Who are the surprise team in your game?

It seems that a lot of games, particularly in the English leagues, feature a lower-league team getting taken over by a tycoon and rocketing up to become a top-5 contender, without any human involvement. So, while I know a lot of people will have played quite a distance into the future, the question is, who was the first to do it on your game?

On my FM12 game, Portsmouth came out of administration thanks to a tycoon from Hong Kong, and haven't looked back since. Although they haven't captured the title yet, the last three seasons they finished 4th, 4th and 3rd in the Prem. This season, 2020/21, they're currently sitting 2nd behind Chelski.

I'm in 2044/45 season and the only side that's a surprise in the EPL is Plymouth who in the last 10 seasons have gone from league two to the EPL without a tycoon and in this time they've had 5 managers 4 of which have left for "bigger" clubs.

I'm only a few seasons in, and Wolves are currently in the top four. Wolves always seem to do well in the last few versions of FM for some reason for me. And Oldham are currently bottom of League 2. Could become the first Premier Leauge member team to become non-league?

I'm in 2021 in EPL, and not any surprises in the league really, though Stoke and Wigan are established in Europe, but not challenging for the title any time soon.

However, Cameroon won the 2014 World Cup and England won the Euros in 2020.

I'm in 2019 and the surprise teams are Lavallois in France (who got to the Quarter Finals of the Champions League and got relegated in the same season), and Ternana, who have turned into consistent contenders for the European places in Italy, and have good runs in Europe.

Archived