*Official* FM 13 Update 13.2.3 - Match Engine v1339 Constructive Discussion & Feedback

If you're watching only key highlights, nine times out of ten the highlight will be a goal. Try watching extended instead, that's the equivalent of key highlights in FM2012.

I would if it didn't feel like taking forever to complete a game, and it's not looking to nice having max speed and watching player fly around on ice skates. :D But that there are goals on most highlights wasn't my problem though, I expect as much. My problem is that the ME seem way to predictable and that open-play goals are too easy to spot way before they actually end up in the back of the net. What I would like to see is a more randomness to the goals, as it is I've yet to see a team actually build a attack from the back forward...they always break up play and counter. Though I suppose the most frustrating thing I've seen on FM12&13 are the bar hitting on the exact same spot, it's almost like a running gag in the game. ;) But I will try extended again tonight and see how it feels now...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played full season with last update and here is my final review: This year ME is POOR. I was enthusiastic after few games with 13.3 but its gone. Centre mids are useless, they are in the game just to give away ball to opp and make childish mistakes. Centrebacks pass the ball to opp at least twice per game. Wingers cant be stopped, the only one who can stop them is themselves when they decide not to run with ball. There are still many ridiculous long shots. Obvious through balls are not played. Goals are scoled almost only from counter attacks, goals from build ups are rare. I watch on extended and the ammount of stupidity is so high that I fear just to think about wathcing whole games. Well, I did that few times but i had to stop.

Possession switches so many times in games, it has to be at least double than in real life. But at the same time, defenders are too passive, most of the tackles happen in centre of the pitch. However, most of the times possesion is lost after midfielders do things that even amateurs wouldnt do and they do this on regular basis. Woodwork is hit in every game. There is lot of injuries. Games look like bunch of kids chasing ball. Players dwell on ball even in clear cut chances, they inexplicably wait seconds before they take shots so they are tackled. Throw in bug still not fixed, this is just shocking. Players are often clearly unaware of surroundings. Players try to win corners by hitting the ball to opp player too often. Players head the ball in situations where it is absolutely unnecessary. Players slow down when in possession so they get tackled dozen times per game.

There are many other dumb bugs I have not mentioned but Iam sure, in the end, everyone can see the same i can. This is my last rant comment since Iam too disgusted by this game. This is the worst fm I have played and I regret paying for this. I know this software is complex but when something is poor, well, then its simply poor. I hope this comment is not erased as it is obvious that posts that praise the game yet they have no value as feedback are kept and the same kind of posts but negative are erased. If anyone is still contemplating buying this game, you better think twice, people, believe me.

There are many other dumb bugs I have not mentioned but Iam sure, in the end, everyone can see the same i can. This is my last rant comment since Iam too disgusted by this game. This is the worst fm I have played and I regret paying for this. I know this software is complex but when something is poor, well, then its simply poor. I hope this comment is not erased as it is obvious that posts that praise the game yet they have no value as feedback are kept and the same kind of posts but negative are erased. If anyone is still contemplating buying this game, you better think twice, people, believe me.

I love it when people pretend they speak for me to.

as it is I've yet to see a team actually build a attack from the back forward..

I see loads, but then I watch 2D and often full match, 3D doesn't hack it for me yet but fortunately as FM is a management game I don't need it.

Stats and birds eye view are still the most rewarding way to play.

I see loads, but then I watch 2D and often full match, 3D doesn't hack it for me yet but fortunately as FM is a management game I don't need it.

Stats and birds eye view are still the most rewarding way to play.

What difference would 2d make to 3d in terms of building an attack? I can't think of any.

However, in response to saberhagen, I play in 3d and see lots of buildup play. Sometimes too much, but I know full well it is because of how I have my tactics.

its starting to sound like this years FM is a write off after being forced to buy 2 copies in the same household for the first time. Having scapped every file before having completed pre-season. Guess i'll find something better to do with my 2000 hours in future years...and my £60 :applause:

What difference would 2d make to 3d in terms of building an attack? I can't think of any.

None you master of misinterpretation :D but in 2D you can see that it actually does happen, especially if you watch a whole match because many of these don't actually result in goals so don't make the highlights.

