*Official* FM 13 Update 13.2.3 - Match Engine v1339 Constructive Discussion & Feedback

When real football is so mad, ME/non-ME, how can FM ever get it perfect. Even if they could get it perfect, so many people argue about real football you'd still get a peed off screaming horde.

That's not a question, it's fact. If tonight's game (Liv V WBA) was FM it would be a bug reported. 1 gazillion examples of real life football that would be a bug here as well.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, I guess it's normal for keepers to mark players. Makes sense, I expect Fergurson to start using such keepers in the near future.

Enough now. Getting dangerously close to spamming. You are the only person who thinks it is a bug. It isn't. Deal with it and move on.

OK, I guess it's normal for keepers to mark players. Makes sense, I expect Fergurson to start using such keepers in the near future.

What on earth are you talking about? He didn't mark anyone, he came forward to intercept a through ball, missed it, took a split second to regain his balance, then tried to get back into position. Nothing wrong with it at all.

edit: Sorry wwfan, I'll stop now.

Man this is so much more fun. I played at home to United and chose a Defensive strategy with more direct passing so I could counter attack and a weird thing happened, my team played defensively and scored 2 goals on the counter attack!

I take it all back, obviously a honeymon period of 4 matches. Since then I've conceded about 30 goals and scored 1.

Obviously choosing the default Arsenal formation and setting strategy to Control means I should lose every match 3 or 4 nil.

Honestly what a load of ****. How are the default strategies so bad?

Well managed now to play almost half a season(since I shipped the wife off to bed).

I have to say I am enjoying it at a lot.

I have had a couple of games were I should have won but somehow I lost or drew,1 game were I got battered by Man Utd but pulled of a draw and other games were it pretty much went with the stats.

I must say I had huge doubts this ME could be turned around to make it anywhere near good enough to fit into the FM tag.

It is now the best ME ever in my books,I simply love how it plays.

It is a shame it took 3 months to make it play so good and I have always had a gripe with it releasing before Christmas just because SEGA said it has to.

Well done to the SI team,especially PaulC's team for getting the ME where it is now.

I take it all back, obviously a honeymon period of 4 matches. Since then I've conceded about 30 goals and scored 1.

Obviously choosing the default Arsenal formation and setting strategy to Control means I should lose every match 3 or 4 nil.

Honestly what a load of ****. How are the default strategies so bad?

But is that all you're doing?

The default Strategies are templates, not solutions.

It is a shame it took 3 months to make it play so good and I have always had a gripe with it releasing before Christmas just because SEGA said it has to.

This just isn't true, the timing is dictated by how long it takes to get to release stage once the summer transfer window closes, it's always been that way.

SI tell Sega when it'll be ready, not the other way around:)

The key advice from the tactic forum is if you're new to the game to not dick around with the sliders and stick to the basics.

Yup, it certainly works for me, select a formation, assign roles (really think about this) then replace players who don't perform in the role as you want them to.

• SI Staff

I think looking back we made a mistake releasing the ME update we did just before Xmas. It was my call, nothing to do with Sega.

But hopefully all is well that ends well - I think it's quite well balanced now!

My 3rd game with the new patch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvntFrlNNo0

If you can't see what happened there then Moretti randomly pumps a freekick nowhere near a Genoa player so Amelia decides to run forwards with no one near him and the ball goes straight in from 55 yards or something. Then in the post match comments it says "Moretti shows his class by scoring a freak goal". Looks promising.

This just isn't true, the timing is dictated by how long it takes to get to release stage once the summer transfer window closes, it's always been that way.

SI tell Sega when it'll be ready, not the other way around:)

That is not true to be honest.

Miles once posted that SEGA was on his back asking when the game would be released.

They of course want it released before Christmas so they can bag all the Christmas present sales.

Lets be honest here,FM is 1 of the few AAA titles SEGA has left and they need it released before Christmas.

SI are always under pressure from SEGA for the release date.

I don't understand why this leads to to such chaos for me.

Adjourn to the tactics forum, I'm lousy at advice :D but I will say I just do what seems football logic to me, pick a player for a role based on the need to link the layers of your team from front to back, ergo in a 442 I'll have a defending MC and a support MC, one forward will be deeper lying than the other etc.

That is not true to be honest.

Miles once posted that SEGA was on his back asking when the game would be released.

They of course want it released before Christmas so they can bag all the Christmas present sales.

Lets be honest here,FM is 1 of the few AAA titles SEGA has left and they need it released before Christmas.

SI are always under pressure from SEGA for the release date.

Exactly, they are under pressure to give the release date, they aren't told when to release it.

