What's with players constantly doing ridiculous things?

There so many instances of this per match

- Players just standing there as a cross comes in and letting an attacker run ahead of them

- GKs not even trying to save shots right at them

- GKs running towards attackers and just letting them round them with no attempt to alter positioning

- Defenders just running slowly towards an attacker with no attempt to pass it, getting dispossessed and the striker is clean through

- Players not squaring to players who would have an open goal but just blasting it at the side netting

These might happen every now and again but there's so many of these every match, at least half the goals I concede are because of some ridiculous act

Why have they made even good players so stupid?

- Players just standing there as a cross comes in and letting an attacker run ahead of them

This is actually how most headers from crosses are scored, strikers getting in front of their man and their defender reacting too slowly.

Highly unlikely unless it's from inside or close to the 6-yard box, where they have no chance. Happens in real life as well.

- GKs running towards attackers and just letting them round them with no attempt to alter positioning

Isn't that the point of a striker rounding a goalie? A goalkeeper rushing out has limited options to actually change his position, once he does rush out it's all or nothing mostly.

- Defenders just running slowly towards an attacker with no attempt to pass it, getting dispossessed and the striker is clean through

Lack of passing options either due to your opponent cutting of all of your passing lines or having your defender's passing set too short which in turn leaves him with nobody close enough to pass it to.

- Players not squaring to players who would have an open goal but just blasting it at the side netting

Low teamwork and/or decisions? Either way, happens all the time in real life.

These might happen every now and again but there's so many of these every match, at least half the goals I concede are because of some ridiculous act

It looks like that because you only watch highlights. In fact, a vast majority of chanced created and goals scored in football are a result of an opponent's mistake.

tl;dr? It's your tactics.

I see this one all the time, even when there are good passing options available. There's also the backwards pass from defender to goalie that goes horribly off target and out of bounds for a corner, and then the fullback dribbling the ball out of bounds for no reason when nobody's around. But don't expect much support on here. It's heresy to suggest the game is flawed. It's your fault.

I think some of the mistakes made require suspension of disbelief/imagination or an extreme amount of reading real-life football logic/events into FM. I regularly catch myself saying "that would -never- happen in real life" when watching some of the decision-making.

- player running with ball directly towards the goal chased by all the other players on a corner counter-attack, turning towards the corner flag/byline and ultimately trying but failing to get a corner by playing the ball off the defender.

- defender playing the ball back to his keeper, who is lying down after having saved a shot

- the most deep-lying midfielder/defender holding up the ball by turning his back to pressing opponents, trying to hold them off

- midfielders on support duty standing still on the opposition's offside line during longer attacks

- keepers playing it short to a defender who's inside the box along with several opponents

- players clearing the ball even though just controlling it would be easier and relieve more pressure because no-one's around and he's free on goal

A few prevalent bugs:

- the crowd "oooh"-ing on goal kicks, indicating great excitement

- impossibly curled long passes into space (of the Kick-Off II type) that are "saved" by the keeper (or not)

- throw-ins that shoot straight up a few kilometers into the air

And here's some examples of poor decision-making/events that are rare in real life but frequent in FM:

- wingers cutting inside when there's more space on the outside

- players trying to buy a corner off the feet of the defender inside the 5-meter and 16-meter boxes

- players trying to buy a throw-in off the feet of the opponent anywhere on the pitch

- players trying to shoot through opponents

- goalkeepers running down the sides of his box clearing the ball upfield instead of "row z"

- players walking with the ball

- penalty saves

- players shooting from sub-10% angles when there are teammates available for free tap-ins

- panicky clearances under no pressure

- headed clearances when the ball is travelling the same direction as the player

- headed backpasses to keeper from an extreme angle and distance

- the full back cutting off the touchline path leading the winger inside, but none of the teammates there helps out (which is the whole point of that defensive strategy)

- players on a counter-attack turning around for a backpass instead of at least passing into space

- players giving away corners or throw-ins under no pressure

... and there are countless others.

