[WIP] Gibraltar Leagues and National Team

Shouldn't Gibraltar be eligible for for the Qatar 2022 qualifiers in real life? I thought the rules are that a nation has to be part of its confederation for two years before joining FIFA, but due to when Gibraltar joined that means the 2018 qualifiers will have already been drawn before the two years period, so will skip 2018 but should be in the draw for 2022? Maybe I'm wrong but I'm certain I read something like that at the time. If true, it's a shame the game hasn't included this.

Shouldn't Gibraltar be eligible for for the Qatar 2022 qualifiers in real life? I thought the rules are that a nation has to be part of its confederation for two years before joining FIFA, but due to when Gibraltar joined that means the 2018 qualifiers will have already been drawn before the two years period, so will skip 2018 but should be in the draw for 2022? Maybe I'm wrong but I'm certain I read something like that at the time. If true, it's a shame the game hasn't included this.

This would be quite interesting really. The draw for the 2018 world cup qualifiers is due to be on 25th July 2015. Gibraltar would reach the 2 year mark of being in UEFA on May 24 2015. There tends to be a FIFA congress in June of each year too, so they could just about sneak into the 2018 WC qualifiers.

FIFA's rules on admission are actually less strict than UEFA's too, so there's every possibility they could be accepted at the first hurdle, provided they get enough votes (should be able to count on the 51 UEFA nations that voted them in back in May)

Edit* http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/bodies/02/06/57/77/agenda2012web.pdf (Page 9 says that the 2015 congress would be in Zurich on 28th and 29th May 2015. Gib would pass the 2 year barrier by 4 days in that case)

Archived