Sports Interactive Community
Stuart Warren

*Official* FM 13 Update 13.2.3 - Match Engine v1339 Constructive Discussion & Feedback

Not played the patch yet but slightly confused that Thanksit's not showing a January Transfe Update database option when starting a new game. Is this just a tweaking improvement patch as thought SI would have packaged in a data update with this post January patch? Are SI planning on releasing one at all or are they just leaving it to the transfer update creators on the forum? Thanks

It's not a database update. It only fixes bugs. So no worry, the database update usually comes out late feb early march. But as usuall there is no way to know, it will be out when it's ready.

Started off alright in my first three games but since then the last seven have been a waste of time .Goalies uselessWingers no longer try and get to the bye line but always cut inside to shoot ( set to use the flanks and trained to attack down the flanks )Central midfielders and strikers now trying to run fifty yards and dribble past every one until they lose the ball (set to NOT run with the ball )My central midfielders with passing skills of 15, 15 and 16 now cannot pass a ball 5 yds even .They also now run with the ball to the opposition penalty area where if they do not get tackled turn round and pass the ball straight to the opposition stikers back on the half way line regularlyStill too many instances of players trying to kick the ball into touch off and opponent Also still getting throw ins being thrown straight to the oppositionPlenty of woodwork hits stillMaybe its just the animations but it now looks like 50% of all tackles by defenders are wild two footed lunges although i rarely get carded for them .It has now got to the stage where i was seriously thinking of throwing the game disc into the dustbin .
what PPMs do your wingers have? If they prefer to cut inside this could be he cause. When you say your midfielder cannot pass 5 yards I'm guessing your frustrations are leading to exaggeration. What is his pass completion rate? Remember if you're only watching highlights then things like missed passes or excellent skill will seem more frequent. Remember what might seem like "too many instances of" is often just "I'm frustrated I've played 10 games in an hour and I'm not playing well" try recording match of the day 10 times and watch one teams games 10 times in a row and you might see a similar pattern there. For example I'm a United supporter, and we see Valencia all too often just stop and pass back and sideways, rarely beating his man these days. But I've set him to RWB, why isn't he doing it? Despite your instructions, players have their own ways of following instructions and own PPMs that will sometimes go against them.
What is with the number of players who just walk around slowly with the ball?I'm starting to change my mind a bit about this update. A few more games and the only through balls I'm seeing are over the top attempts, and there is so much time spent with players just walking around slowly with the ball, marked by a player, while the 20 other players on the field just stand there and do nothing. I'm going to start a couple of new saves and see if the same thing happens.
what shouts are you using? You could be preventing them with your shouts. And watch a real match, when do you ever see players running about for 90 minutes solid. They'll play slower. Shouts and strategy changes mid-match will adjust your starting sliders too, so you might not be playing a way you think you are if you don't fully understand them.
Another couple of games on, still not enough through balls, obvious passes aren't being seen by my AMC 18 Passing 18 Creativity, 17 decisions or MC, 18 passing, 18 creativity. Just annoying as I was starting to get used to the last ME update.I hope FM14 won't be this broken
broken? How is it broken? What player are you talking about specifically, and how many through balls does he play IRL? I think some people expect to see every forward move end with a defence splitting through ball, it just doesn't happen like that, IRL, or in the game.
I don't understand this, my first game after the update was excellent, fast flowing football with great passing, good movement by players, loads of chances created etc, etc. I very nearly posted in this thread to say how impressed I was with the improvment.....Since the first game the whole damn thing has gone down hill fast, overnight everyone seems to have forgotten they've been updated and the next three games have been rubbish. the passing is now back to normal I.E. usually straight to the oposition, my 'strikers' have gone back to dithering about with the ball instead of just hitting the damn thing, I've conceded four goals as a direct result of defenders setting up on coming strikers, the goalkeeper keeps throwing the ball either striaght off the field or striaght to the oposition, my wingers, who used to be very fast and good at going down the line now amble along as if they are on some kind of nature ramble and everyone of my players seem frieghtened to death of putting a challenge in so just stand around watching. And what's with all this walking about willy nilly with the ball? Players in acres of space just seem to walk around doing nothing until they get themselves surrounded then they just whack it anywhere because they're under pressure. throw-ins are still naff and the back four still blast the ball as far as possible and usually out of play at the other end even when there's no-one near them,I'm going to try a completely new and different set of tactics and instructions but so far, not impressed at all.
when you say your passing has gone back to normal, i.e., straight to the opposition, what is your pass completion rate for games? I don't think every pass is misplaced. FYI I watched City play this weekend and the number of simple short passes that went astray was eye opening. Players don't always make simple 5 yard passes, but you're watching match highlights not 90 minutes, plus you're watching more games a day than the 1-2 games a week your normall watch so these 'errors' will seem more frequent to you. If your strikers are dithering try training them better, give them PPMs like hits shots first time. Payers holding onto the ball could be explained by your tactics and shouts. Without knowing what they are it's hard to comment. Are you using the shouts to play out of defence or are you just expecting your defenders to know that? Are you playing direct or shopper passing? I've not had any throws go to the opposition, how are you setting up your throw in instructions? Do you have enough available players?