- the full back cutting off the touchline path leading the winger inside, but none of the teammates there helps out (which is the whole point of that defensive strategy)

This one is a massive problem with the current match engine, the lack of any support from the defender on the inside position or a tracking midfielder has lead to the cut inside from wide being far too effective, add in crossing & shooting that is too accurate at the top level & I can understand why people get frustrated with the game.

Another one that I've spotted & reported is that jumping while running backwards doesn't appear to reduce the max height that a player can achieve or the accuracy of the header.

As for the GK issues I tend to agree with everything that ever gets raised about their poor positioning, decision making & movement, some of this is down to a very limited animation set but I also believe a lot of it is down to a lack of understanding about the position & that it would be a massive benefit to have a couple of professional keepers from different levels of the game consulting at SI on how the loony between the sticks actually thinks.

It's uncertain how many of these bugs/flaws are really flaws in the m.e., or if they are flaws in the 3D graphics. Could be that the visual graphics side of things just have problems showing what's really going on, and instead shows a very simplified turn of events -which then looks to us as the players have these moments of unbelievable stupidity.

Try looking at a match in 2D. Many of these annoyances will be gone. What's left is mainly positional and decision-making flaws. And while I do get annoyed by them, I can't get really aggravated by them because I understand how difficult it is to get these flaws ironed out in the m.e.. I am quite sure that the SI people can see them themselves, and are trying their best to get the m.e. better. By all means; report what flaws you see to them, just in case they are not aware of them at SI HQ, but doing so in an aggravated and ranting way probably won't help much.

This one is a massive problem with the current match engine, the lack of any support from the defender on the inside position or a tracking midfielder has lead to the cut inside from wide being far too effective, add in crossing & shooting that is too accurate at the top level & I can understand why people get frustrated with the game.

Another one that I've spotted & reported is that jumping while running backwards doesn't appear to reduce the max height that a player can achieve or the accuracy of the header.

As for the GK issues I tend to agree with everything that ever gets raised about their poor positioning, decision making & movement, some of this is down to a very limited animation set but I also believe a lot of it is down to a lack of understanding about the position & that it would be a massive benefit to have a couple of professional keepers from different levels of the game consulting at SI on how the loony between the sticks actually thinks.

Agree, but I dont think crossing and shooting is too accurate, from the former the inabily to defend the near post is a big factor here, and the latter is more down to keepers needing work.

Heading in general is a bit loopy, especially on the defensive side.

That said, a LOT more animations are need as well.

One thing that is also extremely rare (non-existent) in real life but happens waaaay too much in FM13. Is terrible throw-ins.

I see it often enough where I get a throw in on my own half (most often same level of the box), I got three guys open to receive the throw in. But instead my guy throws it straight at the opposition's winger/back who isn't even marking someone and gives him a free chance to cross it at goal.

More often than not it's a goal/close chance because of their striker marking the goalie and the other defenders where waiting at the sidelines to get the throw in.

Again, it's not like my guy is throwing it at marked players. He clearly turns around and throws it right at their guy. A full blown heel-turn at the sidelines.

And you can't say that him NOT throwing it at any of the 3 open guys is a case of ''it's your tactics, lol''

One thing that is also extremely rare (non-existent) in real life but happens waaaay too much in FM13. Is terrible throw-ins.

I see it often enough where I get a throw in on my own half (most often same level of the box), I got three guys open to receive the throw in. But instead my guy throws it straight at the opposition's winger/back who isn't even marking someone and gives him a free chance to cross it at goal.

More often than not it's a goal/close chance because of their striker marking the goalie and the other defenders where waiting at the sidelines to get the throw in.

Again, it's not like my guy is throwing it at marked players. He clearly turns around and throws it right at their guy. A full blown heel-turn at the sidelines.

And you can't say that him NOT throwing it at any of the 3 open guys is a case of ''it's your tactics, lol''

Throws in have always been a bug bear of mine. Also, too many throw ins, hate it when players let balls run out they can easily keep in

when you find out your players just giving up procession without reasoning (such as kick the ball out to the 2 side bounds , header to the bonds, dribble out to 2 side bounds), you will have a big chance to lose.

