Building a new desktop which CPU to choose?

Hi guys.

I'm planning on building a new PC in the next week or so and i was just looking for input on which CPU would be more beneficial in FM

Would you recommend an Intel I5 ivy bride 3570k Or the equivalent Ivy Bride I7

Both will be overclocked regardless and I'm looking at building a desktop.

Other specs will be an SSD and 16gb of ram, GPU will most likely be a 7850.

I've already spec'd out an I7 but will i see any performance increase over the I5?

Thanks for the help folks.

Yes, the I7 will have higher performance compared to I5.(assuming we are talking about similar clock speeds here) Not a performance increase justifying the price difference though, but a higher performance nevertheless.

All my employees keep telling me that i5 is way better then i7 when it comes to playing games and game performance. dont ask me why or how as I have no idea. but they all say the same thing. and they all sell computers. so, taking their advice, go for an i5 and invest your money in tons of RAM memory. good luck.

Depends how much you've got to spend. The difference between an Ivy Bridge 3770K and the Sandy Bridge 2600K is minimal in pure performance terms. The main benefit of IB is the IMC which allows for higher memory speeds, although after a point any memory speed benefit becomes negligible. I still think a 2500K is the best compromise between performance and cost.

To the guy above, i7 > i5 and that's that.

Thanks for all the input so far guys I appreciate it.

Of course there are budget constraints but as i've already spec'd an I7 Build I'm not too concerned as i've already budgeted for that chip.

i believe that I5 Ivy doesn't support Hyper threading is this correct? and if not does this impact on FM performance at all?

Thanks for all the input so far guys I appreciate it.

Of course there are budget constraints but as i've already spec'd an I7 Build I'm not too concerned as i've already budgeted for that chip.

i believe that I5 Ivy doesn't support Hyper threading is this correct? and if not does this impact on FM performance at all?

No,it does not,but hyper threading is still questionable to how much an increase in performance it gives. It has its ups and downs.

good. I will tell all my workers they are idiots cuz you said so and then you can come and work for me. could always use a real genius. unless you work for NASA already?

Well, he is right. i7 > i5, simply. On raw performance of course, that's the reason of the pricetag difference...

Well, he is right. i7 > i5, simply. On raw performance of course, that's the reason of the pricetag difference...

not talking about performance per se. I am saying that in terms of GAME-performing, whatever that means. not some benchmark testing programs. Anyway, just tried to help the fellow out. and didnt need the attitude from the smartass there.

But then again there's the future. So I'd say go for i7 with its hyper-threading and stuff as it'll show the developers there are people playing the games with the abilities of the modern CPUs. It's the same with 32bit/64bit, and it'll be the same with all the other hardware developments in the future (and today). The game developers won't 'tune' their games for the modern hardware if there won't be enough modern computers that run the games. If we all would still be using the good ol' Pentiums and Voodoo add-on cards for graphics.. well you can guess what the games would be like.

-SnUrF

That wasn't the stipulation he made in his post. he said "i5 is way better then i7 when it comes to playing games". This is certainly the case when you look at FPS comparisons between the ranges on Tom's Hardware for instance (if we can take the "way" part of his statement as exaggeration). Either the i5 outperforms (not the absolute top of the i7 range obviously) or the results are too close to call. Either way, I personally believe it's an over-simplification to state that "i7>i5".

From the Tom's Hardware excellent hierarchy chart for CPUs:

CPUs priced over £175 offer rapidly diminishing returns when it comes to performance in games. As such, we have a hard time recommending anything more expensive than the Core i5-3570K, especially since this multiplier-unlocked processor is easy to tune up to 4.5 GHz or so with the right cooler. Even at stock clocks, though, it matches or beats the old £800 Gulftown-based Core i7-990X Extreme Edition in game tests.

(The article continues to qualify the assertion that i7 has few to no advantages whilst gaming - I won't quote the whole thing here)

That wasn't the stipulation he made in his post. he said "i5 is way better then i7 when it comes to playing games". This is certainly the case when you look at FPS comparisons between the ranges on Tom's Hardware for instance (if we can take the "way" part of his statement as exaggeration). Either the i5 outperforms (not the absolute top of the i7 range obviously) or the results are too close to call. Either way, I personally believe it's an over-simplification to state that "i7>i5".