Not played the patch yet but slightly confused that Thanksit's not showing a January Transfe Update database option when starting a new game. Is this just a tweaking improvement patch as thought SI would have packaged in a data update with this post January patch? Are SI planning on releasing one at all or are they just leaving it to the transfer update creators on the forum? Thanks

Tha data update usually comes in March. This is due to the russian transfer window that is still open...

Hi mate are you playing direct by any chance? i'm playing slow short passing football and it's not worked to the same level at all since the patch although i'm still winning not in the same way and probably getting the same level as posession as you which is ******* me right off and i bet your playing direct because that seems to be the way of success in tactics with this patch.

I'm playing short controlled football, and its excelling to do the better decision making and off the ball movement. So I wouldnt at all agree that you have to play direct to get success.

I played a full night on the new update last night, and its 100% better all round.

No more Maradona wingers skinning every player on the pitch and tucking it in from the tightest angle possible, no more 40 yard attempts at goal when there are much better options available, no more opposition crosses resulting in a back post tap in every time - those were my main gripes.

Overall, it just looks better, seem crisper, smoother and more realistic. Feels like my tactics are being properly represented by the ME, I have my team playing short, high tempo football and they are actually doing it... its actually enjoyable now, and I can see where I am going right and wrong, unlike before.

Having said that, I still think this patch has come too late, this is how the game should have been for the paying customer on release day.

Great work with the patch though.

After last patch i played 20 games and now ME looks more more more better. Nice work. :applause:

Pros: good passing

shooting fixed

good position's player

increased game's speed

Cons: seems many goals after 85th minute

however, the game has improved after last patch. After many reproaches i need to say . GOOD work SI!:thup:

Not going to complain about the patch because nothing could be as bad as 13.2.

Only played one game on my save with my same tactics and very impressed that my players are no longer smashing 30yd shots all the time even when long shots not set.

Thanks SI :-)

A few things I noticed with the new patch, using the same counter tactic as before that had got me over 100 league goals with 4 games left for the season end

1. My winger who used to dribble down right flank and had 20 assists so far, now hits a wall and cuts inside for some reason. Probably have to change my tactics on that, it was 'a bit' unrealistic before anyway

2. Total amount of shots looks now more realistic. I'm having a bit over 20 in most matched which is normal if you consider my team as far superior from my opponents (had over 30 before... )

3. My world class striker (over 50 league goals so far) seems to have disappeared. Also an issue with my tactics probably, have to adjust to opponents marking him much better I guess

4. I see through passes now, but almost all of them are over the heads of the defenders. Same happens for AI teams, so I guess this one is not my tactics

5. Too many poor backpasses by defenders leading to goals. I was seeing some of them before patch too, but very rarely from my own defenders and the rate seems to have gone up quite a bit anyway.

6. It's true what someone said before that goals now seem much more diverse and not just run down right flank, cross low and push ball to net

7. Scored 8 games in my 3 league matches, most of them from set pieces. Also realistic since my opponents are afraid of me and it's not easy to break their defences.

8. Had 3 injuries in those 3 matches. I wouldn't mention it since it could easily be something random, but I read in here that people are having an issue with that over longer periods

9. Didn't notice any significant difference in bookings. Seems the same as before if not a bit more lenient.

10. No more stupid long shots at last. Well, not many anyway :)

All in all, looks much better than before. Points 4,5 and maybe 8 could need some more work (especially 5 ) in my humble opinion. One thing I'd like to say though, it is a bit annoying having to change tactics everytime a new patch comes out. I'm playing a career game, now in year 2024 and I will be really frustrated if I find out that some of my players have suddenly gone useless (my wingers for instance).

The changelog looks good but in fact it's just another useless patch.

Good to see the money we pay for this overpriced junk is used for practically nothing but some incompetent programming.

Now my defensive players (with more defensive mentalities, roles and instructions in general) try to force forward passes as much as possible and give the ball away more often than before, when there are clearly several better options like passing sideways or even backwards.

Just another day at the fail office for sigames.

ps. Don't ask for constructive feedback when you're not open to receiving any. I know much of recent comments aren't that constructive, but all my earlier constructive input have been either deleted or ignored, and that includes cold hard evidence with YouTube videos. Your mods are doing excellent at covering up. And to general users that read this, just wait a bit to see this post deleted.

