Future Stadium names = Districts

When it has been mentioned previously, it's been said that SI would probably have to paid Coca-Cola, or whoever, rather than the other way around, which is why Kit Kat Crescent and Kingston Communications Stadium aren't named as such in the game.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i totally agree with this. i was 3 seasons into my bradford game when manchester city strangely and unecessarily built a new stadium (2012).

they then decided to rubbishly name it 'the book stadium' (after man city legend tony book)

no disrespect to the player, but was a crap name for unecessary stadium.

When it has been mentioned previously, it's been said that SI would probably have to paid Coca-Cola, or whoever, rather than the other way around, which is why Kit Kat Crescent and Kingston Communications Stadium aren't named as such in the game.

Pretty sure those grounds are named as they are in FM mainly due to the researchers choice.

I also agree with this. I've always found it completely uninspiring and flat out stupid to have a stadium named after you or to move into a stadium with a simple name -- I would very much like if it would be named after a nearby landmark, district (as mentioned) or perhaps even a past legend/icon that never played for you in the game. It might not be too hard to implement if they just attach each city to a certain landmark or enter the burroughs and their locations.

Why would SI have to pay the companies, if anything it's good free advertising for the companies if they consent to have their names/logos etc used in a game that sells nearly a million copies a season.

I hope advertised names stay a million miles away from the game. There are enough already. I'd have to resign from the club if the stadium was suddenly called AIG Arena or some such thing.

Use districts and other valid researcher-supplied names, that's a smashing idea :thup:

It depends on one country to another, for example Fenerbahçe's stadium is named after a legendary chairman of the club who also became the prime minister for Turkey. While, Galatasaray's stadium is named after its founder.

Yeh this is actually a great idea, and once again SI will be grateful for this brilliant community giving them free ideas.

Perfect example is Brighton and Hove Albion's new stadium is being built in a district called Falmer. Although no official statement has indicated whether or not the name of the stadium will be called Falmer Stadium, it has been widely accepted to call it that for the time being.

i totally agree with this. i was 3 seasons into my bradford game when manchester city strangely and unecessarily built a new stadium (2012).

they then decided to rubbishly name it 'the book stadium' (after man city legend tony book)

no disrespect to the player, but was a crap name for unecessary stadium.

Agree. An unnecessary stadium for an unnecessary club.

I'm kidding of course ;)

On a serious note, this is a great yet simple idea, one that was proposed two years ago from the looks of it and is much overdue to be implemented into FM.

The researchers could submit suitable names, so inappropriate ones would not happen.

I'm expecting to be bombarded with examples now, but how many stadia are named after managers or players in real life? I can think of the Guiseppe Meazza (and that is still known as the San Siro) but no others off the top of my head.

Santiago Bernabeau - named after chairman Santiago Bernabéu Yeste

There are also a number of stadiums named "differently" - not after a person or region and it might be nice to include a range of these - tricky to implement perhaps:

St Mary's Stadium

Stadium of Light - Sunderland

Stadio Delle Alpi - Stadium of the Alps - Juventus

Camp Nou - New Field in Catalan - Barcelona

Parc des Princes - Park of Princes - PSG

Celtic Park - Glasgow Celtic

I like the idea of stadiums mainly being named after districts but I think it would also be nice to see the occasional named after legends - what Blackpool fan would object to Sir Stanley Matthews Park. I know it would be difficult to implement but it would be nice to have the occasional stadium named after neither as shown in the examples above.

I like the Idea of having ground sponsored... I can see the Website announcement... Newcastle in an effort to raise it's profile with the female supporters have sold their rights to Carefree ... From 2015 St James Park will be called "Carefree Tampon Arena"

But having new Stadiums after Districts at a higher Percentage that club legends is a better idea

Maybe have it so that 1 in 10 new stadiums is named after a Club Legend (could be random generated so that it happens rather than having all stadiums named after districts)

I like the Idea of having ground sponsored... I can see the Website announcement... Newcastle in an effort to raise it's profile with the female supporters have sold their rights to Carefree ... From 2015 St James Park will be called "Carefree Tampon Arena"

:shudder: .

surely they would have to know every single district from most cities all over the world??

All you have to do is look on a map?

A quick Google of Plymouth for example brings up a map where I can see suburbs/districts/areas called Mannamead, Mutley, Ford, Stoke and so on.

surely they would have to know every single district from most cities all over the world??

If the researchers for each team did it then it would be manageable.

This idea is a good one for realism, having a quick look at the Prem on my go there are: Chelsea Stadium, Rush Park (Liverpool), Goater Stadium (City), Stoke Stadium, Klinsmann Stadium (Tottenham), West Ham Stadium, Everton Stadium.

Not very imaginative. And having a ground named after Shaun Goater?

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a further thought to my original idea...

Training grounds are generally named after the area they in. When the game currently upgrades the training ground the facilities improve but it always remains on the same site.

Would be good to see occasionally teams uprooting and moving to a completely new site and use the naming idea for training grounds from the database of researcher chosen names.

I'd hate that. I'm not sure of the district name that Swindons stadium is, but if we moved then it'd be something stupid like "The Penhill stadium", "The Pinehurst Stadium", "The Park North Stadium", "The Freshbrook Stadium" or something stupid along them lines

Although I like the potential for future stadium names featuring "districts" of their teams locality, it might not work so well with non-British clubs.

A large portion of Spanish stadiums for example, are named after people. In the lower leagues, a lot of them are "municipal" stadiums, owned in fact by local authorities.

