracts expire. SO you should be able to sign them up as designated players. Quagliarella certainly gave my team a boost!

If you're playing in MLS, you need two things to make your time worthwhile:

1. A real-time editing program that enables you to edit the yearly draft class (takes about two hours each season to do all of the potential draft picks) so that limited PA players can actually be of use to an MLS squad, and

2. The highest league in Brazil set to playable. Send your scouts to Brazil and periodically scan their U-20 squad for youth-contracted players and you'll soon be able to stockpile a quality side that can win the CCL year in and year out.

http://www.fmscout.com/a-guide-to-the-mls-league.html

Go to your teams registration page and it will make more sense to you.

You'll see you have a senior roster limit, which players on development contracts don't count against this limit or your salary cap limit.

A DA contract only counts like a normal senior contract towards your salary cap instead of the 78k pw or whatever it is you siged for.

You are limited on international players, but you can trade for these slots with other MLS teams.

You are limited on discovery players signed each season, which are players not in the MLS.

And most important of all that many people miss is allocation funds. You gain these by selling players to other MLS teams, and you can not only use these to buy players/draft picks/international slots from other MLS teams but you can also use it to increase your salary cap like you would your wage budget in other leagues. This is key since you can make a pretty formidable MLS team by playing the free agent market well as long as you have the cap room.

• 1 year later...

Question... I know that the max amount of players u can have on your roster which is registered at 30... My Question is if i register a player can i still send it back and forth with my Reserve squad... With my home made expansion team i setup my reserve squad to play friendly games so that if say i draft players in the superdraft who arent ready for MLS games i can have them play for my reserve squad and slowly develop them and not rush them... Like i know the 30 players are depth players and such and i wont use all 30 at once but was just wondering if you register them if u can send them back and forth to develop..

Archived