Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs

With the mentality and fluidity of the tactic, the DMs act as box-to-box players, so I definitely wouldn't call this a defensive tactic.

Cheers for the reply - going to give it a go after having a good read of your description and attributes required. Only in pre season so hopefully that will give the tactic plenty of time to bed in.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Match preparation, defensive placement in 30 %? 40 %? 50 %?

The tactics works well. But I often take goals at the end of match. Any solution?

Until the tactic is completely fluid I have match prep as high as possible on tactics only (All notches to the left). Once fully fluid, i move it two notches down and add in defensive positioning. If I am winning by 1 or 2 goals I always time waste after 80+ minutes, I also make sure I have my most defensive options on (M R/L, DM)

Well after winning almost everything with Spurs first season, I am looking forward to 2nd season. Bought Sven Bender, James Rodriguez and Falcao.

First team now:

Lloris

Walker

Kaboul

Vertonghen

Assou Ekotto

Bale

Sandro

Bender

Rodriguez

Jovetic

Falcao

Will update when I get going.

I'm currently using this and recommend anyone struggling with tactics to try it. I had already said on FMBase, but will say it again here: well done smp20, great tactic!

As it's been said in FMBase, this tactic has the potential to do well with multiple formations. As long as the defenders and DMCs stay as in the original, you can change the front four to a formation you like more if you want. There is already a tweak to a 4231 with 3 AMCs, and it also seems to work well with a deep 4231 (AML, AMC, AMR, STC). But before tweaking it I reccomend using the original to familiarize with the tactic. And also because the original is already very very good.

Fantastic ! I'm playing with blackpool. Noticed that when you use opposition instructions, this tactic works a Thread ! I let my assistent do it .

I'm currently using this and recommend anyone struggling with tactics to try it. I had already said on FMBase, but will say it again here: well done smp20, great tactic!

As it's been said in FMBase, this tactic has the potential to do well with multiple formations. As long as the defenders and DMCs stay as in the original, you can change the front four to a formation you like more if you want. There is already a tweak to a 4231 with 3 AMCs, and it also seems to work well with a deep 4231 (AML, AMC, AMR, STC). But before tweaking it I reccomend using the original to familiarize with the tactic. And also because the original is already very very good.

Can you upload that tweaked tactic? thanks :)

What are your top 3 shouts to improve this tactic ?

I usually start with these:

- Hassle opponents

- Get stuck in

- Exploit the flanks

Deadliest combo of shouts: Pass to feet, retain posession, play through defence, hassle opponents, exploit flanks

Only problem I have had so far is when playing Man City. They always destroy me.

As someone has recommended, if they are using the typical narrow 4-2-3-1 I'd use the exploit the flanks shout.

What are your top 3 shouts to improve this tactic ?

I usually start with these:

- Hassle opponents

- Get stuck in

- Exploit the flanks

Deadliest combo of shouts: Pass to feet, retain posession, play through defence, hassle opponents, exploit flanks

The only shout I ever use is the exploit the flanks shout against narrow formations. Interesting to see that you are experimenting with shouts, what have the results been like?

Can you upload that tweaked tactic? thanks :)

There is a tweaked 4231 with 3AMCs uploaded by another user at FMBase. For the 4231 deep, from the original, I just moved the MR/L to AMR/L (winger attack), the CF to AMC (advanced playmaker support) and centered the striker (advanced forward). You also have to make sure that the 2 DMC are on support duty (when you change to this formation usually one of them automatically changes to defensive). But I haven't tested them for long, I'm currently using the original.

There is a tweaked 4231 with 3AMCs uploaded by another user at FMBase. For the 4231 deep, from the original, I just moved the MR/L to AMR/L (winger attack), the CF to AMC (advanced playmaker support) and centered the striker (advanced forward). You also have to make sure that the 2 DMC are on support duty (when you change to this formation usually one of them automatically changes to defensive). But I haven't tested them for long, I'm currently using the original.

Nice to see your still around Marcelo! You won't be disappointed with this tactic.

It's the main tactic I always come back to. I'm currently using the tweaked Brazil 1972 version to great affect.