Obviously the research of such an addition is important, but to be truly "realistic", it's got to be relative to each countries tendencies. :)

Without reading the thread I'll say right off that naming stadiums after a player is perfectly fine, bloody hell - Santiago Bernabeu ! Well, he wasn't a footballer, but still.

It sounds silly because you actually know (well sort of) the person (Zola or Lampard..), but Bernabeu sounds good because you probably had no idea that it was named after a person.

Still, it's a good idea to give different names to stadiums !

Again, I have no read the thread, don't shoot me: wouldn't it be nice if the board asked you for a name ? Like they ask you for a suggestion about the type of affiliate to link up with, or after a while even let you select the club.

On another note, could it be possible to accidentally allow a list of sponsors to be added into the editor by a third party which allows stadiums to be named after them? You'll get another dimension and a few unexpected names - like the Emirates Stadium.

So you'd prefer it to be called 'Swindon Park'?

No, I'd rather we kept it as the The County Ground - which is the most likely thing to happen.

But if we were to change it, I wouldn't like it if we were to just use a district name cause it'd sound seriously stupid.

We got two stands sort of named after districts. Town End is called what it is because it's the closest stand to town center, and Stratton Bank is officially called "The Shrivenham Road End" because it's technically in that street.

But I wouldn't want a stadium called "Penhill Park" or something like that

Having lived in Swindon and as a supporter of Town I'm sure there are a few other area's we could use, or at least suitable names. I'm guessing if we were to actually move rather than develop The County ground, we'd actually base ourselves outside the town itself but within one of the surrounding towns within the Swindon Borough. So then we have have a much better set of names in my opinion. Or if that fails there are plenty of other famous Wiltshire landmarks we could use!

Anyway, great idea this. Just hoping SI take note and finally implement this as the current naming system is a farce.

Having lived in Swindon and as a supporter of Town I'm sure there are a few other area's we could use, or at least suitable names. I'm guessing if we were to actually move rather than develop The County ground, we'd actually base ourselves outside the town itself but within one of the surrounding towns within the Swindon Borough. So then we have have a much better set of names in my opinion. Or if that fails there are plenty of other famous Wiltshire landmarks we could use!

Anyway, great idea this. Just hoping SI take note and finally implement this as the current naming system is a farce.

I can't see us moving. The only place that I can see the board wanting to move would be Shaw Forest, so it would of been called "Shaw Park Stadium" or something.

But theres already plans afoot and deals in place to start redeveloping the ground stand by stand, minus Don Rogers because of how new it is.

• 1 month later...

Ernst Happel Stadion, Vienna

Gerhard Hannapi Stadion, Hatteldorf

Stadio Armanda Picchi, Livorno

Stadio Giuseppe Meazza, Milan

Stadio Nereo Rocco, Trieste

Abe Lenstra Stadion, Heerenvee

Estadio Roberto Bettega, Asunción (Roberto Bettega is still alive)

Estadio Teodoro Lolo Fernandez, Lima

Eduard Streltsov Stadium, Moscow

Estadio Santiago Bernabéu, Madrid

Ali Sami Yen Stadium, İstanbul

Estadio José Nasazzi, Montevideo

thats what i could find so far...all these stadiums have been named after players and coaches

• 1 month later...

They were looking at building a new stadium over west swindon, so probably would have been something like Lydiard Park

i definitely agree this feature needs enhancing, stadium naming after people is rare and should be saved as the pinnacle of a FM career & other names can be a bit generic ... adding a field of potential names in the editor is the best way forward, not much effort on the researchers part hopefully will be improved on in the year(s) to come

And here's the first team to have a problem with this idea: Arsenal.

Arsenal Station = Arsenal Stadium :o

To be fair though, the tube station is named after the club, so its not that big a problem!

Surely the easiest thing to do, instead of districts lists, or players lists, every team should have 5 possible names hidden, one or two districts, maybe an ex player, the current chairman, and the team name, and then every country could have 5 possible suffixes for the stadiums, so english clubs could end up with 'district stadium', 'district park' or 'district bowl', and spanish teams wouldnt have 'grove', for example, they would have 'estadio' instead.

Yeah, I agree with this idea.

I also agree with that idea, but i think the are only the biggest citys like London, Manchester, Glasgow, madrid & New York that can have that choice i dont think your local team will have that choice

• 9 months later...

Bit of a bump here as I'm getting a bit annoyed with the number of stadia named after players in long term games.

In the Premier League at the moment in my game (in 2043), these are the names of the new grounds:

Aston Villa - due to move into Diego Arena

Chelsea - Lampard Stadium

Fulham - Griezmann Stadium

Man City - Tevez Park

Then in the Bundesliga:

Hoffenheim - Huber Park

Schalke - Sand Arena

Wolfsburg - Prager Arena

I love seeing new grounds appearing, but we really need a bit more variety in the names. I can't actually find a new ground that is not named after a player.

Yeah, this is one area I think could be improved a lot. Lots of good ideas in this thread for ways of doing it, too. The variation/plausibility just isn't quite there at the moment.

No shoes allowed in the Sand Arena!

I'm getting annoyed by this as well, in my Liverpool game I moved to the Liverpool Stadium, then on my Bridgwater game I moved to the Bridgwater Stadium.

Poor effort by SI on this one, more variety is needed. Perhaps this would come from each of the club researchers? Submit a list of boroughs, districts, local landmarks or even historically famous names from the town/city, and then the game can pick one at random.

Archived