FM13: Big Bad Bumper Guide to Sudamerica

swisso

Big Bad Bumper Guide to Sudamerica

What is this place?

A place for anyone managing in South America, from Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Chile, Colombia to Uruguay! Tell us about your exploits with Chilean minnows or your all conquering Brazilian powerhouse, the newgens you've discovered from the Atlantic to the Pacific and your journey through the glamourous Copa Libertadores!

Individual threads:

Boca Juniors

Uruguay Premier Division

Leagues you can manage in: Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Peru, Chile, Uruguay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

21971u1.jpg

Sounds fancy!

South America's ultimate continental competition, akin to Europe's UEFA Champions League, encompases all the nations on the continent from Venezuela in the North to Argentina in the South. Qualification is generally gained by winning your domestic League, finishing as runners-up or in the case of Leagues with opening and closing stages; winning either of them. Leagues with opening and closing stages also allow the overall-3rd placed team to qualify and the winner of the Copa do Brasil also qualifies.

Rated as 4.5 stars in Football Manager 2013 it's the highest rated competition in South America with the biggest teams. Kicking off in January every year, matches take place until the final in June/July.

What's the format?

Prize money is limited compared to Europe's competitions but the gate receipts do bring added revenue to smaller clubs.

Preliminary Round: £125k

Group Stage: £316k

2nd Round: £156k

Quarter Final: £187k

Semi Final: £218k

Losing Finalist: £625k

Winner: £1.25m

Each round features home and away ties for every opponent meaning a minimum of 14 games must be played to win the competition if entering in the Group Stage as League or Stage champions and a maximum of 16 if entering in the Preliminary Round.

League winners and runner up teams generally enter in the Group Stages. Clubs finishing 3rd or 4th place or overall-3rd placed teams (from Leagues with Open/Close stages) enter in the Preliminary Round. Similar to the UEFA Champions League!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2vcjn7k.jpg

South America's Europa League?

South America's second continental competition, it's overshadowed by it's bigger brother; the Copa Libertadores. Formed by a merging of 2 regional cups in 2002 it features all clubs from across the continent but generally those finishing outside the top 2 or 3 League positions.

Rated as 3.5 stars in Football Manager 2013 it kicks off in July and continues until December.

What's the format?

Prize money is smaller compared to the Copa Libertadores but again the gate receipts do bring added revenue to smaller clubs.

1st Preliminary Round: £93k

2nd Preliminary Round: £125k

1st Round: £125k

Quarter Final: £156k

Semi Final: £187k

Losing Finalist: £218k

Winner: £312k

Brazilian and Argentinian teams enter in the 2nd Preliminary Round and compete against each other to qualify for the 1st Round.

There is no group stage and each round features home and away ties for every opponent meaning a minimum of 12 games must be played to win the competition if entering in the 2nd Preliminary Round as a Brazilian or Argentinian team and a maximum of 14 if entering in the Preliminary Round.

Tips and Tricks!

A lot of people find it tough managing in South America. The seemingly endless schedule of games can make it a long hard slog and it can become tiresome, but the appeal is that outside of Europe, it's the most developed continent of football clubs and leagues and there are endless superstars to manage!

Newgen Dates

Newgens are the 'youth players' that are created by the game every season and they'll come through into the youth teams at a certain date every year.

Argentina: 2nd April

Uruguay: 18th April

Paraguay, Bolivia, Ecuador, Venezuela: 6th June

Chile: 18th September

Brazil: 19th September

Colombia: 27th September

Peru: 15th October

Scouting

My own take on Scouting is somewhat exploiting the scouting system slightly to ensure you get the best youngsters asap.

• Sign a scout from each nation possible, ie. a scout from Peru, Paraguay, Colombia. They don't have to have a very high rating for Judging Potential but it does help
  • On the dates listed, send the Colombian scout to Colombia, the Peruvian scout to Peru and so forth
  • Delete any conditions that have been set and add a new one of Maximum age is '16'
  • Your scout will report back with 2 days with any of the new 16 year old youth players he recommends
  • If he's found some promising players, send a scout with the highest 'Judging Potential' you have to take a look at the players to make sure you spend money wisely!

Squad building

Remember, you're NOT IN THE EU! Each league has strict limits on foreign players. It's great being able to sign 5 Frenchmen, 4 Italians and 7 Spainards while managing little old Everton, but that won't fly in South America

• Essential that you build a squad of the best domestic players you can or at least players capable of sustaining a title challenge
  • Only sign the best young foreign talent you can find, let your domestic players be the squad fillers and the foreigners the Key Players. Use the foreigner spots wisely
  • A big squad is needed for heavy rotation (a season can consist of 72+ games!) so keep an eye on the Reserve and U20 squads and make sure they're full of capable backups

Over to you...

