Do you take an interest in a club you manage on the game in real life?

Can't believe there's not a thread on this already, I have looked?

Managing Austrian second division BW Linz, and tonight found myself watching their real life game on the Bet365 site. I recognise all the names because I'm more or less playing with the same squad... in fact, got really annoyed with Poljanec when he missed an easy chance in the real match lol. And got quite excited when Sulimani came on as sub, as he's got 9 goals in 15 matches in my game, but irl... he doesn't seem to be the 'assassin' as described on FM. :o

But yeah, getting into Blau-Weiss and their struggle against relegation, while I'm battling to get them promoted on my computer. Also interesting, they're now sharing the larger Linzer Stadion with LASK, in my game we're still in a poxy 2,000 capacity ground... but I'm getting higher attendances!

Anyone else adopting a club based on their FM experiences with them? I'm thinking of buying a BW shirt online, with Sulimani on it. :D

On FM 2012 I took a vast interest in Mlada Boleslav from Czech Rep, best ever save I had on an FM game 6 whole seasons and in my 5th season won the European Cup with them, had one player Jan Chramosta an amazing talent regular scored goals for fun and always got 20+ a season but he doesn't appear to do it week in week out in real life also managed to sign Micah Richards to them but he was getting on a bit. Now the transfer update has been released i'm now looking for a new team

I seem to recall a thread where a bloke travelled from Australia to Europe to watch a team he fell in love with while managing them in FM.

Always have since playing FM, become a bit of a 'fan' of a few clubs from memorable saves. Betis, Bochum, Dijon, Mainz, FC Oss come to mind of teams I now 'follow' - I always wiki the team I'm managing when I go there to get an understanding of the club and stuff.

Betis is such a favourite I plan to see them one day...haven't yet which I still get annoyed at cos I did wonders there!

Always have since playing FM, become a bit of a 'fan' of a few clubs from memorable saves. Betis, Bochum, Dijon, Mainz, FC Oss come to mind of teams I now 'follow' - I always wiki the team I'm managing when I go there to get an understanding of the club and stuff.

Betis is such a favourite I plan to see them one day...haven't yet which I still get annoyed at cos I did wonders there!

Oh yes, I learnt that LASK Linz swallowed up VOEST Linz in a merger/takeover, and BW was formed by hardcore Voestler fans wanting to continue the traditions of their old club. And so, I was so happy to beat LASK 6-0 in my FM game, it felt like a real triumph! :D

yeah i do it too, thats why im ever so picky about who be.

also on a flip side i very rarely, if ever be the team i support because when they get beat i dont feel in the mood to play with them and i hate starting up new games

Ah, ya see I'm a Manchester City fan, and I used to enjoy being us in old editions, but now with all the money, it's not the kind of game I like to play, with the millionaire superstars. I prefer battling against the odds, and finding players for £20,000 who turn out to be heroes, such as di Blassis from Argentina is for my Blau-Weiss Linz side.

I still remember the first team I played on FM back in 2008 was FC Poli Timişoara and I developed a connection with the players within the years of managing them. I would go to the internet and look for team info, and game updates. I developed a fantastic talent in named Gabriel Torje at the club and also was able to bring in talents like Mauro Zarate and Jell Vossen. I still have an affinity to the team currently even though I haven't played them since FM 2010.

I'm currently managing the team I support so, yes ;)

Seriously though it has only happened to me once after I had a great save with St Pauli on FM08/09, I now regularly check to see how they're getting on. Otherwise, I too check the team out on Wikipedia but just to see what they're about more than anything.

I've not managed to stay at a club long enough to develop an affinity with them on FM13 as of yet! Although I do when it comes to players I sign. I tend to always look them up out of interest to see what they look like etc. Sometimes follow them on twitter too. William Ekong actually retweeted me last year when I told him he was the top scorer in my FM12 Bury side!

Yep, this has happened to me on a few occasions. Deportivo, Ravenna, Inter, Colorado Rapids, Ajax and (from my current save) Sochaux are all teams who I previously have had no connection with but have found myself keeping an eye out for their results IRL just because of spells I've had with them on FM. All good I guess, none will ever overtake Sunderland as my true footballing love and anything that provokes an interest in football outside of England has got to be worthwhile.

Korona Kielce, CS Mioveni and IÁ are the three clubs closest to my heart. I already have teams in England, Italy, Germany and Spain so I try and manage in alternative countries where possible.

I've never managed to find a French team I liked, or even enjoy playing in France or Portugal. If anyone has a suggestion for a smallish club with potential in either of those two nations I'd be happy to hear it (although that's not this thread).

Still, IÁ are probably my all-time save, and I still smile to think of them, so if I ever move to Iceland..

On CM03/04 I turned Forest Green into the best side in the world. Had a regen called Josh Sinclair who became arguably the world best ever striker. He came into my youth side at 16, was a regular first team starter at 17, and from the age of 20 till when he dropped to the bench at 34 he only once scored under 35 goals in a season.

Loved him so much I bought myself a team shirt with Sinclair on the back, which I still had until a couple of years ago when our new dog chewed it up really badly and I had to throw it away :(

now that is commitment! to be honest if I had a similarly brilliant regen I would probably want to do similar; awesome stuff!

I was never really one for doing this until FM12. In past FMs I used to always go Man Utd, as I was boring and unimaginative. It wasn't until I left FM behind for its sexier MMO cousin FML, and then subsequently returned with a grovelling apology, that I got really into managing other clubs.

I started a one-club save with Stockport County, intending to build them up to being the best in the World. All I had to go on was that they were a club one of my best friends had family links to. I have to say that now, after spending a long, long time battling my way up the leagues to the Premiership, and then finally winning the Champions League (against Man Utd of all clubs...) I have a big soft spot for them. I returned there in another FM12 save, but since then I've added a few more clubs to my list...

Major League Soccer - if I had to pick a club in particular, it would probably be LA Galaxy or Toronto FC, but thanks to FM I've gotten really into the MLS. It's utterly bonkers in structure, and typically American, but it's something different to the usual league structures. Had a watch of the MLS Cup Final last year, and hopefully pick up a few games this season.

Como - I'll be visiting Lake Como on my honeymoon this summer, so wanted to manage the club side based there for a little while in FM13. Absolute rollercoaster of mediocrity, yo-yoing from Serie C2, up to C1, then B, then all the way back down again eventually. I was there for 10 seasons, and left them pretty much where I started, but I'll make sure I bring back a Como shirt this summer.

Hertha Berlin - Had another ten season spell trying to win the Champions League. Best I could manage was the semi-finals before Man Utd trounced me. They'll always be a team I favour in FM, but not so much in real life.

Funny enough, I have bought 4-4-2 mag and spend half the day looking at the latest Borrusia Dortmund news on Sky Sports! I do normally choose which club to go as if I read a good article about someone though. If I am struggling for who to go as , a good footy mag normally gives me some inspiration.

Archived