Sports Interactive Community
kimjjj

Is the Director of Football of any use?

What experience do people have? Assuming a Director of Football has good attributes, does he actually get good signings etc. on par with what we ourselves could have gotten, or are we always better off doing it ourselves? Thanks.

Depends how you play the game I guess. Its just a feature that is there if you want it. I personally don't really use it. What I tend to do if I make my way to a big team, is set him to scout and make offers for young players of the future, but leave the finalizing of the signing to myself, so when the news item pops up to sign someone, I delay it a week and check him out myself before deciding.

I love searching new talent as much as the next man, but if he has good attributes, he can pick up on some gems you weren't aware of. I suppose you could do the same for first team signing if you were messing around.

Always better doing it yourself. I have one but he's largely cosmetic and I don't give him much freedom and disregard most of his options. They usually bid for players I don't need or want, and for very high prices. I hate having 1st team player bought for me.

DoF alone isn't much use for my purposes, but the 'DoF features', i.e the unwanted list, development list and target list are great. If you use these then you have complete control over who you want or don't want, and the DoF does the dirty work. But you don't even need a DoF to use these features

A waste of wages in my opinion. The best one you can get is Frank Arneson, it costs 2m to get him out his current contract and then about 25k p/w - thats a lot of money for my LFC team when I am 25 mill in debt. Also, a few others have had DOF and they seem to just spend money on rubbish and sell good players for nothing!! It is something SI need to look at for future version, it would be realistic if teams in Spain etc made you have one or use one but not in England, they are a waste.

sell good players for nothing!!
They can only do this if you let them. People not understanding a very simple feature is not evidence of it being broken.

It's disappointing that they were implemented as an assistant you can hire/fire, rather than as someone who actually affects your own job role. The hierarchy seems off.

I get the impression that was a compromise decision, if the DoF & other such roles were implemented in a realistic manner I think there would rightly be uproar from the wider playing community.

I would like to see a two tier system that is selectable when creating a game, one option for the staff system to work in its current guise & another for an accurate simulation of a real life hierarchy that has the Dof being the number one guy in the appropriate nations, once you prove yourself as a manager you can use your success to negotiate a contract that gives you more of the control that would normally be assumed by the DoF.

They can only do this if you let them. People not understanding a very simple feature is not evidence of it being broken.

This isn't entirely correct. You can tell them to sell at value, at any value or sell or release (which in practice is the same). The "get as good a price as possible" option is missing. If you do not set a transfer value, the DoF set it to the player's value. This means that they are useless since you need to do as much micromanaging as before in order for the DoF to do his job properly - we aren't actually "letting" them do anything worthwhile as it is currently.

The way it should work is:

You put a player on the "not needed" list. This list is between you and the DoF and nobody else. You then get the choice between A) find a new club for X, B) transfer list and offer X out, and C) give away or release. A) is the option where, behind the curtains, the club looks for interested parties and/or contacts the agent. The player is informed that his contract will not be renewed. The DoF does not transfer list and/or offer out the player. If enough interest is generated, he should give you a report in your inbox telling you which clubs are interested and what they would be willing to pay (and when). B) should work as it does now, except the DoF sets the value based on the market and a trial/error approach. C) is only about reduction of the wage bill and should work as it does now. It basically sets the value to 0 and if no interest is generated by the end of the current transfer window, the player is released.

Well it's not really evidence of it working very well either is it? If the AI behind the DoF behaved with any common sense regarding squad building and transfer market it wouldn't let go of players that can have a role or can be sold for a fee. Unfortunately the whole feature is bound with the same issues and shortcomings that cripple AI teams' squad building process in long term.

