Sports Interactive Community
coolestrock

Best way to pick the best starting eleven?

For years i have wondered which ways people pick their team?

I usually scout players with the best scout i can find, i then scout the best players again using a coach with the best JA/JP attributes. This gives me an idea of what standard he thinks the player is ie: Leading star for premiership but 3rd best in sqaud.

I then use the team report and use the same coach too sort them out in order and i basically pick my team that way.

However over the last few months i have been tinkering with my team using the correct attributes based on the players position ie: a poacher requires the attributes : Dribbling, Finishing, 1st Touch, Anticipation, Composure, Offball, Acceleration, Agility, Balance, Pace. A maximum of 20 for each attribute and there are 10 attributes required therefore the maximum score a player can get with these attributes is 200.

If i then add up a players attributes using these you get a score e.g 150 if you divide this by the number of attributes, in this case 10 it gives an average of 15.

This player has an average score of 15 for the poacher position. I do this for all my strikers and get a indication as to who has the better average.

Is this a good way of picking a team??

What are your ways of picking your team and buying players, i am really interested in your theories ( sorry for the long and confusing post lol)

I pick whoever I think is the best player in that position and role/duty, for that match, but pay attention to the players' match fitness levels, condition, and my own rotation regime, and pick accordingly. I also make sure that up-and-coming youngsters gets their fair share of matches, either as starters or as subs. There's lots more that needs to be taken into consideration than just picking the best 11 all the time. No matter what "system" you use. Allways picking the best 11 leaves you with a squad full of tired and jaded first-choice players, probably excessively injured too, as well as quite a few unhappy players (because they don't get to start enough matches), as well as youngsters seriously hampered in skill progression.

Can't comment on more recent games as I haven't played them, but I usually choose a formation based on where the best players are, perhaps more biased towards attributes than form, then both my selection and formation goes out the window soon enough anyway and I'm picking players I thought were crap and a less imaginative formation.

Depends on how well I know the squad. If it is a team I have built up over a few seasons there is a good chance I know every player inside and out and I will pick according to the opposition, weather, and how I want to approach the game tactically.

I would never use a mathematical basis for selecting my players as there is far more going on than just the key attributes for the position. Work Rate isn't listed as a key attribute for a poacher, but would certainly factor into my selection as poachers can find themselves isolated and need to have a mentality to bring themselves into the game.

Wow, didn't expect auto select to be so popular.

I pick my players based on a combination of attributes, form, morale, fitness (generally I only play players above 90% for both condition and match fitness, and preferably above 95% for condition), previous match reports (eg if I see a newish player is still adapting), and strength of opponent - I'll give my second choices and young players a go sometimes against weaker teams especially at home; and I might tweak my defenders based on whether the opponents forwards are particularly speedy or particularly good in the air. But the biggest factor is just how good I judge each player to be based on prior performances.

To be honest I do not give much attention to attributes, I always select players for the first 11 based on the following criteria:

1. Fitness - I try to keep it over 95%

2. Form - the rating in the last 5 games is very important

3. Potential - I always select players with better potential (I am a young-players freak), because they have high chances of becoming stars

3. Status - if he is a player who should get more games according to his squad status than another one, I will pick him

Click on the opposing team; check out their current tactics and take into account what your scout told you.

Click on the players in the current tactic, looking for weaknesses. Use the filter to see who else is available for that position and how often they played. If you're a big name team, chances are the AI will pick the players with the most appearances, even if they're not currently selected. So check these guys out too. You should be able to guess most of the players in the starting formation if you do this. Note any injuries which may mean a weaker player will have to be selected or someone will be played out of position - if you're up against a 17 yo full back with poor defensive attributes, you need to exploit that flank for example.

Once the opposition's strengths and weakness have been identified (e.g. defence weak in the air, midfield is battling but uncreative, strikers are quick and skillful), come up with a battle plan as to how to exploit their weaknesses and limit their strengths (e.g. play over the flanks to strikers with good jumping and heading and using good crossers on the wings, battling central midfield to negate theirs while attacking over the flanks, quick defenders and/or deep defensive line). Take into account what your scout told you about how they like to play - if they're going to counter attack you want your midfield to be able to take up good positions; if they're going to go gung-ho on you, pick quick players for the counter.

Choose the appropriate players for the formation you think is best to counter and exploit the opposition. Things like current form, fitness etc. should play a role, as should making sure you aren't only playing teenagers. Select some impact subs that will allow you to react to the opposition changing tactics or you needing to adopt a different approach (close out the game with a defensive holding midfielder, create chances with a creative midfielder etc.)

Obviously some of your players will be dead certs to start important games if fit - your captain, your best goalkeeper etc. But rather than selecting your "best 11", it's better to select the best 11 vs your opponents and for your tactic in that game. This is where you as a human have a massive advantage over the AI who'll select players who look good on paper (or actually in terms of CA and reputation) rather than players with the attributes required to win the game against whoever you're playing. So make the most of this advantage!

I pick the best player for each position, unless they are under 90% fitness, when I pick the next best player for the position. Who I think is the best player is almost always by ratings by I will consider form if they are similar players.

Oh yeah, if I'm one of those top teams who has a top class squad with depth, I'll look at the opposition's players and note down the highest Pace, Jumping and Strength for all the strikers (top two), the left side (LM, LB), right side (RM, RB) and the CBs (top two, or three if they play three).

Then I'll eliminate players from my own squad that don't beat their potential opposing player's Jumping, Pace and Strength.

If more than one player has the beating of the opposition (or matches all three, or beats two attributes and matches one etc.), I'll look at the next next opposition if the game's within 4 days to rest whoever I need then. If not, I'll see who played well or not well in the last few meetings.