STOCKPORT COUNTY! Non League to Europe in 8 seasons = 1 Tactic

Greetings all,

Some of you may remember my tactics for earlier patches on FM13 namely The Wall and Hydra which worked really well until they were nerfed by match engine tweaks on subsequent patches.

I am happy to present my final FM13 Tactic developed exclusively for and thoroughly tested on patch 13.3.3

FEARSOME ENGINE

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjxna342vxulxo1/FEARSOME_ENGINE.tac

None League to Premier League in 7 years (4 promotions), never finished outside the playoffs in any season, won League 1 and Championship back to back, finished in top half of Premier League in first season winning League Cup and qualifying for Europe on a total wage budget of less than £250,000 per week.

My Tactics are always genuine plug and play, fire and forget tactics requiring no shouts or adjustments at any time.

It is a tactic for all situations.

To clarify;

During my 8 season test…….

I never altered the tactic for even 1 second of any game

I never used any other tactic

I never used a shout

I never altered player or team instructions

In other words, you load up the tactic and leave it well alone at all times.

The formation.

97a9.jpg

Team Instructions

e65z.jpg

Results

d7jl.jpg

f8kn.jpg

None League to Premier League in 7 years (4 promotions), never finished outside the playoffs in any season, won League 1 and Championship back to back, finished in top half of Premier League in first season winning League Cup and qualifying for Europe on a total wage budget of less than £250,000 per week.

How it works.

We have 3 outfield players committed to defence at all times (the 3 Centre Backs), we have 2 players committed to attack at all times (the 2 Poachers).

The whole tactic revolves around the remaining 5 outfield players (3 Central Midfielders and 2 Wingbacks), they are the so called ‘engine’ of the team, when in possession of the ball they become fully committed to attack, when the opponents have the ball they are fully committed to defence.

So, in possession we have 7 players fully committed to attack, out of possession we have 8 players behind the ball, with the ‘engine’ moving up and down the pitch en-masse dependent on the situation.

The 3 Centre Backs are slightly ‘staggered’ with the central player given ‘ball playing’ instructions which means he has licence to move higher up the pitch to close down opponents and break down attacks early confident there are 2 covering defenders behind him as well as initiating attacks from the back.

The Wingbacks, whilst obviously providing cover wide in defence become very advanced when the team are in possession ultimately moving into the penalty area becoming available for shooting or crossing opportunities as well as pulling defenders out of position.

The Midfield trio operate ‘Box to Box’, quickly behind the ball when out of possession, storming forward when in possession. They make a variety of runs across the width of the penalty area which when combined with the 2 Poachers and the Wingbacks means the player in possession has a lot of passing opportunities and defenders have a nightmare picking everyone up.

The Poachers are constantly sat on the shoulder of the last defenders and seem very capable of working in tandem and setting each other up, with one coming deep when required.

At first glance the tactic appears to revolve around slow, patient play however with counter attacking on, as well as goal kicks being set to long I have found that at least 50% of your goals coming from quite direct moves which means we have a very mixed means of scoring goals presenting defenders with lots of different problems.

Against better teams we can hit them effectively on the break, when we are the better teams we can patiently break them down.

Anyway, enough already, I will post my preferred player types/attributes at a later date but I hope this brings some of you some success.

FEARSOME ENGINE

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjxna342vxulxo1/FEARSOME_ENGINE.tac

I'm testing in the Flamengo.

How do you use the training?

i keep it simple.

Pre-season. set to maximum match training (slider). Put match training on tactics only, general training on fitness (average).

1st August change general training to team cohesion, leave match training on tactics only at this point.

Now wait until tactic is 100% fluid, normally around end of September before this happens. When tactic is fully fluid, change training so slider is more towards general training leaving a couple of 'notches' only on match training.

Change general training to defending, set match training to defending set pieces.

Leave this until midseason/xmas/new year then change both to 'attacking'. leave that for the rest of the season.

dates based on english premier league.

***not saying this is the best approach, its just what i do.***

What atributes do de midfielders need?

Because I am looking if I can use it for my Ajax save

You will need high work rate, strength, stamina, teamwork on at least 2 of the midfielders. I like to have a bit more of a 'flair' player in the middle of the 3.

So in other words, 2 workers and 1 creator.

High passing and long shots are a real benefit for any of the midfielders if you can get them.

Should work with any team.

love to read your progress with stockport. im in 2014 2015 with crewe in championship so im gonna give this a go as I wanna get to prem asap.

The opposition seem to have a lot of possession and shots. Is this normal?

Yeah, certainly against the stronger teams.

You will find 90% of these are long shots that don't threaten. Defensively it's been pretty solid for me.

Don't use any 'small' centre backs, they will get exploited. Big guys with high jumping seem to be best.

Ok good because I was worried. Using Northampton in premiership about 12 years into the future. Overachieved last season finishing 9th when predicted 20th, so technically we're still probably the underdogs. I really like the potential going forward, seems like there's lots of options. Will let you know how I get on with your tactic at the end of the season.

Have you ever changed strategies (attacking, counter...) in the game?

Quoting...:

"To clarify;

During my 8 season test…….

I never altered the tactic for even 1 second of any game

I never used any other tactic

I never used a shout

I never altered player or team instructions"

Is the change in match preparation after the new year essential? As the defending and defend set pieces seems to be quite effective so far.

