Sports Interactive Community

Just wondering, does anyone here use nicknames? If so, when do you use them?

It's something I don't think I've ever done before. Not sure if I see the point of it really :confused:

I used to give players like Rooney nicknames like Shrek, but it only aided in making it more annoying when he scored, also when playing a network game and people have weird manager names to suit their nationality

If I have two players by the same name in the team I'll stick their first names on as the nickname (Sammy and Shola, Steve and Ryan Taylor, Kolo and Yaya Toure)

I often use it on scouts - I retype their name and add their JPA/JPP, i.e. Joe Bloggs (16/14). Handy when I've signed one just for their scouting knowledge rather than ability, if they give me a glowing report on someone, I send one of my proper scouts to check them over.

And sometimes a player just deserves a nickname. My favourite was Mike Lord at Gillingham in '12 - I renamed him Mike 'Sweet' Lord and imagined the home crowd singing George Harrison inspired chants at him.

I also gave a ref a nickname once after he sent my keeper off for carrying the ball outside of the box, but I think I should keep that particular name to myself...

I use it on my scouts:

UK Scout

Spain Scout

Euro Scout

Euro Scout 2

Sth American Scout

Etc. sometimes I would put their JAJP, but it changes a fair bit. Maybe a * at the end to show they're the best scouts.

As for players I've used it once in 6 years of playing. Two Brazilians with the same name in my team, I changed one to his real name, or part of it.

I put (youthp1) etc to my most promising youth player each year so I can track their careers easy if they leave my team

I've given Lee Lee and John Johnson (regens) nicknames in the past - Lili and Jojo respectively. I'm contemplating giving Mame Kebe, a 186 cm, strength 19 regen the nickname "Big Mama".

I'll give terrible nicknames to players who ask for ridiculous wage increases or jerks who disrupt the locker room.

Sometimes I find that my girlfriend has added nicknames to annoy me. She does it when I nip to the toilet *shakes fist*.

Very rarely. I did change the name of one player I had from 'Pingo' to 'Pingu' (Well, who wouldn't find that image funny :D), and my second 'Magical Milan' side to include the names of their counterparts from the first side earlier that career, but that's pretty much it.

Yes, always. It helps me navigate the game more easily, and it's very logical (to me):

Players: surname (If they have 4 stars, I write in CAPS)

Coaches: Coach [surname] (atk, def, etc.)

Scout - Scot [surname] x/y (player ability/potential)

Staff - they become: Dr surname, Dir. Football surname, etc.

etc...

Usually; lazy *****, slow *******, LONG SHOT GUY, Donkey, Titus Bramble.

What I would love to see is a dynamic nickname generator, where players would earn nicknames on their own. That would be rad.

I've only used nicknames in a few situations where it was too funny not to relate the player's real name to something else. I had "Harry Bull" and simply had to nickname him Hairy Balls. Also, when it's too hard to pronounce their name. Yigit Gazi Gungor = Yogurt.

I always change Dane Richards name to Dane "Party" Richards, because he insists that it's his real name whenever he plays fantasy MLS with me.

I use it for the best recommended youth players that come through my ranks but all I do is type their full name and add a * at the end so I can spot them.

Players: surname (If they have 4 stars, I write in CAPS)

Isn't that a bit confusing/self-defeating seeing as the star rating depends on the quality of your other players, meaning the rating could change drastically over time?

Only use it on scouts and coaches - on scouts I will do this - Joe Bloggs JPP 15 JPA 15 (I go in regularly and check if these have changed as well). On coaches like this Joe Bloggs - Ball Control.

This makes it easy for me to see the scouting ability and which coach does what training.

My favourite real nickname was a footballer called Fitz Hall - his was 'one size' Fitz Hall - totally brilliant!

I loathe when two players have the same surname and the game puts them as "Smith, A" and "Smith, X", for example, so they get nicknames in that case. Also, long surnames get nicknames. Otherwise, that's about it.

I'd like to nickname players with yp and their determination/personality etc but it annoys me too much when it shows their full name and that stuff in the matches

I loathe when two players have the same surname and the game puts them as "Smith, A" and "Smith, X", for example, so they get nicknames in that case. Also, long surnames get nicknames. Otherwise, that's about it.

That reminds me that on 2006 I had two Brazilian players whose nicknames were both (I think) Goncalves - that was confusing, so I renamed one of them. On my current 2011 game, every other top regen's nickname is Diego, which is also kinda confusing. Two of the top 3 footballers of the year were called Diego.

I like to keep their names short so I nicknamed Fernando Genro to 'Genro' so his long name doesn't annoy me while he's on the ball :)