[FM13] Please bring me my coat - it's Chile in here

noikeee

Tks Nobby.

Primera División Apertura Quarter Final 2nd Leg

CuricoacuteUnidovLaSerena_OverviewOverview.jpg

I set up very negatively on purpose to hold on to the first leg advantage, but I still would've hoped for a better showing, we were **** poor. Anyway we're through.

Next up in the semi-finals are... drum roll.. Colo Colo. We already know we can beat them, badly, but they're still Chile's wealthiest, most prestigious club, and the reigning champions of both Apertura and Clausura. Big tie ahead.

Primera División Apertura Semi-Final 1st Leg

CuricoacuteUnidovColoColo_OverviewOverview.jpg

I suppose we like facing Colo Colo. The highlight of this game was a goal from the midfield centre circle by Nicolás Leiva, after Colo Colo's keeper had gone on a dumb run way out of his goal.

Away from home might prove a whole different challenge, but we look set, incredibly, for a potential title-deciding final on our first season after going up to Chile's premier division.

Primera División Apertura Semi-Final 2nd Leg

ColoColovCuricoacuteUnido_OverviewOverview.jpg

Oh bollocks. We're out, the dream is over. We were doing a decent job of holding them defensively until the late penalty in the first half. Then we held on for another lenghty period of time but eventually capitulated to what would've been the decisive away goal. Desperate, we went all the way upfront and still had a chance or two until conceding the final killer blow. Bad news also as Nicolás Medina's injury seems serious and he may stop for at least 3 months.

I'm quite proud of having come this far in the Apertura though, that wasn't on my schedule at all.

The season isn't over. :D It's a Apertura/Clausura season like in most South American nations, there's 2 league titles per year, one awarded every 6 months.

Meanwhile, my first job offer:

LeonardoBustamante_NewsInbox-5.jpg

LeonardoBustamante_NewsInbox-2-1.jpg

Nice to see I'm wanted but I certainly don't want to drop down a division back to where I started! Rejected, obviously. Moving to a bigger Chilean club is something I'd like doing in the future so it's disappointing at the moment I can only attract the interest of clubs that far down the pecking order.

May-August 2014

Logo_Curico.png

Transfers

We did make one big move in the transfer window, bringing a quality lad on a free transfer:

Rodrigo Pino (MR / DM) - MR/DM is a highly unusual combo of positions but this Uruguayan lad looks very talented and clearly worthy of a right wing spot.

Also hired Bolivian CB Jorge Cuéllar, who arrived past the closing of the squad registration window so was immediately loaned back out.

In terms of exits, off permanently went 3 players. We lost money by releasing on a free Paraguayan DM Pedro Irala Vergara, but made some cracking cash with the sales of centre-back Darío Vitelli (35K) and young midfielder Jaime Cáceres (50K), both rarely utilized players. Young playmaker Franco Bechtholdt was loaned out again.

Fixtures

CDProvincialCuricoacuteUnido_FixturesSchedule-6.jpg

I've already gone through the Apertura outcome in the previous posts, we cruised to a 4th place in the league to then impress in the knockouts as we beat La Serena and nearly knocked out eventual champions Colo Colo in the semi-finals - a remarkable acheivement to go this far in this competition.

Chile has 2 leagues per season though and we kept the positive vibes going as we started the Clausura on unbelievable form, winning the first 3 matches without conceding a goal. Title contenders Univ. Chile ended our run with a 91st minute sole goal in a 1-0 defeat, and we lost another 2 matches since (whilst also winning another 2), but we continue happily to hang on to the top spots of the league table.

Meanwhile Copa Chile started as well, and we could not manage more than a disappointing 0-0 at home vs Iquique before utterly demolishing lower league opposition Linares Unido 5-0.

Competitions

Primera División - Apertura:

CampeonatoNacionalPetrobrasdePrimeraDivisioacuten_OverviewStages-2-1.jpg

Defeated by Colo Colo 4-3 aggregate in the semi-final.

Primera División - Clausura:

CampeonatoNacionalPetrobrasdePrimeraDivisioacuten_OverviewStages-2.jpg

Copa Chile:

CopaChile_OverviewStages-2.jpg

Player on focus

Bibencio Servín (ST) - An astonishing run of goals scored almost every match helped us a lot in May, he since has dried up a bit (not helped by a short-lived injury), but continues to be in the fight for the league top scorer award, which would be fantastic given he won that in the 2nd tier last season.

Meanwhile centre-back Cristian Lema continues to kick some serious ass. 7 player of the match awards already, woof.

Summary

Looks like we have continued the season on very much the same happy vibe of overachievement as the Clausura results have so far been mimicking the Apertura, I definitely want to make it into the knockout stage again and am cautiously optimistic we will be able to do so.

Pino's a decent all-rounder.

I think he's lacking a little bit in teamwork, aggression, bravery to be the perfect defensive winger but otherwise looks sheer class for that position.

Folks I am really struggling with this savegame again, I want to get into this but my laptop heated up like crazy on FM2013, now I sent my laptop for repairs and I am playing this on my desktop, it's really slow on my desktop despite the fact it's a relatively well powered computer built 3 years ago with near-top specs then. It's a shame because the potential is here for a nice career after this positive start, but am not really enjoying this as much as I should due to these issues. I think I'll finish the season then put this on hold.

Great start to life in the top flight. I hope you can get the problems you have trying to play the save sorted.

It seems to be quick now again, it was just June-July-August that was utterly painfully slow. September and October breezed by. I know the transfer window makes the game slower but the difference shouldn't be so abysmal, at least it wasn't on previous FMs.