The changelog looks good but in fact it's just another useless patch.

Good to see the money we pay for this overpriced junk is used for practically nothing but some incompetent programming.

Now my defensive players (with more defensive mentalities, roles and instructions in general) try to force forward passes as much as possible and give the ball away more often than before, when there are clearly several better options like passing sideways or even backwards.

Just another day at the fail office for sigames.

ps. Don't ask for constructive feedback when you're not open to receiving any. I know much of recent comments aren't that constructive, but all my earlier constructive input have been either deleted or ignored, and that includes cold hard evidence with YouTube videos. Your mods are doing excellent at covering up. And to general users that read this, just wait a bit to see this post deleted.

Of course it will be deleted, its drivel. Moving on.

when you say your passing has gone back to normal, i.e., straight to the opposition, what is your pass completion rate for games? I don't think every pass is misplaced. FYI I watched City play this weekend and the number of simple short passes that went astray was eye opening. Players don't always make simple 5 yard passes, but you're watching match highlights not 90 minutes, plus you're watching more games a day than the 1-2 games a week your normall watch so these 'errors' will seem more frequent to you. If your strikers are dithering try training them better, give them PPMs like hits shots first time. Payers holding onto the ball could be explained by your tactics and shouts. Without knowing what they are it's hard to comment. Are you using the shouts to play out of defence or are you just expecting your defenders to know that? Are you playing direct or shopper passing? I've not had any throws go to the opposition, how are you setting up your throw in instructions? Do you have enough available players?

First things first, you're wrong, I'm not watching 'highlights', I watch every single match I play in FM at full match mode, which as near as damn it is a 'full match' and also I only probably play a couple of games a week, I don't get time to do anymore because of work and other stuff.

I have no idea what my pass completion rate is, I never look at the match stats because they are sometimes wildly in-accurate, I've proved this by physically sitting here and counting certain instances like, lets say fouls as an example, the match stats might say something like 12 v 9 but I've actually seen and counted 30 or corners, it might say 5 v 8 or what ever but there have actually been 15 etc, etc.

I'm not saying that everyone of my passes are misplaced or go astray but most definitely most of them do, even players with 'pass' as high as 15 still can't seem to string together more than 2 or 3 passes before they mess up. Yes, Man City might of had a bad day so might Liverpool, United, Chelsea and whoever else...... But they don't have a bad day every single day!

I have two strikers who scored 30 goals between them in 20 games, now neither of them have scored for eight weeks. the training suited them then so how come they suddenly now decide it doesn't?

And if it doesn't why aren't either they or the assistant manger saying so like they do when they moan about 'work load'? My other strikers have totally different training schedule but play exactly the same, wont shoot, can't score.

"Are you using the shouts to play out of defence or are you just expecting your defenders to know that"???? They're footballers!! I would expect them to know not to give the ball to strikers around their own penalty area without me having to tell them not too and no matter what instructions or tactics I use all the defenders (all who have totally different instructions) even when not under any pressure, will just blast long balls up the field so hard that it goes out at the other end for a goal kick.

You must be the only one playing FM that doesn't have naff throw-ins, there are countless comments on here regarding this. I've got one guy who has a 16 rating at long throws, despite me telling him to he's never thrown a long one yet in 28 games!

I vary my passing and tempo depending on who or where we are playing, sometimes slow and short, sometimes direct and fast, sometimes a bit of both..... makes no difference.

I do use 'shouts' but I think only out of frustration for the most part, I'd say in all the games I've watched they do nothing anyway, or at least they appear to do nothing, I've never once seen any change in the way players play so if the shouts do have any influence on the out come of a game there is very little, if any visual evidence of them doing so, so you don't really have a clue if your 'shout' is working or not no matter which one you try.

And when all said and done, didn't I say in my post that it could be my tactics and that I was going to try a completely different set up? So your point was ?

First things first, you're wrong, I'm not watching 'highlights', I watch every single match I play in FM at full match mode, which as near as damn it is a 'full match' and also I only probably play a couple of games a week, I don't get time to do anymore because of work and other stuff.

I have no idea what my pass completion rate is, I never look at the match stats because they are sometimes wildly in-accurate, I've proved this by physically sitting here and counting certain instances like, lets say fouls as an example, the match stats might say something like 12 v 9 but I've actually seen and counted 30 or corners, it might say 5 v 8 or what ever but there have actually been 15 etc, etc.

I'm not saying that everyone of my passes are misplaced or go astray but most definitely most of them do, even players with 'pass' as high as 15 still can't seem to string together more than 2 or 3 passes before they mess up. Yes, Man City might of had a bad day so might Liverpool, United, Chelsea and whoever else...... But they don't have a bad day every single day!