From the Tom's Hardware excellent hierarchy chart for CPUs:

(The article continues to qualify the assertion that i7 has few to no advantages whilst gaming - I won't quote the whole thing here)

Well as you fail to quote the most important part considering FM gaming then I'll be more than happy to do it for you.

"Where we do see the potential for Sandy Bridge-E to drive additional performance is in processor-bound games.."

-SnUrF

Well as you fail to quote the most important part considering FM gaming then I'll be more than happy to do it for you.

"Where we do see the potential for Sandy Bridge-E to drive additional performance is in processor-bound games.."

-SnUrF

We weren't discussing just FM - we were talking gaming in general. And being as the continuation of that quote is that "an overclocked Core i7-3960X or -3930K" helps to prevent a CPU bottleneck in a system that has "a three- or four-way array of graphics cards" I hope you'll forgive the assumption that the quote isn't relevant in this case.

A 3930k retails at around £440, and a 3960x £780. If you feel the need to pay that amount for either of the i7s considered better than the £170 3570k and the subject of your quote above please don't let me stop you. I don't feel it would be a responsible recommendation for the OP though.

We weren't discussing just FM - we were talking gaming in general. And being as the continuation of that quote is that "an overclocked Core i7-3960X or -3930K" helps to prevent a CPU bottleneck in a system that has "a three- or four-way array of graphics cards" I hope you'll forgive the assumption that the quote isn't relevant in this case.

A 3930k retails at around £440, and a 3960x £780. If you feel the need to pay that amount for either of the i7s considered better than the £170 3570k and the subject of your quote above please don't let me stop you. I don't feel it would be a responsible recommendation for the OP though.

No pun intented but in the OP appears the line "I'm planning on building a new PC in the next week or so and i was just looking for input on which CPU would be more beneficial in FM".

But then again..

"Where we do see the potential for Sandy Bridge-E to drive additional performance is in processor-bound games like World of Warcraft or the multiplayer component of Battlefield 3. If you're running a three- or four-way array of graphics cards already, there's a good chance that you already own more than enough rendering muscle. An overclocked Core i7-3960X or -3930K could help the rest of your platform catch up to an insanely powerful arrangement of GPUs."

Now if you look at that statement from the point of view of a FM gamer, that doesn't make much sense. 'Processor bound games', 'WoW', 'BF3'. What's a processor bound game? BF3? I'd say no. WoW? not sure. FM? definately. If you take out of the equation all the graphichs stuff, you'll end up the i7 giving you more power for the really 'Processor bound games' that FM for example is.

E: Just a quick not to R0ca, get a good CPU (and for just for Piethief100 I'm running the early 920), get good RAM (8gig max perhaps), good MB, good SDD, and good GFX (I've got 560Ti, and belive it's good enough for FM). In general go for quality more than quantity.

With all the love,

-SnUrF

No pun intented but in the OP appears the line "I'm planning on building a new PC in the next week or so and i was just looking for input on which CPU would be more beneficial in FM".

But then again..

"Where we do see the potential for Sandy Bridge-E to drive additional performance is in processor-bound games like World of Warcraft or the multiplayer component of Battlefield 3. If you're running a three- or four-way array of graphics cards already, there's a good chance that you already own more than enough rendering muscle. An overclocked Core i7-3960X or -3930K could help the rest of your platform catch up to an insanely powerful arrangement of GPUs."

Now if you look at that statement from the point of view of a FM gamer, that doesn't make much sense. 'Processor bound games', 'WoW', 'BF3'. What's a processor bound game? BF3? I'd say no. WoW? not sure. FM? definately. If you take out of the equation all the graphichs stuff, you'll end up the i7 giving you more power for the really 'Processor bound games' that FM for example is.

