Time wasting

To a certain effect, yes, but only indirectly. Your players are more likely to just knock the ball around at the back, say. If you've set the slider all the way to minimum and are playing with maximum urgency, your players won't do this, because you're chasing the game with no time to waste. It might help to think of time-wasting as being "urgency", just with the slider inverted. So low time wasting = high urgency, high time wasting = low urgency.

Some of the time wasting is context sensitive, e.g. you don't see players head for the corner flag in the first minute of the game, even if you have set time wasting to high.

A quick search should dig up a whole load of posts on this topic in addition to the one above - but you'd be better off searching just the tactics forum, not GD.

Edit: You can see the effect best if you watch full highlights, as the bits when your team are time wasting aren't classified as highlights, so you won't see them otherwise...

Interesting reading Iam. This has led me to do some testing on the matter to see how it relates to this years incarnation. So far I've played around 10 full matches, so not a massive sample size but here's what I've found so far.

My timewasting was originally set on 5 on the slider by default, I felt that my team were a little too direct with the possession football I was trying to acheive. I started by ramming the slider to 20, I played 3 matches and found my players were dallying a little too much and losing possession quite a bit in defence. I then edged down to 18 with slightly better results both possession wise and pass accuracy increased across the board. After 3 games I edged it again to 16 and here I think I found the sweet spot for my other settings. Without going into too much detail I play max narrow, max slow tempo, play through the middle selected with no wingers, getting my width from the full backs.

Pro's - A lot more patient build up

Reduction in crazy long shots

More quality chances created

Some beautiful overlapping runs

Changing the slider doesn't affect team tactic cohesion bars.

Cons- Less technical players more prone to mistakes

Keeper seems more prone to booting the ball out of play

Quantity of chances reduced (although I see that as a good thing)

Some of these points need more testing, like I said it's a small sample size but I'm happy to say my team is playing more cohesively so thanks to the OP for asking the question, I hope this sheds at least a little light on the subject.

As a footnote sjm is spot on about the context sensitive part, there's definitely no running to the corner flag from the kick off, well not on setting 16 anyway.

Interesting reading Iam. This has led me to do some testing on the matter to see how it relates to this years incarnation. So far I've played around 10 full matches, so not a massive sample size but here's what I've found so far.

My timewasting was originally set on 5 on the slider by default, I felt that my team were a little too direct with the possession football I was trying to acheive. I started by ramming the slider to 20, I played 3 matches and found my players were dallying a little too much and losing possession quite a bit in defence. I then edged down to 18 with slightly better results both possession wise and pass accuracy increased across the board. After 3 games I edged it again to 16 and here I think I found the sweet spot for my other settings. Without going into too much detail I play max narrow, max slow tempo, play through the middle selected with no wingers, getting my width from the full backs.

Do you play a Counter style? I have a setup similar to yours, and am tempted to mess around with the time wasting slider, but I wondering if my team will still make fast breaking counter attacks when it's on?

No I play a fluid/control style. Personally if you're looking for quick counter attacks I reckon time wasting set as low as you can have it, maybe start round 4 or 5 setting and as quick a tempo as your players allow, so sort of the antithesis to my settings. As mentioned above the time wasting setting doesn't mess about with tactic cohesiveness so have a play about with it, you can always set it back if you're not happy. Unless I've misunderstood and you mean the counter attack check box, if that's the case I don't know what effect the time wasting slider will have on that as I don't use it. Hopefully someone will have a better answer.

Though bare in mind that once your team are on the counter, they act as though the sliders are set very differently - players all try to get forward and participate in the move; they act similar to on "gung ho" mentality, irrespective of what their settings actually are.

If you turn counter off with low TW, you essentially counter quickly (in the sense of looking to go on the attack quickly after winning the ball back) without having all the players making that extra effort to be involved in the attack.

Archived