Future Stadium names = Districts

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If SI were to go down the sponsorship route and were able to use appropriate companies for all the possible clubs it would be great, but I can't see that happening.

Personally, (and don't think I haven't thought twice about second guessing you) I do see it as a possibility, maybe not in 09, but the future.

If we take into account the deal done with IGA Worldwide then I don't think it can be ruled out.

That was renamed after Ernst Happel died.

In game stadiums are often named after players who are still playing or managers who are still managing.

Well, the link I provided said that, didn't it?

But despite that, it's still a stadium named after someone.

On the subject of stadium names, are they always in English? When I was managing Ajax we got a new stadium and it was called, wait for it... the Ajax Stadium. Lack of imagination aside, surely it should be called Ajax Stadion, or Stadion Ajax?

IIRC someone said something like this in the Danish data thread. Of course it's stupid if they're always in English. The Bruun Stadium just won't happen in Silkeborg (Bruun Stadion isn't very likely either, but it's a little more probable :D )

I'm expecting to be bombarded with examples now, but how many stadia are named after managers or players in real life? I can think of the Guiseppe Meazza (and that is still known as the San Siro) but no others off the top of my head.

Argentinos Juniors' stadium is named "Estadio Diago Armando Maradona," and is named after Diago Armando Maradona as he started off his career at the small team... like Milans Guiseppe Meazza

I manage them sometimes as an Argentine LLM although they are in the Primera Division

Thinking from the perspective of someone who has to manage a lot of data from time to time, storing the districts seems a little over the top, and still has its flaws. The main issue was brought up by Robzilla - you can get stadium names which don't take into account the language of the region. Whilst you can fix this in with a coding solution, a chunk of research and a few headache-inducing nights trying to work out the nuances of Icelandic naming conventions, or you could just let the local researchers record a handful of alternate stadium names for the clubs, whether they be named for a local area that the researchers believe would be considered, or after a famous figure from the past.

It's the easiest path, really. Besides, in any one game you'd expect a club to move stadiums once, maybe twice at an extreme. I'm not aware of how often they currently do, but it's no stretch to believe that in a game where the biggest league system is only six levels deep, any club planning their second stadium move during your management career ought to have developed to such a point where they'd think it useful to secure a location with sensible room for expansion.

Filling out each club with various areas would only serve to reduce repetition in multiple games, which considering it's solely aesthetic isn't really something worth the effort.

Filling out each club with various areas would only serve to reduce repetition in multiple games, which considering it's solely aesthetic isn't really something worth the effort.

I beg to differ, something that reduces repetition is always great in my book. For example, seeing Leicester move into Leicester Stadium in 2030 isn't nice to see, but the researchers would have to be careful with the districts they name. For those who live in leicester, who would want Leicester to move into the Beaumont Leys Stadium or St. Matthews Arena! :D

I beg to differ, something that reduces repetition is always great in my book.

With even five alternative stadium names per club, you'd have to play a few lengthy games in order to see a club end up with the same new stadium name. This is assuming that club experience the same success, which may occur if they're a sleeping giant but is much more likely to happen if you're the one managing them in multiple games.

And of course, if that's the case then a name being reused is the least of your repetition worries...

In my career game I have noticed that Tottenham are about to move into the originally named "Tottenham Stadium", Chelsea into "Zola Park". Both I think unlikely. Not many new stadiums are named after players of clubs.

Perhaps we could have a new field in the database of areas/districts in cities. Take the case of my team Southampton. We moved from The Dell back to our roots in the St Marys area of the city. So perhaps within the database each club could have districts/areas of the city they are in listed for potential stadium names.

For example

City = Southampton

Districts = St Marys, Bitterne Park, Weston, Northam, Millbrook, Woolston, St Denys, Bevois Valley, Sholing, Portswood, Shirley, Lordshill, Sholing, Harefield, Freemantle, Swaythling, Bassett, Coxford

Then for any new future stadium for Southampton you mights get a name using these sub areas. I'd be far happier with the game naming a new stadium with these district names than having a Le Tissier Park stadium. Obviously for towns/cities with more than one team you have to choose suitable district for each club, i.e. spilt Manchester/Liverpool/London/Birmingham into main areas for each club.