They may get on his back but he decides and they've always accepted his decision, and it's always released before Christmas because ot the summer window ending, in fact release date has slipped back over the years but that's because they can use the extra time not because of Sega's demands.

Exactly, they are under pressure to give the release date, they aren't told when to release it.

They may get on his back but he decides and they've always accepted his decision, and it's always released before Christmas because ot the summer window ending, in fact release date has slipped back over the years but that's because they can use the extra time not because of Sega's demands.

I would not like to be in Miles shoes if he ever said "yeah we need to wait until January to release".

We have no idea what the contract says but I am sure the SI team would have loved to have kept this game under raps for an extra month or 2,maybe even a larger closed beta and then followed by a month long open beta,this game is already good but would have been fantastic given that time,also these forums would have been a lot more pleasant.....that could now be FM14..time will tell.

Lots of people seem to be having positive experiences with this new patch but I've got to say my experience (so far) has been absolutely dreadful.

Towards the end of last season I had figured out a tactic that was working brilliantly for my team I won almost all of my last 10 or 15 league games to move from mid-table Premier League to very close to getting a spot in Europe, the start of my current season was OK, 2 wins and a loss against Chelsea but since I updated to the patch I have lost every single game, excluding one League Cup game in which I was pretty lucky to win. That's, I think 8 league games on the trot that I've lost (3 to last minute goals), in none of the games, however have I been battered, I lost to Liverpool 2-0 but every other game has been either 1-0 or 2-1.

My previous tactic relied on pacy wingers playing wide and crossing in or threading through passes for my strikers to finish and it worked very well, over the summer I brought in more depth to my squad to a tactic that was working brilliantly and now I have been caught with my pants down unable to change my formation drastically enough to compensate for the fact that the threat from my wingers is now pretty much non-existent.

My two wingers consistently receive the lowest match ratings, they're constantly giving the ball away; if I use the shout to retain possession they play ridiculously difficult passes which gift the ball to the opposition, I change the player instructions to short passing they smash the ball into the corners and it's pretty infuriating.

My strikers and attacking midfielder are trying more, ridiculous long shots than they ever did pre-patch despite me telling them to attempt long shots rarely they're shooting wildly off target.

My defenders have been, on the whole OK, they are, however suffering problems which seem to be affecting my whole team. Most notably when a ball is loose my players (without exception) stand off and let the opposition take the ball freely, I have no idea what I can to do counter-act this, if I use the shout to get stuck in - nothing.

Other people seem to be noticing increased numbers of through balls; I cannot remember by teaming attempting let alone making a through ball attempt and instead just pass the ball amongst themselves until eventually they gift the ball to the opposition.

My corner tactic which, whilst never particularly noticeable in its goal productivity now seems to be creating space for my players in the box. Great! However my full backs with decent (high teens) heading attribute head wildly wide from just a few yards.

Overall, I have tried everything I can think of to counter-act the obvious changes to the game but to no avail, I continue to lose games (just) and do not know how to stop this without drastically reshaping my team, which is something I am not in the position to be able to do and do not have the players to be able to do. I fear that soon the board will sack me and the work I have done over 8 or 9 seasons to get my Doncaster team into a decent Premier League team will be wasted because of a change to how the game works.

Just my experience so far. (Rather long-winded on reflection, sorry)

I would not like to be in Miles shoes if he ever said "yeah we need to wait until January to release".

,also these forums would have been a lot more pleasant

Dream on, they'll always be the same :D but yeh, I don't think even Miles would chance his arm that far lol.

Way better than 13.2.2, you can see it easily, just playing 2 or 3 matches.

But now I think that this ME has so few highlights (even in Comprehensive mode) and shoots.

I have played 4 matches with a friend (with City, United, Real Madrid and FC Bayern), and all of them had less than 10 shoots in total.

The last (Utd x City at Old Trafford) had ONLY 3 shots for each team :(

@ Joshwright111: Might be worth visiting the tactics forum. It sounds to me that, through no fault of your own, you've put together a tactic that takes advantage of ME holes, rather than one which is structurally sound. The former tend to collapse when the ME changes, whereas the latter remain stable.

Two things you could do. You could either read through some of the stickied guides or more popular threads, or you could start your own thread detailing your tactical settings so you can get some direct help.

Lots of people seem to be having positive experiences with this new patch but I've got to say my experience (so far) has been absolutely dreadful.

Take my advice, start a brand new save, I always do because there's no way I'll believe conditions in an existing save don't affect how the changed ME will perform.

At least with a clean start I can be sure of what I'm seeing.

Take my advice, start a brand new save, I always do because there's no way I'll believe conditions in an existing save don't affect how the changed ME will perform.