Throws in have always been a bug bear of mine. Also, too many throw ins, hate it when players let balls run out they can easily keep in

The two areas that I find this most annoying is from clearances after a corner where the playing sitting in a deep position will let the ball drift out of play rather than create an immediate second phase to the attack & the other is when my sweeper keeper will not keep a ball in like he would irl so that rather than having a quick recycle of possession forward I now have to pray that my players will not get robbed from the resulting throw in our defensive third.

Thankfully it works both ways but I do hope that SI figure out a way to give players much more urgency when employing a quick tempo style, currently the primary reason for setting a quick tempo isn't simulated by the match engine & I find that to be very disappointing.

yea and there is something that happens often with me which is when the goalkeeper runs and attempts to shot the ball when it passes behind the defenders he plays it directly to the opponent and concede a goals, it happened alot with me even whith different clubs and goalkeepers!

The two areas that I find this most annoying is from clearances after a corner where the playing sitting in a deep position will let the ball drift out of play rather than create an immediate second phase to the attack & the other is when my sweeper keeper will not keep a ball in like he would irl so that rather than having a quick recycle of possession forward I now have to pray that my players will not get robbed from the resulting throw in our defensive third.

Thankfully it works both ways but I do hope that SI figure out a way to give players much more urgency when employing a quick tempo style, currently the primary reason for setting a quick tempo isn't simulated by the match engine & I find that to be very disappointing.

Letting the ball run out for a throw isn't caused by tempo but by time wasting. Tempo is how fast you try and get the ball into the final third and if I'm not mistaken.

I find that they like conceding corners.

too many defensive headers and tackles run out for corner. Headers especially, very annoying to see them go out of their way to head something for a corner, when a throw in is much easier. In real life, players actively avoid giving away corners if they can help it, all things being equal.

The only time I've seen a side concede a corner in favour of a throw was a game against Stoke City a few years ago.

I agree that GKs are vunlerable to save shots and aerial balls.

Also, aerial duels are problematic.

From what I've seen collision avoidance/detection doesn't work for aerial challenges, this causes all manner of problems at set-pieces as an attacker coming from deep can leap through defenders & keepers to win the ball with ease.

The only time I've seen a side concede a corner in favour of a throw was a game against Stoke City a few years ago.

From what I've seen collision avoidance/detection doesn't work for aerial challenges, this causes all manner of problems at set-pieces as an attacker coming from deep can leap through defenders & keepers to win the ball with ease.

This happens to me waaay too often that it really just drains the fun out of a match at the very instance it happens.

Opposition gets a long range free kick, they sail it into the box and one of them just walk through my defense and heads it into the goal.

As stated before, it is a case of suspending belief.

I just watch my Premier League keeper take a goal kick in the 91st minute in a match we were 1-0 up in. He gently kicked it to a striker who ran past him and scored.

I just never seemed to see these king of things in previous versions.

You just have to grin and bear it!

To solve the problem, I play in 2D Classic. ME deficiencies do not look so bad ;)

I do wonder as well if it's the 3D representation of things that causes the problems.

A few things I see a lot -

- Keepers not moving at all from their line for low byline crosses that literally go along one or two feet from the goal line.

- Attackers going through defenders to score, this is both in the air and on the ground, so players will jump though several defenders (who don't jump) and score headers, they will also slide through one or two defenders (who remain standing) to slide the ball in when it actually looks like a really bad foul. I presume this is a collision issue, it all seems that defenders loose the player they are marking when the attackers 'go through' another player which results in loads of these floaty free-kicks from deep where no on tracks the runner.

- Defenders not reacting to loose balls or passes, several times I've seen passes that a defender makes no attempt to intercept even though they are a good 3 or 4 times closer than the attacker to the ball, they will then just stand there and let the attacker dance past them.

- Backing off, attackers seem to run at defender and the defenders just keep backing off, at no point attempting a challenge, they will let a player do this from 40-50 yards from goal all the way into the box still giving him 5+ yards space for an easy shot in the box.

- Keeper positioning particularly after saves. I see a lot goals scored from re-bounds where the keeper deflects the ball wide, the striker then has a shot opportunity from a narrow angle, the sensible decision for the keeper would be to cover the near post but instead he stays in the middle of the goal.