, as it is I've yet to see a team actually build a attack from the back forward...they always break up play and counter. Though I suppose the most frustrating thing I've seen on FM12&13 are the bar hitting on the exact same spot, it's almost like a running gag in the game. ;) But I will try extended again tonight and see how it feels now...

I live to serve...here you go...a goal built from the back..[video=youtube;umQ-LyQZHWY]

I finally see direct free kicks being scored, more often as IRL, and not once in a whole season!

Some good and logical through balls. Less stupid long shots. Less Messi style runs/goals from my wingers, playmakers and poacher. :(:)

Overall I think this ME is definitely an improvement.

Even though, it seems I still keep winning easily every single match. I think AI should improve in terms of build up their own teams. Right now, at 2025 I notice the majotiry of opposition teams are VERY WEAK. Even the big rivals.

I played full season with last update and here is my final review: This year ME is POOR. I was enthusiastic after few games with 13.3 but its gone. Centre mids are useless, they are in the game just to give away ball to opp and make childish mistakes. Centrebacks pass the ball to opp at least twice per game.

I stopped here on your post. You really telling me a centreback only gives the ball away twice in real life? Maybe the best centre backs in the world only give the ball away a few times a game but what do you expect Xavi like passing from John Terry? I do wonder whether people have ever watched a game of football.

Depends on how you interpret his statement. To me, he is saying that his CB who is under no pressure passes straight to an opposing striker, who is then through on goal, rather than play a simple ball to a teammate or just clear it....but I say that because I've seen this too and it seems illogical and unrealistic.

Of course it would help if he clarified the situation though.

Keepers are still idiotic when it comes to playing the ball out, just had 3 defenders free to pass two but the keeper kicks it past those to an attacker who scores.

Defenders also seem to be incredibly poor for marking and tracking attackers, whether it is corners or indirect free kicks.

Definitely needs a new patch.

Not seen many through balls at all and there are still lots of long shots, despite having everyone set to not take long shots(no PPM for it either).

You are correct! This game needs urgently a new patch.

There is no agression from de oponnents defence.

The players are always doing a short passing game (possession game) like Barcelona. I think this happens because it´s almost impossible making a through ball by the ground because the balls rolls and rolls until goes out. The majority of through balls are by air. To me that is the problem of through balls.

It´s unrealistic the way the ball rolls in the ground.

Also the defenders are doing a bad job in marking players specially when the strikers are heading the ball.

To me this problems are evident and need to be fixed to make this game what it is intended to do: to be a realistic football game.

In the way the game is i don´t have any pleasure in playing it.

Really enjoyed this goal, in previous match engines the striker would have attempted a header at goal, and sent a powder puff effort straight at the keeper as he wasn't in a position to get any power on it. I've had a few goals like this, expecting a shot when a team mate is in a much better position, a la previous engines, I'm more often pleasantly surprised than annoyed with this version so far.

[video=youtube;KrVHltyQGRA]

It seems to me reading through these comments that people have either never watched a real game of football, or just have unrealistic expectations of how a game of football would be played if they were manager.Before giving feedback, are you considering that: players make mistakes, all the time. Passes—even simple ones—will be misplaced. Goalkeepers make mistakes. Defenders make mistakes. Reading most of these comments it seems that if you've lost a game due to a bad mistake, or you're not winning or you're having trouble translating your instructions into the ME the you're giving bad feedback.Of course there will be genuine bugs, but most of what I'm reading here is just football, the game we know and love.

Can't you just get him to unlearn the ppm?
No, he won't. I've tried.

I stopped here on your post. You really telling me a centreback only gives the ball away twice in real life? Maybe the best centre backs in the world only give the ball away a few times a game but what do you expect Xavi like passing from John Terry? I do wonder whether people have ever watched a game of football.

I mean that they pass the ball to striker who is 5 yards away. Dont you watch the games for god sake?

Really enjoyed this goal, in previous match engines the striker would have attempted a header at goal, and sent a powder puff effort straight at the keeper as he wasn't in a position to get any power on it. I've had a few goals like this, expecting a shot when a team mate is in a much better position, a la previous engines, I'm more often pleasantly surprised than annoyed with this version so far.

Yeah nice goal that

Every second on the pitch is fully simulated (it could actually be a smaller unit of time) & involves every player on the pitch, each match is calculated for the full 90 or 120 minutes, there is no time filler or guess work.

