Sports Interactive Community
AjaxNo1

Getting bored of losing - HELP!!!!

Im a footy manager veteran since the very start and this is the only one I havnt worked out.

Ive had 4 seasons with Gladbach in Germany and had 1 good run of form and got a league title, the same tactic that got me a 36 game unbeaten run got me sacked by November the following season

So Ive just took over a struggling Napoli team tried a new tactic and got battered in 2 games.

With Napoli Im trying a back 4, 2 holding midfielders, 2 wingers, an attacking inside forward playing behind a deep lying forward on support

The main problems I have and had with Gladbach are keeping the ball, getting it into the box so I can score, stopping their wide men running down the goal line upto the post and knocking it in and stopping them running through my team full stop

My defenses always seem to have 60-70 pass completion so thats where the possesion is going

I dont want this to start into a the ME is **** and this game is unplayable, just need a way of winning, I tried 100's (not literally) of tactics over the 5 seasons and with other saved games

any hints will be grateful

Confidence low? I find that, in this version more than before, if morale starts to sap, it's almost imperative to use some form of a parked bus to get a positive result or two to break the chain. Since the defense is having trouble keeping possession, you might try shifting that inside forward back into a fifth center-back, and play 5-2-2-1, allowing your fullbacks to be more aggressive, and making it tough for the opposition to get through you, even if possession remains a difficult task.

Thats probably the issue at Napoli Im more looking at the game as a whole, Ive had 2/3 a good season out of about 7 Im looking at a more consistent formula to try and win

I sort the club out from top to bottom get top coaches upgrade all the facilities but cant get it right on the pitch

The AI will counter everything you do.

If you play attacking, you will be told the AI is playing defensive and hitting you on the counter and that's why you lose.

If you play defensive , you will be told you are inviting the AI on to you and that's why you lose.

If you play with a wide formation, the AI will dominate you through the middle.

If you play narrow, you will get destroyed down the wings.

If you push up, they will get in behind you.

If you stay back, they will have loads of space.

etc etc.

I don't have an answer but that is what is happening.

Edit: typo

Confidence low? I find that, in this version more than before, if morale starts to sap, it's almost imperative to use some form of a parked bus to get a positive result or two to break the chain. Since the defense is having trouble keeping possession, you might try shifting that inside forward back into a fifth center-back, and play 5-2-2-1, allowing your fullbacks to be more aggressive, and making it tough for the opposition to get through you, even if possession remains a difficult task.

This is what I always do when on a bad run of form, just do whatever I can to stop the rot and if means playing ridiculously negatively, 5 at the back and contain philosophy then so be it and usually I can force a 0-0 draw, so at least I've stopped the bad run and hopefully can turn a corner from there.

The AI will counter everything you do.

If you play attacking, you will be told the AI is playing defensive and hitting you on the counter and that's why you lose.

If you play defensive , you will be told you are inviting the AI on to you and that's why you lose.

If you play with a wide formation, the AI will dominate you through the middle.

If you play narrow, you will get destroyed down the wings.

If you push up, they will get in behind you.

If you stay back, they will have loads of space.

etc etc.

I don't have an answer but that is what is happening.

Edit: typo

So is the answer to change tactics mid game to confuse the AI? Is that what the succesful players do?

So is the answer to change tactics mid game to confuse the AI? Is that what the succesful players do?

No! The answer is building a good tactic, something that perhaps you haven't done. :)

There is a great thread by wwfan in the tactical forum, about the basics to build a solid and consisted tactic.

The key, imo, to have sucess in FM2013 is having a tactic that creates space! So for example if you are playing too offensive, all the players will be inside the box, and they have no space.

Try having one of the fullbacks with attack role, and one of the winger with support role.

wwfan thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/332585-How-to-Play-FM13-A-Twelve-Step-Guide

Been trying that, guess I will get there at some point lol, the problem I have is if I play 1 up front I cant get into their box often enough, if I play 2 upfront I get over run in midfield and dont get possesion, had a tactic of back 4 with wing backs, a dlp in the anchor role, 3 cm 2 attacking and 1 support with 2 up front target man and dlf, it wont me the league then got me sacked, I never had all the possesion but my rb bossed itas he had all the space like you mentioned, do you go to dominate possesion?

I usually play in a 451 formation (or 433) and i dominate almost every game (even against big teams in europe). I play with Benfica (big favourite to win the portuguese league), so i'm guessing is a club similar to Napoli.

This is a pic of my formation. Pretty standard, with almost every setting to is default value, apart from some individual instructions that i changed to fit more the players i have.

25303623.png

Don't mean to upset you, but I am getting bored of Winning! :)

That doesnt bother me lol, hey proves like some people say this game isnt unplayable, just means Im crap at it lol

I usually play in a 451 formation (or 433) and i dominate almost every game (even against big teams in europe). I play with Benfica (big favourite to win the portuguese league), so i'm guessing is a club similar to Napoli.

This is a pic of my formation. Pretty standard, with almost every setting to is default value, apart from some individual instructions that i changed to fit more the players i have.

25303623.png

Ive tried formations similar to this, will give it a go thanks

AjaxnO1 is there somewhere you can upload your game so we can have a look at your team in depth, maybe play it for a few games and see if we can improve your success?

I do have it before I won the league, I have a freak end to the season lol

I will try with this season and upload it if after a few games I get no where

from your original post it seemed like you was trying to play against the match engine not the current opposition. Every team you play is different and have strengths and weaknesses, I use 3 different tactics and use them depending on who I am playing. furthermore you have to take into account the home and away advantage and changing your tactic mid-game if need be. Hey I might even change tactics two or three times depending on the scoreline and the situation at hand.

from your original post it seemed like you was trying to play against the match engine not the current opposition. Every team you play is different and have strengths and weaknesses, I use 3 different tactics and use them depending on who I am playing. furthermore you have to take into account the home and away advantage and changing your tactic mid-game if need be. Hey I might even change tactics two or three times depending on the scoreline and the situation at hand.

Ive never done this, but will try to have a few in reserve

Thanks

No problem, my main point is that I never relied upon one tactic to achieve success. In my Manchester united save in the second season I won the league and the champions league, you could say that it's quite easy to do so with the players and funds which were available to me... but you could say it was down to not having to pidgeonhole myself into playing 1 particular way when every team you play against are entirely different.

I have won Champions League by playing ONLY Turkish players / staff (for me, the game becomes ridiculously easy when foreign players signed, so I employ a "nationality limit" for myself) by defeating Manchester United 3-0 in the final.Since signing talented players and selling not needed ones for good transfer fees are very very easy in the game, tactics are the only real challenge on hands.If you really have an efficient tactic (most players do not), then winning matches becomes routine.

If you want to take a look, here is my tactic:

https://hotfile.com/dl/191555476/aa29ab8/geekiadss.tac.html

In a nutshell, defending with 10,5 players and attacking with 7,5 players....

Since I started using a target man (Llorente) and poacher (Diamao) in a 4-4-2 I've had a lot of success.

Yeah I agree Llorente is an absolute beast, he just scores for fun when you whip the ball in from the flanks.

And for the low low price of free he is an absolute bargain lol

You said your defenders are losing the ball: Tell them to play shorter passes which by default are much less risky and will give you a higher pass completion rate.

If you want your wingers to not run down the wings, change their wide play setting to cut inside or move into channels, that way they will move into more central positions to give your main striker more support in the middle.

Tell your full backs to get forward often that way it will give you more natural width and tell them to cross often

As for stopping opposition wingers there's little you can do the match engine has turned average wingers into messi like dribbling gods; you just have to wait for the patch unfortunately.