Tell everyone about your experiences, your top buys, top newgens, your tips and your tricks about managing in South America...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My experiences... with Universidad de Chile

chile_flag.jpg

I'm currently in October 2016 with 'La U' and enjoying every minute!

The League was pretty much straight forward, the season is split into Opening and Closing Stages and the top 8 then enter a playoff in each stage and play a knockout system to crown the Champion. Really struggled to get into the schedule at first because it felt like there was no seasonal break (a month or so at Christmas is all you get really).

My plan was to:

• Sign all the best youngsters i could find from across South America for cheap money
  • Expand the facilities to 'State Of The Art' within 5 seasons
  • Upgrade the 'Youth Coaching' and 'Youth Recruitment' to their maximum within 5 seasons
  • Heavily focus on developing Chilean U20 players from my Academy and other Academies

Well it's 2016 now and i've met most of the targets. Spending around £15m so far since July 2012 on Facilities has hit me heavily since £15m is a massive, massive sum of money in Chile, where squad wagebills can reach a mere £50k per week! It's difficult to see if i've actually reaped the benefits of spending a collossal amount of money on Training but i want the club to be the best it can be regardless.

Youth Coaching is now costing us £340k a month, higher than our wagebill of £250k a month! I'm not seeing much benefit from having 'Exceptional Junior Coaching' though, perhaps because Chile just isn't producing that many decent newgens yet so we're getting our share of a poor crop.

Developing the youngsters is going well, the playoff system means that it doesn't matter too much if i finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the League stage as the top 8 all enter a playoff. This system means i can afford to give U20 players a lot of gametime and indeed many of my first teamers are now aged 19-21.

What i learned along the way:

• Accept that you will have to sell players and be smart about it. It's your only major source of income really. Request sell-on clauses, i often demand 50% of future fee
  • Make sure contract renewals are handled early and well. Be wary of big players demanding 'Foreign club release clauses' of pathetically low amounts
  • Going for every foreign kid from South America won't work in the long run. You'll have a squad of foreigners and only 5 can play in the starting 11
  • Fight tooth and nail for the best Chilean players and poach the best foreign youngsters you can
  • Rotate, rotate, rotate! I don't bother with the Chilean Cup and always field an U20 team and more so against poor opposition at home

How is it in 2016?

• Sitting on a balance of £22m, a transfer budget of £13m.
  • Facilities rated as around 19 out of a possible 20 (i can't be sure without using an editor to check)
  • Planning underway to purchase the Nacional stadium from the council
  • The best domestic based Chilean players now play for me with a sprinkling of amazing foreign kids
  • A weekly wagebill of just £65k per week with Ezequiel Cirigliano taking up £10k of that :D

My best foreigners

35komkm.jpg

Cost £400k from Peru. Potential to be truely world class judging by his attributes and the fact my Coaches say he still has room to improve! Had no bids for him yet, i've set his price to £13m which seems to be putting clubs off despite the fact he'd walk most Premier League teams!

10o2yp3.jpg

Another potential world class player, this time from Colombia. Signed for £600k from a small team called Santa Fe. Juventus, Man City and Real Madrid were interested in the recent summer so i know this kid is the real deal! His contract was up next season so i had to renew quick... his agent wanted a fee release clause of £2.5m. Not a chance! I managed to negotiate to an £11m clause, ideally like to keep him but i know he can't stay in Chile forever.

2j4dgnm.jpg

High hopes for this Paraquayan kid from Cerro Porteno, cost me £900k and training heavily as an Inside Forward. Regular starter for me now.

The home grown stars

1j29tf.jpg

Alazamora came through the Academy aged 16 and was rotated with fellow Chilean leftback Mena (he starts off at U de Chile). Well on his way to becoming a good fullback after heavy training focus on the fullback schedule and already Chile's number 1 leftback.

2nvqoh5.jpg

Jara came through a season later than Alazamora and was a slow developer. Already played for Chile in the Copa America and is my first choice RB now.

6qcmrn.jpg

Lichnovsky starts off with La U and it took a lot of heavy training to get his essential centreback attributes up to a satisfactory level since he was error prone previously. He's slow and not very mobile but his reading of the game helps him out.

i havent played in these leagues yet but im curious to know if you do how easy is it to lure europeans to south america? especially british players? and has anybody been able to lure any over?

really good thread. will keep an eye on for when am finished with my ukraine league and need a new challenge.

i havent played in these leagues yet but im curious to know if you do how easy is it to lure europeans to south america? especially british players? and has anybody been able to lure any over?