Wrong. The result is calculated before the ME even starts. The ME then attempts to give the illusion of a real-time game but in reality it is just making the already known result play out for you to watch. If you make subs or change tactics then the result is re-calculated to see if your changes made any difference and the ME runs to fit the new calculation. The current ME does it very badly resulting in the player seeing stupid GK errors or defenders that go to sleep / forget which side they are on etc. because that goal just has to be scored.

What you are seeing on the screen is not the match engine, it is merely the visual or written (commentary only) representation of what the ME has calculated to have taken place & I can assure that the engine simulates every action before you hit the play button.

Well I've played it for a while now and on the whole I am very happy with the changes. The game seems slower, but not in a bad way. I am so much happier seeing my defenders / wingers no longer taking on every opposition player 3 times before smashing their shot out of the stadium. I also haven't noticed my striker getting the ball at the corner flag, attempting to run it all the way down the touchline before trying to score at the near post - cos this was soooo realistic.

It's not perfect of course; why is it that my defenders seem to have lost their remaining brain cells? Half the goals I conceed now are from defenders making horrendous back passes or because they just stand around (admiring the lass with bleached blonde hair in row 7 that they have decided to take home) instead of actually doing something with the football.

No suprise though (and I am sure they leave it in to drive me insane!) is that the rediculous "player on two goals gets the next penalty" is still in the game. For the LOVE OF GOD please take this out or make it an option. I am not joking, this really, really, really, really, really annoys me - why do they insist on tormenting me so?

The injuries have definately increased since this patch. The patch came out just as i was starting a new season and the number of injuries I am getting so far more than before the patch. Yellows and Red cards have shot up as well. I am 12 games into a new season as Liverpool and I have had 4 red cards - I only received around two per season previously. Yellow cards are insane. Let me give you an example - I have M'Vila as a central midfielder and last year 1 red card and 9 yellows. 12 games into the new season - 3 reds and 12 yellows. Unsurprisingly I have just had a message to say that he is the most undisciplined player at the club in a season - i still have 2/3rds to go yet!!!

I have used the same tactics so it is not these.

Very disappointed!

Unsurprisingly I have just had a message to say that he is the most undisciplined player at the club in a season - i still have 2/3rds to go yet!!!

I have used the same tactics so it is not these.

Very disappointed!

But M'Vila is a nutjob. You say you are using the same tactics, but perhaps that is exactly the point. With M'Vila you need to adjust your tactics, give him specific instructions to calm himself down, or else he will go out crunching everyone and miss half the season with suspension.

Just finished 2013 season with Leyton Orient. Got three red and 66 yellow cards.

Ben Chorley nabbed two reds and Hérita N'kolongo Ilunga got sixteen yellows and committed 121 fouls. He's still one of my best players and a fan favorite, so I suppose can't complain..

Anyway. Without that duo, I wouldn't have had any problems with bookings. It clearly depends on your players.

Although.. Stevenage got ten red cards during this season and Bury and Notts County (who won the league) both got seven. Stevenage's Mark Roberts got four reds during the season. Odd considering that he's only got two reds during his whole RL career.

My opinion about that update is that defenders make much more mistakes! Like giving the ball to the CF opponent at like 16 meters from my own goal. Let's say defenders give goal to the opposition. And goalkeeper are just stupid in the way they act. Like going the opposite way when the ball is coming. But there are some positiv things, CF played better (maybe it's just me, don't know..) and players act a bit more realistic.

But M'Vila is a nutjob. You say you are using the same tactics, but perhaps that is exactly the point. With M'Vila you need to adjust your tactics, give him specific instructions to calm himself down, or else he will go out crunching everyone and miss half the season with suspension.

I have M'Vila in my side. He's averaging 4 yellows a season and has only 1 red in 3 seasons. It's clearly the dudes tactics.

My defenders are also not idiots. My goalkeeper is also not rubbish.

I guess I must be playing a different game to some of the people in this thread.

Great assist from your foward! :thup:

What instructions did you give him? Targetman?

I have M'Vila in my side. He's averaging 4 yellows a season and has only 1 red in 3 seasons. It's clearly the dudes tactics.

My defenders are also not idiots. My goalkeeper is also not rubbish.

I guess I must be playing a different game to some of the people in this thread.

