Players unhappy with lack of first team football, surely a bug?

It's getting ridiculous now. It seems that on my game almost every week I get players moaning over and over again about not playing. I understand in certain cases, I do have some players good enough for the league I'm playing in not getting games because my first team are doing well and that is understandable.

But it's beyond a joke some of the reserves that aren't happy. I'm talking 18/19/20 year old's for example who are about the tenth best striker at the club and nowhere near good enough for the standard I'm playing at. There is no way these players should think they deserve to play. I could accept a one-off, a volatile player who thinks he's better than he is or something, but it's almost every player in the my squad. I can't loan them out, nobody wants them. So that rules out saying "I'll loan you out" As when I find it to be impossible to do so, they go ballistic and it affects morale for other players. I can't sell them, nobody wants them, so there is not much I can do. Normally I just aggressively state "It's my decision" or whatever, and they back down, only to come back a month later and the whole process repeats. It's infuriating.

That was bad enough, then the youth products came. I'm generous with my youth intake as I do like bringing players through the ranks, so often sign quite a few who deep down I know are unlikely to make it. I was stunned that 2 weeks after the youth intake, these players are now moaning about a lack of first team football! I signed 8 up, and ALL have complained about not getting enough first team football, and they only came through the ranks 3 weeks ago.

One who is complaining is 15 and is not even eligible to play in the league! So I can't play him even if I wanted too.

I'm playing as Brabrand in the 2nd Division West in Denmark if that is important..

At first I was thinking it's your fault for having 10 strikers and a bunch of players not good enough to play in your squad., but if your youth intake is complaining about lack of first team games then something strange is going on.

I get this occasionally but I've never thought it was unwarranted.. a 20 year old player +/- should worry about his career if he is not playing regular first team football and if he isn't getting that at his club he should look to move on, either by loan or transfer.

What squad status have you assigned your players? I assume since you say it's a problem with the whole squad that this is unlikely to be the problem, but if they are all key player/first team they will probably moan that their playing time is not representative of their contract squad status

All either Hot Prospects or just Decent Young Player.

From the 10 youth graduates, I've now had to accept two of their transfer requests, and all have complained at last once now about first team football, even the one who I promoted to the first team and has been on the bench every game, coming on four times. This includes the three youth players who are 15 and therefore are ineligible to play anyway.

Morale clinging on at the moment, can't see it lasting long. Literally every week I get two or more fresh complaints that I have to deal with. What I didn't mention also is that I'm currently topping the league (just) therefore are fighting for every point and considering we were predicted to finish 8th, having a great season. Not like I can afford to just throw some 16 year old's in the mix.

I've found that telling them they're not going anyway works 99% of the time. Tell them you're in charge and they usually back down.

If they don't, just remain calm and tell them the next one. I think it could be what I want is a professional player doing his job or whatever else comes up. Basically I tell them I'm boss and most of the time I win. If I don't succeed first time, then I persist and eventually they cave in. If they don't and say all you've done is further convince me etc etc. Then just let that one go. If he asks for a transfer request. Reject it and then transfer list him. I know it sounds petty but I like to have the last laugh before he leaves my club :D.

This area of the game needs some major work from SI & it is one aspect that could see me skip the next version if the current model is left unchanged for FM14 (the only problem is that its hard to tell if it's fixed from a 6 month demo), players are too keen in demanding 1st team football or worse still asking to go on loan to some tin-pot 4th tier side rather than train at our state of the art facilities, add in the fact that it's far too easy to appease them in any conversation on the subject only for the complaint to be raised 2 weeks down the line for months on end & I just get increasingly frustrated by it all.

Then we move to the AI managers who appear to bury their head in a bucket whenever one of their players start to moan about wanting 1st team football, most AI controlled clubs have too many reserve players out on loan or transfer listed by request due to wanting 1st team football.

The worst offenders are 2nd choice keepers who do not have any concept that the rule of thumb in football is that a club has a clear #1 keeper & unless he is injured, suspended or the game is meaningless he will always be selected, I am always selling backup keepers in FM as I just can't be bothered to deal with them & that cannot be right.

The worst offenders are 2nd choice keepers who do not have any concept that the rule of thumb in football is that a club has a clear #1 keeper & unless he is injured, suspended or the game is meaningless he will always be selected, I am always selling backup keepers in FM as I just can't be bothered to deal with them & that cannot be right.

Completely agree with this. Keeping a second choice goalkeeper happy can be a nightmare. I generally have to move them on every few years as they aren't happy being number 2 even though their status is back up and my first choice is world class. When i find one i want to keep i have to give him a certain amount of games a season which effectively weakens my team for that match.

On my game Man City's #2 keeper is listed by request due to wanting 1st team football, he's been at the club 18 months, is on a rotation status & is understudy to Joe Hart, how many games does he really expect to get?

Looking at the 20 Premier League clubs 7 of them have their #2 keeper either listed by request or unhappy due to wanting 1st team football, unrealistic hardly begins to describe it.

You would think with Joe Hart ahead of him he wouldn't expect many games. I'm not sure if the players are programmed to understand exactly who is in front of them in game though? I know there will always be some goalkeepers that do want to move to get first team football but if a goalkeeper signs up as a back up, the majority should understand that's exactly what they are.

In FM world a keeper like Steve Harper would never exist, clear backup keeper & even after Given left he stuck with it when Krul took the mantel of #1.

In FM world a keeper like Steve Harper would never exist, clear backup keeper & even after Given left he stuck with it when Krul took the mantel of #1.

Loaned keepers don't seem to mind. I always loan out my promising young goalie and loan in a back up.

The AI seems to have spotted this, so it's possible to get a decent one.

You would think with Joe Hart ahead of him he wouldn't expect many games. I'm not sure if the players are programmed to understand exactly who is in front of them in game though? I know there will always be some goalkeepers that do want to move to get first team football but if a goalkeeper signs up as a back up, the majority should understand that's exactly what they are.

It was fine before the update though, something has badly gone wrong. Its game killing because it affects the whole squad morale obviously.

I've had trouble recalling players from loan in this FM.

Usually I am glad to have a team of around 23-26 players, with another 6 or 7 good enough to be backup or squad rotation, out on loan.

I ALWAYS have the option to 'Recall from loan' checked when I loan them out, and recently have taken to loaning players out for free to ensure I can recall them. But still I don't see an option (95% of my loaned players) to recall them! Am I doing something wrong?

Are AI managers taking that clause out at the last second without me knowing? I have stopped asking for monthly fees, and now, even salary contributions, but I still run into this problem. Any one else?

I've had this happening a lot, even with reserve players who are getting a run of games in the first team!

Its annoying when you can't loan these players out, especially when there should be plenty of teams wanting them.

Archived