This isn't entirely correct. You can tell them to sell at value, at any value or sell or release (which in practice is the same). The "get as good a price as possible" option is missing.
In my experience, if you sell at value, and then set the value as 'automatic', they get as good a price as possible. This includes selling Guidetti for 2.3 million after I offered him out for 1.5 and got no offers.
Well it's not really evidence of it working very well either is it? If the AI behind the DoF behaved with any common sense regarding squad building and transfer market it wouldn't let go of players that can have a role or can be sold for a fee. Unfortunately the whole feature is bound with the same issues and shortcomings that cripple AI teams' squad building process in long term.
I'm not talking about putting the DoF in charge of selling players, I'm talking about the unwanted list. I agree I could have been clearer in that regard, and therefore less snarky with it. Also, something not bein understood because it is obtuse is evidence of it not working well. Something very clear that obtuse people cannot understand can still potentially be working well.

Depends how you play the game I guess. Its just a feature that is there if you want it. I personally don't really use it. What I tend to do if I make my way to a big team, is set him to scout and make offers for young players of the future, but leave the finalizing of the signing to myself, so when the news item pops up to sign someone, I delay it a week and check him out myself before deciding.

I love searching new talent as much as the next man, but if he has good attributes, he can pick up on some gems you weren't aware of. I suppose you could do the same for first team signing if you were messing around.

This really.

My current DoF has just found a 15 year old italian newgen striker, agreed a fee to sign him for just £800k. He's already got championship level target man attributes (finishing, heading, jumping, strength etc all 15+). He's also a model professional, I got him scouted and he's 5 star potential.

He found him in area I wasn't currently scouting, from a league that wasn't loaded (Serie B) so it was a bonus find really. Nice to have on but leave the final confirmation to you so you can make sure they are right.

They can also help with sales/purchases. I've just bought Solomon Rondon as he was listed at Rubin. Asking price was over £45 million, DoF signed him for £29 million on installments.

I use his him to do stuff (like find young players, unwanted and transfer targets list) but leave all the confirmations to me.

Also like all staff his preformance will rely on him having good attributes.

I like him, sometimes he gets some very good players on bargain price. Just remember to set the option for you to have the final word.

I use one just to find players as i find scouting and player searching really boring now a days. I have full control over all confirmations tho, so no one signs or leaves without my ok. Overall i've just used him as a head scout, but with a different title, i wasnt expecting much from the feature and i've not got much out of it.

I only use my DoF @ Bayern for selling players. I tried for ages to shift Robben but he wanted 100k p/w wage contribution, so got the DoF to sell for any price iirc and he got it down 32k p/w wage contribution.

Whenever he tries to buy players its always far too much, or positions I really don't need cover in.

He's hopeless. Originally I had him do everything, and he spent my transfer budget on players who were poor, in positions I didn't need, for more money than they are worth.

So I changed to him doing the main bit, but letting me confirm everything.

Eventually I got so bored of endlessly cancelling deals for rubbish players that he now does nothing at all. Not even selling players.

If our experience of the DoF is anything to go by, it's obvious why the AI squad building is useless. "Why yes, we do need our 18th backup right back for £13m, make it so".

It's disappointing that they were implemented as an assistant you can hire/fire, rather than as someone who actually affects your own job role. The hierarchy seems off.

I wish the DoF was like this too.

This x 10000000!!!

As the first incarnation of the DoF, it isn't reasonable to criticise the way he works in the game too much, but this hierarchy issue makes a mockery of the feature imo. The reality is that in it's current form it is a time-saving feature, and doesn't reflect real life at all, which, again imo, is very poor from a game that calls itself a simulation.

From my time playing the demo I absolutely love the staff roles feature, but another failure of the hierarchy is that you can transfer your jobs onto the chairman - which again is just ridiculous and hugely unrealistic. Instead of being able to select him from the list I think it should require a conversation with the chairman in which you ask him to perform the chosen task - ie "(cautiously) To achieve our objectives I need to spend more time with the team. Would you consider taking control of transfer negotiations?" Perhaps there should even be a confidence bar related to this - If he agrees and you do badly then you should be able to be sacked for it.