When a tactic doesn't work, absolutely everything becomes awful, including luck and who suffers from random events like violence etc.

it is definately not my tactics as Lucas (now sold) did not have a single sending off for me - OK his agression is a 10 and M'Vila ia 14). M'Vila I have had for 18 months and it is only this season (first 12 games) that he has gotten this bad, which co-incided with the new patch! Maybe i should just sell him and try one of the Bender brothers (no funny comments please).

it is definately not my tactics as Lucas (now sold) did not have a single sending off for me - OK his agression is a 10 and M'Vila ia 14). M'Vila I have had for 18 months and it is only this season (first 12 games) that he has gotten this bad, which co-incided with the new patch! Maybe i should just sell him and try one of the Bender brothers (no funny comments please).

Well if he's getting loads of cards for you and not for me then that definitely points to it being your tactics.

So disappointed that this is the final patch. It's one of the worst ME's I can remember playing on.

The defending is bad. Goalkeepers and defenders still do unfathomable things. The marking from my center backs is non existent sometimes as they all just stand around watching somebody score a goal from a cross. For instance, if you have a spare defender, he doesn't seem to help the situation, it just seems to confuse the two defenders nearest and neither one of them end up picking up the attacker (or is it this collision thing again?).

The ball movement is awful. It picks up speed like a ball would on an old fake pitch, or a slick pitch. This apparently isn't a problem, so I here, from the people in SI towers which I find baffling.

This new collision thing seems to have caused serious problems as well. My players running into each other, passes being intercepted by my own team team mates when the ball hits them in the back, or the side. It's happening way too much and is so frustrating and completely unrealistic.

Was this collision thing added to enhance the game? Because for me, it's ruined it. Or am I correct in thinking it was introduced to stop some of the ME exploits?

What are his PPMs? Does he have dives into tackles?
So disappointed that this is the final patch. It's one of the worst ME's I can remember playing on.The defending is bad. Goalkeepers and defenders still do unfathomable things. The marking from my center backs is non existent sometimes as they all just stand around watching somebody score a goal from a cross. For instance, if you have a spare defender, he doesn't seem to help the situation, it just seems to confuse the two defenders nearest and neither one of them end up picking up the attacker (or is it this collision thing again?).The ball movement is awful. It picks up speed like a ball would on an old fake pitch, or an ice rink. This apparently isn't a problem, so I here, from the people in SI towers which I find baffling.This new collision thing seems to have caused serious problems as well. My players running into each other, passes being intercepted by my own team team mates when the ball hits them in the back, or the side. It's happening way too much and is so frustrating and completely unrealistic.Was this collision thing added to enhance the game? Because for me, it's ruined it. And am I correct in thinking it was introduced to stop some of the ME exploits?
Would you refer strikers to be able to run through defenders to score?

Absolutely, if it put a stop to this comical show of my own players running into each other and the ball constantly hitting them from their own passes.

If something cant be implemented properly then don't implement it. Though SI are well known for putting things in FM that don't work properly, to be treated as a work in progress.

Would you refer strikers to be able to run through defenders to score?
Or the passes to just ghost through his own teammates when they run in the way? Balls cant go through people you know, pretty obvious.

If your teammates are getting in each other's way, that suggests your tactics are crowding that area of the pitch too much

Or the passes to just ghost through his own teammates when they run in the way? Balls cant go through people you know, pretty obvious.

If your teammates are getting in each other's way, that suggests your tactics are crowding that area of the pitch too much

So you're using a reality argument? Okay, I'll counter that with my own; It's completely unrealistic for a pass to hit your own team mate so many times during 90mins of football. People don't constantly get in the way of their own teams passes you know (or run into each other and tackle the ball), it's pretty obvious.

It maybe my tactics, but if that is the case then the ME is worse than I thought as I'm using realistic, non exploiting tactics and I hear certain mods banging on about how if you use a realistic tactic then it should work on each patch.

