Still Playing Pirlo at 37 !!!!

I approve of this. Me and a couple of friends have had a long term network game going in the past 4 iterations of FM, and we have a silly challenge/ceremony where you must sign an elderly legend for your team and play him. My personal one has always been Jari Litmanen :D I may switch to Pirlo next year.

because his physical stats had declined so much but yet technical and mental only dropped slightly at 35 i retrained him as a teraquista so all the defensive workload was taken away and could float behind the frontmen still producing quality killer through balls

only wish i started retraining him in first couple of seasons cos he is awesome in that role !!!

Played Berbatov, Anelka and Figo in FM07 when they were 35/36. Tried to make Berba reconsider retirement, Anelka still banged in the goals, and Figo got an assist every 1.5 games. Though I find it's CB or defence in general where age doesn't matter outfield (they'll be slow, but make up for it in consistent solid performances)

I think it was FM11, I signed Yuri Zhirkov a couple of seasons in, he would've been about 28/9 in game, got him for about £2m from Chelsea, but really splashed out on wages to get him, around 70k a week. 10 years later, his average rating for a season never having dipped below 7.3, he was playing 25 games a season as a superb player/coach. Wanted less money each year too, was only paying him around 4k a week, and he was absolutely amazing.

I've got Stevan Jovetic at 37 or 38. He is still really good as an attacking midfielder, but my coaches keep telling me he's too old and he's only rated half a star. I just ignore them obviously.

More annoyingly, I am also England manager and Joe Hart is still by far the best English GK at the age of 38 I think. No truly international class goalies have come through as newgens :( My reserves are Butland and Alnwick who are nowhere near as good. But Hart plays for Chelsea and they will not pick him for their team or even their reserves so he is never anywhere near match fit for internationals. I'm trying to sign him just so I can rotate him in my first team and try to get him fit and keep his attributes up, for the world cup in the summer.

Even with injuries, I would think the ability to hit a great free kick wouldn't really decline??

Strange.

Its 2017, and a well known german provider of sporting gear has won the Serie A ball contract, and has continued their trend, begain in the summer of 2010, of making their balls more and more like children's beachballs. Aging Pirlo stubbornly refuses to change his style to accomodate the new balls, and his Free Kick stat has dropped accordingly

Its 2017, and a well known german provider of sporting gear has won the Serie A ball contract, and has continued their trend, begain in the summer of 2010, of making their balls more and more like children's beachballs. Aging Pirlo stubbornly refuses to change his style to accomodate the new balls, and his Free Kick stat has dropped accordingly

Made me :)

Pirlo should still be able to strike a free kick just as well though. I suppose the stat decline is "general", so doesnt take into effect specifics to each player. I would have thought his passing should stay in the 19/20 range also. Surely you get better with practice/more experience, not worse.

I sort of do though, as you age & start to physically decline some of the technical skills become harder to perform.

I get pace/acceleration -strength to a certain degree, although not always to decline. Tell me to hush if this is nonsense, but Pirlo's main weapon is passing a football, hes been doing that since the age of say 11, practicing every single day. The fact his legs are getting tired, shouldn't affect his ability to do this. IMO. Okay, he may be rushed more into playing his pass, but the actual technical ability of passing that football will be the best it ever have been! Works even more with free kicks, as there is no actual "pressure" on them before they step up to take it.

Say, a blacksmith, who has perfected this art over many years, is probably producing his best work when he's 60, even though his arms are tired!

Translated into FM terms, some kind of stat degregation should happen, but not at random as it seems to do.

Tired legs will result in less precise muscle control which would then impact the precision of passing & probably even the range.

This is of course a very simplistic approach & doesn't factor in any other influences.

Had Brazilian regen CB win CL best player award when he was 34, and be a Golden Ball runner up at 35! He retired aged 39 after playing 504 matches for the club. He was still pulling about 7.5 averages and was a first team player at that point. Could have gone on for couple more years probably, but I decided not to give him new contract to let the next generation step in properly... His a definite club legend now!

I approve of this! Generally never liked shipping players on just because they are the wrong side of 28, so to see Pirlo at 37 is great. I think I tried something similar on FM10 with AC Milan, trying to prolong the careers of Pirlo, Ambrosini, Seedorf and others but never got very far.

Archived