Sports Interactive Community
jujigatame

Will SI ever be able to include the J-Leagues?

They wont be allowed, if what the other poster is saying is true, which i think it will be, SEGA's hands are tied, they cannot get the license to release the J-League world wide.

Where are you reading that? I see him saying that they only have the rights for use in Japan (hence the Sakatsuku game) but I haven't yet read any clear reasoning for why they would be unable to acquire said rights for worldwide use, if they were motivated to do so.

Where are you reading that? I see him saying that they only have the rights for use in Japan (hence the Sakatsuku game) but I haven't yet read any clear reasoning for why they would be unable to acquire said rights for worldwide use, if they were motivated to do so.

when he said this,

2.) The J-League is a bit unlike the Premier League or Serie A as clubs are limited to the amount of commercial revenue they can acquire. Clubs also cannot gain revenue from sources outside of Japan. This is basically to protect clubs from being bought out by some foreign billionaire or to have the club lose its local identity. My team Kawasaki Frontale are mainly backed by Fujitsu (which was founded in Kawasaki.) Pretty much all clubs in Japan are backed up by Japanese companies.

What this means is, that the J-League cannot be in the position to make money for something displaying its product that is sold overseas. Obviously you have adverts for Coke Zero or McDonalds at J-League games but this is because it is aimed at the Japanese market and all they money goes to the company based in Japan for its Japanese consumers.

SI or SEGA are not based in Japan and FM is not sold in Japan, so they cannot buy the license.

Sorry should have been more specific, SEGA Europe LTD, who are the people who release FM, are not based in Japan. SEGA has various entities around the world.

So basically, if FM were released in Japan then they could acquire the license?

Not saying this isn't the case but it just seems so arbitrary.

So basically, if FM were released in Japan then they could acquire the license?

Not saying this isn't the case but it just seems so arbitrary.

back when FM was released in Japan (I know because I was living there and bought it there) there was still no J-League in it...in fact come to think of it there was a specific note on the back of the pack (in Japanese) saying that the Japanese leagues weren't included

back when FM was released in Japan (I know because I was living there and bought it there) there was still no J-League in it...in fact come to think of it there was a specific note on the back of the pack (in Japanese) saying that the Japanese leagues weren't included

Any idea if that japanese manager game is any good?

If you sell the game outside of Japan - you have to sell it through European vendors. These vendors take their cut off the total sales - hence earning a profit off something which has the J-League in it. The JFA do not allow their product to make money for non-Japanese sources, for the reasons I've hinted at. Its protectionism to stop outside money from influencing the league and making money for other people. It doesn't matter if its 1 yen or a billion yen. They have this principle and they stick by it.

The only work around would be for SI to release a Japanese version of the game (with an English language pack) and have it for sale only through Japanese vendors. But the game is not popular enough for them to do that, so for now we are stuck with the crappy names and blanked out national team.

well, if with the new editor we can make it by ourself without missing tabs and regens bugs it would be good enough. :brock:

If you sell the game outside of Japan - you have to sell it through European vendors. These vendors take their cut off the total sales - hence earning a profit off something which has the J-League in it. The JFA do not allow their product to make money for non-Japanese sources, for the reasons I've hinted at. Its protectionism to stop outside money from influencing the league and making money for other people. It doesn't matter if its 1 yen or a billion yen. They have this principle and they stick by it.

The only work around would be for SI to release a Japanese version of the game (with an English language pack) and have it for sale only through Japanese vendors. But the game is not popular enough for them to do that, so for now we are stuck with the crappy names and blanked out national team.

As you say though, Coca-Cola and McDonalds are foreign companies and use the J-League for advertising. So as long as Sega Japan distributed the Japanese version, wouldn't that satisfy the requirement?

As you say though, Coca-Cola and McDonalds are foreign companies and use the J-League for advertising. So as long as Sega Japan distributed the Japanese version, wouldn't that satisfy the requirement?
The only work around would be for SI to release a Japanese version of the game (with an English language pack) and have it for sale only through Japanese vendors. But the game is not popular enough for them to do that,

That's why it hasn't happened

Not to divert too much but why do people think Japan is a rising star? It's been said for a decade now and attendances in the J-League have at best stagnated, at worst show a slight decline, and they haven't won the champions league since 2008...

I wonder how determined SI would be to pay out for licenses like this when they have willing, and very capable fans, who create downloadable versions of these leagues.