So to answer the OP, yes the Dof is of use, especially if you just can't be bothered with all of the features of the main game. Some people on here have praised their DoFs for some great signings, so I would say it works well enough. Does it need major improvement in forthcoming releases? Unquestionably yes.

I've got a fairly decent dof, does stress me out when he is adamant on signing for a certain position. The player's he finds are better than what I have but the player's I have have a better personality and more potential. My players are performing well, my 3 Rd weakest left back is "good" at my current level with 2nd being "leading" at my level and 1st being "good" for the level above. So why would I need a left back?

I'd like to see more interaction with the dof, not necessarily a target list but a target position and type. For example I could tell him in the transfer window I want to find a young CM/AMC to be a fringe play with as much potential as possible. Another one could be I want a CB on loan to cover an injury at the club or to cover for a fixture pile up.

Totally disagree with this, way it is implemented is sensible - he can take on as much as you want but you are still in charge. This game would be pretty much pointless if he was your boss.

In my experience, if you sell at value, and then set the value as 'automatic', they get as good a price as possible. This includes selling Guidetti for 2.3 million after I offered him out for 1.5 and got no offers.

Hm, I must remember it for the next time I want to sell my players. Never used automatic before, cause I'm afraid he will give players away for free.

Hm, I must remember it for the next time I want to sell my players. Never used automatic before, cause I'm afraid he will give players away for free.
Since the first patch you have had the power to cancel, or at least I do anyhow. You still have the final confimration of the transfer, just he does all the legwork.

Disclaimer - as good a price as possible doesn't always equal good price, but if you have realistic expectations it should be fine

I'd like to see more interaction with the dof, not necessarily a target list but a target position and type. For example I could tell him in the transfer window I want to find a young CM/AMC to be a fringe play with as much potential as possible. Another one could be I want a CB on loan to cover an injury at the club or to cover for a fixture pile up.

This is what annoys me the most. I play with 3 at the back and so don't have any fullbacks. My DoF therefore is constantly trying to sign one for me. I will always check the player out because he may turn out to be a useful CB or winger but that isn't often the case. Same with other positions. I play one up front and have 3 strikers in the first team squad. He sees this as a lack of strikers and so tries to sign one.

I just wish there were more options available e.g. I want to tell him what positions to go look for or certain traits/abilities I am after. Occasionally he will come up with a gem of a player and that is the only reason I let him find and bid for players. Otherwise I'd stop him from doing it, let my scouts find the players and then add them to my transfer targets for him to sign.

Another thing that annoys me is that when you add a player to your unwanted or development list, you don't get any notifications if the sale/loan has been unsuccessful. You have to go back into that list to see it has 'failed'. Why can't they update you on it via a message just like what happens if you offer a player out to a club yourself?

I know what you mean I play 4-4-1-1 I have 5 cms 3.5 stars to 4.5 starts and 3 AMC in the same range. I'm constantly finding him bidding on players who play in those positions who are 30+ with 2.5-3.5 CA and PA.

Another thing that bugs me is why can he only do one player from each list at a time? And why will he start getting rid of unwanted players during a transfer windows? In the lower leagues he can send unwanted players on loan or at least set them up with a club in advance.

DoF is excellent addition in my opinion, if you use DoF he levels squad building ability of your club with AI teams.

I use the DoF to get rid of players when I can't be bothered myself (this means I use the unwanted list very sparingly). Sometimes he reports on good players from international matches he has watched. It is not worth paying him £15-20kpw, but 1,5kpw or so is cheap for a slightly helpful staff addition - just like the Head of Youth Development.

What I found extremely annoying, though, is that he rejects offers below the asking price if set to "sell at value". This includes loans. That's a very inflexible option then. Maybe as Herbert said the only viable option is "automatic" but the last time I used that it was seemingly the same as "sell at value". It might have been a coincidence, though. I might check it out the next time a player I -really- do not want is not wanted by any other clubs either.

Needs some more work, misses a few things I want to see.