At least with a clean start I can be sure of what I'm seeing.

Well, he could, but let's be fair. You still think the wheel was a pretty neat invention :p

I think you guys have just answered my question for me. My saved game - first game with new ME. One highlight in the first half. One, and that was my goalkeeper dropping a forty yard through ball, falling over to allow the opposing forward to come from a long way away to score. One half with the new ME I know, but that was dreadful. I don't expect the Belgian Third Division to be good, but I do expect there to be some highlights.

I guess I will have to take Kriss's advice and start a new game.

Played 3 games so far

The Good:

Dribbling toned down, now its a real contest between a fullback and a winger

More technically limited players play direct passes run with the ball less and when they run with the ball they get tackled

Defenders win the ball in situations where you would expect them to, covering defenders are much more useful and actually cover now

More through balls from midfielders over the top

Strikers making some nice runs good movement off the ball

Free kicks being scored more likely

Central midfielders win the ball much more now

The Bad

Crosses seem to go in with pin point precision, I have a fullback with 6 for crossing yet he had the best game of his career and got 2 assists with beckham like crossing.

Maybe the dribbling has been toned down a little too much, my full back chooses to never run with the ball or gets tackled often he has dribbling 14, which is okay.

Still not enough through balls, creativity really doesn't give you anything on this game.

Wingers still run too fast with the ball evidence is a guy called sansone who with 14 dribbling, 14 pace, blitzes my right back (15 acceleration, 15 pace) and can't be tackled.

Much less chances per game for both sides, I've had 3 bore draws since the update.

I'll update as I see more.

First major bug for me

Win a penalty, players all surround the ref including the opposition goalkeeper, when my player takes the penalty, the keeper is still standing just beside the penalty spot and my player slots into an empty net, will go pop this in the bugs forum :thup:

Can I ask what leagues you are running? Are these games running with the full match engine? Also how far in are you? In my game I'm not getting any scores like this in CL.

next round of games in the champions league

a very poor juventus (my goteborg beat them) 7 steaua 0

man city 8 anji 2

• SI Staff
next round of games in the champions league

a very poor juventus (my goteborg beat them) 7 steaua 0

Would really need to take a look at your save game goat if you could upload it in bugs forum as without seeing the quality of squads 6 years in it's hard to know the reasons.

Moved to post for the first time after a while lurking. The ME seems to have made play much nicer, seeing some good balls through the air, and very few insane long shots.

However it's been a disaster for my Cambridge Utd team in League One. At update, we were in play off positions. First game won 3-2 away - cautiously optimistic but my team very rarely score three goals. After that - four defeats on the trot, scoring no goals. Thankfully I've just managed to pull an away draw at Doncaster, coming back from 2-0 down - don't think I've managed that in a few seasons.

Tried all three of the tactics the team are trained in. Seem like a few more penalties but then often have aggressive tackling so maybe I've been insufficiently punished.

Hopefully it's just a matter of getting to grips with it.

Wing play is now dead, just what I feared...

My winger beating three men before slotting home from 20 yards is in my imagination then, as was watching Neymar terrorise my defence from the left flank, creating two and scoring one.

Wing play is balanced, in that this happens occasionally rather than consistently.

My winger beating three men before slotting home from 20 yards is in my imagination then, as was watching Neymar terrorise my defence from the left flank, creating two and scoring one.

Wing play is balanced, in that this happens occasionally rather than consistently.

why deleted my post?????

Do not know how, but you can always leave the FM with a new error ..

I played 5 games and all the kicks total of 10 did not pass, no more bids, for any player who crosses the 2nd post cross to perfection and there is always a player who comes in and makes the goal ..

Another thing that makes me angry these postings are at the top, the quarterback throws a pass high and hits as if the passing skills of Xavi, Iniesta and etc. ..

I'm a fan of the Football Manager game since 2008 and never had to come to the forum to make complaints, but in fact this has to be the worst ever released Football Manager throughout its history, and not spend weeks trying to fix the game has barely kicks and that any crossing is the 2nd goal post ..

Anyway, here is my complaint, I never imagined it would come to the forum to complain about this game.

Just had a look further into my stats following my essay of a post, and noticed that since the patch over half of the goals I have let in have been in the 76-90th minutes of the game, has anyone else experienced this, my team seems to have massive concentration lapses at the end of games...

Try using a 352 with wingbacks...

Can I ask what leagues you are running? Are these games running with the full match engine? Also how far in are you? In my game I'm not getting any scores like this in CL.

I won 9-0 away against Torino season 6 with Lazio.

Highest score I have had in 2013.

I read this now and haven't got to the newest posts yet, should I count how many replies about this there are?

Archived