Nope, do what you like with match prep. Its just what I do.

80% games with this tactic end with a draw. I can almost never score more than 1 goal, regardless of opposition. Defence is very good, but offensive needs some work.

Just finished 3rd in premier league in my second season, will post details later but I won a lot of games and scored a decent number of goals.

Any attempt to improve the attack will weaken the defence by an equal amount so is pointless.

You might just need better attacking players or players more suited to the roles they have to perform.

For example, do your wingbacks have high attributes for dribbling and finishing?

Also I have found that if my poachers include one BIG guy and one agile guy they complement each other well.

Finished 7th with Northmpton so got into Europa League. Don't quite think my players are high enough standard for this tactic, as the opposition often dominates the games. The attacking threat is very good though so worth using with big teams.

8 Seasons? from BSBN to EPL? quite hard to believe since that's five levels of promotion with 3 seasons missing out?

What was your biggest loss and win when you started in the first or second season?

8 Seasons? from BSBN to EPL? quite hard to believe since that's five levels of promotion with 3 seasons missing out?

What was your biggest loss and win when you started in the first or second season?

They were in the Conference at the start of the 2013 season so its 4 promotions. (In real life they were relegated from the conference this year).

I dont see the relevance of the biggest win/loss in the 1st couple of seasons or how I would even check this as i am now 12 seasons into my save.

Either try the tactic or dont, its upto you.

Thought I would post a little update.

http://imageshack.us/a/img853/556/int4.jpg

Man City have a real strangle hold on the Premier League having won it 5 years in a row. I have finished 2nd the last 2 years running them pretty close.

I haven't been able to sign players of the very highest level until now, I can afford the transfer fees but I keep missing out as they want silly salaries and agent fees.

However I have just blown my entire £43 million transfer budget on this ABSOLUTE BEAST!

http://imageshack.us/a/img96/2629/1bpz.jpg

6 FOOT 6 INCHES, NEARLY 15 STONE WITH 20 JUMPING, 20 FIRST TOUCH, 20 DRIBBLING, 19 LONG SHOTS, 19 DECISIONS AND 18 FINISHING. (need to work on that finishing :lol:)

Guess who's gonna be on the end of the near post corner routine :brock:

I'm hoping he's gonna be the difference this year.

Love to see this as I am a Stockport County fan keep up the good work

Further update.

2nd to Man City in the league for 3rd year running.

http://imageshack.us/a/img607/3413/clbp.jpg

However, finished season on 22 game unbeaten run which included beating Barcelona in the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL!

http://imageshack.us/a/img40/7371/l3v7.jpg

I keep starting the season slowly and finishing strong, need to sort that out if i'm to win the Premier League.

ok just about to give it a bash. my old tactic is making me draw all the time. hope this keeps my undefeated record i'm currently 100+ games undefeated in the spl. wish me luck!!

100+ games undefeated and you're not happy? :lol:

Are you giving it a full preseason with the new tactic? If you swap to this mid season it may take a while to be fully fluid.

Good luck.

I guess if you take care in the old firm games, the other pub teams will be no problem :-

Are you not bored playing in scotland?

no i'm a rangers fan so i just loving winning, won the champions league 3 in a row, super cup 3 in a row and world club cup too. currently 61 games undefeated in all competitions. want to win the champions league 6 in a row thought so i can beat real Madrid's record of 5 in a row.

• 3 weeks later...

Giving this a go with Arsenal, and after being beaten 1-0 by my reserves, it was fair to say I was a little concerned as to how this would turn out. Five wins from five in the remaining friendlies put my mind at ease however and after 10 league games we are 2nd in the table to Man City with 25 points. We've scored plenty of goals so far (25 - 2nd highest) and defense is strong too (just three conceded - lowest in division). So far we've dropped points away to Everton (1-1) having had 2 goals disallowed and 1-0 defeat to Man Utd after being reduced to nine men.

We are a bit rubbish in cups though having lost to Watford in Milk Cup 3rd round and just one win (at home to BATE) from three games in the Champions League...

Mr U, lovin ya work! Throughout your seasons, have you had any similar issues in cups?

We are a bit rubbish in cups though having lost to Watford in Milk Cup 3rd round and just one win (at home to BATE) from three games in the Champions League...

Scratch that. 7-0, 3-0 and 3-1 wins in the last three games in the group and we topped the table!

The tactics effective against teams that don't play wide however I'm in my second season of using it and at first it was going well all of a sudden its just gone flat. Every team is exploiting the width and 90% of goals comes from getting back the WB's and having as much time to cross as possible. CB's are tall with good stats but still fail to win headers far too often. Maybe its my team as I newly promoted as Shrewsbury into the Championship but it's been pretty poor for me so far.

Chimney.jpg

First season, default squad only defeat so far is against Premier league opposition

Will post some screens of final table

Fantastic tactic, very underrated

Well done

• 2 weeks later...

this is great work Uwe,

im using this in Norway div2, was offered a job there with Ostsiden before the season started.

recruited the key areas, tall strong cb's, hard working cms etc.

im top, pl 11 W8 D3 L0 GF19 GA4

we won our first 3 games all 1-0, we aren't really dominating, but i didn't expect us to as we're a pretty ordinary side. Our biggest strength is staying tight at the back and thats giving us a chance, which we're making the most of.

Archived