- when I'm finalising deals I want to see the whole contract offered, not just the weekly amount.

- I want to specify a player type, eg back-up goalie, replacement left winger for the guy were trying to get rid of, etc.

- don't re-bid for a player who I've already cancelled a transfer for

DoF is excellent addition in my opinion, if you use DoF he levels squad building ability of your club with AI teams.

Was thinking this as I read down the thread. Having achieved world domination using the "find world class newgen" solution it might be fun to try to get a team bought and sold by the AI to work.

Does help get rid of the deadwood and loan players out.

I use him specifically for this.

He always finds clubs that offer first team for my players on the "development list".

He sometimes manages to get rid of the players I put on the "unwanted list".

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that he is by no means perfect, but very useful nonetheless.

In my view he is mainly an optional way to get rid of the task of dealing with transfers and contracts and a tiny bit of an additional scout.

I.e. he adds nothing which I would ever give out of my hands. Playing a football manager sim would be pointless to me if I didn't manage transfers.

Totally disagree with this, way it is implemented is sensible - he can take on as much as you want but you are still in charge. This game would be pretty much pointless if he was your boss.

Completely agree with this. I know we want realism, but there has to be a point where they think what's best for the game, rather than what is most realistic.

Completely agree with this. I know we want realism, but there has to be a point where they think what's best for the game, rather than what is most realistic.

I'll agree with your post to concur with the one that you quoted :p. Yeah, whilst I think that the DoF function is a little rough around the edges (the issues that most of you guys have mentioned), it's useful for finding bargains or getting rid of deadwood. I can see it becoming more important next year.

I'll agree with your post to concur with the one that you quoted :p. Yeah, whilst I think that the DoF function is a little rough around the edges (the issues that most of you guys have mentioned), it's useful for finding bargains or getting rid of deadwood. I can see it becoming more important next year.

Pretty much it. It's a feature in its infancy, and will improve. It has its moments where it is very useful, like when he finds a fantastic player you had missed yourself, but then it has its problems, like when he brings you yet another goalkeeper (his 6th) when you already have three.

Yes, but it's always felt like a half finished feature to me. I think they should have waited a year until they had it perfected.

There is good and bad but it's not a bad first incarnation.

The good : I have just had my Head of Youth Development and two coaches retire (although their write up suggested they would continue in their roles, but that's another matter!!) and the DOF signs Dave Parnaby as HOYD, with Ventrone and Steve Clarke as new coaches which isn't a bad effort at all quality wise.

He offloads a fair amount of deadwood and sometimes brings in a player I can't get for a decent price.

He finds Clubs to loan out Youth players, although personally I think too many youth players whine about wanting to go out on loan.

The bad : There needs to be an option to finalise a loan out before it goes through like there is permanent transfers. On occasion I have thought of keeping a youngster for first team experience but have forgotten to change their status to "not available for loan" and hey presto the DOF loans him out and I cannot reverse the deal.

At times he is very slow. At the start of one summer I gave him a large list of transfer targets and most were still pending with only a couple of weeks to go till the start of the season. It doesn't happen like that every year so it was a bit surprising as to why he slacked that particular year. By the time 90% had refused I didn't have much time to attract new targets.

However I have had Les Reed from the first season and he does do a decent job although he does miss some obvious ones. I checked the free transfers and have brought in Wilfried Bony, Seydou Doumbia and Camacho all on frees. Mr Reed missed those!!!

Re Scouting: It feels so detached. Don't think I have ever actually signed a player on the basis of a scouts report in FM13. It's hard to check what assignments they are on and half of them seems to have been scouting Peru for the last 3 years! However it's easier to just leave the Head Scout too it than try and do it yourself. I'll just check the player search as it's less hassle. Something needs to be done to make scouting more user friendly.

There is good and bad but it's not a bad first incarnation.

