B team / Reserve teams - is there really a difference?

On my time on FM i have experimented with reserves teams and both methods of making a B team. Personally i see no drastic difference or advantage in having a B team, just wondering if its just me or is this something we all notice?

It seems to me SI need to perhaps show better growth in B teams because its pretty much equal to that of a reserve team, which i find to be unrealistic and taking away what the real life advantage is of having a B team

As rich_barnes said, B teams are not the reserves. they play competitive football, for instance, Real Madrid Castilla (Real Madrid B) and Barcelona B, play in the Spanish Second Division (Liga Adelante).

I'm not sure about other leagues than spanish using B teams (the only other case I know, is Ajax and Jong Ajax, also playing 1st and 2nd tier leagues), but in the spanish league system, there are some restrictions, B teams can't play A teams (in the same way, C teams can't play B teams). Castilla won several times the Second Division, but was not promoted, since Real Madrid was already playing in the top division, the same way when Villareal were demoted to Segunda Division, Villareal B was demoted to Segunda B (3rd Tier) despite finishing in the 12th position.

Most B teams in Spain, play in the 3rd Tier League, except for Real Madrid Castilla and Barcelona B. Real Madrid Also have a C team, playing in the 4th Tier League.

Since 1990, B Tams, can't participate in the Copa del Rey either. Castilla is the only B team to reach the final of the Copa del Rey, in the 79/80 season, playing the final against, yes, Real Madrid. The senior team won the match 6-1.

I know in france, the reserve teams play in the 4th tier league and below, and can't be promoted further than the 4th tier.

The main problem is that I find the players do not understand that they are participating in a competitive senior league, my B team is in the Spanish 2nd tier but I still get players asking to go out on loan for 1st team football & then get annoyed that I reject offers from 3rd tier sides, thankfully it's rare enough to not be incredibly annoying.

It's much worse is Germany where there are 2nd teams in the senior league structure but are treated as reserve sides so both club & player look to arrange loan deals to senior sides playing at the same level, they become a joke after a couple of seasons.

On the plus side when you get them to work they are very useful for developing your youth or keeping hold of a player a little longer to see if he's a late developer.

• 7 years later...

In Italy we have a single case of B-team which is  Juventus U23. They play as regular teams in 3rd division BUT according to the local rules, they can be promoted to 2nd division. This is not allowed in France and Germany where B-teams aren't allowed to play leagues higher than the 3rd. Also Juventus U23 will never be able to play in the A-team's comps ONLY IF the A-team has subscribed there. Considering the very low value that the National Cup has got in the last years for Juventus 1st team, who don't aim to partecipate to EL, I suppose that it might happen. The idea of a first team in Champs and B-team in EL is intriguing enough, I think.

On 10/07/2013 at 09:26, Barside said:

The main problem is that I find the players do not understand that they are participating in a competitive senior league, my B team is in the Spanish 2nd tier but I still get players asking to go out on loan for 1st team football & then get annoyed that I reject offers from 3rd tier sides, thankfully it's rare enough to not be incredibly annoying.

It's much worse is Germany where there are 2nd teams in the senior league structure but are treated as reserve sides so both club & player look to arrange loan deals to senior sides playing at the same level, they become a joke after a couple of seasons.

On the plus side when you get them to work they are very useful for developing your youth or keeping hold of a player a little longer to see if he's a late developer.

One possible solution would be modding into your game a Reserve league with the same reputation of your A-team's league.  

Edited by Primez