With all the love,

-SnUrF

I would suggest before leaping into an argument, you follow the correct quote path:

All my employees keep telling me that i5 is way better then i7 when it comes to playing games and game performance. dont ask me why or how as I have no idea. but they all say the same thing. and they all sell computers. so, taking their advice, go for an i5 and invest your money in tons of RAM memory. good luck.
To the guy above, i7 > i5 and that's that.
good. I will tell all my workers they are idiots cuz you said so and then you can come and work for me. could always use a real genius. unless you work for NASA already?
not talking about performance per se. I am saying that in terms of GAME-performing, whatever that means. not some benchmark testing programs. Anyway, just tried to help the fellow out. and didnt need the attitude from the smartass there.

To which I responded.

We certainly weren't talking about just FM, as I have myself now intimated several times. Jesse was being unfairly hit with the incorrect assertion that i7>i5 - an oversimplification that is utterly misleading. The ranges overlap in terms of gaming FPS. The i5 3570k yields better results than many i7s when gaming.

At this point, I'm struggling to work out what you are arguing about - that the Core i7-3960X and -3930K are better performing CPUs than the 3570k? Of course they are! When tied into a single GPU system, however, I very much doubt that for all-round gaming performance you would notice much, or indeed any, difference over the 3570k as your bottleneck will be elsewhere. A point which I believe the Tom's Hardware article I linked also makes.

I would go for i7 simply because it's 5+2! :p

On a serious note: i7 will more likely become the standard in the near future now that sales of pc's that are equipped with i7 cpu's have almost doubled last quarter.

So in short we might see more and more developers start implementing hyperthreading into games.

If you want to keep it affordable a i7 2700k costs around 270 € and will basically meet all your needs for FM.

However if you want a cpu that can run for example Far Cry 3 in highest settings you need at least a i7 970, the cheapest 6 core/ 12 thread cpu, price is around 590 €.

About ram 6 or 8gb is best to start with, you can always buy more later on.

Make sure you have a motherboard that supports the CPU you want and your set to go.

And don't forget the importance of your power supply unit.

My previous computer was unfortunately build with a PSU that wasn't high enough for my GPU and by the time I found out I already had to replace it.

My apologies Piethief100. I'm probably somehow mistaken. I've got my reasonings why for fm, i7 would be better than i5, but obviously you have a different point of view.

E: To R0ca, look at what FM is all about. Number crunhing; memory access; disk speed; not so much about GFX.

-SnUrF

My apologies Piethief100. I'm probably somehow mistaken. I've got my reasonings why for fm, i7 would be better than i5, but obviously you have a different point of view.

-SnUrF

I can't get annoyed with somebody who shares my exact forum join date :) And for FM alone, I personally, for what little that means, totally agree with you when you say an i7 is probably going to be better.

The people I get frustrated with - and I'm afraid my frustrated tone rather carried over to my conversation with you... apologies for that - are those who blithely say that all i7s are better than all i5s for gaming in general. I think, I'll bury my crusade and head for bed though!

I can't get annoyed with somebody who shares my exact forum join date :) And for FM alone, I personally, for what little that means, totally agree with you when you say an i7 is probably going to be better.

The people I get frustrated with - and I'm afraid my frustrated tone rather carried over to my conversation with you... apologies for that - are those who blithely say that i7s are better than i5s for gaming in general. I think, I'll bury my crusade and head for bed though!

Damit, same bludy date!! :)) nn NEhoo :)

-SnUrF

Actually I work the for the largest independent PC Hardware review site in the UK. So I'll pass on your offer.

Just like to weigh in, an i7 gen 3 (ivy Bridge)--3770k for example--- will b better than an i5 gen 3 3570k regardless if used for games or otherwise, does the gaming performance match the price hike, prob not and that is why all these computer sales guys say the i5 is better for gaming, its purely on performance/cost ratio

The toms hardware example is comparing a older sandy bridge i7 to a newer ivy bridge i5, there is every reason why it would perform better for gaming

Anyway, to the OP, if u are on a budget the go the i5 3570k, however the i7 3770k is an excellent cpu and is not that much more in price..

Archived