I have two strikers who scored 30 goals between them in 20 games, now neither of them have scored for eight weeks. the training suited them then so how come they suddenly now decide it doesn't?

And if it doesn't why aren't either they or the assistant manger saying so like they do when they moan about 'work load'? My other strikers have totally different training schedule but play exactly the same, wont shoot, can't score.

"Are you using the shouts to play out of defence or are you just expecting your defenders to know that"???? They're footballers!! I would expect them to know not to give the ball to strikers around their own penalty area without me having to tell them not too and no matter what instructions or tactics I use all the defenders (all who have totally different instructions) even when not under any pressure, will just blast long balls up the field so hard that it goes out at the other end for a goal kick.

You must be the only one playing FM that doesn't have naff throw-ins, there are countless comments on here regarding this. I've got one guy who has a 16 rating at long throws, despite me telling him to he's never thrown a long one yet in 28 games!

I vary my passing and tempo depending on who or where we are playing, sometimes slow and short, sometimes direct and fast, sometimes a bit of both..... makes no difference.

I do use 'shouts' but I think only out of frustration for the most part, I'd say in all the games I've watched they do nothing anyway, or at least they appear to do nothing, I've never once seen any change in the way players play so if the shouts do have any influence on the out come of a game there is very little, if any visual evidence of them doing so, so you don't really have a clue if your 'shout' is working or not no matter which one you try.

And when all said and done, didn't I say in my post that it could be my tactics and that I was going to try a completely different set up? So your point was ?

Simple test: Make a flat 442. Very Fluid and Zonal marking otherwise no changes. Use this role setup: FBRLs, DCd, WMRLa, MCs, MCd, AFs, DLFs. If the above happens still, it is not your tactic, it is something else. If the tactic is vaguely familiar and the players can't even find each other from 5 meters away under little pressure, it should be A) poor morale because of the losses you have suffered, or B) the players have no faith in you because you are either new at the club or have comparatively poor reputation. The solution to A) is to play as cynically defensive as possible to grind out a win or three, and the solution to B) is to start with a higher reputation than the club's. This will exclude World-wide reputation clubs from the list you can choose from and expect the players to give a ****.

I'm playing short controlled football, and its excelling to do the better decision making and off the ball movement. So I wouldnt at all agree that you have to play direct to get success.

i was saying that playing direct would be easier and stronger way to go about things. i must admit i don't have the best players on the planet but i believe 10 years into a save you can play any system or style of football you want in the end with the level of players & if you've been succesful your manager reputation. i've won nearly every game since the update but it doesn't feel like from a good tactic working like before it just feels like nothing also just had a game 30 mins played 1 shot each? i mean really i'm not a huge moaner normally but there's definately something not right here and although that is an extreme example i'm definately seeing a lot less shots on goal per game and a lot more injuries and red cards

Simple test: Make a flat 442. Very Fluid and Zonal marking otherwise no changes. Use this role setup: FBRLs, DCd, WMRLa, MCs, MCd, AFs, DLFs. If the above happens still, it is not your tactic, it is something else. If the tactic is vaguely familiar and the players can't even find each other from 5 meters away under little pressure, it should be A) poor morale because of the losses you have suffered, or B) the players have no faith in you because you are either new at the club or have comparatively poor reputation. The solution to A) is to play as cynically defensive as possible to grind out a win or three, and the solution to B) is to start with a higher reputation than the club's. This will exclude World-wide reputation clubs from the list you can choose from and expect the players to give a ****.

I'll try what you suggest and see if the 'football' improves, thanks. I'm not losing that's the stupid thing about it, the football is crap and my players are awful but I'm 5 points clear at the top

