just what is a "high profile signing"

playing as celtic and just starting my second season,

one of the board requests this year is high profile signings

but I don't really get what they want

I've signed a younger prem left back for 15 million who is going to be a massive star for the team 4 1/2 star potential currently 3 1/2 and going straight into the team, and I've also signed Damien duff with 50+ caps on a free but still neither is listed as a high profile signing,

what should I be targeting?

Wouldn't have considered him a Celtic player myself... Personally, I wouldn't change my managerial style to fulfil a board promise, so long as you keep winning trophies your job should be safe, I would try to get rid of it next time you renegotiate your contract.

Weird story from a few FMs ago. Think it was FM05 on my Inter save; the board's January transfer window brief was that they wanted some world class, big-name players bringing in. I had a transfer budget of £8m available, so I wasn't sure what to do. I had a bid accepted for a promising young player who'd just broken into the German national side, but he wasn't what you'd call a household name. What happened next I've never seen or heard of since...

I received news items informing me that due to the lack of activity on my part, the board had taken matters into their own hands and signed Patrick Vieira for £50m and Ronaldinho for £58m. Putting the club £100m into debt by signing two players I didn't particularly want or need (due to central midfield already being my strongest position), and adding a hefty chunk onto the wage bill into the bargain.

Fortunately, it all worked out OK as I managed to make a heavy rotation system work and we went on to win lots of things. Ronaldinho managed to score probably the best individual goal I've ever seen on any FM in his second season.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. In answer to your question, it's very hard to say when the board makes demands like that but maybe they will do something similar for you.

This is one of the most annoying features of FM13 for me - Board Promises. I like the idea, but not the way they've been implemented.

Have Celtic been taken over by a tycoon in your save? The high profile promise is usually an indicator of one. I suppose it's kind of realistic as most tycoon owners have no idea how to run a football club. I had a tycoon when I went to manage Dundee. He demanded high profile signings, so I nodded until he left the room and then forgot all about it. He moaned and moaned through board confidence updates that I wasn't signing any high profile players. Being given only 8million in transfer funds doesn't exactly help - the best of the best are going to cost at least double that. So I did the sensible thing and bought young to build up the team. I was sacked about eighteen months later having only signed one player they considered "high-rep".

I got 31 year old Kaka with still a worldwide reputation to Santos on loan. I know he used to play for bitter rivals Sao Paulo but I was expecting some sort of monumental reaction due to his status. All I got was "The fans are reserving their reaction on Kaka until he has played a few games for the club".

The thing that usually happens with high profile signings (or at least this was the case in the older FMs) was that the board would let you exceed your transfer budget. Think now that it brings up the interact with board option, but I've not exactly been in this position.

Weird story from a few FMs ago. Think it was FM05 on my Inter save; the board's January transfer window brief was that they wanted some world class, big-name players bringing in. I had a transfer budget of £8m available, so I wasn't sure what to do. I had a bid accepted for a promising young player who'd just broken into the German national side, but he wasn't what you'd call a household name. What happened next I've never seen or heard of since...

I received news items informing me that due to the lack of activity on my part, the board had taken matters into their own hands and signed Patrick Vieira for £50m and Ronaldinho for £58m. Putting the club £100m into debt by signing two players I didn't particularly want or need (due to central midfield already being my strongest position), and adding a hefty chunk onto the wage bill into the bargain.

Fortunately, it all worked out OK as I managed to make a heavy rotation system work and we went on to win lots of things. Ronaldinho managed to score probably the best individual goal I've ever seen on any FM in his second season.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. In answer to your question, it's very hard to say when the board makes demands like that but maybe they will do something similar for you.

I can do one better... On 01/02 (I think) I was manager of Athletic Bilbao and as everyone knows, they are only allowed to sign Basque players. After about 8 seasons the board requested I sign Joe Cole and then got upset that I didn't. Fat Giant LOL.

OK, I'm in 2021 and recently took over Monaco. One of philosophies is signing high profile players. So i signed Gaston Ramirez who was transfer listed at R.Madrid but board whole 6 months was disappointed with lack of high profile transfers. So in January I signed David Luiz on free, global reputation and everything. Guess what? Board still disappointed. What the hell is it about? To splash dozens of millions?

Well, looks like it does work after all. I'm about month after January transfer window and it seems like transfer of D. Luiz made difference. Board is now pretty content, confidence bar went up to around 50%.

• 2 months later...

sorry I don't what to bump up an old thread but I just read the online manual from FM 13 and this is the defo of the High Profile players

High Profile Signings: Sign a good percentage of first team players with a higher reputation than the club.

I find this interesting.

On my Liverpool save, overachieved my first season by pure luck, as part of my new contract they wanted high profile signings.

I managed to get Falcao for 20m as he was listed and unhappy.

admittedly that used all my budget - however the board are less than pleased at my lack of high profile signings!!

I thinking that he is pretty high profile and also if they want more than one, I will need more than 20m!!

G

• 2 weeks later...

Archived