Working well for me, currently got my Everton side challenging for honours, which we hadn't done in the past 3 seasons, only tweak I have made is changed the CF to Poacher and seems much more potent going forward (this could also be because my two young forwards are coming on in leaps and bounds also)

I asked on the FM base forum but never got an answer: Anyone notices a lack of through balls from their wingers? And if yes is it a matter of tactics or just a flaw with the ME? The tactic is simply brilliant but I just can't stand to see my winger ignoring the forward or midfielder when a through ball would be the obvious choice. Thanks!

I've started using this on my Liverpool save. Pre-seasson started well but i drew my first game of season with Stoke who actually had more of the play. I will continue with it and see how it goes.

I have a bit of money to play with and would really like to improve my left wing for this tactic. Who is one of the best left wingers to fit this tactic? Any suggestions would be appreciated

I decided to try the tweaked version using the changes you listed, been blown away by the success, my Hull team are scoring goals for fun (too many goals tbh :D) here's a screen shot of the results.

http://i45.tinypic.com/30usf2d.png

I should say i'm in 2024 and have built a world class squad, so most good tactics should do well with the players i have, but this tweaked version has just blown logic out of the window making my team score a ridiculous amount of goals. In total i've played 19 games, scoring a crazy 85 goals and only conceding 7. Brilliant.

I hope it was okay to post the tweaked version results, i just wanted to share the results. I've not used the original tactic but i'm sure it's just as brilliant as the tweaked version.

I asked on the FM base forum but never got an answer: Anyone notices a lack of through balls from their wingers? And if yes is it a matter of tactics or just a flaw with the ME? The tactic is simply brilliant but I just can't stand to see my winger ignoring the forward or midfielder when a through ball would be the obvious choice. Thanks!

I've actually seen the opposite: many of my goals come from beautiful through balls, it's one of the things that I most enjoy with this tactic. I'm also playing with limited skill players at the moment (lower leagues, Luton.) In fact, my biggest problem is not having enough DMs to rotate in.

I'm currently on a 5 match loosing streak with the tactic after Christmas. slightly earlier in the season i won five on the bounce, but now i just cant buy a win. One low point was being 3-1 up at half time and loosing the game 5-4.

Still will try persevere with the tactic until i get fired.

I don't know if it is related to the tactic but I am averaging an injury per game. I have 10 players out with lengthy injuries and not enough healthy to field a full 11+5.
I was having the same problem with my Newcastle save at least 5 to 6 players out at one time, I could understand if it was tiote, but it was all my other players with lower tackling abilities, so I don't know if the that is the problem or my players don't have enough strength, I will see how my second season goes

^^^^

I used smallest possible pitch cos the tactic's about Shadow Play and playing laytight lines and being hard to break down I think. Seems to be working well.

I'm playing as Aberdeen in the SPL. First season and I'm 2 points behind Celtic at Christmas. Quite remarkable cos their wage budget is around £350k/week and mine is £40k/week. Miles ahead of the chasing pack too.

Good stuff, enjoying the game again.

Yeah, i went for the smaller size after reading the OP again on the shadow play comment. Seems to have worked really well. Unbeaten in 6 at the start of the season. Happy with this. Seems to have finally clicked together.

Been looking to use this tactic and I've recently started a new game with Rangers.

What's stopped me though was in the 3rd division this looks like too defensive a tactic to adopt - given the fact that it uses two DM's.

How did you find that it played in the 3rd division? Did it seem like you were playing too defensive at times or did the attacking players actually shine through?

Found it was fine, only conceded 2 goals at Christmas in the league and was absolutely flying, smashed in plenty of goals and the AF and both Wingers got really involved. I can't love this tactic enough!

This has won me the SPL in the first season with Aberdeen..... 10 points in front of Celtic :D Outstanding achievement when you compare our meagre resources with those of Celtic.

evcgzl.png

I play as Aberdeen a lot (every year) and I can't remember the last time I won the league in Season 1.

Can't praise this tactic enough. Wonderful. Now for the Champions League

It must just be me, everyone else seems to be getting great results.