The good : I have just had my Head of Youth Development and two coaches retire (although their write up suggested they would continue in their roles, but that's another matter!!) and the DOF signs Dave Parnaby as HOYD, with Ventrone and Steve Clarke as new coaches which isn't a bad effort at all quality wise.

He offloads a fair amount of deadwood and sometimes brings in a player I can't get for a decent price.

He finds Clubs to loan out Youth players, although personally I think too many youth players whine about wanting to go out on loan.

The bad :

Yeah I agree its not perfect, but its a good first start, with a good base to build on.

I think how he sets your scouts needs to be looked at though.

I use him for pretty much everything apart from looking for transfer targets and hiring head staff.

I use him to find me loan options when im managing newly promoted teams to the Conf North/South. He seems to be able to convince the players that I had previously attempted to sign and who had no interest, to sign for me. He can also often offer higher wages than I can for the same player (whilst still being inside the wage budget), for those frustrating times when your wage budge will allow $150pw, which is all the player wants, but you can only offer $90pw...

Yes, but it's always felt like a half finished feature to me. I think they should have waited a year until they had it perfected.

I guess it's for feedback as well. It's easier to find difficulties with tens, if not thousands of people playing a game rather than a dozen testers.

I guess it's for feedback as well. It's easier to find difficulties with tens, if not thousands of people playing a game rather than a dozen testers.

More importantly, how would it have been perfected? How would they know what worked and what didn't without feedback on it.

I think its asking a hell of a lot for something to be release perfect on a first try.

Going back to the OP, on my only long-term FM13 save I was at a pretty mediocre club and the DoF's stats weren't particularly impressive. Despite this though, I though he was able to negotiate contracts with players (new and current) far better than I could. Sometimes considerably.

I would say, give it a go and perhaps don't read too much into the stats and just make sure you have final say on confirming transfers.

More importantly, how would it have been perfected? How would they know what worked and what didn't without feedback on it.

I think its asking a hell of a lot for something to be release perfect on a first try.

Yeah that's a fair point, I think people underestimate the amount of fine detail that the researchers and developers put into the game. Of course it's their job (and I'm sure they're paid accordingly) but they still want to make a nice product. As much as it's not the place to say, there are a few details/bugs which annoy me, for example when a tactic switches over when you're about to play a game, but the game has a lot of potential to improve. People expect too much way too fast.

As with anything the developers introduce there will always be ways of improving it. I remember when media interaction was introduced, no where near perfect but can always be improved, even now can still be improved.

I want to use the DoF to sell players not needed or loan players out for development but within a few more specific guidelines. Also like people have said to have more interaction with them ie talk about specific transfer targets, what areas need strengthening etc.

The person who complained that it takes a while I think that's like real life though. Really transfers take a lot longer than people really appreciate esp for high profile players. If you gice them a long list of players needed and players to sell and loan that is a lot to do and so will take a while. Sometimes the game is really quick ie here is an offer, they accept it, contract negotiation done with in minutes, they sign. Which in reality this is not always the case. I think contract negotiations should take longer ie they tell you what they want but you then present what you want to offer at which point they come back straight away with any changes which I think is not realistic, at this point the agent should go away and come back later either same day or next day etc,

Definitely the biggest chore for me is extending staff contracts, it would be cool if you could hand that job to DoF as well

Definitely the biggest chore for me is extending staff contracts, it would be cool if you could hand that job to DoF as well

In the staff responsibilities screen you can set the DoF (or chairman or any directors) to Hire/Fire all other staff.

I haven't tried it so can't confirm is this includes renewals, but I can't think why it wouldn't.

Does help get rid of the deadwood and loan players out.

i find that players on high wages that i cant move on and i need to free up wages will always 99% of time accept a mutual termination off the DOF, where as they will 99% of the time tell me no

So it turns out Mike Ashley was playing FM13 when he came up with the idea of appointing Joe Kinnear, eh?

Or perhaps not, since Kinnear seems to be Pardew's boss, rather than an assistant. Not that there's a lot of clarity coming out of St. James as of late...