Easter European I found pretty easy to lure to Argentina, but I haven't tried any other leagues. I believe there is a limit on the number of foreign players aloud which is around about 4.

Easter European I found pretty easy to lure to Argentina, but I haven't tried any other leagues. I believe there is a limit on the number of foreign players aloud which is around about 4.

ok cheers srl88. i found in ukraine it is easy to lure players from anywhere in the world depending on finances. as i always see people buying south american regens in the british leagues i might start a game in south america and if the rules allow see how many british players i can attract and see how well they do. it all depends on this limit on the number of foriegn players allowed in which leagues.

There's no chance of attracting British players or French, Germans, Spanish etc. The Leagues aren't rated highly enough and South America as a continent isn't as rated as highly as Europe so the players never want to move there.

I guess the thing about managing in South America is that you have to manage within South America itself, but it's great when you get involved within it.

From my own experiences within FM12 with Santos with a team that won the World Club Championship a few times:

- Some of the Brazilians from leagues within Turkey, Russia, Ukraine were happy to move back to Brazil once our rep was high enough.

- Most Brazilians at top English, Italian, Spanish clubs were not interested, a few transfer listed players were though.

I managed to sign Coutinho from Inter Milan after about 5 seasons when he wasn't getting much game time there and most of the players in Russia and Ukraine wanted to move back home. I could never attact Europeans though.

Excellent thread but as someone who has always wanted to manage in South America, yet never took the plunge, it would be great if those who have could get more team threads posted.It always seems so daunting to me going into the unknown with the feeling of being alone. If, for example, i was to go and manage in Europe away from the UK i can find countless team threads yet outside of Europe there is very few choices available.

I think Brazil would be the best place to start for me as i know a few teams/players there. It is the tactics side of the game and the fact other people are in the same boat as yourself which i like about club threads. But if you can give as much info about managing in Brazil as you can then it would be very helpful. For example the style of tactics, squad building, do you really need a 50 man squad (slight exaggeration) and if you could recommend any teams.

Off to work soon, but i'll post something in-depth for you tomorrow afternoon :thup:

I had 10 seasons with Santos in FM12 and Brazil is definitely the 'easier' of the South American Leagues.

- Brazilian season is January to December

- First part January > June is the State Championship, think of it as a regional League like a 'London League' or a 'Manchester League' with Utd, City, Oldham, Bury, Stockport, Rochdale playing in a League together. So some easy games and some not-so-easy games :D

- Copa Libertadores is also January > June so you can rotate the squad for the bigger games and keep squad players for the poorer State opposition.

- Second part July > December is the proper Serie A, the First Division of Brazil. It's a normal League of 38 games, no playoffs or anything else confusing.

- Copa Sudamerica is also July > December but the bigger Brazilian teams won't be playing in this so you can concentrate on the League challenge.

I'll add more tomorrow :)

Great thread idea swisso, and good information.

I managed Santos successfully in FM11 and Sao Paulo not quite so well in FM13 where I was experimenting with a 3 centre backs system (partly because of the wealth of midfield talent available).

As you say, it's a bit different because of the number of games. There is usually only a few days in between each so the squad size is more useful than in any other country. You will find some some stiff competition in the State Championships for any Sao Paulo based clubs. The Brasileiro Serie A league is tough, and the Libertadores an interesting challenge.

Agreed also that it's not worth time trying to attract Europeans, in fact I always tried to make my squad as near to 100% Brazilian as possible. Signing other clubs young stars or 'returning' Brazilians was always pleasurable, although apart from SP the transfer budgets aren't great.

I don't know how many people play in Sudamerican leagues, and I have yet to try Argentina myself (Boca probably, Arsenal possibly) but Brazil is good if you want to enjoy the beautiful game somewhere different and don't mind a heavy fixture list.

Finally someone made a guide about South American football. Most people don't recognize how beautiful the South American football can be. On fm I have played with Velez Sarsfield, Sao Paulo and Barcelona (ECU) so far, but Universidad de Chile would tempt me also

Also if anyone knows what Countries to add for scouting etc.

