Sports Interactive Community
Zoetermeer

My U18 Manager Won't Play My Best Prospect

My youth team is small, with a core of 5-star prospects. I've set it up this way to ensure that they all get maximum playing time, and if there aren't enough players to fill out the squad for a match, the game generates players randomly to fill slots.

The problem is that my best prospect, a 16-year-old midfielder, never plays in these games -- ever. He's rotting away with no match experience and his fitness is bad. The randomly-generated "unknown" players are playing ahead of him, for no reason. Is there anything I can do? Anybody know why this could be?

It's a strange one.

Maybe your u18 manager doesn't recognise him.

Maybe you could try promoting him to the reserves and then back into u18s

I suppose the obvious question is: is he too old to play?

13 and 13. Is that the problem? Surely even with those ratings he can't be incompetent enough to not differentiate a made-up fill-in player from a top prospect.

Gazz, too old to play? In the OP he says he's 16. I also have this problem sometimes but mainly in reverse. I have a few good players in my reserves who don't get picked, instead some crappy U18s play instead. At least with the reserves I have the option of taking control myself but I have an U18 manager in charge of the U18s and unless I sack him there's not much I can do about which players he picks to play

....apart from putting the player in your reserves and controlling that side too, I guess. A pain that should not need to happen

The lack of control over how your reserves and under 18s function, short of managing these sides yourself, has been a glaring issue in the game for years.

2 seasons back I had a guy as U18s manager and failed to pay any attention to his preferred playing style or tactics, meaning he played the completely wrong formation all season. IMO don't bother with U18s manager unless really desperate for extra coaches.

The lack of control over how your reserves and under 18s function, short of managing these sides yourself, has been a glaring issue in the game for years.

Yeah but the lack of control over the U18's isn't really the issue here -- the issue is that my U18 manager isn't behaving rationally and is letting a world-class prospect sit behind made-up filler players.

Yeah but the lack of control over the U18's isn't really the issue here -- the issue is that my U18 manager isn't behaving rationally and is letting a world-class prospect sit behind made-up filler players.

Do you think I can avoid this if I just sack my U18 manager?

Don't know. Not something I'd normally suggest but save your game, sack him, then see if you can take control. If not, then just load back up your game

But it is a relevant issue. You have no way to sit the U18 manager down and say "I want this player played in this position".

I had a similar issue with my reserves when I dropped an underperforming first team striker. I put him in the reserves and actually forgot about him (whoops) until I got a message saying that he was unhappy about the lack of games he was getting. I think it was 5-6 weeks after I demoted him. When I checked to see how he had been performing in the stiffs, he hadn't played a single minute for them! The reserves had played a game for each week he was there but it was an U18 striker who was playing ahead of him.

I know its a slightly different issue but still it shows that there could be something amiss with other squads and the "Managers" who run them for the human player.

I thought in fm 2013 you cant control the reserves or under 18's. I would like to control both myself but cant find an option anywhere to do this.

The game AI has been and seemed will always be picking players based from the "potential" not form or anything else. Those with higher reputation players always getting picked no matter how crappy his games were.

Welcome to FM

The game AI has been and seemed will always be picking players based from the "potential" not form or anything else. Those with higher reputation players always getting picked no matter how crappy his games were.

Welcome to FM

That can't be true. Otherwise my U18 manager would pick my player with 5-star potential over a player with "unknown" reputation that was generated by the game to fill out my youth squad for a particular game.

completely agree. For each player in the relevant squad we should at least have options to force selection, make unavailable (to save hassle of moving squad and remembering to put back again), and sub after x minutes

Why did I discover this thread? I've been happy an ignorant for years about this subject.

Gazz, too old to play? In the OP he says he's 16. I also have this problem sometimes but mainly in reverse. I have a few good players in my reserves who don't get picked, instead some crappy U18s play instead. At least with the reserves I have the option of taking control myself but I have an U18 manager in charge of the U18s and unless I sack him there's not much I can do about which players he picks to play

Ah, so they did. My apologies.

I've had that too what you say but I find some players in the reserves can become unavailable for the reserves.

If you notice a player in your reserves not getting games and they really should you can right click him go to squad then there may be an option to make available to reserves.

I only noticed this when my assistant asked me who to make available for reserves and it said I had 2 player in my reserves team not available for the reserves. I was ready to demand a drugs test on my assistant for asking a stupid question but I right clicked on one of the player's and went to squad. He had the black dot next to reserve tam but underneath that he had an extra option saying available for reserve team. I clicked that and my assistant started picking him.

It would be great to have this option to rotate the reserves manually but without actually having even more games to play but I can't find such option.

I'm sure I remember in some of the older FMs (it may even have been CM) you could specify that certain players in your reserves would start in certain positions by being able to put the MC (or whatever) icon by their name on the team screen. You wouldn't control the team (I wouldn't want to anyway, my FM playing time nowadays is so limited that it takes forever to complete a season just with first team games) but that would act as an instruction that the given player would take that position. I think you could specify the entire reserve squad in this way if you were that way inclined but just leave the reserve manager to control them in the match. This would, I suppose, be the equivalent of a manager telling his assman/reserve manager/youth manager something like "I want you to start player X in central midfield as he has great potential and needs game time". Presumably this isn't an option anymore but if SI could reintroduce it to the game it would be great as it would be much easier than having to take control of the reserves/U18s yourself.

I said this idea on another thread similar to this one. Basically it's a philosophy for your reserves. Either blood youngsters or keep fringe players match fit. It could be in the form of a slider. All the way to match fit means fringe players are picked wherever possible with players with potential only filling gaps. All the way to potential picks young players in the reserves where ever possible filling any gaps with older players. In the middle being at your assistants discretion or based on squad status/ability.