First things first, you're wrong, I'm not watching 'highlights', I watch every single match I play in FM at full match mode, which as near as damn it is a 'full match' and also I only probably play a couple of games a week, I don't get time to do anymore because of work and other stuff.I have no idea what my pass completion rate is, I never look at the match stats because they are sometimes wildly in-accurate, I've proved this by physically sitting here and counting certain instances like, lets say fouls as an example, the match stats might say something like 12 v 9 but I've actually seen and counted 30 or corners, it might say 5 v 8 or what ever but there have actually been 15 etc, etc.I'm not saying that everyone of my passes are misplaced or go astray but most definitely most of them do, even players with 'pass' as high as 15 still can't seem to string together more than 2 or 3 passes before they mess up. Yes, Man City might of had a bad day so might Liverpool, United, Chelsea and whoever else...... But they don't have a bad day every single day!I have two strikers who scored 30 goals between them in 20 games, now neither of them have scored for eight weeks. the training suited them then so how come they suddenly now decide it doesn't?And if it doesn't why aren't either they or the assistant manger saying so like they do when they moan about 'work load'? My other strikers have totally different training schedule but play exactly the same, wont shoot, can't score."Are you using the shouts to play out of defence or are you just expecting your defenders to know that"???? They're footballers!! I would expect them to know not to give the ball to strikers around their own penalty area without me having to tell them not too and no matter what instructions or tactics I use all the defenders (all who have totally different instructions) even when not under any pressure, will just blast long balls up the field so hard that it goes out at the other end for a goal kick.You must be the only one playing FM that doesn't have naff throw-ins, there are countless comments on here regarding this. I've got one guy who has a 16 rating at long throws, despite me telling him to he's never thrown a long one yet in 28 games!I vary my passing and tempo depending on who or where we are playing, sometimes slow and short, sometimes direct and fast, sometimes a bit of both..... makes no difference.I do use 'shouts' but I think only out of frustration for the most part, I'd say in all the games I've watched they do nothing anyway, or at least they appear to do nothing, I've never once seen any change in the way players play so if the shouts do have any influence on the out come of a game there is very little, if any visual evidence of them doing so, so you don't really have a clue if your 'shout' is working or not no matter which one you try.And when all said and done, didn't I say in my post that it could be my tactics and that I was going to try a completely different set up? So your point was ?
My point was trying to understand your setup more to try offer an explanation for what you're seeing in the ME. When you say most passes go astray that would lead me to assume your pass completion rate is <50% which I find hard to believe, but then again how many teams can actually pass and move like Barcelona... When talking about training your strikers, it was to give them preferred moves to make them more deadly. The ME updates have done a lot defensively, so previous instructions might have exploited a weakness. I'm not saying they did, just that where your strikers are strong, the defensive improvements might have made them less effective. Regarding defenders, it seems they're trying to play their way out of trouble. What team are you managing and who are the defenders? Perhaps they're not good enough today this way. About your throws, I never use long thrown, always short and make sure there are always three option to the thrower as not to concede possession. Have you trained your thrower with long throws the preferred move to try long bullet throws? You should also consider the weather and pitch size when looking today direct or short passing. You might already do this though. The shouts, when used correctly are very effective. You can see the changes. Out of interest do you manually create your tactics, and do you have he boxes ticked for team and player instructions where you've manually set them, i.e., manually adjusted the passing of a specific player? Or do you use the tactic creator and not manually adjust anything?

Just trying to help... And sorry if the formatting of this post makes it hard to follow, iPad removes all formatting before posting.

I'll try what you suggest and see if the 'football' improves, thanks. I'm not losing that's the stupid thing about it, the football is crap and my players are awful but I'm 5 points clear at the top

As I said a few posts above (#338), I experienced the same disconnected football before I made some changes to the tactic. It flows better now. Although it must be said that post #301 does not show that I remember the pitch conditions being very good at torino in that 9-0 victory, while it is possible that they were much worse in the 3-2 and 2-1 victories that were the first two matches with the new ME. I could check that out when I get home after work this afternoon. Another factor could thus be that the pitch conditions have gotten a boost to the influence on matches.

broken? How is it broken? What player are you talking about specifically, and how many through balls does he play IRL? I think some people expect to see every forward move end with a defence splitting through ball, it just doesn't happen like that, IRL, or in the game?

Well I expect an Attacking midfielder with 18 out of 20 for creativity and decisions 17 with high creative freedom and through balls set to often to thread obvious passes through to my forwards. I mean I'll take some screens and annotate them to show you what I expect.

Well I expect an Attacking midfielder with 18 out of 20 for creativity and decisions 17 with high creative freedom and through balls set to often to thread obvious passes through to my forwards. I mean I'll take some screens and annotate them to show you what I expect.
I don't think they're needed. How many does he play on average per game at the moment? And a through ball is a two-way action. You need the player playing the ball, but you also need the option ahead of him. If the sticker in front is more not anticipating the pass, facing the wrong direction, a deep striker the AMC wouldn't necessarily play the ball through to him.

OneUnited,

I agree through balls have got better on this patch. Still to few though.

However I don't agree with what your saying.

What Shoco is saying, is he can SEE a pass for the AM. So that clearly means the striker is in position.

Take the striker out the equation.

He then says the AM isn't even TRYING to make the pass. That was the core issue of the previous ME. I am not sure why he is having that issue now though, admittedly.

It also depends on the defence you are playing against how good the individuals are, how they are set up defensively and how you are setup offensively. Even with those stats I wouldn't expect your player to be setting up countless chances. What is his pass completion like? Is he attempting lots that you aren't seeing but are failing? Or the strikers aren't getting on the end of.

Not saying this is the case here but I think there is a disconnect between what people expect and what happens in IRL. 1v1 conversion rates for example.

Keepers do make makes IRL you know...they don't save everything or catch everything...I don't mind the odd mistake from a keeper here and there on FM. Makes it much more realistic.

of course but three identical mistakes in five matches is stretching it a bit don't you think?