It would be like the club relocated to a different area of the city and would be a nice touch I think :)

This is a very good idea :-)

This is a good idea, you'd only really need three or four area names for each club, it's not like they're going to move more than twice is it? They don't even need to be full districts, just old industrial areas ripe for development would do.

Leicester's new ground was going to be called Freemans Wharf at one point and their initial proposal would've been Bede Island, both of which would've made great stadium names.

• SI Staff

I think a general field for new stadium names would be great.

For example for Lincoln you could have entries for Imps, Brayford, John Reames etc and then they could be randomly matched up with Stadium, Park, Ground etc.

Tottenham is a big (and vague) enough area that it wouldn't be very descriptive as a name. I suppose there would have to be a rather specific list for each club, especially for the larger ones. I'm struggling to think of potential future stadium names for Tottenham - 'Picketts Lock', 'Enfield Stadium', 'Edmonton Green', 'Lordship Lane' - not sure what else I can think of.

i no people say naming a stadium isnt the managers job but how about the board askin you if you have any suggestions of names

would that be more realistic

If you mean typing in a name for the new stadium then definately no.

If you mean it being similar to choosing a feeder club, they give you a list of 5 possible names which you select from, but the final decision is the boards, then i could see that working. Maybe only being given this choice if you've been at the club a certain length of time.

Although saying all that, i think if the research is accurate and varied enough, i would prefer the new stadium to be named by the AI, dressed up as either a board or fans' decision.

Honestly I'd rather researchers concentrated on getting club and player info right rather than making lists of districts/potential stadium names for every city/town/hamlet/village and club in the database. Not all clubs in the world are based in London, you know?

It wouldn't be a very difficult task for the club researcher - to compile a list of 5-10 possible new stadium names. It would also be rather easy to implement within the game, as it is already partially done - see Liverpool. It really would take no more than a few hours effort on the part of anyone, as far as I can see.

• 2 weeks later...

good idea,but..

example..i'm carrying udinese on the top of the world..win everything,big money..and then,new stadium..the actual stadium is called "friuli",the name of the region which udine is placed..

new names for it? in italy it's not so usual having stadium named as a zone of the town (san siro is one of the few,i suppose)..fiorentina stadium (and siena) is named after a chairman,many are named after saints (san paolo,napoli..san nicola,bari),but there are also many named after famous people who born/play/manage in that place..

so,how could your (good) idea be implemented with italy?

Put the district list in an editable file. Then the fans can expand it or customize it as they see fit, and perhaps a massive 'Accurate List of Stadium Names' would appear in each league. I'd bet 10-1 it would. Make these fan files downloadable from within the game (for the computer newbs who can't be arsed to unzip or install something).

Just make it possible within a career at a club, that the stadium not can get expanded at the boards will/your wish, but aswell omehow destructed (fire, earthquake, sold) whatever...

+ make the stadium names editable manually (like the nickname thing for the player)

That was on FA Premier League manager 99. It was stupid then, and I doubt it would be any better now.

Not many new stadiums are named after players or clubs.

In England, that's true. But I've just finished a swing through Serie C1A and in Italy, they seem to be everywhere.

But this is a great idea. Anything that stops naming a new stadium for the highest bidder is great in my book.

This is a really good idea although I think if you are going to have district you are probably going to have to have sponsored stadium names as well as this is becoming more and more prevalent in the modern game.

Can't think of a single one, what is far more common is for an individual stand to be named after a player or manager. And that in itelf usually (well, that I can think of) only happens after they die. So, if the practice is to be retained, perhaps there should be stipulations attached, like, it can only happen after the person has been on the fav personnel list for at least 25-30 years.

Surely the best thing though is simply to have researchers submit potential names for stadiums, which would then remove the risk of wholly inappropriate ones.

As for avoiding the use of advertising, surely that is the single most common method of naming brand new stadiums in football nowadays, so I don't really see why it should be avoided...

I think the naming of stadium idea raised in the OP is an excellant idea - on FM08 I had a long career game and after about 25 season the board finally decided to move into a new stadium, thinking that it would be cool to get the stadium named after me possibly ;), I was somewhat disappointed when they called it the Birmingham Stadium :rolleyes:

Also, from the post above, wouldnt it be cool to extend the naming to the stands as well - often when asking for capacity expansion a new stand may be built, these could be named after in game club favourites or succesful managers :thup:

Wander if its to late for this topic to be included in FM09 :confused:

Archived