September-December 2014

Logo_Curico.png

Fixtures

CDProvincialCuricoacuteUnido_FixturesSchedule-7.jpg

Copa Chile was a nice secondary competition to have fun with whilst it lasted. We just about sealed qualification out of our group with 2 wins over Rangers despite losing at Deportes Iquiques, then went to face the group minnows in Linares Unido... that ended up with the mother of all hammerings, 11-1, 10 of our goals scored in the 1st half! The draw wasn't kind to us past the group though, as we had to face a big team in Univ. de Chile, and despite holding them off to two 0-0 draws the penalty kicks went their way.

As for the Clausura - despite a momentary glitch losing at home to Rangers we otherwise kept on racking up the wins thanks to a good form patch in September and October, even beating Colo Colo in the process. This put us way way clear the top 8 cut which meant we qualified easily for the knockouts, despite ending the regular stage in a bad note after losing the last 2 matches.

In the quarters we had to face Rangers, which we have had mixed results against this season, this time it went clearly our way as we beat them 2-0 away in a tight game decided by 2 glimpses of finishing ability by Bibencio Servín. Then we repeated the result at home in a much easier game, Medina the scorer this time (including an unexpected awesome long range free-kick goal).

However just like in the first half of the season, Colo Colo were the opponents awaiting us in the semi-final. We held them off to a 0-0 at home then faced the impossible having to beat them away to go through (in case of an aggregate draw, the league position decides who go through and they finished higher than us). And for a few glorious minutes in the 1st half we were ahead, unfortunately they drew and later on in the match they scored another 2 as we threw all our firepower upfront - which didn't work.

Competitions

Primera División - Clausura:

CampeonatoNacionalPetrobrasdePrimeraDivisioacuten_OverviewStages-3.jpg

Defeated by Colo Colo 3-1 on aggregate in the semi-final.

Copa Chile:

CopaChile_OverviewStages-3.jpg

Then defeated by Universidad de Chile after penalty kicks in the 3rd round.

Player on focus

Cristian Lema (DC) - This chap just doesn't seem to play badly and endured another cracking few months of superb consistency. Scored 3 goals in October and was awarded a total 11 player of the match nominations over the season. Fantastic.

Summary

Well I am pretty chuffed with the way this season went indeed, Clausura mimicking what happened in the Apertura exactly - 4th place in the regular season, then semi-final defeat to Colo Colo who are much much bigger than us. Given I expected a fierce battle against relegation, midtable safety at best, this was a great year.

We also qualified for the Libertadores! We will enter the competition next year in the Preliminary Round.

The plan right now is to stick to a 3rd season due to the fact there's been little interest from other clubs in myself. I am slightly sceptical for our ability to build on this great season however, as I'm having trouble in the transfer market finding players that could actually improve us. Our horrific youth setup is another reason why when there'll finally be a chance to move, I'll probably do so.

Season review 2014

Logo_Curico.png

Tactics and usual starting eleven

CDProvincialCuricoacuteUnido_TacticsTeam-1.jpg

Same tactics as last season, read last season's tactical review for the shouts and everything I use. Strikers mark full-backs, etc.

Squad

CDProvincialCuricoacuteUnido_SquadPlayers-5.jpg

CDProvincialCuricoacuteUnido_SquadPlayers-2-4.jpg

Top 5 key players of the season

5. Cristián Gómez (DC) - I really don't understand how he can keep performing at this level, he is now 36, lost an enormous amount of pace this season, is now rated at only 1 star by my staff, but what can I say, he still plays well? 7 goals scored helped his ratings a little bit. I ended up renewing his contract but will try to phase him out of the starting 11 next year.

4. Nicolás Medina (ST) - He is that frustrating player with enormous talent but who only plays well when he wants to, which is whenever you don't expect him to. 9 goals, could've been more if not for an injury that stopped him for a while.

3. Juan José Albornoz (AMC) - I think JJ is starting to go downhill? And fast. For the first part of the season he was still the immense player that lightened up the Primera B last season, transporting those skills for the top level seamlessly. But as the season progressed he no longer stormed past games and I found myself picking Juan Pablo Arenas ahead of him, who impressed in flashes. Still, a most accomplished return of 15 assists.

2. Bibencio Servín (ST) - To my delight much like Albornoz he didn't feel the difference between the 2nd tier and the top level at all, and was just as prolific as last year - 22 goals. Also made 9 assists on top of that. Quite clearly on a different level to anyone else in the squad in terms of finishing moves.

1. Cristian Lema (DC) - Now this was a signing gone very very well. At the start of the season I didn't expect to replace the departing centre-back Otárola with someone as good, well I found out someone better! 7 goals, 11 player of the match awards, and a FANTASTIC 7.61 rating. Player of the year no doubt.

Career overview

[b]Season  League                      Cups                     International               Notes[/b]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Curicó Unido (Chile)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013    Primera B - 2nd             Copa Chile 3rd rnd       n/a                         Promoted
2014    Prim. Ap. - 4th - 1/2final  Copa Chile 3rd rnd       n/a                         Qualified for Libertadores
       Prim. Cl. - 4th - 1/2final

Woohoo, awards:

LeonardoBustamante_NewsInbox-6.jpg

LeonardoBustamante_NewsInbox-2-2.jpg

Woohoo... debt? :eek:

LeonardoBustamante_NewsInbox2.jpg

To be fair this is necessary as we're packing our stadium almost every game, but that's going to cost quite a fair bit. Time to sell players maybe. Nicolás Medina won't renew his contract which ends next year, and he's our highest valued player at 140K so is a major candidate for a move.

Archived