Short corners

How do I make my team use short corners? Obviously I set my corners to "Short" from right and left in the set pieces instructions, and set one player to "Offer short option". However when I get a corner, and even though the player offering short option is completely free for the pass, the corner taker simply hoofs the ball at the goal, just completely ignoring the "Short" instruction. :|

So how do I get them to actually give short corners?

Maybe his creative freedom is too high? The higher the creative freedom of a player is, the more likely he will disobey your instructions if he feels there is a better alternative. I once had this issue with a GK who didn't pass the ball to a defender although I instructed him to do so. Lowering his creative freedom somewhat helped to resolve that issue.

Maybe his creative freedom is too high? The higher the creative freedom of a player is, the more likely he will disobey your instructions if he feels there is a better alternative. I once had this issue with a GK who didn't pass the ball to a defender although I instructed him to do so. Lowering his creative freedom somewhat helped to resolve that issue.

If this is the case, it's a serious design flaw in my humble opinion... Suppose I want/need my corner taker to have a high-ish creative freedom in general play, but still want him to obey the corner instructions. Not to mention that it's not always the same player taking a corner... Do I really have to always track who from my corner taker list is currently playing and then set his creative freedom to low... just so he does what he's told when taking a corner??

Use a player that can not cross as the taker and then lower this creative freedom.

Sadly, it shouldn't be this hard, but that how it works out.

I tend to use someone that is neither good at crossing nor passing for the taker and then depending on what I want after, I'll use my crosser to come short OR a very good passer of the ball (think Lurker).

Archived