My two biggest bug bears are as follows:

1) Defenders clearing the ball back across goal. Whenever players (usually full backs) get caught near their own corner flag, they always seem to punt the ball back into the middle of the pitch, almost always leading to a needless chance for the opposition. In real life a defender caught by his own sideline will always look to clear it down the line, out of play or off the defender. Clearing into the middle is something you're taught not to do from age five.

2) Keepers having absolutely no command in their six yard box. The amount of chances created from balls that are hit basically on the goal line is amazing. You watch the replay and the keeper just stands still on his line with no attempt to catch or punch or intercept.

So many of these in every match? Really? You see all of these happen several times in every game?

I don't think there is anything wrong with your examples happening from time to time, just watching MOTD last night I probably saw each of the above at least once.

Seen defenders header the ball out for corners when under know pressure whatsover. It's infuriating but because the AI do it as well I'm not too annoyed. Still I'm sure things like that will go by 2014 and new issues will arise.

So many of these in every match? Really? You see all of these happen several times in every game?

I don't think there is anything wrong with your examples happening from time to time, just watching MOTD last night I probably saw each of the above at least once.

But you didn't see them occurring multiple times in every single match. That is the difference.

But you didn't see them occurring multiple times in every single match. That is the difference.

I don't believe the OP did either. If it's not a massive exaggeration, they should be uploaded for the bugs team to look at.

1) Defenders clearing the ball back across goal. Whenever players (usually full backs) get caught near their own corner flag, they always seem to punt the ball back into the middle of the pitch, almost always leading to a needless chance for the opposition. In real life a defender caught by his own sideline will always look to clear it down the line, out of play or off the defender. Clearing into the middle is something you're taught not to do from age five.

This does seem to happen an awful lot, I also see far too frequently in my opinion, a GK taking a goal kick that splits all of his intended targets for the opposition striker to run in on goal.

Thankfully it works both ways but I do hope that SI figure out a way to give players much more urgency when employing a quick tempo style...
Letting the ball run out for a throw isn't caused by tempo but by time wasting.

Exactly - "Time Wasting" is a reverse urgency slider. The higher your time wasting, the less urgency (in other words, it goes from "chase the game" to "run down the clock").

Tempo is all about how quickly your players get on with it. If you set it to slow, they'll take longer on the ball weighing up their options; set it to fast to have them ping the ball around quickly and stop dawdling. If you see the opposition sitting pretty and not closing you down, you can generally drop the tempo. There's no point quickly moving the ball to someone who's marked if the guy on the ball has all the time in the world.

That said, players might panic if you've told them to play quickly and they have no passing options, electing to hoof the ball out to safety, particularly when set to a defensive mentality. So tempo can come into it too, just not how you're thinking it does.

I also see far too frequently in my opinion, a GK taking a goal kick that splits all of his intended targets for the opposition striker to run in on goal.

I raised the issue of 'keepers scuffing their goal kicks straight to the opposition striker in the bugs forum about a month ago, and was told it's an issue they are aware of (hard not to be tbf).

How about 'player makes what should be a good pass, but it hits a player who seems totally unaware'

or

'Ball played towards enemy winger. Defender walks away from where ball will go.'

How about 'player makes what should be a good pass, but it hits a player who seems totally unaware'

or

'Ball played towards enemy winger. Defender walks away from where ball will go.'

First one seems like a misunderstanding, second one can be down to low anticipation/decisions.

First one seems like a misunderstanding, second one can be down to low anticipation/decisions.

It's amazing that players can even make it to the professional ranks when a low attribute rating for something makes them unable to function logically.

Like you never seer misunderstandings on a regular basis in real life football. Like players trying to pass it to feet while the receiver goes deep instead, or passing it to someone running away from the ball who gets it on his heels.

Remember that the visualisation ingame usually makes it look worse than it really is.

Remember that the visualisation ingame usually makes it look worse than it really is.

And that's where the game fails epically. Spending 2/3 of your game time watching matches, this is the area that should have the most attention from SI's side. Why have an extremely complicated tactic system when the visual play looks like clown football played by chimps?

Archived