The point of the state championships (Brazil)

Hello,

Really the first time i am manging in brazil, after joining during the brazil first division, i then started the next season with the state championships (Sao Paulo state championships for my club plamerias)

The question i have is what is the point of them? What do i get if i win the state championship?

Anything significant?

Nothing significant no.

You have to remember that some of the State Championships are older than the National Serie A itself and given the size of Brazil and it's culture, some of the State Champs are taken seriously as the football has grown over the decades.

If you could imagine Brazil being around 35 times the size of the UK, you could see why there could be a North-West championship, a London Championship or a Midland Championship etc.

The Serie A as it is today only exists since 2003. Before, the top teams of every state championship qualified for the national championship, which was held in a tournament format (group stage and knockout rounds). This is how the Brazilian Serie D today works. So if you manage a team that is not in the national league system, you can qualifiy for Serie D over your state championship.

I don't know if this importance has been brought into FM, but i think (I'm not brazilian, but i have spent some time there) that in real life the states championships are even more important to the fans than the national championship. Because of their tradition and because you always play against your local rivals.

By the way: Good opportunity to play your younger players in the matches agains the smaller clubs.

Edit: And you qualify for the Copa do Brasil via the state chmapionships (but I'm not sure if it works like that in FM).

Archived