OneUnited,I agree through balls have got better on this patch. Still to few though.However I don't agree with what your saying.What Shoco is saying, is he can SEE a pass for the AM. So that clearly means the striker is in position.Take the striker out the equation. He then says the AM isn't even TRYING to make the pass. That was the core issue of the previous ME. I am not sure why he is having that issue now though, admittedly.
The striker is key to this, because what good AM (as the stats here suggest) would play a pass when the striker is facing the wrong way, moving the wrong way, not anticipating the pass.For example, a DLF on support isn't going to be on the shoulder of the last defender anticipating a through ball, but a poacher would be. If he's playing with a poacher, he's on the shoulder, there's a clear gap and the striker is facing the goal but the pass still isn't coming then it could be a problem. Perhaps record a custom clip of these instances and upload them?

Post a screenshot of the player please.

Wonderful!!! Second game in after update and my GK has just received a back pass and just turned and banged the ball into his own goal!!! Has SI added a hidden 'Stupidness' rating into the game because if they have my GK is on '20'!! Not impressed -- least it wasn't a cup final!. I know GK's aren't perfect and yes I do understand the one-off stupid errors that can cost a goal (drop ball / spilled ball etc) but this was just blatantly wrong.

So - normal GK error or flawed ME? I dont know how to get the highlight of the incdient on here, as all i can get is an 'OMV' (??) file i think, so if someone could tell me I will gladly upload for all to see.

Cheers

Disappointed.

I played very few games so far with the new update, however I noticed poor decisions by players heading the ball, and badly, instead of taking control over it for an easy pass or back pass.

Fullbacks seem to work as they are supposed to, but yet the engagement for the possession of the ball from midfielder is setted to low in my opinion... they give too much time and freedom and space to the opponents.

Wonderful!!! Second game in after update and my GK has just received a back pass and just turned and banged the ball into his own goal!!! Has SI added a hidden 'Stupidness' rating into the game because if they have my GK is on '20'!! Not impressed -- least it wasn't a cup final!. I know GK's aren't perfect and yes I do understand the one-off stupid errors that can cost a goal (drop ball / spilled ball etc) but this was just blatantly wrong.

So - normal GK error or flawed ME? I dont know how to get the highlight of the incdient on here, as all i can get is an 'OMV' (??) file i think, so if someone could tell me I will gladly upload for all to see.

Cheers

Disappointed.

Head over to the bugs section, there should be a sticky explaining how to save & upload a match file, a keeper turning 180 & booting the ball into the net cannot be right although as you're the only one to have mentioned it in the thread I'm hopeful that it is a very rare set of circumstances that resulted in the idiocy of your GK.

I think looking back we made a mistake releasing the ME update we did just before Xmas. It was my call, nothing to do with Sega.

Thank you for that. Means a lot to me, for some weird reason.

My point was trying to understand your setup more to try offer an explanation for what you're seeing in the ME. When you say most passes go astray that would lead me to assume your pass completion rate is <50% which I find hard to believe, but then again how many teams can actually pass and move like Barcelona... When talking about training your strikers, it was to give them preferred moves to make them more deadly. The ME updates have done a lot defensively, so previous instructions might have exploited a weakness. I'm not saying they did, just that where your strikers are strong, the defensive improvements might have made them less effective. Regarding defenders, it seems they're trying to play their way out of trouble. What team are you managing and who are the defenders? Perhaps they're not good enough today this way. About your throws, I never use long thrown, always short and make sure there are always three option to the thrower as not to concede possession. Have you trained your thrower with long throws the preferred move to try long bullet throws? You should also consider the weather and pitch size when looking today direct or short passing. You might already do this though. The shouts, when used correctly are very effective. You can see the changes. Out of interest do you manually create your tactics, and do you have he boxes ticked for team and player instructions where you've manually set them, i.e., manually adjusted the passing of a specific player? Or do you use the tactic creator and not manually adjust anything?

Just trying to help... And sorry if the formatting of this post makes it hard to follow, iPad removes all formatting before posting.

I know you're trying to help mate and I do appreciate it very much but I'm fast losing interest in this game....

I've tried just about every combination of instructions/tactics/shouts that there can possibley be. I've used default, I've created my own, I've adjusted sliders, I've left sliders alone and on and on.......