Brazil is more strict with foreigners, i think it's 3 foreign players in the first 11? So with Brazil you really need to be loading the 2nd and 3rd Divisions and sending out scouts for the youths as quick as possible (see my scouting tips in the opening post)

I loaded all 6 South American Leagues and then as the seasons went by i added in England, Italy, Spain etc to see what was happening there :)

Brazilian sponsorship is massive as well, it's definitely risen in the last 5 seasons. Clubs like Sao Paulo and Corinthians can see £20m+ per season in sponsorship income so the League is by far the wealthiest in South America.

Brazil is more strict with foreigners, i think it's 3 foreign players in the first 11? So with Brazil you really need to be loading the 2nd and 3rd Divisions and sending out scouts for the youths as quick as possible (see my scouting tips in the opening post)

I loaded all 6 South American Leagues and then as the seasons went by i added in England, Italy, Spain etc to see what was happening there :)

Brazilian sponsorship is massive as well, it's definitely risen in the last 5 seasons. Clubs like Sao Paulo and Corinthians can see £20m+ per season in sponsorship income so the League is by far the wealthiest in South America.

Seeing as i will be keeping my squad as South American as possible then i suppose only loading them leagues would be sufficient. The sponsorship money sounds very nice but looking through the squads the debt in Brazil seems rather alot considering the relatively low prize money etc. How does the debt get paid off as alot of stadiums are rather small aswell?

I think some of the clubs are moving into new stadiums for the World Cup 2014 as well, so that'll be a nice boost to some of the clubs :)

I've looked at the clubs in 2016 and they're all financially comfortable. Corinthians have £50m balance, Santos have £30m :D

It's the sponsorship that keeps the clubs afloat really, ticket prices and prize money is rather small!

I always have a go in South America... this year ive struggled to get into a club, I like restoring old greats... but it seems reality is restoring them ala Penarol, Flamengo, Millionarios...

Anyway ill probably go back now ive read this as im tempted, its just a shame that SI don't either add Paraguay, Ecuador, Bolivia and Venezuela as playable leagues or at least give us an editor to actually replicate them.

Still going to have a good read around as to see who to be tonight.... maybe.

Always play in South America, first because, of course I am from there :D, but for me is more enjoyable to play the 19 matches tournaments, the posibility of being champion every 6 months, if you have a good streak you'll probably won the league, but it works both ways if you have a bad streak things can get ugly. Also the finances theme, you need to sell for big money every year in most of the leagues, except brazil, or you are going to suffer economic troubles very soon.

And when you defeat Man Utd, Barça, Bayern on the World Championship Club, oh boy, the joy!!

Finished the 2016 season finally! the final weeks saw games every 2-3 days and once we had games on Thursday, Friday and Saturday :D

The conquests from 2016:

First Division Opening Stage (lost in QF to Corbeloa)

Copa Libertadores winners (8-5 aggregate win over Corinthians)

First Division Closing Stage winners

Copa Chile winners

Copa Sudamerica winners (5-1 aggregate win over Cortiba)

World Club Championship (lost final to Juventus 1-0) :(

- We bought the Nacional stadium for £35m. Board took out a loan to cover the cost. Averaging 30,000 attendance and the stadium holds 49,000 so i'm not sure it was wise of me to ask to buy the stadium :D

- Sold Ezequiel Cirigliano for £7.5m to Santos, he wanted £20kpw and i wasn't prepared to offer that so shipped him out.

- Barcelona are sniffing around Crifford Atoche, fear we might lose him soon!

- Balance now sits at £18m, might ask the Board to expand the youth facilities to their highest setting.

Good luck! :cool:

About to start the 2017 season now, the 7 Foreigner limit is killing me really but some of my key players will gain Chilean nationality soon so that will help :D

I bought this Brazilian guy for £500k...

2r58aqb.jpg

And then sold him to PSV in Holland for £7.25m with 50% sell on clause. Last week he moved to Bayern Munich for £12.5m :D

From £500k to £13m in 3 seasons :thup:

Good luck! :cool:

About to start the 2017 season now, the 7 Foreigner limit is killing me really but some of my key players will gain Chilean nationality soon so that will help :D

I bought this Brazilian guy for £500k...

2r58aqb.jpg

And then sold him to PSV in Holland for £7.25m with 50% sell on clause. Last week he moved to Bayern Munich for £12.5m :D

From £500k to £13m in 3 seasons :thup:

Excellent bit of business, am hoping to start my new South America career this evening.

Ok am getting ready for a new career in South America, but more specifically, Brazil. I am torn between 3 teams and was hoping some of you may have some experience of managing these teams and would be willing to share any pros and cons of each club.

