Arsenal Early 2000's

Hi

I'm in the process of starting a new save in South America and I want to try to replicate the football played by the Arsenal sides of the early 00's. For the formation I was thinking a lopsided 4-2-3-1. I know they played more with a 4-4-2 but to replicate Gilberto holding and Bergkamp dropping off i think it's better to play like this in FM. So far I have the following shape:

GK

FB CB CB FB

DM

WG CM

AM WG

ST

I think a fluid style, not sure what strategy, standard maybe? For the team settings I have shorter passing, press more, zonal marking ad drill crosses. Again not sure on creative freedom and roaming, can never get them right.

I am also after help with player roles. I was thinking:

Right FB(S)

2 x BPD(D)

Left WB(A)

DM(D)

For the defensive side of things, the rest i have no idea. Maybe the left winger as IF and the striker as AF, not sure though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if you don't agree with any of the settings I already have then please say.

Thanks

If you're going for the invincibles I'd personally go with with something like this:

Fluid

Default passing

default creative freedom

Counter

press more

Default tackling

Zonal marking

Drill crosses

More roaming

GK - Sweeper keeper - support

RB - Full back - support (Lauren)

LB - Wing back - attack (Cole)

CB - Centre back - cover (Touré)

CB - Centre back - stopper (Campbell)

RM - Wide midfielder support (Freddy)

CMR - CM - defend (Gilberto)

CML - B2B - support (Vieira)

ML - Wide midfielder attack (Pires)

STL - Advanced forward (Henry)

STR - Treq (Bergkamp)

If you really want to recreate the feel of the invincibles the PPMs will make or break the tactic though, in my opinion certains positions really need certain PPMs in order to recreate the roles and play style:

The LB needs: Hugs line, plays one twos, gets forward whenever possible

The RM needs: Arrives late in opposition area/gets into opposition area, moves into channels

The CML needs: Runs with ball through centre, plays one twos, arrives late in opposition area

The CMR needs: Comes deep to get ball, plays short simple passes

The LM needs: Moves into channels, cuts inside, runs with ball through centre, plays one twos, gets into opposition area, places shots

The STL needs: Runs with ball down left, cuts inside, places shots, moves into channels

The STR needs: Tries killer through balls, likes to switch play.

Thanks. You think the system can be recreated just as a 4-4-2? I know this was how it lined up in real life. But i was unsure whether this would work in FM or not.

I definitely agree with you about the PPMs, although I thought maybe look for pass rather than attempting to score for the RM and LM.

Going to start a new save now and try and implement this system. It's going to be a long term save as I will have to develop the players to fit the roles (training PPMs, etc.). Not sure who to start with. The two players most difficult to find are, I think the Vieira and the Bergkamp. Any suggestions which team to start with or who to sign to fill these roles?

i guess you should set henry in the aml position or wide left forward to get the result in ME, not sure how would that go with ML though.

or put him in CF L slot and see if players goes wide to receive the ball.

Don't think this would work with the ML. I think if I train the left sided striker to run with ball down left, move into channels and cut inside he should replicate this. Hopefully anyway.

I had Dortmund winning everything clean in in FM12 based on this:

http://community.sigames.com/showthr...on-%2803-04%29

Which one did you set up with? The one in the opening post? Wasn't sure about Bergkamp being DLF or Treq, I feel he played a little more like a Treq but with a better work rate.

EDIT: Decided to start with PSV. They have a young squad mostly without PPMs, so mine to mould. In Toivonen and Matavz I've got a Bergkamp and a Henry (hopefully). No Vieira but some young midfielders that I'm hoping to mould.

Thanks. You think the system can be recreated just as a 4-4-2? I know this was how it lined up in real life. But i was unsure whether this would work in FM or not.

I definitely agree with you about the PPMs, although I thought maybe look for pass rather than attempting to score for the RM and LM.

What you see in the tactics screen is how it lines up in the defensive phase (without the ball), you can turn it into any shape you want in the attacking phase via runs from deep, mentality, and PPMs.

For example, a 4-4-2 with attacking wingers, 2 CM defend, an advanced forward, and a deep lying forward basically attacks like a 4-2-3-1 but defends like a 4-4-2.

i guess you should set henry in the aml position or wide left forward to get the result in ME, not sure how would that go with ML though.

or put him in CF L slot and see if players goes wide to receive the ball.

With moves into channels and the PPM "runs with ball down left" he'll move wide. Setting him as the AML would make him stay too far wide probably.

Archived