The last game I just played is a perfect example of how silly FM is, a striker who had scored 18 goals in 20 matches until FM decided he'd forgotten how to shoot, finds himself with the ball at his feet a yard inside the penalty area, totally unmarked and onside, he's going to rip the net from there!... Oh no sorry, he isn't, he's changed his mind because the useless tactics and instructions have told him to turn around and whack it back to the centre mid-fielder who's up near the halfway line, come on, someone who never played before in their life would know what to do! Then if that isn't daft enough a few minutes later I concede a goal because a full back and a centre half are playing with the ball 5 yards out from goal, oppo striker headed goalwards, centre half gets a block in with his head but the ball only falls three yards away to the full back, the full back, who at this point is under no pressure at all, passes it back to the centre half who's standing two yards off the goal line, the striker is rapidly approaching so does the centre half blast the ball away to saftey? No, because he's a brain dead moron who hasn't worked that out for himself he passes back to the fullback again who's standing about four yards from him but the ball couldn't quite make the distance and stopped a bit short of the fullback, the fullback seemed to stand and give the ball a jolly good talking to but it made no difference, the striker was on it before the ball could react and slotted it in to the net. During this 'melee' the keeper was standing some six or seven yards away but could do nothing about it because I hadn't told him he could move......

I'm sorry to sound sarcastic but this game is really ****ing me off now, it never seems to improve.

Cheers

Disappointed.

Meanwhile, people get banned in previous pages for insisting that goalies are still useless.

So much for constructive critisism being acceptable and requested.

OK, I guess it's normal for keepers to mark players. Makes sense, I expect Fergurson to start using such keepers in the near future.

I'm tired of the fanboy-ism. If everything is player error, then I'll go back to FM12 where my players "miraculously" didn't so such errors. Now if that makes sense, right?

He bought Massimo Taibi didn't he? ;-)

So I hear this is the last patch for FM13 ME... what can I say? This game is so bad I haven't played it since december 7th. It's a shame. Why would I buy FM14? 32€ for a worse game than FM12?

I can't believe it.

I think in the past I noticed 1 or 2 bugs, but nothing that needed the game torn to shreds. Sometimes you score more or create more just because your tactics work and you've signed good players. There was no need for more through balls or less crossing, for some reason this is now replaced with stupid high balls over the top and an inability to do anything. Yes, you have to tinker with the tactics again but why should we have to?

The ME is now a joke, too many...as already stated...stupid high long or through balls, no creativity, players meandering around, players running in to each other, wingers consistently coming inside and about 5 highlights per game.

The one, constant, major issue has never been tackled...that being if you make a sub, at any point, in the second half then the game just seems to drift away without incident until full time.

Meanwhile, people get banned in previous pages for insisting that goalies are still useless.

So much for constructive critisism being acceptable and requested.

That's because you were wrong and since you're quite obviously Apos in a dupe account, you'll be banned again.

That's because you were wrong and since you're quite obviously Apos in a dupe account, you'll be banned again.

Ye, and so is everyone else claiming that keepers are still bad. Only the mods are correct here.

Is phild's GK own goal bad decision making as well?

Seems SI is like Microsoft and their Windows. Only every 2nd release is actually solid.

Every update is the same anyway. For the first few days everything is supposed to be "better than ever", then a couple weeks later the drawbacks start showing off. Those who bring up the drawbacks first and insist on them get banned.

And my name stands true. I didn't call any names towards anyone, neither did I break any rules. I did not deserve my ban, which is permanent by the way. So much for "constructive critisism".

I knew that I shouldn't have bothered after my initial ban in FM11, but hey, I thought times might have changed. Seems like they are not.

And I have personally defended FM13 a few times on the areas that it has indeed improved, but these are small letters when the time comes for actually judging what it hasn't got right.

But hey, I almost got banned last year for calling that the game has too many woodworks, now the mods themselves accept it. Makes sense.

Anyway, message accepted. Your game, your choices. Don't ban this account, I would like to have access to the tactics forums. I hope you mods can at least respect that notion that I like to get advice from there every now and then.

Not sure about anyone else but since the patch has been brought out, the wingers in my tactic have gone from my main men, providing many assists and good ratings, to being really poor and no assists. They seem to be struggling to beat their full back at all.

Just to illustrate the still lack of though balls I've took some screens of a recent game and highlighted whats wrong with the match engine:

paloschithroughballoppu.png

paloschipassback.png

verrattithroughballoppu.png

verrattipassback.png

petruccithroughballoppu.png

petruccishot.png

kiyotakethroughballoppu.png

kiyotakepassback.png

Here's a pic of my tactics for that match:

tacticsvsgenoa.png

I'd really appreciate it if the mods or anyone could provide insight whether it's the match engine or my tactics

The first one is a no-brainer, the other are not so obvious & the positioning of the opponents makes an attempted through ball riskier, maybe the low create freedom is stopping your AMC going for the through ball pass.

This all assumes that he forward is making the appropriate movement to encourage the through ball.

Ye, and so is everyone else claiming that keepers are still bad. Only the mods are correct here.

Is phild's GK own goal bad decision making as well?

Seems SI is like Microsoft and their Windows. Only every 2nd release is actually solid.