Corinthians

Santos

Sao Paulo

Sao Paulo and Corinthians have the money from sponsorships which is very useful as you move further into the game, they also have bigger stadiums so attendances can grow.

Santos aren't as cash rich and their stadium only holds around 27,000 so youre limited. Their facilities are perhaps slightly better though as is perhaps their youth squad. You also have Neymar :D

I guess Santos is more of a long term thing, Sao Paulo and Corinthians are ready to challenge now.

Will probably start with Antofagasta in the Chilean First Division. Had trouble deciding who to pick, then found out the majority of Chile's 120,000 Greek-Chileans live in Antofagasta, and as an ethnic Greek it seems a good a reason to start there as any :D.

It also looks like a pretty nice place (I have an obsession with managing in places that look cool).

Will probably start with Antofagasta in the Chilean First Division. Had trouble deciding who to pick, then found out the majority of Chile's 120,000 Greek-Chileans live in Antofagasta, and as an ethnic Greek it seems a good a reason to start there as any :D.

It also looks like a pretty nice place (I have an obsession with managing in places that look cool).

You could sign Giakumis Kodogiannis, who I think is the only Chilean player in the DB with Chilean/Greek double nationality :D

I'm managing at the continents extreme - NE Venezuela! I'll chip in and say that scouting some of the central american countries is often worth it - Panama, Costa Rica etc - as they often yield gems

EDIT: Candre, look after Arismendi

EDIT: Swisso - how do you successfully negociate an increase in the minimum fee release clauses?

I'm managing at the continents extreme - NE Venezuela! I'll chip in and say that scouting some of the central american countries is often worth it - Panama, Costa Rica etc - as they often yield gems

EDIT: Candre, look after Arismendi

EDIT: Swisso - how do you successfully negociate an increase in the minimum fee release clauses?

UTT, where did you get that Venezuelan league file? I've already have Bolivian, Ecuadorian and Paraguayan files made by myself, and if you share that Venezuelan file with me it will save my the work of doing one myself :D

So I have started my Antofagasta save. I loaded all South American leagues + Mexico since they play in the Libertadores. I won't bother adding European leagues because I have no desire to manage there, but I did load the databases of the top European leagues.

I wish SI would add Bolivia, Paraguay and Ecuador into the game because they deserve to be there. I don't trust edited files unless I make them myself, had too many 'crashes' with them so I won't risk that.

Anyway, really excited about this save. Let's see how it goes :).

Awesome :D

2017 is over with now

Apertura and Clausura winners

Copa Libertadores lost to Botafogo in 2nd Round (who went on to win!)

Recopa lost to Corinthians 10-0 on aggregate (International matches played on same date so i had no squad :D )

Copa Sudamericana won 4-2 (4-0, 0-2) against Boca Juniors

I've taken the Chile Manager job as well since i'll be providing the best Chile players for the future ;)

Swisso-after being inspired to manage in Sth America after reading this thread I've decided to start in Chile after being impressed by your success in Chile, however unsure as who to manage; I've narrowed it down to either Colo Colo or La U. Any advice on either from your experiences?

I've had a few great games in South America the last couple of years, last year with Santos and the year before with Boca Juniors. However, this year (thanks to this thread) I've decided to start as Universidad San Martin in Peru, and I'm aiming to be Peru's first Copa Libertadores winner.

Swisso-after being inspired to manage in Sth America after reading this thread I've decided to start in Chile after being impressed by your success in Chile, however unsure as who to manage; I've narrowed it down to either Colo Colo or La U. Any advice on either from your experiences?

Colo Colo have the better facilities and Coaching/Youth Recruitment, so their newgen intake seems to be better than mine.

The squads are about equal though imo, i preferred the U's because of their blue/red colours really, didn't fancy the white of Colo Colo :D

There's a core group of Chileans from La U; Lichnovsky, Herrera, Aranguiz, Mena, Castro and Martinez who are still with me now even in 2017 (

their PA's are around 140ish so they're key players in the League

)

I would say, if you manage La U's, don't ask the board to buy the Stadium, because it's a financial killer :D

Currently, all you pay is around £125k to rent Nacional every season, a bargain! If you buy the Stadium, the board will take out a loan for £30m or so, and you'll get charged £400k a month in ground maintenance, so whatever you do, don't buy the stadium :D

Another great thing as well, is that it's relatively easy to keep hold of massive stars.

I've a worldwide famous Defender now from Colombia and Man City, Real Madrid and Juventus were after him, but nobody has ever bid and he's happy to stay if i keep promising him we'll qualify for the Copa Libertadores every season ;)

Archived