Assistant Manager probably just got me relegated.

I am heartbroken at the moment fellow FM Players, I have lost my two first choice Wing backs in the January transfer window in the middle of a relegation struggle.

Started my game at Everton, eventually sacked, decided not to quit for the 100th time and stick it out and learn to master the game, offered the job at Duisburg in the German Second division.

When i was hired they were sitting second to bottom, avoided relegation (by a POINT!), 2nd season finished 9th, 3rd season finished 2nd (my first ever promotion!!), 4th season i finished 14th in the Bundesliga.

Along the way my scouting team found a 5 star PA wingback with his contract expiring (i get a massive 5% of my balance for transfers, so frees are crucial), they also found a 2nd wingback (opposite side), i was unable to meet the clubs demands for transfer but i asked the board to and they surprisingly signed the player.

after 4 seasons i grew tired of renewing contracts each season so i decided to let my assistant handle it, He starts renewing a few players contracts, excellent, no need for me to worry anymore!

Until, a 1.7m bid for one WB and a 5m bid for the other (absolutely crucial to my tactic), both bids accepted without my consent as they reach the Minimum Fee Release Clause :(!!!

I NEVER set release fee clauses, much prefer bargaining, perhaps trying to get a youth prospect and some cash in the deal so this is a major blow for me.

Here are the players:

Lovrek

207890screenshots201305.jpg

Lulic

207890screenshots201305.jpg

Needless to say i took the contract handling responsibility straight off him, Im currently sitting in 14th spot, but it looks like its going to be a long road to the end of the season, i seriously thought about resigning because i was furious, I decided to stay in the end because I've put a lot of time and effort into this club.

What is the biggest mistake you've made in Football Manager?

What is the biggest mistake you've made in Football Manager?

Not understanding that "release on free transfer" doesn't mean you cut a player with no penalty. I was managing in India, had a couple players on my reserve team that made up almost 66% of my total wage budget and they weren't worth playing on the 1st team...so I released them. It cost the team (and me, by association) something like $1.5 million (and my team's annual budget was well below that), so long story short, finances crashed, team went into administration, couldn't sign anyone, the board cut my wage budget from $32,000/wk to $12,000/wk. Eventually left in disgrace, took a job in Israel...where I discovered my team had no staff (coaches, scouts, etc.) and I couldn't get anyone to take an interview for a job. Eventually, had to hire my scout and assman from back in India.

Does offering them new contracts not cancel the bids of prospect teams? Did in the last one. Not tried it in this one yet.

Yeah i think it would work but not in this instance, because they just recently signed the new contract extensions the agent wouldnt even let me negotiate, just said his client wasnt interested as he had just signed a new contract with the club, a couple of days later, they were gone. Unlucky haha.

Not understanding that "release on free transfer" doesn't mean you cut a player with no penalty. I was managing in India, had a couple players on my reserve team that made up almost 66% of my total wage budget and they weren't worth playing on the 1st team...so I released them. It cost the team (and me, by association) something like $1.5 million (and my team's annual budget was well below that), so long story short, finances crashed, team went into administration, couldn't sign anyone, the board cut my wage budget from $32,000/wk to $12,000/wk. Eventually left in disgrace, took a job in Israel...where I discovered my team had no staff (coaches, scouts, etc.) and I couldn't get anyone to take an interview for a job. Eventually, had to hire my scout and assman from back in India.

Wow that would be so frustrating, completely destroyed the club! Surely in future versions the might have to create an accountant or financial planner staff role, the board or a financial managing staff member wouldnt let this happen in real life

But just before you release a player that way you get a message stating how much it'll cost to release him...

But just before you release a player that way you get a message stating how much it'll cost to release him...

I think I was playing FM Classic and I don't remember seeing any prompt like that, just an inbox message after the fact telling me what I had done. Maybe I should have released one first to find out what would happen.

I think I was playing FM Classic and I don't remember seeing any prompt like that, just an inbox message after the fact telling me what I had done. Maybe I should have released one first to find out what would happen.

You've probably turned off the message you get. When you release a player or staff you get a message stating the costs, but you can click "Don't show message again", and I believe that's what happened... It's been a while since I released someone myself, though, so I could be wrong I guess :)

seriously it worth wasting that 10 mins of your time sorting the contracts out than this to happen, i learned my lesson on one of my saves i let my assistant renew a lot of contracts next thing i know my top stars are leaving for good money such as 30-40 million thanks to release clauses took a good few seasons to sort my team back out will never do that again

seriously it worth wasting that 10 mins of your time sorting the contracts out than this to happen, i learned my lesson on one of my saves i let my assistant renew a lot of contracts next thing i know my top stars are leaving for good money such as 30-40 million thanks to release clauses took a good few seasons to sort my team back out will never do that again

Haha yeah, looks like it was a lesson i had to learn the hard way like you did. It doesnt seem to have affected my game too much, Kaiserslauten and FSV Frankfurt are having particularly woeful seasons so i should be safe.

You delegated the task to the Assistant so he did the job to the best he thought. If you're not happy with how he is doing them, then do them yourself. Simple.

:rolleyes: Did you even read the OP? Or any of the other posts?

You delegated the task to the Assistant so he did the job to the best he thought. If you're not happy with how he is doing them, then do them yourself. Simple.

Lol calm down mate? A simple mistake in the learning curve of playing FM, no need to be rude.

:rolleyes: Did you even read the OP? Or any of the other posts?

Yes I did. Did you read this part of the original post?

after 4 seasons i grew tired of renewing contracts each season so i decided to let my assistant handle it, He starts renewing a few players contracts, excellent, no need for me to worry anymore!

Until, a 1.7m bid for one WB and a 5m bid for the other (absolutely crucial to my tactic), both bids accepted without my consent as they reach the Minimum Fee Release Clause !!!

I NEVER set release fee clauses, much prefer bargaining, perhaps trying to get a youth prospect and some cash in the deal so this is a major blow for me.

Assistant Manager offered contracts with the minimum fee release clause. Original poster says he never does.

Archived