Nicknames

I used to give players like Rooney nicknames like Shrek, but it only aided in making it more annoying when he scored, also when playing a network game and people have weird manager names to suit their nationality

I often use it on scouts - I retype their name and add their JPA/JPP, i.e. Joe Bloggs (16/14). Handy when I've signed one just for their scouting knowledge rather than ability, if they give me a glowing report on someone, I send one of my proper scouts to check them over.

And sometimes a player just deserves a nickname. My favourite was Mike Lord at Gillingham in '12 - I renamed him Mike 'Sweet' Lord and imagined the home crowd singing George Harrison inspired chants at him.

I also gave a ref a nickname once after he sent my keeper off for carrying the ball outside of the box, but I think I should keep that particular name to myself...

I use it on my scouts:

UK Scout

Spain Scout

Euro Scout

Euro Scout 2

Sth American Scout

Etc. sometimes I would put their JAJP, but it changes a fair bit. Maybe a * at the end to show they're the best scouts.

As for players I've used it once in 6 years of playing. Two Brazilians with the same name in my team, I changed one to his real name, or part of it.

Very rarely. I did change the name of one player I had from 'Pingo' to 'Pingu' (Well, who wouldn't find that image funny :D), and my second 'Magical Milan' side to include the names of their counterparts from the first side earlier that career, but that's pretty much it.

Yes, always. It helps me navigate the game more easily, and it's very logical (to me):

Players: surname (If they have 4 stars, I write in CAPS)

Coaches: Coach [surname] (atk, def, etc.)

Scout - Scot [surname] x/y (player ability/potential)

Staff - they become: Dr surname, Dir. Football surname, etc.

etc...

What I would love to see is a dynamic nickname generator, where players would earn nicknames on their own. That would be rad.

I've only used nicknames in a few situations where it was too funny not to relate the player's real name to something else. I had "Harry Bull" and simply had to nickname him Hairy Balls. Also, when it's too hard to pronounce their name. Yigit Gazi Gungor = Yogurt.

Players: surname (If they have 4 stars, I write in CAPS)

Isn't that a bit confusing/self-defeating seeing as the star rating depends on the quality of your other players, meaning the rating could change drastically over time?

Only use it on scouts and coaches - on scouts I will do this - Joe Bloggs JPP 15 JPA 15 (I go in regularly and check if these have changed as well). On coaches like this Joe Bloggs - Ball Control.

This makes it easy for me to see the scouting ability and which coach does what training.

I loathe when two players have the same surname and the game puts them as "Smith, A" and "Smith, X", for example, so they get nicknames in that case. Also, long surnames get nicknames. Otherwise, that's about it.

I loathe when two players have the same surname and the game puts them as "Smith, A" and "Smith, X", for example, so they get nicknames in that case. Also, long surnames get nicknames. Otherwise, that's about it.

That reminds me that on 2006 I had two Brazilian players whose nicknames were both (I think) Goncalves - that was confusing, so I renamed one of them. On my current 2011 game, every other top regen's nickname is Diego, which is also kinda confusing. Two of the top 3 footballers of the year were called Diego.

Archived