No doubt they would be hoping to improve the game, but if I were running SI I wouldn't be busting my nuts to pay for something that is going to be created by the community anyway.

I wonder how determined SI would be to pay out for licenses like this when they have willing, and very capable fans, who create downloadable versions of these leagues.

No doubt they would be hoping to improve the game, but if I were running SI I wouldn't be busting my nuts to pay for something that is going to be created by the community anyway.

Well as I mentioned before, the fan-made Japanese databases are well-meaning but generally kind of awful.

if the new editor work as we exept, and it dont have missing tab bug. We will can do it properly. we just need the 2 first divisions, regional league aren't important and make the game too much messy.

if peoples want do it, i'm in it.

Would you not give it a go yourself?

I am not remotely qualified, nor do I have the time.

Would you have the time to give a few pointers to somebody that is more "qualified"?

Lots of the fan created leagues are almost perfect and, based on your comments in this thread, you know what's needed to make a working J League. If everyone who, supposedly, cares so much about this issue is a little more proactive then i'm sure they could work something out.

if the new editor work as we exept, and it dont have missing tab bug. We will can do it properly. we just need the 2 first divisions, regional league aren't important and make the game too much messy.

if peoples want do it, i'm in it.

I'm afraid it's not just a matter of leagues/competitions or the tab bug. All the players in J-league are not part of FM db, they're not in the game. It's going to be a massive work of research (stats, attributes, bio) possibly too much to handle for non-paid amateurs

Would you have the time to give a few pointers to somebody that is more "qualified"?

Lots of the fan created leagues are almost perfect and, based on your comments in this thread, you know what's needed to make a working J League. If everyone who, supposedly, cares so much about this issue is a little more proactive then i'm sure they could work something out.

Well like I said, the last Japan DB I found had basically every national team youth player juiced up with unrealistically high PA, which caused the world's top leagues to slowly get flooded with an unrealistic amount of Japanese players over the first 10 years of the game. People had pointed this out to the author on the board where he posted it, but he replied that it was "reflecting the changing state of the world game" or some such nonsense.

If people can point me towards a really good Japan DB I'd be happy to use it. I don't think they're quite as easy to come by as you're implying. It's a pretty monumental effort to successfully model the entire J-League 1st division and all 500+ of its players, not to mention the 2nd division which is even bigger.

Sod the J-Leagues. I wanna manage Japan. =(

I have fond memories of managing them... on some version that I can't remember. And I want to relive it.

I think you can still manage Japan with a little ... doing. Of course, you could only field the 20 or so Japanese players that play in Europe and Korea, until enough newgens show up.

Well like I said, the last Japan DB I found had basically every national team youth player juiced up with unrealistically high PA, which caused the world's top leagues to slowly get flooded with an unrealistic amount of Japanese players over the first 10 years of the game. People had pointed this out to the author on the board where he posted it, but he replied that it was "reflecting the changing state of the world game" or some such nonsense.

If people can point me towards a really good Japan DB I'd be happy to use it. I don't think they're quite as easy to come by as you're implying. It's a pretty monumental effort to successfully model the entire J-League 1st division and all 500+ of its players, not to mention the 2nd division which is even bigger.

Is there not one that's pretty close? If there is, and there's a pretty agreed thing that is causing it not to be perfect, can't you just edit out that part? I imagine the uniform super-youths is down to the nations youth rating being too high, or possibly all clubs youth systems being too good. That's easy enough to edit out. Others were wrong because they added in the database creators - they can be easily deleted.

With the RTE this year it would be much easier to edit a data base if you came across this kinda thing...

Is there not one that's pretty close? If there is, and there's a pretty agreed thing that is causing it not to be perfect, can't you just edit out that part? I imagine the uniform super-youths is down to the nations youth rating being too high, or possibly all clubs youth systems being too good. That's easy enough to edit out. Others were wrong because they added in the database creators - they can be easily deleted.

This is true, I'm not experienced with the editor but I could have gone in and nerfed some Japanese prospects PAs. The problem of course is that I'm not really knowledgeable enough about the Japanese game to do it accurately, but I guess I could have done some sort of across-the-board 20% cut or something like that.

Anyone with a link to an FM14.1.3 playable version??

Would every player have the overhead kicks ppm?

Captain Tsubasa?