Every update is the same anyway. For the first few days everything is supposed to be "better than ever", then a couple weeks later the drawbacks start showing off. Those who bring up the drawbacks first and insist on them get banned.

And my name stands true. I didn't call any names towards anyone, neither did I break any rules. I did not deserve my ban, which is permanent by the way. So much for "constructive critisism".

I knew that I shouldn't have bothered after my initial ban in FM11, but hey, I thought times might have changed. Seems like they are not.

Get over it mate... lifes too short, its a game, id suggest you move on if you feel that stronly about it. It baffles me youve made a new account after getting banned to start going the same way with new account. In days of FML if you setup new account on same IP then you would get banned so crazy to admit your the same person who just got a ban :S.................. but moving on (swiftly)

Ok, to answer a few points:

- Wingers etc. I am pretty sure people who were getting success out of super dribbling players will have to tweak their tactics. But if you have a sensible set up and players to suit it then it shouldnt be too difficult.

- Through balls. Its better than it was but room for improvement in 14 and beyond, and of course if we do that we'll have to improve the defending, and then perhaps folks will still say there arent enough ;-) Its a balancing act!

- Yes this is the last ME update for FM2013, I will be up front about that. All the ME team are now working hard on FM2014.

- Keepers/bugs. Yeah of course there will be the odd one in there; with code as complex as this ME its impossible we find some issues until 1000's of people are playing it. Unfortunately we have to draw the line somewhere and work on the next game, as it is 100% impossible for the ME to be bug free. Its always a work in progress. Apart from the update just before Xmas I think we have improved it each time since the first beta appeared last autumn.

I think in the past I noticed 1 or 2 bugs, but nothing that needed the game torn to shreds. Sometimes you score more or create more just because your tactics work and you've signed good players. There was no need for more through balls or less crossing, for some reason this is now replaced with stupid high balls over the top and an inability to do anything. Yes, you have to tinker with the tactics again but why should we have to?

The ME is now a joke, too many...as already stated...stupid high long or through balls, no creativity, players meandering around, players running in to each other, wingers consistently coming inside and about 5 highlights per game.

The one, constant, major issue has never been tackled...that being if you make a sub, at any point, in the second half then the game just seems to drift away without incident until full time.

Are you serious? There were no central play in 13.2! The only thing the strikers did was to run 10 meters towards the goal and shoot from outside the box regardless of other, better, options. Wingers with some skill would run at an amazing pace with the ball glued to their feet through entire defenses alone and score easily. Crosses were the only way to consistently create danger. Players would gang up on wide players 3-4 at a time and leave 1 or 2 defenders against 4 opposition players inside the box (and still not manage to prevent the cross). There were so many blatant bugs that the game was severely limiting manager options.

If your team is incapable of doing anything your tactic has stopped working, as they always do every patch, unless the tactic you had constituted no actual advantage over whatever the AI tactics pull off. If that is the case for you every time a new patch comes out (no consequences), why not just leave the match to the assistant? So this is a good thing, you see. You have successfully created a tactic that made the necessary adjustments to whatever the ME allowed you to do within reasonable efficiency. Now the the ME has changed and you need to adjust again. It is normal, unless you adjust an imperfect stock tactic every match based on what you see. That begs the question, though, if you start every game with two-three shout combinations and regularly add a few more as the match progresses, why not make those improvements permanent?

To each his own, I guess.

As far as I could see yesterday 13.3 is a huge improvement, but FM13 as a whole has been extremely unforgiving when it comes to what works and what doesn't. There does not seem to be an upper limit to how awful across the board things become when the tactic is "bad". Passing and Tempo being badly aligned with roles etc seems to make keepers error-prone and players jog rather than run. A couple of losses after that, and the only thing defenders do is clear the ball wildly and strikers couldn't hit the Earth if they tried shooting at it. At that point, if the players don't pray to an altar in your likeness on a daily basis, you're screwed.

The first one is a no-brainer, the other are not so obvious & the positioning of the opponents makes an attempted through ball riskier, maybe the low create freedom is stopping your AMC going for the through ball pass.

Agree with this (for 2nd goal), he not only has someone all over him (cos he will with new physical mechs) he also has the covering DC likely to mop up. How is his decision making, maybe he decided it was in fact too risky and found it was more more important to keep possession.

Get over it mate... lifes too short, its a game, id suggest you move on if you feel that stronly about it. It baffles me youve made a new account after getting banned to start going the same way with new account. In days of FML if you setup new account on same IP then you would get banned so crazy to admit your the same person who just got a ban :S.................. but moving on (swiftly)

You need an account to be able to visit the tactics forum and I do visit that part of the forums oftenly, not actively posting myself but looking for tips, pieces of advice,etc.