I'm using this in my Liverpool save but its seems so inconsistent. I've followed the instructions to the letter including the training. I even managed to sell some players who didn't fit the criteria (Coates, Downing and Henderson) which freed up cash to buy Nainggolan (seems perfect for the tactic) and Marcel Jansen (also decent as a defensive winger). Still no success.

After 15 games in the league i'm 6th (one below our predicted finish). You get the odd great result (beat Newcastle 5-0, Norwich 4-0, West Ham 4-0) but I've also had some real eye opening results (lost 3-2 to Salzburg at home, QPR 2-2 home, lost 1-0 Wigan at home). These results were coupled with obvious slaughters to Man City away (3-0) and Tottenham away (4-0). Other matches that I won were very lucky as well.

I feel like I've tried everything this year on 13 but just can't make any inroads.

I was immediately drawn to this tactic based on the title, I too like to create tactics based on real life's teams styles of play. After some initial success with a wing back system based on the successful 1998 Croatia team. I was trawling through Jonathan Wilson's excellent "Inverting the pyramid" to come up with my next, as AVB would term it, 'project' and decided on trying to mirror the success of Sacchi's great Milan side. As if by magic while searching for more sources of info online this tactic came up! Great opening post, very detailed with lots of interesting info.

My current Barca' style tactic is struggling so I'm going to try this out with my Ipswich side in the premier league 2013-14 season (media prediction 20th), I'll update you later, thanks Jon.

It must just be me, everyone else seems to be getting great results.

I'm using this in my Liverpool save but its seems so inconsistent. I've followed the instructions to the letter including the training. I even managed to sell some players who didn't fit the criteria (Coates, Downing and Henderson) which freed up cash to buy Nainggolan (seems perfect for the tactic) and Marcel Jansen (also decent as a defensive winger). Still no success.

After 15 games in the league i'm 6th (one below our predicted finish). You get the odd great result (beat Newcastle 5-0, Norwich 4-0, West Ham 4-0) but I've also had some real eye opening results (lost 3-2 to Salzburg at home, QPR 2-2 home, lost 1-0 Wigan at home). These results were coupled with obvious slaughters to Man City away (3-0) and Tottenham away (4-0). Other matches that I won were very lucky as well.

I feel like I've tried everything this year on 13 but just can't make any inroads.

Are you having the same problem as me? Can't keep possession, having hardly any shots on goal, and just get carved open by the simplest ball?

I was doing well with my Cardiff side in 2013/14, after promotion, with a different tactic but had drawn 6 of the last 9. Thought I'd try this one for the end of the season to try and keep our top 4 spot and for our last 11 games we went W9 D3 L1 and finished 2nd :)

The prize money we got was something like £25m and our chairman gave most of it to me for the new season :D

Brought in a few players:

£4.6m Gabrielle Paletta as we needed a CB who was good on the ball

cheapies £375k Johnathan Spector and £675k Seamus Coleman for their workrate and versatility

Joselu as he looks to be a very promising AF and was on the TM for a bargain £1.3m

My DoF also signed Thomas Drage. Expensive at £9m but looks excellent. Doesn't quite fit the hard-working ethic that this tactic requires but he'll play mainly in the games against weaker opposition.

I'll be interested in looking at the tweaked tactic as I have two quality wingers and an AM who don't play as much anymore so might use that tactic for home/easier games.

Started the next season with a 4-0 win over Man City in the community shield! We went 2-0 up against their usual narrow 4-2-3-1 formation and so they switched to a 3-5-2 at HT. They then had CB Dede sent off and they just carried on with 2 defenders lol

1st league game saw us beating Spurs 2-0 and looking comfortable.

Looking forward to this new season and Champions League football.

Many thanks for this tactic, it looks great.

Okay, quick update so far. Bear in mind my team has only 3 premier quality players the rest are rated as good championship players by my coaching team. Prior to switching to this tactic my Ipswich side were languishing in the bottom 3 but we're now up to 10th with 1 defeat in 9 to a very good Spurs team:

ipswichtownfixturessche.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I think with the addition of some better players that fit the system and have higher team work, positioning & work rate (Jay Emanuel Thomas was a stalwart of my promotion team but his work rate etc are all below 10!) I could really kick on!

Archived