Here's a list of 3+ red card players from my latest season:

• Kyle McFadzean D© : Marks Opponent Tightly, Does Not Dive Into Tackles
  • Neal Bishop M© : Dives Into Tackles
  • Alan Sheehan D(L) : Dives Into Tackles
  • Mark Roberts D© : Marks Opponent Tightly
  • Marnick Vermijl D® : --
  • Tal Ben-Haim D© : Marks Opponent Tightly, Does Not Dive Into Tackles
  • Jason Lowe M© : Dives Into Tackles
  • Anthony Wordsworth M(LC) : --
  • Tom Huddlestone DM, M© : Does Not Dive Into Tackles
  • Carlos Cuéllar D© : Dives Into Tackles
  • Wes Brown D© : Marks Opponent Tightly, Dives Into Tackles
  • Ki Sung-Yeung M© : --
  • Jonas Olsson D© : Marks Opponent Tightly, Dives Into Tackles
  • Victor Wanyama M© : --
  • Andy Parrish D(RC) : Dives Into Tackles
  • Darius Henderson ST : Argues With Officials
  • Ashley Grimes ST : Argues With Officials
  • Bilel Mohsni D© : --
  • Ryan Valentine D(RL), DM : Dives Into Tackles

I do see some trends there, but not in PPMs.

Lot of defenders booked, compared to attackers...and some of these folks have never got even a single red card in real life.

The number of bookings seems fine, but the spread might need some work?

So you're using a reality argument? Okay, I'll counter that with my own; It's completely unrealistic for a pass to hit your own team mate so many times during 90mins of football. People don't constantly get in the way of their own teams passes you know (or run into each other and tackle the ball), it's pretty obvious.

It maybe my tactics, but if that is the case then the ME is worse than I thought as I'm using realistic, non exploiting tactics and I hear certain mods banging on about how if you use a realistic tactic then it should work on each patch.

I have noticed it at various points during fm13, but not recently at all, either in the current ME or in my last tactic I used in the one before. This would at the very least suggest that perhaps your tactics aren't as coherent as you think, but I won't pretend to be enough of a tactic expert to say that for sure.

On an aside note, you personally not understanding something doesn't necessarily make it bad.

I have noticed it at various points during fm13, but not recently at all, either in the current ME or in my last tactic I used in the one before. This would at the very least suggest that perhaps your tactics aren't as coherent as you think, but I won't pretend to be enough of a tactic expert to say that for sure.

On an aside note, you personally not understanding something doesn't necessarily make it bad.

No, you're right, but me not enjoying something does make it bad.

Wrong. The result is calculated before the ME even starts. The ME then attempts to give the illusion of a real-time game but in reality it is just making the already known result play out for you to watch. If you make subs or change tactics then the result is re-calculated to see if your changes made any difference and the ME runs to fit the new calculation. The current ME does it very badly resulting in the player seeing stupid GK errors or defenders that go to sleep / forget which side they are on etc. because that goal just has to be scored.

This is not how it works.

The match is simulated in full. It's not done in real time, yes, but it does not tack on a random sequence of events in match view just to show a goal being scored. Every action of every player is calculated. So if your GK or defender makes a howler then the ME has calculated him doing so. It might pick the wrong animation so some things may look weird in 3D but that's another story.

Absolutely, if it put a stop to this comical show of my own players running into each other and the ball constantly hitting them from their own passes.

If something cant be implemented properly then don't implement it. Though SI are well known for putting things in FM that don't work properly, to be treated as a work in progress.

This is hilarious, you have created a tactic that has little space for your side, where they inevitably run through each other and then when they try to thread a pass they hit each other. And your inability to make good passes = a poor match engine. Dude you take the award for the most ridiculous post I have ever read, just because you have these issues doesnt' mean the rest of us are. If a lot of us are facing it then its an issue, if the AI is passing the ball around you and NOT HITTING players then there is something to be said about your system.

I don't think the match engine is perfect and I won't claim it is, cos its HEAVILY skewed towards taking advantage of a combination of attributes and ppms. Now this is allowing some of us to make brilliant sweeping tactics that rip teams apart. Even if you don't take advantage of this 'edge' you can still make good tactics. Just because you can't, just means you can't play the game or its just too hard for you. And if you can't accept that c'est la vie.

Originally Posted by Mojby

What are his PPMs? Does he have dives into tackles?

M'Vila has no PPM's!

You cannot directly compare the discipline of two players & then infer that because they had different records that your tactics are not the reason, you've already pointed out that they have different aggression ratings & I'm sure it goes deeper than that, team tactics & player instructions are more than likely responsible.

Archived